Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    We might have to wait until the PS6 to find out :D

It's part of my retirement plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's been on my mind what I find so off about this game. Been thinking about it a lot and it's occurred to me. It's because it's merely alright, grand. Even going back to the old game and all my misgivings about it and the opening and other sections of the game feel special. Just did not get that feeling off the remake. And it's not just nostalgia, Resi 2 Remake managed to pull off a superb remake of the original with totally different gameplay.

I think it's just trying to appeal to too wide an audience. There's just way too much constant action. It's got ADHD compared to the original. There's no down time to take in the creepy ambience of the reactor. No time to contemplate.

If you take away the FFVII aesthetic it's a 7/10 game so far. FFVII was so much more than it.

2 weeks to launch and the reviews have started:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Tbh retro all due respect it doesn't really sound like you spent much time figuring out the Remake's combat system. There is a lot more decision making in it than appears at face value.

You can beat the boss without healing, so generating ATB just for healing isn't really much of a strategy. A more informed approach would be to select openings to use your basic attack to build up ATB, exploit weakness with thunder magic from Barett and use Cloud's thrust attack to build up stagger. Then try to stack as much damage heavy ATB actions on the boss when it reaches stagger state. You also have to read the enemy tooltip ala FFXIV to figure out what to do next, as attacks have animation priority (so it isn't really mashy as if you do mash you will just take massive unnecessary damage)

You also have to take note of Cloud's stances, one which is high power and can counter attacks, but is much harder to abort attack combos and can't block much damage.

Keeping in mind that this is just a tutorial boss there's enough in it to figure out and think about, not just mash your way through. Tbh I'm not able to understand why people come away from it thinking that the original's combat had more decision making per turn, where you really could just get through a lot of fights with attack and heals.

(a run I did)

I'm not saying it's super deep and high skill stuff but it splits the difference between action and turn based in a really clever way. If you are mashing it's no surprise you will spend a lot of ATB healing through damage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually got all that from demo. As I said before it has potential. It's not something I haven't seen before though. It's pretty much just xenoblade but the demo doesn't demonstrate the nuance that game had. Maybe it gets better but in the demo there were all these systems abut no need to keep track of them really and it was all a bit chaotic and the system's felt unnecessary. A lot of squares recent real time games like ff15 and kingdom hearts have lots.of system as well but just end up a bit of a chaotic mess and don't really add much to the combat.

Again there's potential. The stagger system is very like xenoblade which worked really well there but since it doesn't interrupt attacks it doesn't really doesn't seem to work as well in ffvii. Building up at gauges is an interesting trade off that could possibly be interesting. It remains to be seen but the demo hasn't convinced me.

Ffvii's original combat system was quite poor so did need to be changed up but don't think this real time system is as good as a good turn based system. Xenoblade managed it, ffvii has the potential to do so as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Had no interest in this, played demo, buying it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm the same. Was thinking of leaving it for a while, maybe for the PC release, but with the semi lockdown, i think i'll pick up a ps4 and this to keep me entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Despite my love for FF7 I really haven't decided for sure if this is a day one purchase for me.

I may just choose to wait a couple of days after release to pick it up, see what the longer run reviews are like and how much bang for your buck you'll actually get.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RedXIV wrote: »
    ESW8SXlUwAAyi4V?format=jpg&name=large

Look at what you can get in convenience stores all over Japan now!? 2 weeks after I return from a once in a lifetime trip!

goddammit!!!

https://www.play-asia.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-polygon-figure-box-set-of-8-pieces/13/70debj

Please note that you cannot necessarily get all kinds in one box.

Now I'm unsure?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Now I'm unsure?!

:eek:

Didn't see that!

• Advertisement

This set contains 8 random variants in a factory sealed container

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Watch every single one be Cait Sith

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cast released. Ones i recognise:
    Tifa - Justine from GLOW
    Wedge - Badger from Breaking Bad
    Heidegger - Bender from Futurama :)

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-voice-actors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Tried the demo. Gonna probably sound like a miserable fecker here folks. I'm disappointed but not surprised. It looks great, but I'm not a fan of this gameplay and that it's a bit all over the place. Can't emphasise enough how melee action-RPG's gameplay disinterest me when you've to repeatedly just press square for the majority of fights. The sparks that fly everywhere upon hit and the darkness of the Midgar setting make it hard to distinguish enemies. Why can't it be turn based like before, as in properly turn based not the hybrid they have alternatively. Something like the gameplay of FF12 would've been perfect IMO. The HUD is unappealing too. It feels like the element of warmth & charm about the first game is gone.

To be fair, anything released by Square for me is met with massive pessimism these days when it's been 14 years since FF12 which was their last decent release. They have serious issues with story development and dialogue. If you couple that with my distain for the direction they're taking with Action RPG's then I'm not sure I'm giving this a fair assessment. I'm sure others will love it.

On a side note, I'd wish they didn't spend years making this game just so it can look so lifelike. It's going to take over 10 years to fully develop this entire instalment. Just make the graphics a cross between Uncharted and Dragonquest for example to quicken up the process. If it mean's you get then game in much quicker time then who cares.

The dev time has very little to do with the graphics. In fact their choice of using unreal engine would have massively sped up dev time compared to making or using an in house engine. The toolset, optimisation and support is simply superior to anything else out there once devs get used to the workflow. The quality of the graphics is largely to do with the choice of engine. It's very easy to make games look better.

Converting what was simply text dialog into animated and directed scenes that needed to be rewritten, voice acted and expanded upon I would say is a large part of the dev time in the remake after the base systems were designed and implemented. There's going to be hours and hours of this stuff.

I would say the dev time for follow up parts will be a lot shorter now that most of the games systems and main characters have been designed and implemented. It's not going to be 5 years between parts. We could be seeing the follow up as soon as next year imo.
    So gave the demo a go. It's a beautiful looking game, no doubts about that. Tifa looks crazy real. Movement is ok, bit slow, and they need to speed up the box breaking attack animation for Cloud, takes too long. And the auto movement is meh, would prefer a button press to mount obstacles or climb ladders.

Combat is strange. Its hack n slash with live pause. I saw you can map certain attacks so that should save some pausing. Couldn't get the hang of blocking though, especially on the bigger enemies.

Oh, and the terrible voice acting. The lad playing Barrett is taking it too seriously. Also, the Barrett character seems like a pain in the hole. Will definitely be using Japanese.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'd pay top dollar for it.

In fairness Barrett was always an ott character. The voice actor based his voice on Mr T who was the main influence for the look and attitude of Barretts character who is the complete opposite of Cloud so he does a great job imo.

Compared to most games, especially final fantasy games, the voice acting is great. I don't get why anyone would play it in Japanese unless they could fluently speak Japanese.

I pre ordered from the store today, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Cast released. Ones i recognise:
    Tifa - Justine from GLOW
    Wedge - Badger from Breaking Bad
    Heidegger - Bender from Futurama :)

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-voice-actors

Honestly thought Mark Hamill was the voice actor for Don Corneo but obviously not.

I think Hamill would have suited the character well given his voice acting roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Anywhere I can order this for delivery on launch, Amazon, Smyths and GameStop not taking orders

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Anywhere I can order this for delivery on launch, Amazon, Smyths and GameStop not taking orders

Digital is the safest bet at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah looks like it, would have liked to have the physical copy but screw it we've been waiting long enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

endainoz wrote: »
    Yeah looks like it, would have liked to have the physical copy but screw it we've been waiting long enough for it.

Some one selling 3 from the uk - got 4 copies of the deluxe edition somehow

Was on reddit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

lordlame wrote: »
    Some one selling 3 from the uk - got 4 copies of the deluxe edition somehow

Was on reddit

They'll be going for crazy money too. Have no interest in the deluxe edition anyway.

Was hoping they were shipping early for the distribution issues but the consensus seems to be theft on the reddit page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Was hoping they were shipping early for the distribution issues but the consensus seems to be theft on the reddit page.

Which Reddit page? Link?

Which Reddit page? Link?

Page is here for now

Final fantasy 7 being shipped early to Europe and Australia!

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1244538864263364608?s=19

Unfair that everyone else has to wait

source.gif

The question now is where the hell can you get it early in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I took a chance there and ordered a deluxe edition from game.co.uk

international shipping is 5-7 days it says though. and thats maybe on top of an expected delay of 1-2 days from them. just hoping that because square has sent it early that it may balance it out. worst case scenario, if it's not arrived by the 10th I'm sure I can just buy it on PSN and sell the phyical copy on

I took a chance there and ordered a deluxe edition from game.co.uk

international shipping is 5-7 days it says though. and thats maybe on top of an expected delay of 1-2 days from them. just hoping that because square has sent it early that it may balance it out. worst case scenario, if it's not arrived by the 10th I'm sure I can just buy it on PSN and sell the phyical copy on

Let us know how that goes! I saw on reddit some online shops say that no matter when they get the game, they will ship 1-2 days prior to release date. Looks like this might only pay off if you ordered direct from square enix site.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Let us know how that goes! I saw on reddit some online shops say that no matter when they get the game, they will ship 1-2 days prior to release date. Looks like this might only pay off if you ordered direct from square enix site.

Finally ordering off that site has paid off! :D

Advertisement