Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Can anyone clarify - my friend bought this, and says it's episodic, and he paid €60 for the first? Does this mean that technically, you will end up paying €200-300 for the full FF7?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Homelander wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify - my friend bought this, and says it's episodic, and he paid €60 for the first? Does this mean that technically, you will end up paying €200-300 for the full FF7?

It looks like it will be 3 parts (guesstimate) but part 1 is definitely a 60/70 euro game. I'm on chapter 9 of 18 and 18 hours clocked up and loving every second of it. This is not your typical episodic content. Anyone waiting for the inevitable 'all parts for 60 euro' will be waiting 5+years imo and this first part is too good to wait that long. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Chapter 9, ****ing hell.
    from a hilarious hand massage, well worth the 3k gil, to an epic fight with a house. Shattered after that!

Just finished it there.

I'm fairly sure 9 year old me had the same reaction cloud has when he saw that enemy...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Made a 'perfect' run attempt on Airbuster hard mode (not taking damage from avoidable mechanics, excluding ally AI). Fecked up at the end and Cloud got shot a few times at the end, gutted. :(

I need to get a move on with chapter 9 but this sector 5 stuff is rough going on a second playthrough. I didn't do any of these sidequest things the first time, running around squeezing through little gaps in walls to chase kids is some fairly low effort content it has to be said.

But I'm looking forward to actually doing the Wall Market stuff properly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

All the rewards are worth it. I'm still on it 30 hours in!

Yeh finally completed it. Think the side missions took me 3-4 hours alone. I had to get a guide for them because it was a nightmare.
    Behemoth was an absolute pain in the hole, struggled against him. Probably my toughest fight yet. Used like 15 Phoenix Downs and so many potions. Wasn't set up for it at all. But I didn't Wipe :pac:

Level 29 end of C14 and Materia levels in really good shape. It's making some battles hard but rather level them up on normal than struggle on hard mode. Also have a little OCD to max them all.

I ASSUME progress will go automatically flow in the next game and not be a default start? Or you at least have a choice.

• Advertisement

Given what the level cap is in this they seem to be somewhat interested in carry over I'd say.

There's no way it's a full carry over though, because they would have to add new skills and eventually all the characters will have lots of skill bloat. I expect it to be something like the way they do FFXIV, where they will prune some older skills (they better not take away my steelskin)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Next game is almost definitely no the new consoles so can't see how carryover will work

I'd say carryover will be possible with the BC compatibility but I don't want to carry over all my gear, I'm only half way through the game and have an absolute ton of materia already. Will be interesting to see how that's handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Next game is almost definitely no the new consoles so can't see how carryover will work

Why wouldn't it? I have the same PSN ID I had from PS3. No reason next gen would affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Would be easier to manage than something like Mass Effect where there are actual choices to keep track of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I love the FF series but started on FF9 so I've never actually played 7 or even know the story.

Looking at a couple of videos while trying to avoid spoilers, is the combat in this exactly like FF15? Have to say I'm a little disappointed it isnt turn based.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

joe123 wrote: »
    I love the FF series but started on FF9 so I've never actually played 7 or even know the story.

Looking at a couple of videos while trying to avoid spoilers, is the combat in this exactly like FF15? Have to say I'm a little disappointed it isnt turn based.

Really hard to summarise in a few words, but it's really nothing like 15. You do attack in real time as far as your standard attacks go, but you are only using standard attacks to fill your ATB gauge. Once that gauge is full you are generally pulling up a tactical command menu to order each character to use their abilities, and this slows down time to a crawl to give you time to plan out your attacks and which abilities to prioritise. You're also required to switch between party members as well to ensure all characters have ATB gague to spend, and also to make sure you're maximising damage output and exploiting weaknesses as much as possible. In FF15, it wasn't even possible to switch party members at launch, and when it was brought in it felt gimmicky, whereas here it is an absolute necessity and you almost certainly will struggle to beat certain bosses without doing so.

The closest comparison I can think of is the Dragon Age series, where you can attack in real time, but really to make any decent progress you need to be pausing combat and queuing abilities constantly, it honestly has more in common with the turn based nature of the original than it does with the shallow combat of FF15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Think I'll have to buy this, despite only having a PS4 on loan. Has there been any word of this coming to XboxOne any time soon? From what I read online most are saying 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

joe123 wrote: »
    Think I'll have to buy this, despite only having a PS4 on loan. Has there been any word of this coming to XboxOne any time soon? From what I read online most are saying 2021?

It will probably be available the Tuesday or Friday following April 10th 2021 as it is a one year timed exclusive on PS4.

On chapter 9, is the Colosseum worth going through or is it more just practice combat and tactics? Any rewards?
    I completed side quests from Sam, next up is to meet Aerith who should now have her dress. Not sure if I get a point of no return for this chapter so don;t want to miss Colosseum rewards before moving on.

The easiest fights in the Colosseum give you
    lvl2 limit breaks

That's just for whacking some ****ty rats and bandits, definitely do them.

The easiest fights in the Colosseum give you
    lvl2 limit breaks

That's just for whacking some ****ty rats and bandits, definitely do them.

Holy ****, first thing i'm doing when i get on tonight, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I just started chapter 9 last night. I didn't get all the rewards for whack a box minigame in the sector 5 slums. Will I have to wait till NG+ to give that another go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I just started chapter 9 last night. I didn't get all the rewards for whack a box minigame in the sector 5 slums. Will I have to wait till NG+ to give that another go?

No. There is another chance later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Finished the game last night. First off, overall I thought the game was excellent. Really fun combat, some nice expansions on the original and I didn't find the sidequests as tedious as some people seem to. I'll just throw the rest of my thoughts in spoilers to be on the safe side. There will be major spoilers in what I'm going to say, do not click if you don't want to read about major plot points/the ending. Fair warning :pac:
    Positives first: It's just amazing to see this world in this level of detail. It feels like I'm seeing the world the way I imagined it when playing the original. Some of the boss fights are amazing, Airbuster and the bosses at the end of the Shinra tower in particular really stand out. I was really skeptical of the game just covering the Midgar portion but having finished it I have no issues with that decision. Overall, it's a solid 8/10 game for me and I fully intend to go back and play through on hard mode.
    That said, there are quite a few negatives as well. I know that seems weird after saying the game is a 8/10 but some story decisions really drag things down a bit for me. I'm not entirely sold on the arbiters of fate but whatever, it's a JRPG, hammy references to fate are to be expected. It could have been handled better but I can understand the need to have a big OTT battle at the end of the game. If the game had ended at that point I'd have been a little confused but happy enough. The final battle against Sephiroth was IMO straight from a bad anime. I don't know how else to describe it. IT felt shoehorned in, Cloud was portrayed as far too powerful, and it was in general just cringey. Much more reminiscent of Advent Children than the original. Fans of that movie, Kingdom Hearts, or general Nomura bull**** will probably enjoy the ending sequence more than I did though I'm sure.
    If the game ended at the end of chapter 17 it would be an outstanding remake. Hell, if it ended before the last battle it would still be an amazing one. As it stands, it's an excellent game in its own right but as a remake of FF7 it just falls a bit flat for me. I'm still excited to see where they go with it, and even if they totally butcher the story I'll probably still enjoy the rest of the parts for the gameplay alone, but I'm concerned the next part is going to deviate significantly from the original after that ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/final_fantasy_vii_remake_has_a_serious_texture_quality_issue_on_ps4_and_ps4_pro

Good to see these issues called out and SE being taken to task. I've just reached a location in chapter 8 that I was eagerly anticipating getting to visit, and to be honest, the state of the textures has really pulled me out of the experience. I'm convinced at this stage it has to be a bug of some sort as there is absolutely no excuse for a game this linear looking as utterly s*ite as it does at times, especially when it is capable of looking stunning 20 seconds later.

Just blocked a guy on YouTube as his videos were coming up as recommended with titles spoiling scenes. They're not end game spoilers or anything but still, i don't wanna know. My friend is near the end and had the ending spoiled for him in a Facebook comment. I really hope i manage to avoid them.

The daytime sections of the game really make the game look bad. Textures look flat, lack of ambient occlusion and some of the environment just having no shadows at all. Then we have the nighttime sections which look really great, even if some of the shadows are baked in rather than rendered in real time.

Next gen is long over due for consoles. I hope the PS5 has a shorter life cycle than the PS4 just for the sake of the exclusives released towards the end of its days not being close to something that would run well on mid range spec PC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So finally got the game yesterday and loving it. While playing it I had a thought will people have to keep there Part 1 disk/system disk (I know I will) and finished safe to be able to start part 2 or will they do a Mass Effect and let people start from the 2nd bit with certain choices made. I feel there could be a lot of players of the game who normally sell games once they are finished and delete the save

So finally got the game yesterday and loving it. While playing it I had a thought will people have to keep there Part 1 disk/system disk (I know I will) and finished safe to be able to start part 2 or will they do a Mass Effect and let people start from the 2nd bit with certain choices made. I feel there could be a lot of players of the game who normally sell games once they are finished and delete the save

I'm not sure how they are going to work carry over content. The only story choices that would matter (from original) would be deciding on who Cloud goes on a date with and optional characters if they are actually optional this time around. If i remember correctly nothing else you do effects the story, unless the remake changes some stuff as i haven't finished it yet.

Then obviously you have items that carry over and levels and materia progression. The one thing that makes carry over seem like it won't happen is cause of the amount of skills and materia you get in part 1 alone. Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga are all available in this game. Are we supposed to stick with those for the other 2* games? I'm at chapter 9 and each character is slowly building on their skill set. Cloud for example has 6 different abilities he can do outside of casting magic. Whats it going to look like by the end of part 3* of the game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is shiva fight hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Is shiva fight hard?

nope but definitely don't do it with a party of one.

my strat was as follows:
    have Aerith cast her Arcane Wand (think that's what is it called, the ring that allows for magic spells to be cast twice. equip her with cure and fire material preferably ones with cura/fira and have her cast them inside the ring. have cloud spamming away fire as well as having Ifrit summoned when the time is right. Other than that it's just making sure you call your magic at the right times and make sure you're not hit whilst in the middle of casting.

The daytime sections of the game really make the game look bad. Textures look flat, lack of ambient occlusion and some of the environment just having no shadows at all. Then we have the nighttime sections which look really great, even if some of the shadows are baked in rather than rendered in real time.

Next gen is long over due for consoles. I hope the PS5 has a shorter life cycle than the PS4 just for the sake of the exclusives released towards the end of its days not being close to something that would run well on mid range spec PC
    Finally someone explains what I was failing to understand was wrong, the lack of shadows/ambient occlusion do make things look really flat.

I don't know why this is, surely the PS4 can do more than this. I'll get it on PC anyway but I'm not having high hopes it will be a big improvement

Just finished Chapter 9 last night and started 10...
    The devs really deserve a lot of applause for keeping the creepiness and actually adding to it. You can see the love being poured into the game. **** that dance mini game though, tough as balls.

Also, had to laugh when I found the orphan teacher in a back alley :pac:

The sewer boss at the start of 10 was so good as well, the boss fights are epic. I was dreading the sewer section bit but so far, it's actually enjoyable. Tifa and Aerith have great chemistry.

• Advertisement

Johnny's quests Bro

He triggers Cloud regularly

Good times

Advertisement