Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

FFVII wrote: »
    Where to buy this now guys? Preferably not amazon.

The game collection just got stock back, they are not shipping to Ireland atm though So will require a Parcel Motel account or similar.

Shopto also have stock, costs €53.60 shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

The game collection just got stock back, they are not shipping to Ireland atm though So will require a Parcel Motel account or similar.

Shopto also have stock, costs €53.60 shipped.
    Great, shopto it is. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

When Barrett hummed that tune I had a smile from ear to ear

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'm on chapter 7 on hard about to face
    Airbuster
    . It's been handy so far but i think this will be the first proper test. The level 6 weapon upgrades are class, like everyone has 'reprieve' (insta revive once per battle) helps things along.

Beat him on first go, I'm unstoppable!..... Well let's see how the house goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Finished it there tonight and thought I'd post. Like most I enjoyed it, 40+ hours playtime and for the vast majority of that I was enjoying myself. That being said it's certainly not without its flaws. 8/10 for me.

I'll start with what I liked: the characters, the visuals (most of the time), the combat system (most of the time) and the music (personal high point for me). Like most on this thread I grew up with the original and must have played through it 20+ times over the years so was very much wearing nostalgia tinted glasses playing this.

In terms of what I didn't like, there's a few things. As some have mentioned, there's a fair bit of padding in this.
    They've fleshed out the Midgar section and when it's done well, it's great (see Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie being much more prominent than original). But it's not always done well; certain sections of this game absolutely drag in. Lots of time spent traversing uninteresting sewers / dungeons etc, sometimes for hours. The worst part of the game by far (for me) was The Drum. Did they really need to add this in? it really added nothing to the overall story and to me served no purpose other than to pad the game out.

Shinra HQ as a whole was actually far less interesting than in the original, despite it obviously looking amazing this time around.

I mentioned I like the combat system for the most part and I've posted here before about how I don't like the interruption mechanic, particularly because you lose MP for spells you intended to cast despite them being interrupted, but I won't bleat on about that again.

End game spoilers :
    The entire final section where you fight those whisper guys - wut? I really really wasn't into that. Awful whiff of Kingdom Hearts about it and I know that's to be expected given who's behind the wheel for this remake but it seemed very shoehorned in to me. I also don't like the idea of FF7 leaning on Kingdom Hearts ideas. Reminds me of the Tomb Raider reboots ripping off Uncharted which was itself inspired by the original Tomb Raider games.
    If this is a three-parter, and they're going down some sort of time-travel / multi-verse route, then this is probably as much "remake" as we're going to get. The rest of the instalments will be new content, which is fine. I do think it's quite clever if the story is essentially Sephiroth altering the events of the original game (if indeed that is the route they're going down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I mentioned I like the combat system for the most part and I've posted here before about how I don't like the interruption mechanic, particularly because you lose MP for spells you intended to cast despite them being interrupted, but I won't bleat on about that again.

I really hate that mechanic. I was in the Shinra VR simulator. Cloud solo on the last fight. Went to fire a thunderga which would almost certainly have won it and got hit by an attack that silenced me, just as he was about to cast it.I could have ran around for the next few minutes but I was overdue a rage quit.

I like the interrupt system, adds tactic to the battle. Casting *aga is risk/reward, high damage but long cast time. I only use them when i know I'm in the clear or else there'd be *aga's shooting off all over the place.

My end time was 42 hours but i didn't get the feeling of plodding through dungeons for hours but i agree
    The Drum
    went on too long. Saying that, It's mad how fast I'm getting through it now skipping cutscenes and side stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I can't stand the interrupt mechanic neither. I get its purpose, but the camera loses its mind so much during battles that it can be extremely hard to get a read of the battlefield and know if you're about to get hit with something.

On Chapter 17 now so will hopefully get finished with it today. I've really enjoyed it, but in all honesty, I've gone from loving the game in the first half which I felt was really well paced, to actually looking forward to being done with it.

I definitely think if this was a new IP, rather than a remake of a game so many of us love, review scores for this would sit around a 6. In my view, the game has a fantastic combat system, and good narrative, but that's where the positives end. Horrendous dungeon design in the back half, awful quest design, insane padding in places and some of the most half baked visuals I've seen this gen outside of the character models. Honestly, the game gets a pass from me in the visual department on the strength of its art design, but in all honesty SE should be ashamed of themselves for how lazy some of this is graphically.

The final straw for me last night was chapter 16, where the game does that really obnoxious thing where its characters actually remark on how tedious some of the things are that you're being made to do in game, I.e. climb endless stairs, go up numerous elevators, flip numerous switches. If at any point, a dev feels the need to make a character in game, in this case Barret, whinge about how often or tedious an in game mechanic is, chances are that mechanic isn't going to be fun for some of your player base.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Hands down one of the best game’s I have ever played I have been glue to it since the day I got it,

Every game has its issues same as films or tv shows,

Myself I don’t compare this to original FF7 it’s a remake and it’s not a remaster and I go in to it as a completely new game just like I did with God of war on the PS4 I went in expecting something different and I got it, to me this is more so FF16 then a remake of FF7

The gameplay is hands down one of the best RPG gameplay I have ever seen it’s like they took FF12 fighting and made it better,

The story is amazing so far and shocked that it only covered 10% to 15% of the original game so I am like how many of these are we going to get and when can I get part 2 ? Haha,

Anyway this two me was the best ff since 12 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I said earlier Aeris is a fruitcake. Here's the fruitcake irl finding the character for the first time, in game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Every game has its issues same as films or tv shows,

Indeed, but most TV shows and films don’t have characters running around generic industrial corridors awkwardly pulling levers for hours on end ;)

I’m glad many people are enjoying the game, always happy to see anything live up to expectations for folks! Personally though I find my motivation to (ahem) fight on to be limited given what I’d consider some of the biggest design problems I’ve seen in a AAA game since RDR2 (although thankfully it isn’t quite to that game’s level of utter, insufferable tedium). It’s a game of solid highs but frequent lows, and the ratio of those things is a rather askew for my own tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Indeed, but most TV shows and films don’t have characters running around generic industrial corridors awkwardly pulling levers for hours on end ;)

I’m glad many people are enjoying the game, always happy to see anything live up to expectations for folks! Personally though I find my motivation to (ahem) fight on to be limited given what I’d consider some of the biggest design problems I’ve seen in a AAA game since RDR2 (although thankfully it isn’t quite to that game’s level of utter, insufferable tedium). It’s a game of solid highs but frequent lows, and the ratio of those things is a rather askew for my own tastes.

Are the design issues you talk about in RDR2 to do with the slow starting pace? I had no issue with it, I think the single player is a masterpiece myself. Best character development I've seen since last of us. I was pretty indifferent to Arthur Morgan at the start, even thought he was a bit annoying but as it went on I felt so attached to him. That was down to excellent writing.

Haven't finished ff7 remake yet, and yeah it's not open world gta:Midgar or anything so it's not really fair comparing them. But I'd still choose Red Dead.

Don't worry, in chapter 17 they introduce a mechanic where you don't pull the lever yourself, but press a button while you watch an awkward animation that forces you to stand and watch as a party member pull levers for you instead...many, many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I had to take a break from this the last few nights. Played until late then when I went to save my game manually I accidently chose Load Last Checkpoint because I was so tired.

;_;

fixXxer wrote: »
    I had to take a break from this the last few nights. Played until late then when I went to save my game manually I accidently chose Load Last Checkpoint because I was so tired.

;_;

Ouch, how much progress did you lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Most of Chapter 9. Sure, will be grand with the knowledge I've gained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

endainoz wrote: »
    Are the design issues you talk about in RDR2 to do with the slow starting pace?

My issues with RDR2 run far deeper than the starting pace, but I’m not going to drag this FF7 off-topic because I could go on a while :p

But yeah to me they’re just two games which have a tendency to waste the players’ time in ways I find frustrating and unnecessary. I think this does more right and it’s decent overall. But I’m finding it hard to muster up the enthusiasm for digging deeper when there’s likely another big, over-stretched dungeon on the horizon (although I have to share a TV at the moment which doesn’t help ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Had my first game over last night, doing a side quest of all things :P

Guess I need to start taking all the battle mechanics seriously, I think not locking on at the start of each battle is hurting me.

Also, first world problem but the lip sync for Aerith at the start seems very off?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Very early into this , on chap 3 did the sidequest with the cats. Enjoying it so far , one minor gripe is that it's seem a bit too anime-ish .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

My issues with RDR2 run far deeper than the starting pace, but I’m not going to drag this FF7 off-topic because I could go on a while :p

But yeah to me they’re just two games which have a tendency to waste the players’ time in ways I find frustrating and unnecessary. I think this does more right and it’s decent overall. But I’m finding it hard to muster up the enthusiasm for digging deeper when there’s likely another big, over-stretched dungeon on the horizon (although I have to share a TV at the moment which doesn’t help ;)).

Hate to say it but I kinda agree with your assessment of the remake, found it a bit hard to get motivated to play it more. Though I'm just finished it for the night and have played through a good bit of wall market. First time in a few days I had gone near it. Right now it's hovering around an 8/10 for me. It's possible I got a bit burnt our on the hype! But overall I'm enjoying it for sure.

However your not allowed to hate of RDR2, sorry I don't make the rules. ;)

• Advertisement

Hell House on hard spits out 3 tonberry's at a time every so often so yeah, great fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

endainoz wrote: »
    However your not allowed to hate of RDR2, sorry I don't make the rules. ;)

RDR2 is total garbage and just like MGS4 and Fallout 4 history won't be kind to it once the hype wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

I’m on chapter 9 - gameclock about 18 hours just completed the honey bee in. 2:30am again

Palmer chasing the honeybee around the room with a butterfly net ... cracker

Finished this last night. I like what they are trying to do with this, makes me excited to see where they take the next instalment.

But holy **** was it handled horribly. The writing went from solid throughout, into horrible, amateurish fan fiction territory. Its almost like an entirely new team of writers was responsible for the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

https://youtu.be/jsuolxcp07Q

A modded save that allows you to play as red with limited functionality

Epic win against Hellhouse on Hard just there. The Bollox spit out a sweeper and a cutter with about 25% health left and battle became fairly chaotic. I was running low on MP and health so decided to use Pray. Mid cast, both me and cloud get hit, killing him, cancelling Pray and losing my ATB. Low health, low Mp, low ATB with 2 mechs coming for me and Hellhouse up on the wall doing his shake which means he's about to dive on me doing 3k+ damage. I said I'd go out swinging and started hammering attack. I never realised how low his health was when it came up that he was defeated. I was seconds from death. That was ****ing satisfying!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

My copy just arrived in the post a few days ago and I have not started it yet.

Is the very low quality textures in some are fixed yet or should I wait a bit longer to start playing and this issue is patched?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I have one question. Why does everyone fanboy like hell over the cross-dressing segment? Why was that such a big deal in the lead up to this game's release? I'm only thinking this in retrospect, as it happens to be one of my least-favourite aspects of the original game, and the chapter that involves it in the remake was my least favourite chapter.
    It dragged on for so long, like just get to the point. Why did we have to have a whole chapter dedicated to Cloud eventually dressing up as a girl? It even had its own dragged-out trophy, where you were encouraged to obtain every single dress for all three characters involved, which involved replaying the chapter multiple times to do things differently in order to obtain said dresses. This was a horrible chapter to play. It was drawn-out, outstayed its welcome, and would've been much better if it was trimmed down to "Welcome to Wall Market > Go to Corneo's place > Cloud can't get into Corneo's place unless he is a girl > go to location to change appearance > get dress > return to Corneo's place

I had to get that off my chest. Carry on. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I have one question. Why does everyone fanboy like hell over the cross-dressing segment? Why was that such a big deal in the lead up to this game's release? I'm only thinking this in retrospect, as it happens to be one of my least-favourite aspects of the original game, and the chapter that involves it in the remake was my least favourite chapter. [/SPOILER]

I had to get that off my chest. Carry on. :pac:

If I remember correctly back in the 90s many Japanese games included a cross dressing character. This would usually be removed for the western version of the story as it was considered a very taboo subject. FF7 was on of the few games at the time to leave the cross dressing element of the story in untouched.

Obviously over 20 years on such a topic is not considered taboo in any way.

Advertisement