Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

fixXxer wrote: »
    I wasn't going to play it... then I downloaded just in case, then I cracked.

The music is fantastic. Really enjoyed hearing a full blown updated version of the tunes as I played. I thought it looked great too imho. Minor camera issue with Barret in one section where it was trying to zoom back but couldn't go far enough so i couldn't see what I was shooting. The combat was pretty different to what I was expecting, playing in default mode not classic. Has a sort of ff12/Dragon Age Origins feel to it or something. There's definitely something I've played recently where times slows down while you make decisions but doesn't stop. Attacking was handy enough, but defending seems tricky. I had 21 potions for the Scorpion Tank fight and must have used most of them to get through it. I can feel where its been stretched out, the extra interactions with Jessie as you go to and come back from planting the bomb, things like that.

Definitely enjoyed it, left it wanting to play more and more to see what else is new/different/updated.

My only major concern is was there any need to show Sephiroth at the end? As far as I remember from playing FF7, you hardly got to see him for most of the game. He was an ominous presence that scared the crap out of you because when he showed up it meant something big was happening. If the game is going to be made bigger, I doubt they'll be able to hold off using him much more which may dilute how intimidating he is.

Seeing Sephiroth is just a demo bonus for choosing the 20 minute escape time apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Seeing Sephiroth is just a demo bonus for choosing the 20 minute escape time apparently.

Bollox and i made it out in plenty of time as well, will be picking 20 minutes in the full game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope ye all enjoyed my cameo role in the demo, I've been sworn to secrecy for months.....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

On a second playthrough of the demo the combat felt alot less chaotic. Shortcuts for special abilities and more shortcuts for allied abilities, there really is no need for constant switching of characters like people on here are implying.

The only issue i had with the demo was the music which alot of you are praising. If we compare it to the original soundtrack the songs in the remake just didn't feel as hard hitting. It might be due to having voiced characters and almost constant banter between them, or that the themes where somewhat over-produced and the tune of them was buried under layers and layers orchestra. Finding it hard to articulate what i mean exactly here, hope someone understands.
    One of my favourites here. Those bell chimes just hit you so hard. I don't even recall if they where present in the remake. I don't think they where infact.

Also i hope they don't show Sephiroth. I remember going to the top of the Shinra building in the Original and wondering wtf happened here, then you see the Midgar Zolum impaled on a tree. It was so forbidding. But i have to go into this remake with a different mindset and not compare everything. I know who Sephiroth is already and the same scene wouldn't have the same impact on me now, and i think Square know this and are targeting the older audience who played the first game with this release.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Technically you should switch as the currently controlled character generates ATB faster. But mostly I find myself using Cloud. Barret feels like a support character oddly? His basic attacks are not good but he can help you stagger with his focus shot and obviously has thunder too.

The music loses something. I think even Advent Children had some pretty great music compared to this (too much metal though). I did watch a preview online of the remake which had an Advent Children track in it and it was oddly nostalgic, which isnt an emotion I've ever had about Advent Children

(Track was "promised land", it plays in an aftermath scene when Cloud is leaving after the mission)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Just played through the demo. Its good. I wonder will they ever remake the best ever final fantasy ff6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Just played through the demo. Its good. I wonder will they ever remake the best ever final fantasy ff6

Now now let's be serious.
    ... FF X is the best :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah here. Very weak FF game.

Anyway the secret best FF game is FF Tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Be really interested to hear the thoughts of someone who never played FF7 going through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

a ha ha ha good joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Be really interested to hear the thoughts of someone who never played FF7 going through this.
    I never played through the original. I got it on the PS4 a couple of years ago and didn't stick with it due to not liking the combat.

I got the demo yesterday and I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I really wanted to like this game as I find the setting/story pretty interesting however the combat just annoyed me and I don't think I could play through a massive game if the combat is gonna be like this. Ah well!

FWIW i also got Final Fantasy XV when it was on a sale a while ago and I stopped playing for the same reason. I guess these games aren't for me :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

On a second playthrough of the demo the combat felt alot less chaotic. Shortcuts for special abilities and more shortcuts for allied abilities, there really is no need for constant switching of characters like people on here are implying.

The only issue i had with the demo was the music which alot of you are praising. If we compare it to the original soundtrack the songs in the remake just didn't feel as hard hitting. It might be due to having voiced characters and almost constant banter between them, or that the themes where somewhat over-produced and the tune of them was buried under layers and layers orchestra. Finding it hard to articulate what i mean exactly here, hope someone understands.
    One of my favourites here. Those bell chimes just hit you so hard. I don't even recall if they where present in the remake. I don't think they where infact.

They should have brought nobuo uematsu back to do the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

FFX is my favourite :o

Also seen some list that put it as a fave for a load of people surveyed in Japan, with Cloud topping the fave characters list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tazzimus wrote: »
    FFX is my favourite :o

Also seen some list that put it as a fave for a load of people surveyed in Japan, with Cloud topping the fave characters list.

Doesn't mean it's good (well it isn't terrible but has loads of issues). You'll find that peoples favourites are the one that the people surveyed grew up with and at the time that demographic grew up with the PS2 so the best selling PS2 FF game is going to come out on top.

It went from FF7 to FF8 in previous polls (FF9 and FF12 won't feature as they were released during a console generation change which means they weren't as popular or sold as much).

I'd more put it down to the FACT that 7 was the best, 8 was brilliant, 9 and 10 were shyte and the series was never the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The only fact was that 8 was awful :pac: Terrible magic system, nonsense story, unlikeabale characters.

12 is fantastic for about 3/4 of the game.

The only fact was that 8 was awful :pac: Terrible magic system, nonsense story, unlikeabale characters.

12 is fantastic for about 3/4 of the game.

8 gets **** on a lot but I really really have fond memories of it. One day I plan on getting the 'remaster' on ps4 to see if I was looking at it through rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I always hear 6 is the best amongst people who've played all of them.

Yupp but I've never played it, so it can't be the best in my flawless logic. Anyone who says 6 is the best is a smelly hipster response when they hear someone say 7 is the best :)

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd more put it down to the FACT that 7 was the best, 8 was brilliant, 9 and 10 were shyte and the series was never the same since.

FF8 had issues, the story is abhorrent ****e but junction system was brilliantly broken.

I'd take FF9 over 7 any day of the week, much better game and definitely not ****e.

It's because it is, although there's a lot of love for FFV because the job system is so much fun.

However FF Tactics and FFXIII-3 are the secret best FF games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They should have brought nobuo uematsu back to do the music.

They did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

9 never gets the love it deserves imo. Obviously 7 is the pinnacle but 9 is a very close second for me, the rest have a big gap then for me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FF8 had issues, the story is abhorrent ****e but junction system was brilliantly broken.

I'd take FF9 over 7 any day of the week, much better game and definitely not ****e.

It's because it is, although there's a lot of love for FFV because the job system is so much fun.

However FF Tactics and FFXIII-3 are the secret best FF games.

I could not get into 9 at all and that was coming off a high of 8. Said I'd forget it and try 10 when that came out, same deal, couldn't get into it. Played 15 last year and wanted to like it so much but found it awfully boring. This FF7 demo is the best FF I've played in years so really looking forward to the full (chapter 1) release.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Place ff tactics on the gb advance was my first brush with a "permadeath" mechanic ,was absolutely gutted when i realised i wouldn't be getting some characters back

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

6 is ok imo but I don't love it. I'm sure it was a much more big deal in 94 or whenever but sure we didn't even get it until 2001 anyway unless you imported. At that point VII had already been well established.

The only reason people that dont think FF6 is the best or wont even play it is because they have an issue with the 16 bit graphics. Everyone has and are entitled to an opinion but the general consensus is that FF6 is the best FF game . The 16 bit era was when squaresoft could do no wrong. Every title was a master piece. Chrono Trigger some would argue is even better than FF6. The Final Fantasy series lost its way after 9 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

7 > 9 > 4 > 14
    Anything after those I would clump together in the "Just okay FF games that I will never play through again" category

This has turned into a "What's your favourite FF list thread"

I was lukewarm about this remake. Was happy enough to wait it out for a full release as I have alot of other games that I want to play and alot less free time with work ramping up and an infant baby. But after playing the demo I wish I hadn't. Now I'm burning hot for this and I'm going to buy it day 1. I might even go as far to get the two days off work so I have abit more free time to sink into it.

One good thing about releasing the game in chapters is having the chance to playthrough it again everytime a new chapter comes out. Hah. Now that's some replay value boyo

Also. Does boards have a discord server? These message boards are so old fashioned

7 > 9 > 4 > 14
    Anything after those I would clump together in the "Just okay FF games that I will never play through again" category

This has turned into a "What's your favourite FF list thread"

I was lukewarm about this remake. Was happy enough to wait it out for a full release as I have alot of other games that I want to play and alot less free time with work ramping up and an infant baby. But after playing the demo I wish I hadn't. Now I'm burning hot for this and I'm going to buy it day 1. I might even go as far to get the two days off work so I have abit more free time to sink into it.

Another good thing is replaying it everytime a new chapter comes out. Hah. Now that's some replay value boyo

so youve played through 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I saw the demo up on PS4 and had a go, it's basically a slower Kingdom Hearts 3, the game looks lovely but the main character was a bit of a blehhh, like a 15 year old trying to act cool around the bigger kids smoking and drinking haha. I dunno if I'd play a full game like these and I also haven't played the other 6 so guess I'd be missing a lot of story?

Advertisement