Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

If they allowed build up of attacks from multiple parties without the risk of attack interruption the combat would be a cakewalk and would be of no challenge

It's about real time planning and manuvour as much as it is pausing the battle entirely

In my opinion you need to do it at the correct moments in the flow of a battle

The pause mechanic can be used for many a reason

Just my thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The interrupting of actions can be very annoying, especially when low on health as it can be near impossible to regain ATB gauge without taking more damage. But there's the ATB boost materia for those situations.

The best way to bypass it is by continually switching your teammates as the controlled character generally draws agro. Then fill and use ATB gauge and when you draw the AI's attention again, switch to other character, fill and use ATB without agro and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm not there yet. Still only on chapter 13 and I'm nearly 25 hours in! I'm at level 23.

From my understanding the second last chapter is the longest too!!

Think you're just ahead me. I'm C12 level 22 I believe. Just logged off for the night there.

I think I know why the C17 is the longest based on a few things I read.

Really really enjoying it. Between this and Valorant on PC I'm kept ticking over. Was very tempted to take some AL from work tomorrow but my missus was not impressed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never watch cut sceenes and and skipping a lot but it's an improvement on most games where I mash x every time. I've had to start skipping the Aeris' ones as I'm starting to hyperventilate.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Loving this game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How long after the game is shipped by Gamestop will they give the codes for the editions

Edit. Never mind found it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

How long after the game is shipped by Gamestop will they give the codes for the editions

I got mine same day but it was on a weekend. Check you spam folder as from someone name not gamestop mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Just at Wall Market now, looks great as expected. This post might be a tad more negative in tone than the general consensus on here, but just had to get stuff off my chest :P

I will say the lead up to the Wall Market (for me)
    has been the worst part of the game so far. The mechanical hands "puzzle", jaysus that was borderline painful and I don't think they needed to add that in.

I've found myself getting a bit frustrated with the combat system on a few occasions now. In general, I do like it and I think broadly they've done a good job on it, but there's been a couple of times now where it's annoyed me a bit.

My biggest gripe with it is the "interruption" mechanic. On a few occasions I've attempted to cast a spell but the enemy uses a powerful attack right before I cast it, preventing me from casting the spell. This results in a triple whammy effect: 1. The spell is not cast and therefore the enemy takes no damage, 2. The MP to cast the spell is still spent, despite the spell being interrupted before being cast and 3. You "lose" your turn i.e the ATB gauge empties and you have to try again. To add insult to injury, you've likely taken substantial damage by virtue of the fact your "turn" has been interrupted by a powerful enemy attack.

If implemented correctly, this mechanic could work quite well and I realise I'm leaving myself open to "git gud" comments here but I do think this interruption mechanic is a bit off in its current form. How do I circumvent this problem? Wait until the enemy "takes its turn" and attacks before casting a spell? Sure, in theory that could work and in a traditional turn-based RPG this wouldn't be an issue.

The problem with this theory is demonstrated by two boss fights which I thought were quite bad and brought the weaknesses of the combat system to the fore. The boss fights in question were
    Reno and Rude. Both lads continuously execute powerful attacks in quick succession that can interrupt your spells with ATB gauges seeming to not be an issue for them.You can't really "wait out" their powerful attacks, especially Rude, it's just a constant barrage.

You need to time your attacks until you're sure your call pull one off.
    It's tricky with Rude and Reno because of their speed. There's a few spinny monsters that got me too.

Other timing things include magic; lightning always hits, fire most of the time and ice almost never with a fast enemy.

There's another mechanic where the enemy seems to favours your "active" character. I made it through Rude by placing Aeris well away from Cloud and switching back and forward, Rude spent his time running between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I never watch cut sceenes and and skipping a lot but it's an improvement on most games where I mash x every time. I've had to start skipping the Aeris' ones as I'm starting to hyperventilate.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just finished chapter 9, hilarious stuff, good to see they haven't toned the wackiness down, in fact I'd say they've ramped it up haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Air buster was a ****er to get past. Real punch the air when I got it done, but was worth it for what I learned from it combat wise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fixXxer wrote: »
    Air buster was a ****er to get past. Real punch the air when I got it done, but was worth it for what I learned from it combat wise.

Hard difficulty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

On hard difficulty it gets to be like Dark Souls. Not literally but there is a big emphasis in that Air Buster fight on reading the fight by recognising enemy tells, or having to pass severe DPS checks if you fail a mechanic.

It's really good.

There's a lot of thought put into different character archetypes. For instance Barret is obviously the worst damage dealer from a magic casting point of view, but he has 'steelskin' which gives him the unique advantage of being able to cast without being interrupted as easily. You can really go to town with the different party mixups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

On hard difficulty it gets to be like Dark Souls. Not literally but there is a big emphasis in that Air Buster fight on reading the fight by recognising enemy tells, or having to pass severe DPS checks if you fail a mechanic.

It's really good.

There's a lot of thought put into different character archetypes. For instance Barret is obviously the worst damage dealer from a magic casting point of view, but he has 'steelskin' which gives him the unique advantage of being able to cast without being interrupted as easily. You can really go to town with the different party mixups.

I did the Airbuster fight on normal so far but limited myself to no healing for the fight. I had to pause the game (X) more frequently and plan my attacks. It was far more enjoyable than spamming attacks and getting hit with most enemy attacks then just healing myself to full afterwards. Felt more like an MMO fight than Dark Souls but i get where you are coming from.

Playing the game like this makes me feel they really nailed the half turnbased half action orientated combat. Lets hope i can finish the game without healing (in combat)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yeah the bosses have a sort of raid boss design to them (FFXIV has the thing where they pop tooltips/castbars for boss attacks, like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, that no heal rule sounds tough. I was in fights in chapter 8 just for sidequests that i could barely get the heal spell going but was a life saver once I did. The auto cure spell used to work a treat but it just stopped triggering for me so i unequipped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

If i max a spell say assess does that mean i can unequip from a chariacter and still be able to use it??

Loving the game so far only gripe would be its a little childish

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    If i max a spell say assess does that mean i can unequip from a chariacter and still be able to use it??

Loving the game so far only gripe would be its a little childish

No, you'll still need assess equipped to assess new enemy types you've not come up against.

Remember tapping the touchpad will allow you to access the assess information on any previous assessed enemy types.

Maxing Assess means it will scan all enemies instead of one but yeah like above, you still need to have it equipped. I'm actually going for weaker equipment with more materia slots, so many tactics to be used, i want to equip everything!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Maxing Assess means it will scan all enemies instead of one but yeah like above, you still need to have it equipped. I'm actually going for weaker equipment with more materia slots, so many tactics to be used, i want to equip everything!

In terms of leveling Materia. Does it level faster the more you use it in a fight i.e fire ice poison etc. Or it doesn't matter as it's just X amount assigned after fight?

• Advertisement

In terms of leveling Materia. Does it level faster the more you use it in a fight i.e fire ice poison etc. Or it doesn't matter as it's just X amount assigned after fight?

Doesn't matter if you use it or not, just gets the same AP as the rest once a fight is done. If you are trying to level up specific ones, remember to unequip them from characters who are no longer in your party. Also, certain weapon upgrades unlock more materia slots. I have a feeling high level materia will be essential/very helpful for late game battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you use it or not, just gets the same AP as the rest once a fight is done. If you are trying to level up specific ones, remember to unequip them from characters who are no longer in your party. Also, certain weapon upgrades unlock more materia slots. I have a feeling high level materia will be essential/very helpful for late game battles.

Later on you get an AP up materia which doubles the AP gained for a linked materia. Worth using with a materia with a high AP requirement like revival.

When you max out materia then un-equip it during standard battles

Put ones you wish to upgrade into those slots instead

Then bring back you max level materia for boss fights ect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

No, you'll still need assess equipped to assess new enemy types you've not come up against.

Remember tapping the touchpad will allow you to access the assess information on any previous assessed enemy types.

Ah very handy!

Grand thanks lads. I was doing a lot of the above but found myself using spells when I didn't need to incase It leveled faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I am so inconsistent when it comes to the battle system. Dispatching bosses with ease one minute, the next minute I'm getting my entire party wiped against a group of little enemy turrets in chapter 6 lol

Chapter 14 is endless with Side Q.

Chapter 14 is endless with Side Q.

All the rewards are worth it. I'm still on it 30 hours in!

Chapter 9, ****ing hell.
    from a hilarious hand massage, well worth the 3k gil, to an epic fight with a house. Shattered after that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

About an hour into chapter 8, what a blast this is. Even stepping back and removing nostalgia from the equation, it's just a fantastic game. 15 hours in, and with where the story is right now, I would say is roughly about 3 hours into the original game, and I'm constantly amazed at how they have managed to expand on the story so significantly to the point where nothing outside of a couple of the optional side quests has felt throwaway.

My only gripe would still be the visuals. Once you leave sector 7, and make the trek towards sector 5, the textures on the landscape become nothing short of abysmal in a lot of areas, to the point where even calling them last gen would be too kind. It is especially noticeable when contrasted against the superb character models. Luckily however the art direction is enough to shine through for the most part, but it is baffling as to why some of the environments are so lazy looking at times.

Advertisement