Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They've had a few bad ones alright but they've done some of their best work since the merger in terms of gameplay and story. FFXIII-3, Dragon Quest 9-11 and the Joker games, Tactics Ogre, TWEWY. There's no arguing how good those games are.

People just think square-enix only made FFXIII and apparently they are awful now. And even FF15 for all it's flaws was fun.
    I'll be honest, FFXIII was the worst game I've ever purchased. It threw me off buying it's sequels and FFXV. I'm fairly easy to please with RPG's.

Spent a good bit of time playing FFXIV as I felt this was something different. It's a great game and the game-play is excellent, although the story is fairly scattered and unnecessarily hard to understand.

Bought KH3 as was a big fan of 1 & 2. Was very disappointed. Felt a lot like FFXIII in that the areas felt very flat and devoid of life or substance, and the dialogue was ridiculous at times and didn't make any sense.

I'm a huge fan of the retro FF's so will take a shot with FFVII but as you can see I've my reservations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pro-tip: Kingdom Hearts was never good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I must have been one of the only ones that actually didn't hate XIII :pac:
    Tried XIII-2 and never bothered with XIII-3

I still hold X as my favourite one, looking forward to this though, as I wasn't mad on the original VII.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I must have been one of the only ones that actually didn't hate XIII :pac:
    Tried XIII-2 and never bothered with XIII-3

I still hold X as my favourite one, looking forward to this though, as I wasn't mad on the original VII.

XIII was the straw that broke the camels back. I had enough of the whingy androgynous men children and had to give it a break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a shame so many people never played FFXIII-3 as even though it's got a bad story it's just so much fun to play. It's pretty much a sequel to the 'Secret best PS1 RPG (tm)' Valkyrie Profile.

Also had a lot of fun with FXIII-2

I actually feel FFX is one of the weaker FF games. Loved it at the time but playing the HD remaster and it makes an awful lot of the same mistakes FFXIII made. Pretty graphics excuse a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I actually feel FFX is one of the weaker FF games. Loved it at the time but playing the HD remaster and it makes an awful lot of the same mistakes FFXIII made. Pretty graphics excuse a lot.
    FFX was linear in some aspects but the immersive world around it made you forget that. XIII on the other hand was like tying you to the front of a runaway train going from hallway A to hallway B.

I don't know. Found it didn't hold on revisiting it. The dungeons are too long and linear and the encounter rate too high. Once you know how to beat each enemy formation in an area you are just repeating the same tactics which is how ff13 feels.

Ff13 is much worse of course but I think ffx gets too much of a free pass because it looked gorgeous on launch and was the first decent ps2 rpg. It's got loads of flaws including the gameplay loop I just went through and a terrible and very rushed end game where all the end game gear is obtained from mini games rather than mastery of the core gameplay.

I had great fun/frustration with the Dark Aeon hunt and the Monster Arena concoctions (**** you, Dark Yojimbo).
    Although I gave up on dodging 200 lightning bolts for Lulu's celestial weapon, that annoyed the piss out of me.

By the time I got to fight Jecht, I could kill him with one hit.

Blitzball was oddly entertaining as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Vicxas wrote: »
    XIII was the straw that broke the camels back. I had enough of the whingy androgynous men children and had to give it a break.
    Who was androgynous in FF13?

Well I think square basically said they made lightning to be a Cloud that male cloud fans would feel uncomfortable about fancying :D

• Advertisement

Well I think square basically said they made lightning to be a Cloud that male cloud fans would feel uncomfortable about fancying :D
    But she's clearly a woman.

Evade wrote: »
    Who was androgynous in FF13?

This whiny pain in the arse:

latest?cb=20111029021520

If you say so. Looks like a boy to me.

I had great fun/frustration with the Dark Aeon hunt and the Monster Arena concoctions (**** you, Dark Yojimbo).
    Although I gave up on dodging 200 lightning bolts for Lulu's celestial weapon, that annoyed the piss out of me.

By the time I got to fight Jecht, I could kill him with one hit.

Blitzball was oddly entertaining as well.

Dark Aeons weren't part of the original game. They were only added to the international version, which Europe got. Penance was the last boss and he had 10 times less health than the original release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And all this conversation about FF and its androgynous leads is going to get even more awkward if the Don Corneo section is translated verbatim from the original Ps1 version ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't remember Hope being whiny, went on about vengeance and all but don't see much of the whiny Japanese protagonist in him.

Dark Aeons weren't part of the original game. They were only added to the international version, which Europe got. Penance was the last boss and he had 10 times less health than the original release.
    He's still no pushover :)
    Either is Nemesis from the Monster Arena.

I enjoyed the game anyway

He's still no pushover :)
    Either is Nemesis from the Monster Arena.

I enjoyed the game anyway

I meant Nemesis. Penance was another international addition.

I meant Nemesis. Penance was another international addition.

Never got to fight Penance as i could never manage to kill Dark Bahamut. Yojimbo just never sliced him in 2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

What do you reckon the odds are the the demo being shown at E3, PAX and now TGS will make it to the online store at some point?

Playstation Access have a full walkthrough of the demo but I'd rather not watch it if there is a chance of playing it at some point.

Video is below for those interested:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Not really surprised they've added this considering how vocal the crowd who wanted "PRETTIER TURN BASED BATTLES!"

ff7-combat.png

This was shown last night as part of the TGS walkthrough of FF7Remake, few other small things shown, for example, you can only equip one summon per character, they appear kinda similar to FFX aeons in that they show up, fight with you and then as they are timed with a bar, they perform signature move before they disappear.

Full walkthrough by Kitase is here if people want to watch:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

RedXIV wrote: »
    Not really surprised they've added this considering how vocal the crowd who wanted "PRETTIER TURN BASED BATTLES!"

ff7-combat.png

This was shown last night as part of the TGS walkthrough of FF7Remake, few other small things shown, for example, you can only equip one summon per character, they appear kinda similar to FFX aeons in that they show up, fight with you and then as they are timed with a bar, they perform signature move before they disappear.

I thought they showed the ATB system turn based stuff months ago. Or maybe I misunderstood how it was supposed to work and thought they showed a turn based system.

RedXIV wrote: »

ff7-combat.png

That sounds more like the FFXII ones. FFX Aeons were like another character and only left if their health was gone or you dismissed them.

Tell me that you don't control the summons, during the fight. Please let them arrive, cause destruction, and leave

Edit: Ah fvck, I posted this from watching the trailer a few pages back and no see it all but confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

f5aekpwfrsm31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

New video up with the alps battle - bit more ifrit action ( 5 mins long )

https://youtu.be/R13Wx49ux5w

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Anyone got any links to videos showing the "Classic Mode". I have no interest in moving and attacking with my characters. I am an old school FF gamer having finished 6,7,8,9,10,12 and 13. Didn't like 12 for the same reasons.

For me FF is all about story and clicking commands to initiate attacks etc.

Very interested in FF7 remake but only in classic mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Way people were talking about it I thought that the summon replace the 3 characters and then you'd use them like in 10. Like this, and it'll be cool to be playing while the summon is there standing tall above you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

From the videos the battles take awhile and enemies have lots of HP, hope this isn't just to prolong the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I must be getting old cos I couldn't keep track of that battle. So much visual noise and clutter going on it just looked like total chaos to me :confused:

Advertisement