Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely using the FFXV engine anyway. Story and script look absolute pish. They've gone for that grim dark serious tone of Advent Children which was abhorrent in Advent Children. The real fun of FFVII is in all the weird silliness that happens in the game, it's actually surprisingly goofy and the self important, dark tone is something the fans seem to have projected on to the game when it was never there in the beginning.

Anyway the good stuff is that the game isn't a cheap spit and polish HD remake but a total remaster. The game really needed it since it's so flawed especially a new battle system. We'll always have the original and I doubt square enix in their current state could do it justice so a brand new re-imagining that is a totally different experience to the original is very welcome. If that battle system is fun I can look past the crappy dialogue and story.
    Alongside the emo dystopian sci-fi

After playing through the game recently it's actually not very emo at all (although I was playing the fan translation). The whole emo cloud thing seems to me like something the fans have again projected on the game. Clouds just kind of cocky, goes a bit weird and then accepts he wasn't who he said he was and gets on with sorting things out. There's very little emo moping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rgb.ie wrote: »
    Think it looks great .. Cloud is initially very cold at the start of the original, I thought they displayed that well with wedge talking to him.

I think that's only something that comes across because of how bad the translation is in the original. Going by the fan translation he's just very cocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I'm not a big gamer at all but FF7 was my favourite ever game and I can't wait for this remake :)

I always found the opening segment of the game very dark so when the trailer only shows the opening segment I don't know how you can say its too dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

I too am a bit confused about the game being "dark", wasn't this always the case?

There are several deaths witnessed throughout the game .. It bugs me how the gold saucer date and honey bee inn sections are often recited about ff7s quirky nature .. Hardly sets the tone for the rest of the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While the opening hour or so of FF7 is definitely among the least wacky of the game, the problem here is that this trailer isn't enough to dispel concerns about Tetsuya Nomura characteristic over-serious, angsty, trite and cheesy approach to art design and narrative. The art in particular is simply not interesting IMO - it's dull and lacks energy. Obviously far too early to know if that will continue throughout the game - there could well be a glorious revisit to the Gold Saucer, and who knows how different the finished product will look! And yes there will have to be serious moments amidst the silliness - that's what makes the original so memorable. But it's not the sort of early signal I would have liked about the project's direction.

I've always felt that the series has adopted an off-puttingly clunky, awkward tone ever since FFX (perhaps coincidentally the same time as the introduction of voice acting!), and that trailer continues the trend. The artful sense of fun of FFVII and IX is sorely missed, especially when you see how well something like the Persona games manage it.

It's a difficult balance when it comes to remakes in any medium: too similar and the exercise is redundant, too different and you'd probably have been better off making something else entirely rather than draw associations with a sacred cow. Certainly it's nice to see they're mixing up the battle system a bit (although I remain a loyal fan of traditional 'ATB'), but the key to success here I think will be emulating - but not necessarily directly copying - the deep rooted tonal eccentricities that have allowed FF7 stand the test of time despite other less well aged elements.

• Advertisement

Rgb.ie wrote: »
    I too am a bit confused about the game being "dark", wasn't this always the case?

There are several deaths witnessed throughout the game .. It bugs me how the gold saucer date and honey bee inn sections are often recited about ff7s quirky nature .. Hardly sets the tone for the rest of the game

No, the game isn't really that dark at all. It's rather goofy and it's got this very janky awkward feel to it, like it's taken a half step towards being a more modern RPG with a lot of adult humour but can't shake off some of the 16 bit silliness. It's a weird transitional game and due to that it's kind of unique. I think a lot of fans try to read into it too much but having only very recently played the fan translation there's only a few serious moments, the rest of the game you can tell the developers are having a lot of fun with the characters and setting, particularly the Turks. It's not just the honeybee manor and golden saucer date either, there's loads of those moments. In the fan translation any visit to Junon is hilarious comedy gold, for instance.

Anyway trying too hard to be dark and edgy gets boring and stupid fast. All those moments of levity, silliness and fun that break up FF7 are what makes the game what it is and keep it well paced despite the countless flaws that really should have dragged it down. As a result its very much a lot better than the sum of its parts.
    (although I remain a loyal fan of traditional 'ATB')

I always hated ATB. It only ever worked in FF4 where time based spells were very important to success and that's where ATB debuted but after that it's really added nothing to the battle system that couldn't be done with turn based. The return to turn based in FFX was much better especially now you could affect turn order and I find ATB severely lacking compared to the best turn based systems. Compared to turn based stuff it's actually far slower and drags out fights needlessly. Stuff like Grandia, Etrian Odyssey or the SMT really show up ATB with their battle systems.

Square seem to have cottoned on that abilities that can affect turn order make battles a lot more interesting so I'd be interested in seeing if they include something like that like Xenoblade does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Had a look at the trailer and while I absolutely love ff 7 this is going to be muck.

The reason ff 7 was amazing was because of all the stupid stuff you could do. Like how is Knights of the round going to work with this battle engine? How am I going to produce my gold chocobo. Never mind fighting weapon underwater for 30 mins. My eyes will bleed using this combat system.

Costa del sol and jenova are obviously going to look spectacular but they were cool already. Adding a 3d version was fine but I really hoped they kept the old combat system. I feel like the world map is going to feel less immersive now as well. Yeah ff7 had a linear story but I still had loads of places to discover in the high wind!

That said, square will have my money.

Edit: agree with poster above me, I'd be happy with the ffx turn based combat system either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I can only find the Final Fantasy VII port on the US store, not Europe - is it not out over here yet?

Edit: Never mind, got it with a Google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Was that battle boost thing in the steam release as well? Kinda seems like a massive cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

aaaaannnnddd I've just bought the PS4 port...

• Advertisement

Was that battle boost thing in the steam release as well? Kinda seems like a massive cheat.

It was but you don't have to use it.

Had a look at the trailer and while I absolutely love ff 7 this is going to be muck.

The reason ff 7 was amazing was because of all the stupid stuff you could do. Like how is Knights of the round going to work with this battle engine? How am I going to produce my gold chocobo. Never mind fighting weapon underwater for 30 mins. My eyes will bleed using this combat system.

Costa del sol and jenova are obviously going to look spectacular but they were cool already. Adding a 3d version was fine but I really hoped they kept the old combat system. I feel like the world map is going to feel less immersive now as well. Yeah ff7 had a linear story but I still had loads of places to discover in the high wind!

That said, square will have my money.

Edit: agree with poster above me, I'd be happy with the ffx turn based combat system either.

We'll always have the original, why not let them try something different and anyway FF7 was far from a perfect game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't know why everyone is assuming there won't be any of the goofy stuff that was in the original, after watching a 90 second trailer. They've obviously only shown the 1st area, and none of the goofy stuff happened there anyway.

It looks fantastic, and even with the faults the original had, i'm delighted this is coming out.

Also, getting the entire soundtrack updated should be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is assuming there won't be any of the goofy stuff that was in the original, after watching a 90 second trailer. They've obviously only shown the 1st area, and none of the goofy stuff happened there anyway.

It looks fantastic, and even with the faults the original had, i'm delighted this is coming out.

Also, getting the entire soundtrack updated should be fantastic.

I'm wondering this exact same thing.

I've seen a lot of people complaining that the trailer is too grim dark and they've clearly made it more edgy and emo like, when the entire trailer is clearly based on the opening of the game.

FF7 is personally my favourite game of all time, despite it's flaws, so I'm really looking forward to this, but also dreading a terrible remake of it.

If it doesn't come out for PC, this is the one game that would make me buy a PS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm wondering this exact same thing.

I've seen a lot of people complaining that the trailer is too grim dark and they've clearly made it more edgy and emo like, when the entire trailer is clearly based on the opening of the game.

FF7 is personally my favourite game of all time, despite it's flaws, so I'm really looking forward to this, but also dreading a terrible remake of it.

If it doesn't come out for PC, this is the one game that would make me buy a PS4.

To be fair, there's more to go on than just the trailer; I watched the trailer with material such as Advent Children in the back of my mind, and it has often felt like Square consciously jettisoned the lighter, goofier tone of the FF7 universe around then, in favour of the overwrought grim, emo drama of Cloud we see now. I don't expect the goofy, silly (and plain risqué really; it's hard to think some of the material would work these days) elements to be maintained to the same level. It's kinda harder to do as well when your game characters are 3d photo realistic glamour models; as opposed to the blockhead cartoon characters of the original game

As far as I can remember, the story of Cloud's angst was a sideshow really; certainly against the greater plot and events taking place within that world. Like Squall, Cloud is a miserable character, bettered by more interesting, colourful characters around him. Since the release, the mythology and tone has felt like it was refocused towards Cloud's ... well, angsty moping, sucking all the life out of Midgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If they re-did the music Distant Worlds style like the version they used for the trailer, it will be a massive reason for me to buy the new one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRVnvbqyX8

Remaking it exactly the same with just new graphics would never have worked right so I'm all for going for a combat system that seems to be a mash of Lightning Returns, Kingdom Hearts and FF XV.

I've already seen people giving out that Cloud's arms are too small. People are gonna nitpick it to death until it eventually comes out and everyone says "S'alright I suppose".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

An older article from Tetsuya indicating that our favourite cross-dressing Cloud will still be in the game. http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-7-director-says-please-look-forward-to-crossdressing-cloud-in-the-gritty-remake/

To be perfectly honest, I'm no fan of Tetsuya and as others have said, Advent Children was way too grim dark and the plot was pretty damn weak, it did however look astonishing.
    With that said, I'm fairly sure that Tetsuya and Square Enix know that removing the more fun aspects of the game would pretty much cripple it's sales.

As I said before, if they update the gameplay and keep the world and story the same, this will be a truly fantastic remake.

Man, being able to speed this game and get through the worst grindy bits really help Final Fantasy 7. I'm quite enjoying it.

I hope the battles are still turn based. Has there been any comment from the developers about this? I don't think you can be sure from that short clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I hope the battles are still turn based. Has there been any comment from the developers about this? I don't think you can be sure from that short clip.

Virtually nothing concrete so far on the mechanics.

rumors a plenty though! My favourite so far is hitman mechanics being integrated in for the shinra building segment. Completely fabricated but still hilarious to think of

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought it looked class anyway. The start of the game was always dark. The only thing that worried me was the combat until i realised it's still a turn based system so it looks like the old combat system with new animations that look like they're in an actual fight. I can't bloody wait for this!

Has it been confirmed as turn based?
    I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I hope so.

Nope, just my thought on it since you have to select an action. Hope it will be confirmed soon.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I hope so.

This exact clip doesn't look promising: https://youtu.be/M7hlrQVzrWY?t=74

Both characters are attacking at the same time and Barret's movement looks like he's being controlled.

I would absolutely hate an action-rpg.

Looks like crisis core. I love crisis core, so I would be on board with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Apparently the game will be released in episodes http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/586/final-fantasy-vii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience
    The new trailer features the first CG scenes as well as gameplay footage. FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

Makes me think the entire game won't be remade, disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Milking the cow I guess.

Final Fantasy: Deathly hallowed Mockingjay Hobbits part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

ShaneU wrote: »
    Apparently the game will be released in episodes http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/586/final-fantasy-vii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience

Makes me think the entire game won't be remade, disappointing.

So the quotes from the devs are that in order to remake the entire game they have to split it up because it's too big otherwise.

Time will tell. I'm probably not going to buy it until all the episodes are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So the quotes from the devs are that in order to remake the entire game they have to split it up because it's too big otherwise.

Time will tell. I'm probably not going to buy it until all the episodes are out.

Well it makes sense, the fans for this are so rabid if they don't see something soon they will just go nuts, episodic releases for a game this big makes sense to keep them on board

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Got this from GAF, on my phone so I'm not bothering with the link but it's there.

"Kitase: From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game. Althought it's impossible to tell you the details about the splitting at the moment, please wait for our further announcement.

Nomura: If we tried to stuff the whole game into one release, some part of the game would have to appear as digests. We'd have to remove some contents from the game, and it would be difficult to add more to the game. Considering that a full remake of the original game must be achived, we have decided to split the game into episodes.

Kitase: Taking the No.8 street shown in the video this time, even just this is already highly dense. If we are to remake the content of the original version at that quality, it would have been impossible to do with a single release.

Splitting the original version into episode with nothing dropped, as well as adding complements, and remaking the game the game in its full volume is what we are thinking."

• Advertisement

Advertisement