Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Were you able to start hard mode with all your materia, weapons, etc like a new game plus or is that just for chapter select?

Only on chapter 9 but already looking forward to the 2nd playthrough on hard.

Hard mode is basically every enemy and boss powered up for level 50 characters. I had skipped side quests on normal and went into Scorpion with level 35 characters, took me several loops of the 'self repair' phase to get him down and only with limit breaks lol.

But you level up fast on hard mode (exp and AP)
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    Had my first game over screen v Reno. Apparenlty block is R1 not L1.

Not when you get counterstance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This guy has great tips as well. Plus his video is only from the Colosseum. I haven't come to that yet but hardly spoiler material, also good idea to show off advanced combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Absolutely loving the game so far. It has surpassed any expectations I had and then some.

My only complaint would be some of the visuals feel really half baked. I'm not talking about the texture pop-in or anything like that, just environmentally the game can look terrible at times. Tifa showing Cloud to his apartment in chapter 3 really jumped out at me; no detail on the door whatsoever. At first I thought the texture would pop-in, but nope, it then pans to a further two doors that look the exact same and it becomes massively clear that that's just what the doors look like. Loads of other little moments like that as well, where you're walking through an exquisitely detailed environment which is peppered with objects that just look out of place such is the lack of polish. Its a real shame too, because the game looks great for the most part and these little elements just scream of laziness. Playing on the pro as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Love the way Barrett does the victory fanfare 😆

Love the way Barrett does the victory fanfare 😆

Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just finished Midgar in the original game, 4 and a half hours

By my calculations that means there's another 9 remakes coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

ShaneU wrote: »

Final fantasy 7 remake part 2: The Kalm before the Chocobo ranch!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

I’m 5.5 hours in, chapter 4 ( Jessie hurts her leg bit )

Incredible ... said I’d play an hour of it at 10pm and it’s 2am - really enjoying it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I might consider the ultimate special ultra deluxe XD edition when it's all done, discounted to the cost of one game or less. I ain't paying €600

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

woke up early, doing missions with Aeris (yes Aeris) and she left, so wandering round town, Can fight Shive! Don't need to prepare just jump straight in, what could possibly go wrong? Went back to bed.

• Advertisement

Just beat shiva last night, did all the side stuff in chapter 8 before taking on Shiva and clearing the chapter.
    Fire + elemental, Fira spell and AeriTH casting Arcane Award meant Fira was being fired off twice. Ifrit was the icing on the cake, made quick work of her.

The concept of a remake can be misunderstood or misleading

They have added so much to this outside of the normal scope of the original game.

They also have the ability to cut or remove segments as they see fit.

I dont see this being more than 3 parts max.

yeah got her the second time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just beat shiva last night, did all the side stuff in chapter 8 before taking on Shiva and clearing the chapter.
    Fire + elemental, Fira spell and AeriTH casting Arcane Award meant Fira was being fired off twice. Ifrit was the icing on the cake, made quick work of her.

You can have
    two party members fight those VR bosses
    ??????

For fcks sake!

You can have
    two party members fight those VR bosses
    ??????

For fcks sake!

Didn't know myself, first time i tried, i was solo and got wrecked, figured they were solo challenges until my second attempt later. Definitely wait till you have a few in the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A few questions for those that have completed the game.

Max level is 50? Are you max level reaching the end just by the story?
    Is there places to farm so you can farm Materia levels?

Does anybody know if the level and stats carry over to the next game or will it be a default start?

Does anybody know if the passives you unlock in the weapon upgrade trees apply even when you switch away from a weapon?

I like the system overall, but it seems odd to have passive HP upgrades tied to a weapon tree unless its going to apply across the board.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the passives you unlock in the weapon upgrade trees apply even when you switch away from a weapon?

I like the system overall, but it seems odd to have passive HP upgrades tied to a weapon tree unless its going to apply across the board.

Yeah, only apply to that weapon. I changed mine last night and noticed my stats like hp take a hit. I kinda like it as weapons have very different upgrades and can be tactical. Buster looks so good though.

applies to the weapon afaik but each one levels up with you even if you're not using it so your Iron Sword will have HP bonuses similar to your buster sword.

I'd forgotten how bummed out I got when Tifa's not in my party. Aeris is a fruit cake, she's adorable, I'm taking a week off work if anything happens to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Have been playing for 8 hours and only now discovered you can hold down the square button to do a different type of attack with cloud...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Morpork wrote: »
    Have been playing for 8 hours and only now discovered you can hold down the square button to do a different type of attack with cloud...

Yep, Operator mode you do an AOE attack.

Punisher its a heavy attack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The bit
    where you open your apartment for the first time and it's morning is just beautiful

Reminded me of
    Fallout 3 and your first time leaving the vault, when you actually see what's ahead of you.

I swear I rarely laugh out loud when playing video games, but Wedge has genuinely had me in stitches during chapters 3 and 4. Having him voiced by Matt Jones was a bit off putting at first as I can't separate that voice from the character of Badger in Breaking Bad, but I'm completely sold after those two chapters, great choice and brings some excellent comedic value to the character.

After being initially sceptical at SE taking the episodic approach to the remake, I'm now convinced it was absolutely the right choice with how much more fleshed out the world and narrative is. The fact that I actually give a sh*t about Biggs and Wedge in an FF game speaks volumes to how well this has been pulled off.

Barret doing the victory theme is also very awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Chapter 9's Boss, in Wall Market, is driving me up the wall... argh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Chapter 9's Boss, in Wall Market, is driving me up the wall... argh!
    Bring at least 1 of each elemental materia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A few questions for those that have completed the game.

Max level is 50? Are you max level reaching the end just by the story?
    Is there places to farm so you can farm Materia levels?

Does anybody know if the level and stats carry over to the next game or will it be a default start?

This answered a lot of the questions I asked! Found most of them.

This answered a lot of the questions I asked! Found most of them.

I'm not there yet. Still only on chapter 13 and I'm nearly 25 hours in! I'm at level 23.

From my understanding the second last chapter is the longest too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Decided to start limiting myself to healing outside of battle only and the combat has got alot more fun and engaging for me, especially the boss fights. Just beat the chapter 7 boss after 3 attempts. Had to nail the fights mechanics while also fully utilizing each character, where before i was simply winging it, mashing out fights and using cure and potions as a crutch

Combat went from a 5/10 to a 8.2/10 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Just at Wall Market now, looks great as expected. This post might be a tad more negative in tone than the general consensus on here, but just had to get stuff off my chest :P

I will say the lead up to the Wall Market (for me)
    has been the worst part of the game so far. The mechanical hands "puzzle", jaysus that was borderline painful and I don't think they needed to add that in.

I've found myself getting a bit frustrated with the combat system on a few occasions now. In general, I do like it and I think broadly they've done a good job on it, but there's been a couple of times now where it's annoyed me a bit.

My biggest gripe with it is the "interruption" mechanic. On a few occasions I've attempted to cast a spell but the enemy uses a powerful attack right before I cast it, preventing me from casting the spell. This results in a triple whammy effect: 1. The spell is not cast and therefore the enemy takes no damage, 2. The MP to cast the spell is still spent, despite the spell being interrupted before being cast and 3. You "lose" your turn i.e the ATB gauge empties and you have to try again. To add insult to injury, you've likely taken substantial damage by virtue of the fact your "turn" has been interrupted by a powerful enemy attack.

If implemented correctly, this mechanic could work quite well and I realise I'm leaving myself open to "git gud" comments here but I do think this interruption mechanic is a bit off in its current form. How do I circumvent this problem? Wait until the enemy "takes its turn" and attacks before casting a spell? Sure, in theory that could work and in a traditional turn-based RPG this wouldn't be an issue.

The problem with this theory is demonstrated by two boss fights which I thought were quite bad and brought the weaknesses of the combat system to the fore. The boss fights in question were
    Reno and Rude. Both lads continuously execute powerful attacks in quick succession that can interrupt your spells with ATB gauges seeming to not be an issue for them.You can't really "wait out" their powerful attacks, especially Rude, it's just a constant barrage.

Advertisement