Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So gave the demo a go. It's a beautiful looking game, no doubts about that. Tifa looks crazy real. Movement is ok, bit slow, and they need to speed up the box breaking attack animation for Cloud, takes too long. And the auto movement is meh, would prefer a button press to mount obstacles or climb ladders.

Combat is strange. Its hack n slash with live pause. I saw you can map certain attacks so that should save some pausing. Couldn't get the hang of blocking though, especially on the bigger enemies.

Oh, and the terrible voice acting. The lad playing Barrett is taking it too seriously. Also, the Barrett character seems like a pain in the hole. Will definitely be using Japanese.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'd pay top dollar for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Forgive my stupid question which has probably been discussed.

Is there a way to use the original turn based combat system rather than the hack and slash?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Forgive my stupid question which has probably been discussed.

Is there a way to use the original turn based combat system rather than the hack and slash?

There is a "classic" mode where the characters fight automatically and you select special abilities, spells etc which is intended to be a compromise and be like the original game but it's still more "action-y" than before

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The classic mode is just like a mmo or games like xenoblade rather than traditional ff7 combat. Doesn't feel the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Good idea to read the tooltips for the skills, I think it's in a menu somewhere. Cloud's thrust attack puts lots of stagger on. Barett's lightning attack pressures the robot enemies as it's their weakness, which increases stagger gain.

It's a great system imo. I can't wait to try it with three characters, firing off support AOEs with Aeris and having Cloud and Tifa stack up melee damage.

Barret better improve in the full game tho as he seems crap here. In the Cait Sith bin with him for the full game playthrough I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a rip off of Xenoblade but that's no bad thing, Xenoblade worked really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

RedXIV wrote: »
    There is a "classic" mode where the characters fight automatically and you select special abilities, spells etc which is intended to be a compromise and be like the original game but it's still more "action-y" than before

That's what I played with yesterday, I was hoping for a battle system the same as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New dev series showing the making of the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Zero-Cool wrote: »

A nice distraction from the obvious. I hear Amazon prime orders might not come on time now. I'm hopefully doing a pre order with Smyth's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

For a second there I thought they were pushing it out again.

For a second there I thought they were pushing it out again.

I'd suspect it more relates to physical copies?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd suspect it more relates to physical copies?

Yes , thank god I'm going digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yes , thank god I'm going digital.

Would I be insane to pre order this again on digital. I love a physical copy and would get it put would still want to play it on release

This will be 60 in smyths and looks to be the same in Argos (£50 on uk site). 70 digitally on psn store. Think I'll hold out too check what deliveries look like closer to release and get digitally if it looks like the delay will be lengthy.

Also, for anyone interested in the Gamestop route, you can get it for 35 when you trade one of these games.

https://www.gamestop.ie/trade-list

Meh. Looks like a ps1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Is there an english version of this video, even the subtitles are in Japanese
    :/

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is there an english version of this video, even the subtitles are in Japanese
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

£51 sterling (approx €54) on Amazon UK a few days ago. Got the message above but won’t be cancelling and going digital. I’ve waited this long. Can wait a little longer for a cheaper physical version.

€70 digital is absolute and utter robbery on psn.

And I know all digital games release at that. I rarely buy them at that price though. Too many sales so soon after release these days to support that level of unnecessary greed.

If a physical copy of the same game can be had for about €16 less somethings wrong somewhere.

• Advertisement

I'd be getting it physical only that my cd doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If a physical copy of the same game can be had for about €16 less somethings wrong somewhere.

I would have thought that in an era of consumer protection, someone important somewhere would have asked "Why is that?"

It's been on my mind what I find so off about this game. Been thinking about it a lot and it's occurred to me. It's because it's merely alright, grand. Even going back to the old game and all my misgivings about it and the opening and other sections of the game feel special. Just did not get that feeling off the remake. And it's not just nostalgia, Resi 2 Remake managed to pull off a superb remake of the original with totally different gameplay.

I think it's just trying to appeal to too wide an audience. There's just way too much constant action. It's got ADHD compared to the original. There's no down time to take in the creepy ambience of the reactor. No time to contemplate.

If you take away the FFVII aesthetic it's a 7/10 game so far. FFVII was so much more than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It's definitely going to be sort of like an ARPG like Crisis Core I think, and the scope will be a lot smaller than people would expect I'd say. I think the combat is really excellent though. It's just FFXIII with more decision making, which is good.

Think there could be some nuance to the combat system but didn't really see it in the demo. The only thing that could be tactical was the need to fill the ATB gauge to heal but other than that it was very button mashy. Definitely not up there with the FF13 battle system which work amazingly well for bosses (and got a bit dull in mob encounters).

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's been on my mind what I find so off about this game. Been thinking about it a lot and it's occurred to me. It's because it's merely alright, grand. Even going back to the old game and all my misgivings about it and the opening and other sections of the game feel special. Just did not get that feeling off the remake. And it's not just nostalgia, Resi 2 Remake managed to pull off a superb remake of the original with totally different gameplay.

I think it's just trying to appeal to too wide an audience. There's just way too much constant action. It's got ADHD compared to the original. There's no down time to take in the creepy ambience of the reactor. No time to contemplate.

If you take away the FFVII aesthetic it's a 7/10 game so far. FFVII was so much more than it.

I think they tried to tackle this in an interview. Yes the demo is all action and go go go, but the expectation is then that you can get your down time wandering around midgar, talking to the citizens and exploring. That'll be where your downtime comes into.

I'm hoping this is the case anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

That's grand so, the rest of us can enjoy it while you wait for it to come out on PC. Basing a full opinion of a game on a demo alone is just silly. I'll happily enjoy it with blind nostalgia thanks.

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think they tried to tackle this in an interview. Yes the demo is all action and go go go, but the expectation is then that you can get your down time wandering around midgar, talking to the citizens and exploring. That'll be where your downtime comes into.

I'm hoping this is the case anyway

Hopefully, but think they really missed the atmosphere of the Mako Reactor in this remake and if they got that wrong then can't imagine the rest of the game is going to display anything but the same lack of subtlety. Kind of worried how Aerith will come across as well. Hoping she isn't a mary sue and more like the original where she was actually quite a strong female character with sass, cheekiness and a bit of a flirt. I do like this cloud so fingers crossed.
    endainoz wrote: »
    That's grand so, the rest of us can enjoy it while you wait for it to come out on PC. Basing a full opinion of a game on a demo alone is just silly. I'll happily enjoy it with blind nostalgia thanks.

I didn't say the full game, it's based on the demo. They are concerns I have for the full game, valid concerns. But then blind nostalgia does lead people into confirmation bias. If you are going to dismiss my comments feel free to do so but in a constructive manner otherwise it's just noise and strawman arguments about stuff I never said.

Hopefully, but think they really missed the atmosphere of the Mako Reactor in this remake and if they got that wrong then can't imagine the rest of the game is going to display anything but the same lack of subtlety. Kind of worried how Aerith will come across as well. Hoping she isn't a mary sue and more like the original where she was actually quite a strong female character with sass, cheekiness and a bit of a flirt. I do like this cloud so fingers crossed.

Yeah I agree the original mako reactor had way more ominous feel to it, but I the issues I have with the remakes version is something i'd be more open to in other areas. Jamming the likes of wall market or 7th heaven with detail would be awesome in my mind :) Hopefully we'll get loads of content in the "calmer" areas.

I do think they got Cloud right which is very reassuring for what the rest will be like. I'm very much looking forward to see how they deal with Cid 25 years after the original :D "SHUT UP, SIT DOWN AND DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA! DAMMIT SHERA!" is the sort of thing I can imagine being neutered

• Advertisement

We might have to wait until the PS6 to find out :D

Advertisement