Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Finished it this morning and im still gathering my thoughts on it, but ill outline what i feel about the remake.

To start off i've played the original game about 30 times, each time i've loved it. And i was delighted that i got the same feeling playing Remakes Bombing mission. They nailed the atmosphere right from the beginning.

I loved it right up until
    The specters (whispers) started to appear, it was then that i knew they were gonna change the game fundamental narrative in some ways, not sure if it was going to be for the better.

The combat is fantastic, was a bit clunky to begin with while i got used to it, but once you got the command dealing out of the way it flows much better.
    Enemy skill = Pretty pointless
    I wasnt 100% sure that i liked seeing Sephiroth so early in the game, but once i finished the game i understood what they were trying to accomplish

Stupid sexy Tifa
    The ending, oh boy! So they're going to go with multiple timelines angle with crossover with Zack... big hmmmm from me, but ill reserve judgement until the next instalment.
    Jesse, Biggs and Wedge should have died in Sector 7 plate collapse

Loved Wall Market back then, still love it now. Nailed it.

Im sure i have more thoughts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Question about chapter 16 and point of no return.
    I got to the combat simulator and met Chadley afterwards. I have leviathan to beat (gave him 2 goes previously and got bate) and master 12 magic materia (of which i have 6 done and making good progress on the others). Is this my last chance meeting Chadley and completing the report? If i push on with the story, can i meet Chadley in the chapter select and finish the report then?

Does gil carry over in chapter detect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Question about chapter 16 and point of no return.
    I got to the combat simulator and met Chadley afterwards. I have leviathan to beat (gave him 2 goes previously and got bate) and master 12 magic materia (of which i have 6 done and making good progress on the others). Is this my last chance meeting Chadley and completing the report? If i push on with the story, can i meet Chadley in the chapter select and finish the report then?

Does gil carry over in chapter detect?

Yes you can go back after game to clean up everything. With hard mode you get more mp? To make the materia level up quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

The Shinra HQ is feckin beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Oof, chapter 12 boss battle kicked my ass. Beat it first go but it's probably the first time I've really felt the difficulty spike. Couldn't even get a stagger gauge half full, never mind actually pull off a stagger. I'd go so far as to say it felt outright cheap at times. Trying to get any sort of cohesion going at all between party members was almost impossible with the amount of attacks being spammed at you from different directions.

Admittedly I'm not amazing at the combat, so I'm sure most found it a breeze. Really long battle as well so I'm glad I didn't have to replay it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

This is a long thread so apologises, I have not read it.
    Currently what is the best option for someone living in Ireland to buy a physical copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Had a glitch lastnight i was fighting the
    ghost
    and i fell through the floor and the game crashed.

This is a long thread so apologises, I have not read it.
    Currently what is the best option for someone living in Ireland to buy a physical copy?

gamestop.ie or you could try a tesco or supervalue ( not sure if either got stock of it but worth a shot )

gamestop.ie or you could try a tesco or supervalue ( not sure if either got stock of it but worth a shot )

gamestop.ie charge €70
    It was £51.24(58.69, I have free prime shipping) when it was available direct from Amazon but now out of stock.

Was the lower price only available as a pre-order?

gamestop.ie charge €70
    It was £51.24(58.69, I have free prime shipping) when it was available direct from Amazon but now out of stock.

Was the lower price only available as a pre-order?

Gamestop are always the dearest unfortunately. actually I forgot smyths were delivering. €59.99 there and its in stock

• Advertisement

Ordered from Smyths, thank you!

It even said it was going to charge me a few euro for delivery but it didn't.

I'm on chapter 17
    Goddamn they nailed Red

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Been avoiding the thread to avoid potential spoilers, but just to update, my copy finally arrived from Square yesterday :)

Happy times!

I will return when I get a decent run at it tonight! only about 3 hours in !

Feel like there should be a seperate thread of this for those that have completed it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feel like there should be a seperate thread of this for those that have completed it...

Just use
    Spoiler tags

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Onto ch 12 , in the original if I remember correctly
    jesse, wedge and biggs all die right?
    :(.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »

That's there productions cost and more back anyway.

Onto ch 12 , in the original if I remember correctly
    jesse, wedge and biggs all die right?
    :(.

No no no...
    they take a well needed vacation and go to a chocobo farm for the rest of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Finished it today. I'll echo what others have said
    it is a fantastic game. I've played FF7 a few times so well versed in the story. I would say that anyone coming fresh into this game is going to be confused with all the flashbacks and glimpses of scenes in the original. Sephiroth isn't really explained in the original until Kalm, so there's no primer to who he is or what his motives are in the remake.
    I really liked the expansion of the story, deeper characters and the humor was top notch.
    I understand what they were going for with the whispers, but some other mechanic other than a flock of dementors would have been much better. The surrealness really took me out of the grounded, physical world of Midgar.

I like the concept that there are other timelines, or there's an even bigger backstory, but it feels like it could go the way Metal Gear series (oh you haven't played the Metal Gear ACID on PSP? Well now you're not going to understand this bit of the PS4 game plot) Some of the explanations online refer to Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core. I want to play FF7, not the expanded universe stuff.

Can't wait to see what direction they take, but I feel some trepidation given what I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is someone who never played the original, or any FF games (other than a very brief go at the online one) going to be totally lost in this?

On another note, what are Smyths like for delivery? Fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

awec wrote: »
    Is someone who never played the original, or any FF games (other than a very brief go at the online one) going to be totally lost in this?
    Nah you can go into this knowing nothing. Only thing you'll miss out on is nostalgia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no it's a standalone game that you don't need to have played any of the others, the nostalgia kick is great but not essential

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

End game WRT new players
    The ending won't actually make sense if you haven't played FFVII before, because it involves time travel to parts of the original FFVII story and changing its outcome.

Also no explanation of what Sephiroth actually is and why he might be interested in changing fate, or the meaning of the flashforwards

gimli2112 wrote: »
    no it's a standalone game that you don't need to have played any of the others, the nostalgia kick is great but not essential

I don't know about this,
    with flashbacks to Nibelheim, the scattered way Sephiroth is introduced and other small changes in the remake it would be worth reading the FF7 plot synopsis on Wikipedia before starting this game.

If the story is going the direction people think it's going, then you may need to understand the original to get the significance of certain events.

Man, I've played the original across different platforms 30+ times and still don't know what's going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should play the fan translation on PC. It's not that complex or clever and it makes you realise all the ambiguity is all down to the bad translation. Makes some things better (cloud and Aeris especially) and some a lot worse (Sephiroth and the boring 'strenght of his will' anime deus ex machina).

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Man, I've played the original across different platforms 30+ times and still don't know what's going on.

Happy I'm not the only one. I was straight into YouTube to get the explainer.

Reminds me of the first watch through of the Witcher.

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only confused one. I think I heard that thing about the poor translation before although it could have been one of your earlier posts on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

A major plot twist gets explained really poorly in the localisation.
    Sephiroth being dead (sort of) and being the central point of Jenova's reunion. Which is why jenova left the Shinra building to find Seph, cause he was using it to get black materia up to him so he could scar the planet and eat the juicy mako

It's all there in the localisation but characters just throw it out there and change the topic very quickly.

Also there is a really weird bit where they make it sound like Cloud is a Frankenstein monster by Hojo. I have no idea still what they were going for there, if it was a mistranslation or Seph was just gaslighting him for the craic.

For what it's worth I don't find any of it to be a bad deus ex machina or whatever, if you buy into the idea that Jenova was basically made inert from millenia of being stuck inside ice in north crater and supressed by Shinra. Seph had the largest dose of its cells and was probably best equipped to take over the hive mind. But none of this is explained super well by any of the games localisations

Tim Rogers did a deep dive of VII's translation, he was of the view that the translator did not actually look at the game itself while they were translating it. Which makes some sense.

Advertisement