Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Did you beat him on pro mode?

Nope.

It’s much worse than the squat mode as the inputs are two random patterns for pull-ups where in squats it was set patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

It's all your fault that I've just splashed out on a PS4 and this game from reading all this damn nostalgia :D . Being delivered in a few days(at least I hope). It was a very hard sell at home I can tell you.

I thought my fix would be quenched by buying FF8 Remastered... but I finished that yesterday with all the side quests. I had held off getting a PS4 even when I wanted to get it for RE2, instead I just got it on the laptop and loved it. I wasn't waiting a year or so for a PC version of FF7 so just went mad last night. I also got Nioh 2 with the console for free... it any good?(sorry for the slight derail question :))

Pull up game sucks!

#gitgud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Kunkka wrote: »
    It's all your fault that I've just splashed out on a PS4 and this game from reading all this damn nostalgia :D . Being delivered in a few days(at least I hope). It was a very hard sell at home I can tell you.

I thought my fix would be quenched by buying FF8 Remastered... but I finished that yesterday with all the side quests. I had held off getting a PS4 even when I wanted to get it for RE2, instead I just got it on the laptop and loved it. I wasn't waiting a year or so for a PC version of FF7 so just went mad last night. I also got Nioh 2 with the console for free... it any good?(sorry for the slight derail question :))

If nostalgia hits you hard, you're gonna have a good time :)

Can't comment on Nioh much, I've too little time to be spending on games where I die every few seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Yup it’s super hard for pro mode. I turned off the music/voice in the sound settings and makes it slightly easier to concentrate but still nearly throwing the controller into the tv levels of rage.

I found it helped me to cover the left part of the screen so I wasn't seeing the other guy and letting his rhythm put me off. I had my feet up on the couch so I just used my knee to block my view of that side of the screen :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Pullups is a Bollox. My first attempt at pro, he beat me by 6. Another few attempts, i had made early mistakes that wrecked my chances. Wish the restart of the minigame was a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I found it helped me to cover the left part of the screen so I wasn't seeing the other guy and letting his rhythm put me off. I had my feet up on the couch so I just used my knee to block my view of that side of the screen :pac::pac:

This reminds me of the Gran Turismo licence trials from the PS1. Some of them were to get around the track in a certain time but put a wheel off track and it was a fail. It wasn't Dead Souls hard but it was tricky enough. The pressure coming up to a late corner knowing you were bang on the money was horrendous.
    In the end I had to hang a tea towel over the corner of the tv so I couldn't see the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

For the pull up if you dont get at least 20 in the first round dont bother with 2nd round as he always gets 40 plus.

Also if you fall just give up and rest your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    For the pull up if you dont get at least 20 in the first round dont bother with 2nd round as he always gets 40 plus.

Also if you fall just give up and rest your fingers.

Yeah, he usually gets 42-44 pull ups done.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Just watched the credits roll for the first time. Those final moments were alot to take in and I am not sure I can express myself well enough to give my final thoughts but I will do my best . Overall I really really loved this game . When it was first announced at E3 5 years ago the only thing I wanted for the remake was to be bold and not be directly like The playstation 1 game and more importantly I wanted the game to be fun.

Square Enix have gotten alot of stick to the way Final Fantasy was being treated over the years. The extremely poor Launch with FF14 and the bumpy start with FF15 which to this day remains the most polarizing FF game in recent memory . It seems the writing was on the wall for Square , but in alot of ways they have done an amazing job handling FF7.

The moment the game shines best was when the characters were simply talking to each other. These are the most down to earth FF characters I have ever seen where you could feel the emotions in their voice and see the expressions that was geniuenly gripping throughout the entire game.

Combat is extremely engaging which felt like a revamp of FF13 combat system but while not perfect it was the perfect way to keep modern players and fans of the original both happy at the same time . I think in sequel they really need to expand on aerial combat which I felt was never fully completed . adding chain abilities while in air would of fixed any minor setbacks imo.

My biggest complaint that stops the game from being a 10 is the level design . The game being linear was never the issue for me having having already experienced and enjoyed FF13 but just how bland the envoirments started to look each new section you entered. it started to feel all copied and paste in the end but I hope for the sequels , Square will grow confidence and expand the game even more.

Overall the game for me is a strong 9/10 .

• Advertisement

Sat down for a night of pullups and beat Jules on my 3rd try 46-44, feel like i beat the end boss. Now to finish hard mode, 2 secret bosses and last enemy skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That Behemoth boss is no joke.

I'm running way behind everyone but just to let everyone know, it took me 20 mins to beat Jules in squats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

fixXxer wrote: »
    That Behemoth boss is no joke.

Hes a pain in the ass, i basically had to whittle down the upper and lower body at the same time or he just rejuvinated.

Hard mode is no Joke.
    Not looking forward to Bahamut

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

I platinumed this earlier today. First game I have gotten a platinum in too.

92 hours total play time. Definitely think I got my money's worth with this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-remakes-finale-was-wasted-on-a-newcom-1843163639

Review from someone who hasn't played the original.
    Kind of captured my own feelings, there's little context given to so many aspects of the game.

I'm seeing people recommending normal mode to get the best experience? Should get my first proper crack at this later.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I'm seeing people recommending normal mode to get the best experience? Should get my first proper crack at this later.

Easy is way too easy. Battles are nothing more than button mashers. I used it to go back and pick up trophies quickly. Definitely recommend normal. If you end up liking/loving the game, i recommend hard mode playthrough then. It's just about manageable but only because of my end game equipment. I can see why they didn't unlock that difficulty from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Wasn't sure what to play after this and ended up jumping into the original. I tried a couple of months ago to play on PC with the fan made translation but it wouldn't work, even without any of the mods and patches the base game downloaded from steam just wouldn't run on my PC so gave up. This time I played the version available on PSN on PS4.

Having got to the end of Midgar, the original is just a far superior game in my opinion. It was a breath of fresh air getting through the likes of the Sewer and Collapsed Highway in one or two screens. The tactical turn based battles are much more fun than the chaotic twitchy ones in the new game. The dialog is often pretty poor, thanks to the bad translation, but the characters' personalities still come through and the fact that you don't have to spend three hours trawling through a mind numbing dungeon in between every key story beat is a huge huge advantage.

Wall Market was far less interesting than the new game, and Biggs, Wedge and Jessie were far less well developed. But they're pretty much the only exceptions, aside from the obvious advances in technology.

As for the end game,
    the final Midgar scenes in the original really stand up very well, as the character's motivations are clear and they resolve to set out into the world to stop Sephiroth, who Cloud assures the others is even more of a threat to the planet than Shinra, after the shocking events in the Shinra building.

Compared to the madness of the new game's ending it was far superior. Of course it didn't have to finish on a crescendo is at was really just the end of the prologue in the original, but that's a choice Square made in limiting the new game to Midgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

quokula wrote: »
    Wasn't sure what to play after this and ended up jumping into the original. I tried a couple of months ago to play on PC with the fan made translation but it wouldn't work, even without any of the mods and patches the base game downloaded from steam just wouldn't run on my PC so gave up. This time I played the version available on PSN on PS4.

Having got to the end of Midgar, the original is just a far superior game in my opinion. It was a breath of fresh air getting through the likes of the Sewer and Collapsed Highway in one or two screens. The tactical turn based battles are much more fun than the chaotic twitchy ones in the new game. The dialog is often pretty poor, thanks to the bad translation, but the characters' personalities still come through and the fact that you don't have to spend three hours trawling through a mind numbing dungeon in between every key story beat is a huge huge advantage.

Wall Market was far less interesting than the new game, and Biggs, Wedge and Jessie were far less well developed. But they're pretty much the only exceptions, aside from the obvious advances in technology.

As for the end game,
    the final Midgar scenes in the original really stand up very well, as the character's motivations are clear and they resolve to set out into the world to stop Sephiroth, who Cloud assures the others is even more of a threat to the planet than Shinra, after the shocking events in the Shinra building.

Compared to the madness of the new game's ending it was far superior. Of course it didn't have to finish on a crescendo is at was really just the end of the prologue in the original, but that's a choice Square made in limiting the new game to Midgar.

I'm definitely going to jump into the original after I eventually finish the Remake. I haven't played the remake for about a week now, partly because my arm is sore from playing too much (giggity) and partly because the game didn't suck me in and make me want to finish it off. I'm right at the end too,
    chapter 17.

I agree with all of your points above, especially about the combat. I'm always a big fan of 2D and turn-based games so I have bias towards them, but I actually think this game could have been done with turn-based gameplay to some degree. Classic mode is completely useless because the difficulty is locked to Easy and you are still free to move and attack with your character. It would be much better if you can up the difficultly to Normal or Hard and still play classic. Then lock your characters movement / attacks (Let the AI handle it) and also show the enemies ATB guage. You shouldn't also need to switch to each character to build their ATB, it should build the same way it did in the original. This would make the game much easier however, so there would need to be some balance done to prevent that.

There are some other issues with the combat that makes it's style much more frustrating compared to turn-based, especially when coupled with the camera (even when zoomed out to max). I've been stun locked while not even being able to see my controlled character because the camera was literally above him and pointing straight out due to being too close to a wall.

The last thing I want to moan about is the graphics. I've never seen a game look so good and so bad simultaneously.
    I took this screenshot:

https://imgur.com/a/rhck22j

Everything bar the characters looks terrible, really terrible.

Even in places where it's mostly stunning - like the
    Shinra HQ
    there is this weird reflection fuzz that moves on it's own even when standing still. Just makes the game look broken. Also that area was one of my favorites in the old game, but I think they've skimped on it in the remake.

I'm still looking forward to the next chapter though, I just hope there are many improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just finished it, loved it, has some issues with padding in a few chapter alright, and side missions where meh. Absolutely loved the characters and expanding on their lore etc. but that ending has me WTFing haha.
    So the whispers where trying to keep everything on the same track as ff7 original but sephiroth is from a different timeline/dimension or something??? and is trying to change what happened in the original. The team then beat fate and the whispers and travel to another dimension where zack is still alive? dont really understand why they have added all this stuff when the original had enough twists and turns and was interesting enough to change it completely. Is zack now alive, will Aerith now die? Are Biggs and the gang all alive? So confusing. Also what where the half dead monk guys that sephiroth was "possessing"? clones or sephiroths from different dimensions?

All in all, i loved it with its faults but the ending has me uncertain of where they are going with this, and how faithful it is to the original.

just one final thought:
    if characters like Zack, Aerith, Sephiroth, Jessie, Biggs etc. didnt have what happened to them done or do what they did in the original they wouldnt be as interesting of characters, why mess with that

I love this game.

Only get to play it properly in the morning for 2 hours before work while everyone is asleep :) , just at the end of chapter 3 now on normal mode. I really like how the battle and materia system have so many similarities to the original.

I normally play games on the PC and its rare a single player console game pulls me in but this really has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What I’ve found interesting is how much I prefer the fights against human characters - to me that’s where the combat really shines. Mix of a couple of factors: think they’re far less visually busy for one, and also that (so far anyway - I’m still relatively early) you usually don’t have a full party for them. They’re fights where IMO you can consider every move the enemy is making clearly, and consider your reaction equally clearly. Some of the bigger fights are cool (the robot in the Angel of Midgard side quest, for example) but there’s a purity to the more duel-like fights where the combat system really shines as a turn-based / real-time hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Tbh I've the opposite opinion, those human type fights are a bit boring cause you can win them all it seems with Punisher mode.

I think the game excels more at the big, complicated set piece fights which have weird gimmicks, like Air Buster. The options for one-on-one just aren't sophisticated enough here for the combat engine to flex, it ain't Sekiro or DMC.

One of my favourite battles so far was the one at the top of the pillar, I'd say you'll enjoy that one johnny_ulimate

Just messing around with quests on Chapter 14, had no idea there was a decision based scene like the gold saucer in Aerith's garden, until I saw a blurb of translated text from the recently released ultimania? so the scene I got with Tifa was only one option!

Been doing the quests and I have to say they don't seem that bad at all as fluff? Almost all have a satisfying battle as a result and some nice additions to the lore. The Colosseum for example is very satisfying to do!

Should be starting my tower ascent tonight! whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I Loved it so much I bought the original on the PSN store and have absolutely belted into that the last few days

On chapter 17 of hard mode, 2 trophies left, finish hard mode and beat the secret boss.

Had 1 lash off the boss last night..
    5 rounds of Shiva, Fat Chocobo, Leviathan, Bahamut who summons Ifrit and then the secret boss. Got to Bahamut and for wrecked by the 2nd megaflare. Didn't make it to secret boss.

Tough fight, gonna switch up my tactics tonight. Anyone looking for a challenging fight, that's it!

Secret boss done, exhausting 30 minutes but with it for the accessory you get
    start every battle with a full limit bar and then it fills much faster at that.
    . Definitely making The Drum more bearable.

Platinum in the bag at 79 hours game time. Absolutely loved it, roll on part 2.

• Advertisement

33 hours in and on chapter 14 still :D I've a feeling you're gonna be more effecient than me :D

Advertisement