Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fun 'Deep Dive' video into Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

This Video ONLY covers first 4 chapters. All the spoilers for those chapters, but no discussion of anything beyond that or discussion of knowledge from the original Final Fantasy story line beyond what would have occured. (MinnMax, former GamesInformer guys)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_TWmB1ofGM

Chapters 4-9 will be done next week (monday on Youtube I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There was an enemy in original FFVII called a Ghost Ship. And the crashed plane underwater, the Gelnika, with it's weird unknown enemies could be considered a bit bit ghostly.

you needed to transform it for something important, something like underwater materia to fight one of the weapons, i remember searching / farming it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just wondering anyone who ordered from Smyths, do they use an post or a courier? I got a shipped email yesterday but track my parcel button doesnt work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you needed to transform it for something important, something like underwater materia to fight one of the weapons, i remember searching / farming it

Think most of those enemies could be transformed into permanent stat boost items.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

joe123 wrote: »
    Just wondering anyone who ordered from Smyths, do they use an post or a courier? I got a shipped email yesterday but track my parcel button doesnt work.

An Post yes. The track button doesn’t work as I’d say they’ve got staff in that are temp and haven’t been trained how to update the account with the number. Just a guess though.

Mine came in 2 days from shipment notification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The sunken Gelnika was great!! Felt like finding a proper secret area when I stumbled across it in my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is there a part in the original game where you go onto a ghost ship? I remember in a lot of the Jrpg's from that time there a ghost ship in a lot of them lol.

Sounds more like Seiken Densetsu 3, it was a very memorable part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

my "pre order" from game.co.uk just arrived.... thanks lads.
    put the standard edition game box from inside it for sale on facebook and it was sold in 2 minutes haha.
    Glad I went for a shopto copy aswell rather than wait an extra fortnight

sidenote: Its feckin class when you're running around in a battle with cloud and with certain swords he'll trail the edge of the blade along the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Question on the battle Intel, I'm on 17 & 18, chapter 13.
    When it says to master all 12 magic materia, does anyone know if multiples of the same kind count or reach individual type of green materia? I only have 10 types, some never used, this is gonna take a while.

Also, once i clear the game and restart on hard, do i have all my materia or is that specifically for chapter select?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Question on the battle Intel, I'm on 17 & 18, chapter 13.
    When it says to master all 12 magic materia, does anyone know if multiples of the same kind count or reach individual type of green materia? I only have 10 types, some never used, this is gonna take a while.

Also, once i clear the game and restart on hard, do i have all my materia or is that specifically for chapter select?

12 types of
    green materia:
    Fire, Lightning, Ice, Wind, Binding, Healing, Poison, Subversion, Time, Cleansing, Barrier, Revival

• Advertisement

Morpork wrote: »
    12 types of
    green materia:
    Fire, Lightning, Ice, Wind, Binding, Healing, Poison, Subversion, Time, Cleansing, Barrier, Revival
    Ah i actually have 11, missing Time but just looked it up and saw it unlocks in chapter 17. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

Did you receive your copy red?

My first class one still hasn’t arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ah i actually have 11, missing Time but just looked it up and saw it unlocks in chapter 17. Thanks!

You can get that from
    a side mission in chapter 14 as well iirc. I got it in chapter 14 anyway.

Just finished it there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Chapter 14 actually - from a side quest!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Maybe even the quagmire of bad taste Legend of Dragoon? I mean that game was so devoid of any original material it had to have one.

You just had to get that dig in didn't! you :mad: how dare you! LOD had the greatest ever twist at the end of disc for your information!

:pac:

I was watching YouTuber GamRiot fight Colosseum boss
    Hell House
    and was hilarious that he didn't know why he wasn't damaging it. Was enjoying his confusion until the boss was dead... In about quarter of the time it took me. Looked up his first video and he started the game on classic mode (auto fighting and Easy difficulty). Looked so boring. I'm usually a fan of his, one of the rare Lets Play people I'll watch but that put me off watching any of the other videos in his series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm 13 chapters in and I have a few comments on the game so far.

Personally, I think it's nowhere near as good as I was expecting it to be. I feel like the game has a lot of padding in it. One particular chapter took me about 4 hours to finish
    (Wall Market lasted way too long. Way too much running around after people in that place)
    when it should've really taken an hour and a half or thereabouts.

I'm hoping the next part of this game, whenever it comes out, makes up for this. In FFVII I always preferred the openness of the world as opposed to Midgar.

I don't hate Midgar, I just thought even in the original it went on a good while before it really opened up, and I had it in my mind that this game was gonna be absolutely packed with content and new things to do, and while there are certainly new things to do, I feel I wouldn't miss them if they weren't included. Some of the side missions felt absolutely pointless to me.

My overall opinion thus far has been "this is a fun game, I'm enjoying it"

Nothing has made me addicted to it. I am still asking why this game needed to take up two blu-ray discs. The Witcher 3 is 10x the size of it, with major expansion packs, and only needed one disc.

As far as I'm concerned I think Square Enix were being a bit pretentious with this one. It's a good game but it is nothing special, so far.

Storywise, though, I am very invested in the characters, but this is a video game, and the gameplay and content needs to compliment that as well, and so far, the story is top notch, the gameplay is fine, but everything else, from side missions and extra content - I feel I wouldn't miss.

My opinion may change the more I play, but right now I'm a little disappointed by how this game has turned out. I don't think it's nearly as good as people are making it out to be. It's GOOD! but it's not one of the best. I kinda wish I waited for a sale, but that's on me. I'll keep plugging away. I'm enjoying it.

I just think it's not as big as SqEnix are telling us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I feel the same about it. I really enjoyed the game but I think that had a lot to do with the characters and story. The combat was very good too but I couldn't help but feel that gameplay content was lacking.
    This was especiallly noticeable when I was replaying on hard mode and skipping cutscenes, half the content disappeared and the gameplay came to the fore and it felt restricted with very little to do but move on with the story.

Having said that I'm quite optimistic about the next installment.

I just started chapter 14, about 25 hours in and have loved every minute. Greatly exceeded my expectations. Not once have i felt it was padded as i was too busy enjoying the gameplay. To me, this is the perfect mix of nostalgia and modern gaming. I don't want it to end but at the same time looking forward to hard mode.

Incredible to think about what they can manage in the next game with an open world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Completed normal mode. Time to Grind Hard mode and get the remaining trophies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I wasn't going to get it but am glad I did. There are some things I'm not a fan of. The combat is largely ok but getting interrupted and then having to build ATB again has triggered me a few times. I'm looking at you tonbery and your ohk nonsense.

Swapping materia around is cumbersome.

I can't remember ever hating a map as much as this one.

Just completed it. I feel empty. Wtf do I play now.

Also loved it overall, some minor gripes aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Just completed it. I feel empty. Wtf do I play now.

Also loved it overall, some minor gripes aside.

My only gripe is the pacing is sometimes off.

The game tries to build tension and momentum (climbing the tower for instance) then characters pause to have a heart to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The game definitely has some issues that I think would be called out a lot more if it wasn't riding such a huge wave of nostalgia.

For the record, it's easily my GotY so far, and whilst I think it's a great game in it's own right, I don't think it would be anywhere near my GotY contenders were it not for how attached I am to the FF7 universe. I'm definitely giving a lot of **** like the side quests, pacing, and filler (which isn't really an issue at the start, but the further in you get, the padding becomes a lot more frequent IMO) a pass due to the fact that I'm just delighted to finally be playing the remake and am amazed it turned out as well as it did despite it's obvious issues.

goon_magee wrote: »
    The game definitely has some issues that I think would be called out a lot more if it wasn't riding such a huge wave of nostalgia.

For the record, it's easily my GotY so far, and whilst I think it's a great game in it's own right, I don't think it would be anywhere near my GotY contenders were it not for how attached I am to the FF7 universe. I'm definitely giving a lot of **** like the side quests, pacing, and filler (which isn't really an issue at the start, but the further in you get, the padding becomes a lot more frequent IMO) a pass due to the fact that I'm just delighted to finally be playing the remake and am amazed it turned out as well as it did despite it's obvious issues.

Ya I agree with that. Chapter 14 is basically side quests and a repeat of past chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ReverseGiraffe

Finished it, if the rest of it is at this level of quality it'll be my favourite game ever. Had some small gripes with certain things but the highs were as high as from any game I've ever played, overall they've set an incredible standard here can't wait for the next part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Was surprised with the famous scene in wall market, thought they handled it in a tasteful way but also a way that made sense.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Was surprised with the famous scene in wall market, thought they handled it in a tasteful way but also a way that made sense.

Nailed it, I know, thank you, moving on.. :D:D

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Nailed it, I know, thank you, moving on.. :D:D

I'm only after hitting this part now so I only just got the context for this post. Great line, so simple but the delivery and timing of it was perfect :pac:

One thing this game has in spades is great humour. The comedic timing with the snappy quips and one liners is absolutely on point and I frequently find myself laughing my ass off during the game, which is something very few games manage to make me do.

• Advertisement

Don Corneo feels especially relevant in 2020; he's like a creepy, weird blend of Harvey Weinstein, Trump and Joe Exotic.

He was weird in the original, but getting to hear him and see that belly and hair bounce around in 4K gives him a whole new aura!

Advertisement