Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

A major plot twist gets explained really poorly in the localisation.
    Sephiroth being dead (sort of) and being the central point of Jenova's reunion. Which is why jenova left the Shinra building to find Seph, cause he was using it to get black materia up to him so he could scar the planet and eat the juicy mako

It's all there in the localisation but characters just throw it out there and change the topic very quickly.

Also there is a really weird bit where they make it sound like Cloud is a Frankenstein monster by Hojo. I have no idea still what they were going for there, if it was a mistranslation or Seph was just gaslighting him for the craic.

For what it's worth I don't find any of it to be a bad deus ex machina or whatever, if you buy into the idea that Jenova was basically made inert from millenia of being stuck inside ice in north crater and supressed by Shinra. Seph had the largest dose of its cells and was probably best equipped to take over the hive mind. But none of this is explained super well by any of the games localisations

Tim Rogers did a deep dive of VII's translation, he was of the view that the translator did not actually look at the game itself while they were translating it. Which makes some sense.

That is normal for the translator to be given no context. There was a recent trailer for Sea of Thieves that translated the present to cadeaux.

There's also this gem from the German translation of Grandia.

https://twitter.com/Chaz_Ashley/status/1162471496847171587?s=19

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Translating games is really hard because the language used can be really weird, it's much more prone to error than other software.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That is normal for the translator to be given no context. There was a recent trailer for Sea of Thieves that translated the present to cadeaux.
    There's also this gem from the German translation of Grandia.

:D:D

I threw that into Google translate. For anyone not bothered, in the German version, they mistranslated the English word "miss" as in hit or miss, to the German, Fraulein, or "miss" as in Mr., Mrs. and Miss.
    awec wrote: »
    Translating games is really hard because the language used can be really weird, it's much more prone to error than other software.

I have German friends who struggle with German grammar. Don't know how it works in something like Japanese where you have different formalities and cultural backgrounds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A major plot twist gets explained really poorly in the localisation.
    Sephiroth being dead (sort of) and being the central point of Jenova's reunion. Which is why jenova left the Shinra building to find Seph, cause he was using it to get black materia up to him so he could scar the planet and eat the juicy mako

It's all there in the localisation but characters just throw it out there and change the topic very quickly.

Also there is a really weird bit where they make it sound like Cloud is a Frankenstein monster by Hojo. I have no idea still what they were going for there, if it was a mistranslation or Seph was just gaslighting him for the craic.

For what it's worth I don't find any of it to be a bad deus ex machina or whatever, if you buy into the idea that Jenova was basically made inert from millenia of being stuck inside ice in north crater and supressed by Shinra. Seph had the largest dose of its cells and was probably best equipped to take over the hive mind. But none of this is explained super well by any of the games localisations

Tim Rogers did a deep dive of VII's translation, he was of the view that the translator did not actually look at the game itself while they were translating it. Which makes some sense.

No, it's a pretty big deus ex machina. I used to think differently
    had a few arguments that Jenova was in control of Sephiroth the whole time as he is basically doing fulfilling what Jenova wanted. I was corrected by people here that it wasn't anything that complex that Sephiroth was able to control Jenova through the sheer force of his will. And what do you know, the fan translation basically spells it out, no ambiguity. It just feels like a major cop out. Really weakens his character as him going crazy happens too quickly and doesn't quite fit. He's just a generic jrpg bad guy that wants to destroy the world and comes across less interesting than Kefka.

They pulled the same force of our will ****e at the end of FF13 as well. And you see it in anime an awful lot.

Did really like about Cloud
    that him taking on the persona of Zack was a defense mechanism of the Jenova cells and ties in with how Jenova integrated itself within the Cetra as it took an an ancients persona to disguise itself. Never picked that up in the original translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finished chapter 17, Jesus what an absolute banger of a way to end the chapter
    2 epic boss battles and an AWESOME cutscene.
    Really looking forward to finishing it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    No no no...
    they take a well needed vacation and go to a chocobo farm for the rest of the game...

Lolz

Done and done, that last chapter was just chaotic beauty.

Ending spoilers
    changed and multiple timelines, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they do with the next game. So it looks like Sephiroth has travelled back in time as he knows how it ended for him in the first game and is trying to change things. In the muddle of timelines, we now have one where Zach lives so we can expect some very messy bounce around.

I look forward to the familiar locations and characters from the original with the new twists in the games to come.

Overall, i absolutely loved, blew my socks off and now I'm going straight into hard playthrough trying to get the platinum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

So Im now on Chapter 8.

Being a massive FF fan, I thought the combat would have grabbed me by now. Usually once you understand the mechanics, it becomes a great experience.

Unfortunately it still feels randomly chaotic for me. Just manic battles and me randomly tapping abilities. Its difficult jump to the correct character to increase their ATB, and half the time Tifa who is more close quarters, is standing back from the actual battle.

While the game isn't hard, think I've died only once, I want to get to the point where I really start to enjoy the combat. Without spoilers, can anyone direct me to a decent guide on how to get the best out of it or is this pretty much the experience?

At this point my thoughts are the combat is too fast/too much going on, and far too easy.

joe123 wrote: »
    So Im now on Chapter 8.

Being a massive FF fan, I thought the combat would have grabbed me by now. Usually once you understand the mechanics, it becomes a great experience.

Unfortunately it still feels randomly chaotic for me. Just manic battles and me randomly tapping abilities. Its difficult jump to the correct character to increase their ATB, and half the time Tifa who is more close quarters, is standing back from the actual battle.

While the game isn't hard, think I've died only once, I want to get to the point where I really start to enjoy the combat. Without spoilers, can anyone direct me to a decent guide on how to get the best out of it or is this pretty much the experience?

At this point my thoughts are the combat is too fast/too much going on, and far too easy.

My only tip is that the only point of attacking using square is to boost your ATB gauge. Once you have that filled you should be using some special attack or magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the house killed me a few times as did tonberry, a few random stupid deaths and I died yesterday in the Shinara VR mode which led to a lot of foul language which I'm sure my neighbour's didn't appreciate at that hour of the night, I also died once to Shiva and once or twice to Leviathian. Actually I've come quite adept at dying.

It generally follows a pattern.
    What's this? I probably should prepare for it. Nah, feck it.

On chapter 5 on hard mode and loving it, some tricky battles but the level 6 weapon upgrades (and the new manuscripts in hard mode) are great! "Skip bike mini game?" Yes please. Some great quality of life features in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've just finished Chapter 16. I hate how I feel this game is
    only starting to pick up now
    :(

Also
    I thought Squenix said that Red XIII wasn't gonna be in this game? He's not only in it, but he interacts with the main cast. Unless I misread the statement in that maybe he's not playable? Is that what they meant?

Again, the game is playing wonderfully. I love the combat mechanics, and I love the materia system and organising it. I just think my lack of enthusiasm for the game as a whole stems from the fact I hated Midgar in the original but I did enjoy the latter section very much.
    So it only makes sense that I'm starting to love the game by the point I'm at. The "history of the ancients" video package was amazing to watch.

I'm gonna try and maybe beat it tonight. I'm not sure if I'll go back and get the platinum.

I've just finished Chapter 16. I hate how I feel this game is
    only starting to pick up now
    :(

Also
    I thought Squenix said that Red XIII wasn't gonna be in this game? He's not only in it, but he interacts with the main cast. Unless I misread the statement in that maybe he's not playable? Is that what they meant?

Again, the game is playing wonderfully. I love the combat mechanics, and I love the materia system and organising it. I just think my lack of enthusiasm for the game as a whole stems from the fact I hated Midgar in the original but I did enjoy the latter section very much.
    So it only makes sense that I'm starting to love the game by the point I'm at. The "history of the ancients" video package was amazing to watch.

I'm gonna try and maybe beat it tonight. I'm not sure if I'll go back and get the platinum.

I can't understand why
    they didn't make him playable. He joined in fights, had fight animations, would it really have been that difficult to make him a playable character?? All he needs is one ability, a limit break and a character card in the main menu

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Considering how rushed the game feels in parts I think it would have been seen as a lot of unecessary work.

I'm reminded of how people found a 'playable' version of Vergil in DMC5... yet he couldn't walk forward in a straight line. Modders have only just managed to get Vergil 'walking'. With a lab rat dog I bet that would be even more difficult
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

joe123 wrote: »
    So Im now on Chapter 8.

Don't heal in combat. After scorpion boss I stopped healing in combat and it has made the gameplay far better. I'm on chapter 17 now and have yet to heal during combat. Try it. The game won't be to easy for you anymore, and you may end up learning to control the fights far better rather than it being chaotic like you said

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the house killed me a few times as did tonberry, a few random stupid deaths and I died yesterday in the Shinara VR mode which led to a lot of foul language which I'm sure my neighbour's didn't appreciate at that hour of the night, I also died once to Shiva and once or twice to Leviathian. Actually I've come quite adept at dying.

It generally follows a pattern.
    What's this? I probably should prepare for it. Nah, feck it.

That backstard Tonberry is one of the only times my characters were in serious danger. Hated that little thing in the original, hate it even more in the remake.

The house was tough, but more annoying until you figured out why the heck you weren't able to damage it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Necro wrote: »
    That backstard Tonberry is one of the only times my characters were in serious danger. Hated that little thing in the original, hate it even more in the remake.

The house was tough, but more annoying until you figured out why the heck you weren't able to damage it :o

Tonberry was only time I wiped, that Chefs Knife is lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The Tonberry can f*ck right off. On him now as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

goon_magee wrote: »
    The Tonberry can f*ck right off. On him now as we speak.

Stay to his back and be patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Is there any reason why I can't use most of my summons in most of the boss fights I've come across in chapter 14? I've read online that summons are tied to arena size, but surely that can't be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Beat the game there now.

There were things I really enjoyed (combat, boss fights, story elements, RPG mechanics) and things I couldn't stand (obvious padding, questionable visual decisions, the idea of exploring Midgar again, quite possibly my least favourite location in FFVII), so overall it was really good.

I don't know if I'll return to it. I'm mentally fatigued after doing the last three chapters in one go and the thoughts of re-exploring Midgar is off-putting.

I'll see how I feel in a few months but I'm thinking I'll maybe jump back in for the sake of the sequel being nearby, whenever that'll be.

It was good, but I honestly think I've played better RPGs of its nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

About 12 hours in, just about start Chapter 8 where you
    meet Aerith

Have to say, similar to Johnny_ultimate, I was a bit concerned about the combat after the demo but the full game's version was much more satisfying and I do really enjoy the combat mechanics. YouSavedMyLife's idea of not healing would definitely be very interesting to try but I'm busy dad so I take my easy wins when I get them :D

I do like the fleshed out pieces of the plot, not the padded dungeons as much. I thought chapter 2 did a very good job of showing what the actual impact was of blowing up the first reactor on the every day citizen and I really enjoyed walking around sector 7 slums for a while and getting a better idea of what the world is trying to present. The skybox when you see the plate from the slums is awesome too.

I really like the characters, I think the voice acting so far has been bang on, and I am loving the constant banter between Barret and Cloud. I was worried Barret would stay the way he's seen in the demo but he thaws quick enough after that as seen in the original game.

I've noticed the texture thing on occasion too, as mentioned previously
    the apartment is really bad for it
    . And as someone else pointed out previously, considering you can see the veins in Barret's shoulders, having NPCs that look a generation or two older is a bit of a disconnect but not the worst in the world. If I can relate to Chibi characters in the original, that won't throw me off too much.

I've a feeling the Hard playthrough will be a horror to play through but if I was ever gonna get a platinum for a game, this will be it.

RedXIV wrote: »

I've a feeling the Hard playthrough will be a horror to play through but if I was ever gonna get a platinum for a game, this will be it.

I'm on chapter 7 on hard about to face
    Airbuster
    . It's been handy so far but i think this will be the first proper test. The level 6 weapon upgrades are class, like everyone has 'reprieve' (insta revive once per battle) helps things along.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm on chapter 7 on hard about to face
    Airbuster
    . It's been handy so far but i think this will be the first proper test. The level 6 weapon upgrades are class, like everyone has 'reprieve' (insta revive once per battle) helps things along.
    Grab the 6 cards and get rid of all the bombs and 3 AI units

Grab the 6 cards and get rid of all the bombs and 3 AI units
    I only found 5, got rid of all but 1 bomb and 2 ai units. Think I'm gonna regret that 1 bomb i left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

**** the pull up game on hard, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

No heal run cleared! Took me 57 hours. I had to re-try a few bosses and did all side mission that i could (missed 2) The game is held up by the combat and nostalgia alone. I was enjoying the story til the last chapter, the ending was really bad imo and drops the game to a 6.5/10 for me.

Won't be playing through the game again on NG+ and im now on the fence about buying Episode 2. Nomura has to go

New game +????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Where to buy this now guys? Preferably not amazon.

Advertisement