Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RedXIV wrote: »
    33 hours in and on chapter 14 still :D I've a feeling you're gonna be more effecient than me :D

I've somewhat similar time and location, I'm debating whether or not to continue or keep trying to get the pull up trophy. I've everything else done. I don't see myself doing a second full play through but who knows :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Got finished with
    Pride and Joy, Bahamut and ifirit was an absolute nightmare until i realised i could link elemental and fire to my armour and absorb all Ifirits attacks, was a damn sight easier after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

On chapter 8 now and loving it, best game I've played since Zelda BOTW. They've done a great job of making a deep combat system easy to get use to and so far the expansions to the story make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

just finished it, loved it, has some issues with padding in a few chapter alright, and side missions where meh. Absolutely loved the characters and expanding on their lore etc. but that ending has me WTFing haha.
    So the whispers where trying to keep everything on the same track as ff7 original but sephiroth is from a different timeline/dimension or something??? and is trying to change what happened in the original. The team then beat fate and the whispers and travel to another dimension where zack is still alive? dont really understand why they have added all this stuff when the original had enough twists and turns and was interesting enough to change it completely. Is zack now alive, will Aerith now die? Are Biggs and the gang all alive? So confusing. Also what where the half dead monk guys that sephiroth was "possessing"? clones or sephiroths from different dimensions?

All in all, i loved it with its faults but the ending has me uncertain of where they are going with this, and how faithful it is to the original.

just one final thought:
    if characters like Zack, Aerith, Sephiroth, Jessie, Biggs etc. didnt have what happened to them done or do what they did in the original they wouldnt be as interesting of characters, why mess with that
    half dead monk guys are those crawling towards a reunion from the original though they only come along much later in the original. Remember they all just say a number and they have them tattooed on them here.
    No idea about Jessie Biggs and Wedge. Presuming Zack is still dead. Aerith was just seeing a vision from the past right before he died and Cloud took the buster sword.

I dislike the hey this guy is dead, no he isn't trope. Bugs the hell out of me. Felt it stronger to leave avalanche dead after fleshing out the characters so much. Don't think Sephiroth was from an alternate dimension, they just went to a weird place for destiny.

Maybe it is me but I preferred the corridor of blood and seeing the trail of death left by Sephiroth as opposed to the jeniva gunk.

I loved it. Not the original but nothing ever will be to me. It really brought the reality of living under the plate to life. People debating about the terrorist attacks and suffering for it. Disagreed with some story changes mentioned above. Hojo was brilliantly animated. I liked the decision to limit it as it was bale to bring a lot more to life. From running in the plate to the train graveyard.

Side quests were fun. Just finished but no where near 100% so that will have to change. Garbage at some of the mini games so that might be tricky. Need a break first though. Still a lot they can mess up. Let's see where they go from here.

Im one trophy away from my first ever platinum, but its the bloody dresses one. Anyone know if you need to complete chapter 9 for the game to register the dress being worn by Aerith?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Vicxas wrote: »
    Im one trophy away from my first ever platinum, but its the bloody dresses one. Anyone know if you need to complete chapter 9 for the game to register the dress being worn by Aerith?

Yes need to complete chapter 3,8 and 9. I used this guide.
    https://www.powerpyx.com/final-fantasy-7-vii-remake-how-to-get-all-dresses-bridal-outfits/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm playing on hard and the Chapter 11 boss. I'm unable to steal Aerith's weapon, it says Nothing to steal. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I'm playing on hard and the Chapter 11 boss. I'm unable to steal Aerith's weapon, it says Nothing to steal. Any ideas?

Have you already stolen it on your first playthrough? If you have it won't have it as it is already in your inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Also, it's the 2nd boss who has her weapon, the guy on the chariot thing, not the first boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Turns out I already had it.

Back to sleep I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ok so I finally finished it last night (Chapter 17 & 18 all in one sitting till about 3.30am). Looking forward to doing a bit more exploring now in the chapter select but first! Some spoilers!
    The artbitors of fate or whatever they are, are as confusing as hell concept to introduce as a completely new element of the plot of an existing game. Everything after the motorway boss felt very out of place (perhaps due to expecting it to align with the original) and it got very "Kingdom hearts"-y very fast. I didn't cop the multiple universes/timelines thing at all, I just thought they were trying to shoe in as much fan service as possible, it wasn't until I started reading comments here that any of it entered my mind. While I've always liked Zack and it's nice to see him, it felt a bit unnecessary.

Similary with finding out Biggs and Wedge (maybe Jessie?) didn't die in the plate, or maybe that's another universe or whatever. That impact was always significant in the original and the additional investment in this game could have been an even greater loss but it feels like a cop out to have them back.

IN SAYING THAT! I nearly crapped myself when Barret got stabbed and was frantic for a few mins at the thoughts of losing him early on (even though I saw him in the motorway chase in the third trailer :rolleyes:)

I liked Red the character, I love his interactions with Barret and I'm looking forward to using him but all I'll remember is how slow he was to run across gates in the drum in chapter 17.

Also thought Aerith went very quickly from flirty optimistic to intergalatic mystic very very quickly and threw me off a bit.

While I liked the ACTION of the end of chapter 18, I think the combination of "big mega black monster" and advent children style sephiroth fight were a bit too bombastic for the end of the game, I'd honestly have been happy with a pan of the terrain outside Midgar.

A lot of that reads as a moan, but overall I really enjoyed the game. The combat is great, the soundtrack is fantastic, I love the expansion of the original lore (not all the new additions as mentioned above) and I'm very happy to jump into it again to go trophy hunting. Boss fights are definitely a huge plus for this game, and it's a good game for completionists, not needing days of effort to get everything. I'll be interested to see how the next few games pan out.

But definitely some questions about the ending.....

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ok so I finally finished it last night (Chapter 17 & 18 all in one sitting till about 3.30am). Looking forward to doing a bit more exploring now in the chapter select but first! Some spoilers!
    The artbitors of fate or whatever they are, are as confusing as hell concept to introduce as a completely new element of the plot of an existing game. Everything after the motorway boss felt very out of place (perhaps due to expecting it to align with the original) and it got very "Kingdom hearts"-y very fast. I didn't cop the multiple universes/timelines thing at all, I just thought they were trying to shoe in as much fan service as possible, it wasn't until I started reading comments here that any of it entered my mind. While I've always liked Zack and it's nice to see him, it felt a bit unnecessary.

Similary with finding out Biggs and Wedge (maybe Jessie?) didn't die in the plate, or maybe that's another universe or whatever. That impact was always significant in the original and the additional investment in this game could have been an even greater loss but it feels like a cop out to have them back.

IN SAYING THAT! I nearly crapped myself when Barret got stabbed and was frantic for a few mins at the thoughts of losing him early on (even though I saw him in the motorway chase in the third trailer :rolleyes:)

I liked Red the character, I love his interactions with Barret and I'm looking forward to using him but all I'll remember is how slow he was to run across gates in the drum in chapter 17.

Also thought Aerith went very quickly from flirty optimistic to intergalatic mystic very very quickly and threw me off a bit.

While I liked the ACTION of the end of chapter 18, I think the combination of "big mega black monster" and advent children style sephiroth fight were a bit too bombastic for the end of the game, I'd honestly have been happy with a pan of the terrain outside Midgar.

A lot of that reads as a moan, but overall I really enjoyed the game. The combat is great, the soundtrack is fantastic, I love the expansion of the original lore (not all the new additions as mentioned above) and I'm very happy to jump into it again to go trophy hunting. Boss fights are definitely a huge plus for this game, and it's a good game for completionists, not needing days of effort to get everything. I'll be interested to see how the next few games pan out.

But definitely some questions about the ending.....
    Wedge still dies. He gets thrown out a window in the Shinra Building by the wraiths

Wedge still dies. He gets thrown out a window in the Shinra Building by the wraiths

oh yeah I saw that but then I thought,
    the guy survived bullets, being thrown off a pillar support tower, having a plate dropped on him before showing his face again, at this point he may be more robust that Barret with steelskin
    :D

I wonder if they left a lot vague so they could play to the fans reaction.
    I see why they had to put something in. I felt coming up to it that the run from midgar was a rather unsatisfying ending. It needed a final boss. I get why they put something in but they like me seemed not sure exactly what fit there. I think they could have built up a specific Shinra baddy more and had them blocking the pathway out. Strike a crippling blow to Shinra as the game ender by taking out a big piece. Interesting that they left the Shinra son obviously alive which wasn't the case in vii till advent children.

I don't see why destiny was against them either. They were tracking the original plot fairly well by themselves.

I noticed the enemies from the future had the same weapons as Cloud, Barrett and Tifa. Where they their future selves being like nope, we may have lost people but don't go back trying to mess up the fact that we beat sephiroth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Christy42 wrote: »
    I wonder if they left a lot vague so they could play to the fans reaction.
    I see why they had to put something in. I felt coming up to it that the run from midgar was a rather unsatisfying ending. It needed a final boss. I get why they put something in but they like me seemed not sure exactly what fit there. I think they could have built up a specific Shinra baddy more and had them blocking the pathway out. Strike a crippling blow to Shinra as the game ender by taking out a big piece. Interesting that they left the Shinra son obviously alive which wasn't the case in vii till advent children.

I don't see why destiny was against them either. They were tracking the original plot fairly well by themselves.

I noticed the enemies from the future had the same weapons as Cloud, Barrett and Tifa. Where they their future selves being like nope, we may have lost people but don't go back trying to mess up the fact that we beat sephiroth.
    I thought Roche would be the final boss but then he just seemed to kind of disappear. Unless I missed something

Having looked at a few guides for hard it seems to use all the material I ignored first time around!

Never tested the magnify material much nor needed to get into the parry or steadfast block. I also need to get a second piece of revive materia. Completing the chapter 1 boss with no way to revive Barrett was interesting to say the least. Trying to use every slot I can keep free to level up as much random materia as I can in case I need it later in the hard play through!

I also go for the treasure chests out of habit even if I know what is in them is unusable.

@ohhimark: yeah that was a possibility all right

Revive on everyone, cure on everyone, at least 2 HP Up on everyone, steadfast block on cloud ( i had it on Barrett as well), prayer on one or 2 and chakra for times you run of MP (i used prayer as my main heal, someone always topping up the groups heal, only use MP for bosses). Everyone's level 6 weapon unlocked which gives you reprieve, one insta revive per battle). Have your healer use magnify and cure to heal the whole group. Have cloud use elemental and attack magic ( switch it out for what you need, once you know enemy weaknesses) switch the combo to his armour for certain boss battles.

I used this and sailed through hard handy enough, some tough battles still.

Also, something i learned late game, some boss battles happen after a cutscene with a new party of players that you might not have prepared for. Hold square if it appears in bottom left corner of cutscene and as soon as it ends, you will be brought to the character screen before the boss battle stats, no need to quit back to the last battle like i did a few times.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Revive on everyone, cure on everyone, at least 2 HP Up on everyone, steadfast block on cloud ( i had it on Barrett as well), prayer on one or 2 and chakra for times you run of MP (i used prayer as my main heal, someone always topping up the groups heal, only use MP for bosses). Everyone's level 6 weapon unlocked which gives you reprieve, one insta revive per battle). Have your healer use magnify and cure to heal the whole group. Have cloud use elemental and attack magic ( switch it out for what you need, once you know enemy weaknesses) switch the combo to his armour for certain boss battles.

I used this and sailed through hard handy enough, some tough battles still.

Also, something i learned late game, some boss battles happen after a cutscene with a new party of players that you might not have prepared for. Hold square if it appears in bottom left corner of cutscene and as soon as it ends, you will be brought to the character screen before the boss battle stats, no need to quit back to the last battle like i did a few times.

Is it just leveling up that gives the weapon levels? Not at 6 yet but never did anything special to unlock more cores. Leveling up the 4th cure at the moment so I don't need to bother switching. Getting work done with ap_up as well to get the chakras usable.

Using magnify now. Just never really knew what it did. And I spent the full game wondering why I didn't have a cure all. Ah well would have made normal too easy.

Have to say speeding up grinding as soon as you reach hard mode was a smart feature to have in game. Makes it flow much nicer and I feel like I can still do some sections while leveling up.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is it just leveling up that gives the weapon levels? Not at 6 yet but never did anything special to unlock more cores. Leveling up the 4th cure at the moment so I don't need to bother switching. Getting work done with ap_up as well to get the chakras usable.

Using magnify now. Just never really knew what it did. And I spent the full game wondering why I didn't have a cure all. Ah well would have made normal too easy.

Have to say speeding up grinding as soon as you reach hard mode was a smart feature to have in game. Makes it flow much nicer and I feel like I can still do some sections while leveling up.

There are also manuals that give specific party members 10sp, you can get 3 each in normal and then you will get one for defeating each boss and clearing each side mission on hard mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Up to chapter 13 now. The whole Wall Market section in chapter 9 is easily the best part of the game so far. Embraces the wild and silly aspects of FF7 that I feared weren’t going to be present. It has that special Sauce (capitalised on purpose ;)). Also, the sheer enthusiasm of Aerith’s and Tifa’s immediate friendship is a delight.

As is always the way in this unholy mess of a game, subsequent chapters do their best to undo the goodwill generated elsewhere. This game has a serious, near-fatal pacing problem. Chapter 12 should have been 20 mins long to be perfectly frank, but is instead three or four times that. It ratchets up the tension but then insists on keeping it going for an hour and a half - quickly gets exhausting, and all the nonsense filler just makes you wish the game would hurry the hell up. Always a relief when there’s a boss fight to break up the flow of things. The level design remains painfully awful, but the cutscenes are far too long on top of that.

Been a while since I’ve played a game that shines so brightly when it’s good, but has so many baffling and misguided design decisions that it consistently undermines itself.

• Advertisement

It's like popcorn though isn't it? Just keep going back for more even if you're not sure why? :D

Looking forward to starting the grind going now and playing around with materia a bit. I've always enjoyed the mental combinations you could put in with chaotic results from the original, so glad to see some of that exists here. There were so many materia orbs that it felt hard to give many their due but I'm sure I'll get a chance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

I need to get back into this and finish it. This whole thread is like a classified CIA document.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Finished this last night.

Love the ending

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

endainoz wrote: »
    I need to get back into this and finish it. This whole thread is like a classified CIA document.

The only time you ever see stuff redacted is national security issues and videogame spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Apologies for the long post in advance!

I finished the game yesterday and really enjoyed it, all told. I've been a massive fan since the 1997 original.

The setting of the game is so apt for today. I mean, you have themes of environmentalism with Avalanche, the monopoly of corporate Shinra against the people of the slums, even the way
    Shinra were manipulating Avalanche to further their aims with Wutai was fascinating.

Some of the changes they have made like making materia that little bit harder to equip and less gil and items floating about the place was good. I liked the Summon system also - I previously feared that it could be a bit iffy.

My favourite locations were
    Wall Street and the Shinra Building
    which was reimagined just beautifully. The cut-scenes were brilliant too.

A few things that irked me included the pacing of the game.
    The train graveyard in particular, sewers, underground lab and Hojo's lab was drawn out a little bit too much I think. Wedge and Biggs staying alive removed the effect of the destruction of the platform I think. I wanted Jessie to live damnit! The ending was fine, but I didn't particularly like Zack being involved.

Overall, an excellent game. 9/10. I can only hope the next game comes out in a shorter timeframe! Up to Cosmo Canyon maybe?

Got my first ever platinum trophy last night, what an absolute slog but i actually really enjoyed it. Even hard mode

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anybody any tips for beating
    Jules at the pro chin up thing.

Getting absolutely destroyed with it

Anybody any tips for beating
    Jules at the pro chin up thing.

Getting absolutely destroyed with it

Go to settings, turn off all music and voice, keep sounds up full. This way you'll only hear the bing when you got a button, makes it much easier to keep rythm. Also, don't look at Jules, cover his half of the screen if you can, makes it much easier to focus on tifa. What number are you averaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Go to settings, turn off all music and voice, keep sounds up full. This way you'll only hear the bing when you got a button, makes it much easier to keep rythm. Also, don't look at Jules, cover his half of the screen if you can, makes it much easier to focus on tifa. What number are you averaging?

Not great number wise, fall apart in the second half around the 30 mark, need to go to at least 45, seem to fall off on the second round consistently

• Advertisement

Not great number wise, fall apart in the second half around the 30 mark, need to go to at least 45, seem to fall off on the second round consistently

PaltryCautiousAtlanticsharpnosepuffer-small.gif

Advertisement