Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Where did you pick up the chocobo chic & chocobo & Moogle Materia? I’ve done all side quests and generally took my time and never came across it. I’m just about to fight
    the Airbuster

Like Tom said, the chocobo & moogle is in chapter 6 i think after you turn off the third lamp, instead of progressing, there's a 2nd lift to another area where you can get it. There's a chapter select when you finish the game to go back and pick up anything you missed.

The chocobo chick summon was a preorder bonus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Am I the only one who liked that movie :o:pac:

Although I liked the 3 CG Res Evil movies too (way better than the live action ****e)

Probably the fanboy talking

It was complete thrash. Cloud character assassination. Aeris character assassination. Ruined the ambiguity of the original ending. Bringing back not one but two clearly dead characters because... Fanservice. Awful fight scenes with no viewer investment or sense of danger.

**** sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I actually think it's interesting. Just.... Advent childrening it up was terrible.

The last chapter was
    was very advent child and a bit out of place
    . Would be better without it. Overall game was very good. Getting the plantinum will be a time sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There is a lift once you disable enough lamps the activates

Without spoiling anything else

You are gone way past it

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Like Tom said, the chocobo & moogle is in chapter 6 i think after you turn off the third lamp, instead of progressing, there's a 2nd lift to another area where you can get it. There's a chapter select when you finish the game to go back and pick up anything you missed.

The chocobo chick summon was a preorder bonus.

Crap! Thanks all, will replay the chapter when I’m finished, trying to go slow and get full play through the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really want to hear opinions on the ending. People going to either love it or hate it. Kind of think it's a good idea myself just... Handled badly

Will let you know when I get to it but this is on point with allot of reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Am about 7 hours in, loving it so far. Even when I try to take a step back and remove the nostalgia bias from this (and let's be honest, indulging in nostalgia is probably this games strongest point for fans of the original), I still think this is really well done.

First off, it looks absolutely amazing. I was blown away by the slums area (how do you make a slums area look amazing!?) when you pan the camera up and see the oppressing plates above, really stunning.

The music, goddamn the music is so good.

The fleshing out of the midgar section and the other avalanche party members stories makes sense too, enjoying that.

One thing I can't help but notice (on the PS4 anyway) is that the NPC characters look substantially inferior, almost like PS3 characters. I understand this is obviously necessary given the sheer quantum of NPCs that rendering them at the same quality as party members is simply an impossible task, just thought it looked a bit strange. Also on the topic of NPCs, I find it a little funny that most of them seem to dress normally, like people from the real world where as our avalanche buddies look like anime characters.

Excited to play through the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Square are on to a bloody winning formula here, just started chapter nine after meeting Aerith, my god I'm in love with this game. Imagine if they finished this remake to this quality and went on to do 8 and 9 or go back and do 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just fought the juiced up dog boss. Is it simply impossible to avoid some attacks. He had a pin attack that I simply could not dodge no matter how hard i tried. And some other attacks that I felt I would get lucky to avoid them. Is this a turn based RPG masquerading as an Action RPG? Just gotta take the hits and heal up after or block and mitigate the damage?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

You can block it!

They are weak against fire

The asses materia becomes essential once you pick it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Ooooh, need to stop reading this now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Got it Friday on release (digital download), finished it at 3am this morning. Just an incredible game, nostalgia most definitely a factor in my complete binge (17 hrs total and I missed a good few things reading here)

But its not the only thing the additions and changes I absolutely loved, combat is amazing.... it's just perfect imo.

How in 17 hours!!?

I'm not even finished chapter 8 and I'm 13 hours in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

How in 17 hours!!?

Just checking playtime now to make sure I'm right... it was very late :pac:

Errr.... well my playtime actually says 25.13.44 so yeah that's two days of my life done!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm still only ch 3, did all the side quests available, essentially fetch quests, got distracted then with the darts and trying to beat wedges high score, got it eventually, loving the game personally, love the combat.

Aerith's section (yes she is now Aerith to me as her character is perfect) is excellent! Another padded out section i heard but I'm not feeling it one bit. Such a great support character in combat as well.

As for the dodging issue above, I'm starting to use it less and less as i don't they m think there are any invincible frames. It's handy to get quickly out of reach but Dark Souls this is not. I'm using block more and find some enemies are succetible to it and will get stunned when i block them. Also, I'm mostly in punisher mode and auto counter enemies when i block them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Why does everyone want to get with cloud?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Why does everyone want to get with cloud?

He doesn't deserve all the female attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Square are on to a bloody winning formula here, just started chapter nine after meeting Aerith, my god I'm in love with this game. Imagine if they finished this remake to this quality and went on to do 8 and 9 or go back and do 6.

No! They can't mess with perfection.

The question should be why would anyone NOT want to get with Cloud? The thirst is real in this.

Also, there are 2 free ps4 themes for this. One nice and bright with calming music, the other dark with battle music. The dark one has the game background i had in my custom one anyway so bonus with with the music although the bright one is really nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Also on the topic of NPCs, I find it a little funny that most of them seem to dress normally, like people from the real world where as our avalanche buddies look like anime characters.

Was talkin to someone about that the other day...
    all the npcs look like they're from The Sims and Barret and Cloud are running around with mad Steampunk costumes, anime hair and a giant gun for an arm etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

As for the dodging issue above, I'm starting to use it less and less as i don't they m think there are any invincible frames. It's handy to get quickly out of reach but Dark Souls this is not. I'm using block more and find some enemies are succetible to it and will get stunned when i block them. Also, I'm mostly in punisher mode and auto counter enemies when i block them.

Funnily enough Dark Souls is one of the games this reminds me of most, along with some aspects of FFXIII and XIV

I beat it anyway and am nearly halfway through a hard mode run. I think the game can be really good but there is some awful padding in here, something like 25% of the game is pulling levers in sewers and other underground areas it feels like. When it is good it is tremendous but certain sections had me thinking of Dirge of Cerberus sadly

I do really like the story implications tho, MASSIVE SPOILER
    when Sephiroth says '7 seconds to the end' to Cloud in their last scene, if you watch the original Aeris death scene there are seven seconds between Seph's appearance and Aeris' impalement. They are going to keep us on our toes as to whether or not 'Aerith' dies this time I think, Cloud and Aerith already know what happens in the future and Seph is dangling it in front of Cloud like 'come at me bro'

I took a clip of the mission 7 boss on hard mode, right now this is my favourite combat system in a RPG.

https://youtu.be/jeAJdB79Rnc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My view on it is that the systems are more about minimising damage than avoiding it - which is in its way quite a smart interpretation of turn-based systems where you’re also going to take damage but have to focus on limiting it. Obviously there are more moments here when you can roll out of the way (spells with a decent wind-up and what not) but yeah mostly it’s about blocking when you need to. And gotta say, that block counter in punisher mode is *chef’s kiss*- just fought the big one-on-one fight and being calm and countering really makes it feel like a good, proper duel.

The battle system is the best thing about the game, and super happy to have been proven wrong with my earlier extreme reservations about it. Other concerns I had about it have come to pass, but the battles are something to look forward to thankfully :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just one other wayward observation - why in the name of all that is good does it take so long to pull a lever? You’re standing there holding triangle for several seconds seemingly arbitrarily! The game feels so clunky at moments like that it truly baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Damn Jessie a hoe

Great video, well worth a watch.

Edit: apparently spoilers in video but recommend a listen.

I beat it anyway and am nearly halfway through a hard mode run.

Were you able to start hard mode with all your materia, weapons, etc like a new game plus or is that just for chapter select?

Only on chapter 9 but already looking forward to the 2nd playthrough on hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Great video, well worth a watch.

On chapter 8 and I'm already seeing spoilers in that vid 30 seconds in.
    Why don't they just use footage from the first hour or two of the game?!

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    On chapter 8 and I'm already seeing spoilers in that vid 30 seconds in.
    Why don't they just use footage from the first hour or two of the game?!

I was actually just listening to it, maybe i should say well worth a listen.

There’s not much actual substantial, tactical combat in the first hour or two - I’m four or five hours in and options are only gradually opening up. Hard to describe or show the key stuff without some later footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Had my first game over screen v Reno. Apparenlty block is R1 not L1.

Advertisement