Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sometimes I forget a large swath of gaming/gamers are stupid f*cking adolescents.

Discounting the media, who seem to exist in a Schroedinger's paradox where women can be neither included (as that's sexist) or excluded (as that's, also, sexist).
    Also woe forbid if they've got boobs, because that's perverted. But if they have no boobs, it's paedophilic.
    Woman too thin? BODY-SHAMING!
    Woman too fat? ALSO BODY-SHAMING!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

They do realise it's a game and she doesn't need a pixel sports bra to reduce/stop physics engine? In fact I'm 100% sure them NOT moving is the default in game development. Anyway her design seems mostly fine. I like the new thigh highs. The black bra thing is meh. They were added from input from their ethics department (lol boobs are unethical?) so not an artistic decision from the character artists.

Just FYI they're heavily changing the cross-dressing bar and related scenes, too. Can't have that kind thing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They must have thought all female characters were like the DOA ones

They do realise it's a game and she doesn't need a pixel sports bra to reduce/stop physics engine? In fact I'm 100% sure them NOT moving is the default in game development. Anyway her design seems mostly fine. I like the new thigh highs. The black bra thing is meh. They were added from input from their ethics department (lol boobs are unethical?) so not an artistic decision from the character artists.

Just FYI they're heavily changing the cross-dressing bar and related scenes, too. Can't have that kind thing anymore.

FFS Robert ninja, are you a clown or a shítstirrer?

The ethics department never said "boobs are unethical".
    They simply suggested that an athletic big-boobed girl wear a SPORTS BRA if she's doing SPORTY ACTIVITIES like jumping & kicking the shíte out of goons.

Kotaku actually put up an article, too:
    https://kotaku.com/what-tetsuya-nomura-actually-said-about-tifas-breasts-i-1835726320?utm_medium=Socialflow&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter
    Famitsu: But the clothing was also refined?
    Nomura: This time, visually there were things that were made quite real, and real-world clothing and accessories are being used as design references. For example, we’re referencing military (wear) for Tifa’s suspenders and martial arts and biker (wear) for the gloves. The full body silhouette hasn’t changed from the original image, and from that part, we’ve aimed to increase the minute details.

Famitsu: Since Tifa’s chest is large, was there any consideration also given how the rendering was done?
    Nomura: First of all, since we wanted Tifa to have defined abs, we made her more athletic looking. And then, there were also directions from our internal ethics committee that as not to make even the most intense action look unnatural it was necessary to bind [Tifa’s] chest. And thus, for her simple upper body clothing, we put a black undergarment with a fitting tank top for a fitness-conscious, sporty design.
    And of course they're going to change things like the Honey Bee Inn.
    It's >20 years later, not only have our social norms changed, but the increased polygon count would likely add too much uncanny-valley effect. Besides, it's a REMAKE not a REMASTER - they're changing up the game in general anyway, going full 100% clone was never their goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

If she had big flopping boobs while fighting she would look ridiculous, similarly if she had big boobs made of concrete that didn't move at all. So they gave her big boobs and put her in a sports bra. 4chan and reddit are still very indignant about this "censorship" however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's funny really, because from my memory I can only really remember two scenes were she did have the comically large boobs. I really don't get why people are angry about the breasts being made smaller.

They're still fairly massive looking like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I really don't get why people are angry about the breasts being made smaller.

Hi there, welcome to the Internet. You must be new here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hi there, welcome to the Internet. You must be new here ;)

I just can't understand how apparent grown ups and running around claiming SJW censorship when the studio decides to reduce the breast size to make them appear to be a bit less ridiculous and realistic.

I remember the first time we saw Tifa's tits flopping around during the scene in Junon and is comical, totally over the top due to the ****ty engine.

It's just a really childish thing to get so angry about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Nerds get angry about smaller computer boobs in shock twist

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm ringing Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The ethics department never said "boobs are unethical".
    I just think ethics have nothing to do with character designs so why the hell are they involved. I ain't angry at the change I just think it's meh and pandering. I assumed an ethics department would be reducing greedy practices that don't benefit the consumer (hello milking episodic format) or protect their staff from abuse. But nope, tits. The fact that they're chiming in with "Oh it only makes sense" in a wildly unrealistic game where punching military robots is a valid strategy... well that would be something a character designer or director should come up with. It coming from the ethics department is so obviously a move to avoid controversy and I doubt it was up for discussion.

But overall I really don't mind her design. There's more good changes than bad. I'm way more worried if it's going to play like FFXV which I thought was horrible for combat. If playing as Tifa (I LOVE fist-fighters in RPGS) turns out to be holding a button down until enemy is dead then I'll be skipping this one.
    Kotaku actually put up an article, too:
    And rags like that largely the ones causing this nontrovesry:

And of course they're going to change things like the Honey Bee Inn.
    It's >20 years later
    But of course, silly me. it's the <current_year>. That's a really good reason for <x_change>.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And rags like that largely the ones causing this nontrovesry:

:D:D:D Citing TheQuartering to back up claims of manufactured outrage :D:D:D

:D:D:D Citing TheQuartering to back up claims of manufactured outrage :D:D:D

The ratio of articles/videos that are legit angry about this change vs the ones complaining about THE GAMERS is heavily skewed towards the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Ah I hope they only add to the honeybee infiltration,that questline used to leave me in stitches .In regards to the combat I also hope they steer away from being like ff 15,I felt I wasn't involved in the fights at all!Also they need to do something about the larger enemies in ff15 I often found myself just getting absorbed by the monsters character model!(admantoise etc)

The internet is such a loud feedback loop of useless outrage that it's pointless and impossible to argue "oh it's the other guys who are more angry about <x>". Anyway it's pretty obvious that the "nontroversy" starts when someone decides they are upset over something stupid, not with the people pointing them out.

I also don't think Japan care nearly was much as we do in the West about scantly clad ladies in games. FFXV did not come out that long ago and that had Cidney.

I just think here they decided that the character would look extremely stupid with unsupported tits while doing kickflips and ****.

Will be interesting to see Scarlett in the new engine.

https://twitter.com/mombot/status/1142995519427371011
    I also don't think Japan care nearly was much as we do in the West about scantly clad ladies
    I thought SE went the Sony route where their standards aren't decided by Japan anymore.

Well that tweet sure showed everyone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If someone said it on Twitter, it must be true!

Well that tweet sure showed everyone
    It was pretty much what you said, no? It's why I remembered it.

It was pretty much what you said, no? It's why I remembered it.

If you mean that the tweet itself is just an example of the thing it's pretending to criticize. It's driving traffic to itself via an unqualified dismissal of Shrier's writing as shrill screaming.

• Advertisement

If you mean that the tweet itself is just an example of the thing it's pretending to criticize. It's driving traffic to itself via an unqualified dismissal of Shrier's writing as shrill screaming.

Except the Kotaku article is by Brian Ashcraft.

That it's a circular process.
    Tweet was actually originally about Cyberpunk and how he got mad at nichegamer for being excited/positive about it.

Schreier called out G*mergate for what it is (a right-wing harassment campaign) in a tweet, hence why he's getting targeted by some of the angry Twitter / YouTube sorts at the moment.

That Kotaku's coverage of this story is a simple, news article from a writer fluent in Japanese clarifying what was originally said doesn't really matter in the endless culture war :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was under the impression this was multiplatform at launch, so just PS4 on console at least at launch.

Played Remake at gamescom

Its alright. Honestly wasnt as taken away as I expected given that this was my favourite game growing up. Visuals, animations and tech seem a bit behind. But theres months left to bring it up to standard.

I think tho I might be over VII as sad as that is

Combat is very cleverly designed though, with the real time swapping between team members mapped to up and down and the shoulder buttons opening up a quick menu which stops combat so you can tell individual members to do spells/physical attacks.

ATB is "stock" based like ffxiii. Combat look and feel is like XV mixed with KHIII. Sort of bits of everything here. Basically whichever character you are controlling will have their ATB fill faster. Which leads to situations where you see the bosses stagger bar fill and will want to switch to Cloud so he can fill his ATB quick enough to do a big attack when the boss is weak. Meanwhile you can be issuing commands to Barret to get him to spend his ATB on spells to speed the stagger up.

It's an extremely clever system that seems designed to push you to not just use one character and to get used to the idea also of giving instructions to the one you arent controlling. This way ATB is no longer about waiting your turn but managing your party's resource. ATB is a pace setter rather than an annoying technical limitation

Unfortunately I think I picked German language by accident so it was very confusing and Barett sounded ridiculous (he says "Och Noooo" when guard scorpion shows up which made me laugh)

Spent most of the time playing as Barett actually. He Naruto runs now so is obviously the superior choice

Also at the start there was a little bit which was kind of like an escape room where they make you watch Shinra propaganda but German Jesse hijacks the signal or whatever. You see some of upper plate Midgar during the day, it sort of looked like London to me. Which hopefully we get to see more of in the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Battle system sounds promising. I like that sort of stagger system when it was in the xenoblade games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Didn't expect it to be playable was that known about going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Varik wrote: »
    Didn't expect it to be playable was that known about going in.

I saw the game Twitter page posting it telling people to stop by and play the demo.

Some sneaky ninja ignored the notice by Square to not record and took these screenshots of the daytime Midgar cutscene

aAIZGam.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

New trailer just dropped. Some spoiler-y stuff in there. But some awesome stuff in there too. Looks like some of the ridiculous stuff will stay :D

Advertisement