Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually looking forward to the expanded midget

expanded midget..... wot

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Aeris death didn't hit me as hard as it seemed to hit everyone else on the internet. I liked Tifa better anyway ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Aerith was my Gold Saucer Date :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    expanded midget..... wot

lol

Midgar :D fecking autocorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really hoping they don't emo the game up as the original was full of charm and humour unlike everything that came out afterwards that spectacularly missed the tone of the original.

Not that bothered by the change in battle system. Ff7 had a pretty weak battle system and while turn based battle systems have yet to be bettreed by real time ones stuff like xenoblade have made turn based combat fun and tactical. And while people complain that ff13 was bad they forget that ff13-2 and 3 were excellent. Actually looking forward to the expanded midget as it was the best part of the original.

Thinks it's more a case of people not knowing or caring that 2 and 3 were good or not rather than forgetting, I got the platinum on 13 and gave it more time than most but had no intention of playing 2/3 after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good write up on the battle system and a very positive one.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-13-hands-on-with-final-fantasy-7-remake

Sounds a bit like type-0 with all the niggles ironed out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Aeris death didn't hit me as hard as it seemed to hit everyone else on the internet. I liked Tifa better anyway ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have no regrets about killing her either, I'm looking well in the new trailer.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't mind changes to the original storyline. I think that might be for the best in the sense that it means the original gets to stand in its own right. Sort of like how the GoT books and series differ in certain respects.

Also I think part of the reason the death of Aeris was so powerful was because it was unexpected. The majority of people playing the remake will know it's coming. With that being the case, if you really wanted to keep the impact and shock of the original's unexpected and emotional death, what should happen in this one is Tifa gets killed by Sephiroth rather than Aeris...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

nix wrote: »
    I'm actually hating they are showing Sephiroth so early in the game, have his voice in Clouds head sure, but to have him visible with full blown conversations and attacking is just dumb, they're removing the mystique from the get go... In the original we didnt even get a visual on Sephiroth in game until after midgar in the kalm flashback, and prior to the top of the Shinra tower you only hear of him as a great warrior in Soldier.. :(

And they may still go down that line for a bit I hope but the problem is we all know who he is and if they went down that route people be come on show the reveal

And they may still go down that line for a bit I hope but the problem is we all know who he is and if they went down that route people be come on show the reveal

Is it early in the game or is it in the Nibelheim scene from MUCH later on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Part of the problem with the HD remake is that with the addition of higher fidelity, more cut-scenes and a fully voiced cast, is that you lose almost all the nuance and ambiguity that was inherent in a more stripped down, silent narrative that played out on the PS1. Everything was implied, or hinted through the characters' broad gestures, or the char limits of those text boxes; on the other hand, I get the feeling the remake will consist of people standing around shouting what they're feeling.

Midgar :Dfecking autocorrect.

giphy.gif

Is it early in the game of is it in the Nibelheim scene from MUCH later on?

Oh I agree the reveal will be early maybe at the Shinra building before the bike chase

Oh I agree the reveal will be early maybe at the Shinra building before the bike chase

But it looks like the haunted mansion in Nibelheim, during clouds remembering of the burning no?

what should happen in this one is Tifa gets killed by Sephiroth rather than Aeris...

Wouldnt work, Jenova kills Aeris because of the threat she posses.. Tifa is waaaay down on the list :)

Also subverting expectations, it hasnt worked much lately in other pop culture outings :)

He wouldnt be revealed until after midgar though as he only becomes a thing when you get to the top of Shinra HQ and you dont actually see him until Kalm. So including him prior is just fan service instead of whats best for the story telling.

A lot of people that will play this will not have played the original, sure they may have heard the name or know what happens to Aeris, but they wont know the story or the characters.

I'm not sure changing the stories events will work out for the better :(

Aerith is killed because she can use the Holy materia, Tifa is not a threat to Meteor coming. No reason whatsoever to kill her

But it looks like the haunted mansion in Nibelheim, during clouds remembering of the burning no?

Are we talking about Sephiroth in the trailer? Its in an alleyway surround in fire, as they have only done midgar i assumed its a scene after one of the bombs goes off and Cloud loses his **** when hes escaping the vicinity..

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Aerith is killed because she can use the Holy materia, Tifa is not a threat to Meteor coming. No reason whatsoever to kill her

Yeah, also she posthumously pushes the planet along to use the lifestream against Meteor.

I have no regrets about killing her either, I'm looking well in the new trailer.

:pac::pac:

So maybe you shouldn't have killed her at all, ****ed your own plan up you did.

Also it's not Jenova who kills her, except if you look at it a certain way I suppose. Jenova's body is like the host for Sephiroth while zombie Sephiroth chills out in an egg thing, calling all the other body parts up north hoping one of them brings him black materia.

(Sorry to be a pedant about that but it comes up a lot on message boards :pac: )

Think it is a bit fan servicy to show sephiroth early. You never see sephiroth until you leave midgar but he is always a presence and is constantly bigged up during that event. You don't then see him until the flashback in Kalm.

Kind of ruins the build up but then the fanboys will be crying he doesn't show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We need to stop all this crazy talk about Tifa dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They would have to alter the original storyline if Aeris lived and another character died in her stead, which admittedly might be too big a move away from the original source material. If her death is to happen in the remake I hope they do it in a different manner and bring a fresh take on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Think it is a bit fan servicy to show sephiroth early. You never see sephiroth until you leave midgar but he is always a presence and is constantly bigged up during that event. You don't then see him until the flashback in Kalm.

Kind of ruins the build up but then the fanboys will be crying he doesn't show up.

I've mixed feelings on it tbh. On one hand the original story is relatively tight (ignoring some bonkers sidequests) but we all know it, so a few alterations might be no harm.

On the other hand it's supposed to be a remake so... :/

I'm actually more interested in how the Wall Market stuff is going to be portrayed in this PC age. Will they keep Corneo as a lecherous bigamist who marries the prettiest girl every night or alter him in some way :D

You see Corneo in a much gentler way than I ever did...

You see Corneo in a much gentler way than I ever did...

:pac: My innocent 12 year old mind actually believed he was marrying these women:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I remember playing the original for the first time and getting stuck at some point early enough, then thinking this is **** and turned it off.
    Went back to it many years later, when PS had it for free I think, and after much FF games (still have a soft spot for FFX). I had much more fun, even if the graphics were, not there.

Looking forward to this now, another time sink of a game. Think between FFX and it's remaster I clocked over 400 hours. I imagine similar times for this.

I loved FFX apart from that sudden and abrupt difficulty ramp just over halfway through.

FFIX is my personal fave if I'm honest, I liked the return to cartoonish graphics after the darkness of VIII

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Never really had issues until the endgame type stuff.
    Oh, now everything can OHK my entire team, wonderful.
    That and the Dark Aeon fights, some of those were tricky enough.

Which Final Fantasy has the mechanic where you had to draw out the magic. Looked great loved the story of the mercenary school but just could not get into it because of that mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Which Final Fantasy has the mechanic where you had to draw out the magic. Looked great loved the story of the mercenary school but just could not get into it because of that mechanic.

8 was gr8

• Advertisement

That was VIII.

Advertisement