Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I'd like to see a mod that edits the story down.

Too much pointless dialog.

Cloud: I was Soldier, First Class

Tifa: You were in your hole.

The End!

*** mod likely built by an irish man if this is the new dialog

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This was my most played games last year at 105 hours. Back to back playthroughs and then some trophy cleanup for the platinum and loved every second (bar getting all the dresses, that was a bit of a balls.

I never felt the endless dungeon like sections as i found the combat so much fun and hard mode was a great challenge. Loved the character depth added, the graphics (except for the dodgy plate background), music, bosses and nuts ending. I'd love to play again if there was some dlc or some part of the game i didn't try. Would definitely play through again if it came to ps plus but i doubt it will.

Here's hoping we get even a whiff of ep 2 news soon but I've a feeling it's a long way off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hate to say it but so far this looks like a classic case of the old school fans raving about their favourite game whilst not considering how a newbie to the series would perceive it in isolation and in today's climate.

This is very different to Mafia remake, though: this is a totally different game to the original. The basic structure, aesthetics, characters and plot beats are there in remixed form... but this feels and plays radically differently. It’s hard to take it on its own terms as it is in a one-way dialogue with its predecessor all the time, but this is absolutely not the FF7 I played as a kid with fancier graphics. It’s an entirely different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

This is very different to Mafia remake, though: this is a totally different game to the original. The basic structure, aesthetics, characters and plot beats are there in remixed form... but this feels and plays radically differently. It’s hard to take it on its own terms as it is in a one-way dialogue with its predecessor all the time, but this is absolutely not the FF7 I played as a kid with fancier graphics. It’s an entirely different beast.

Let's be real, it's Kingdom Hearts: Final Fantasy 7

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I'm an old fan, the only thing I really liked about this game is the combat and some occasional story beats. I think having the original in 'rear view' just unfortunately highlights how much better paced that game was and particularly how it introduced Sephiroth into the story.

FFVII Remake is a really boring game where very little meaningful happens (because it is adapting about 5 hours from a 35-40 hour game) and for some reason the graphics are kind of ****e. But that combat system, wow they really nailed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And that's fine but if the only way this remake can be appreciated is when being constantly peaked at with the original in its rear view mirror then that's not really a good sign.

It’s indeed not a good sign, because the new game’s ****e (except for the fighting system) :p

I’d recommend giving the original game a go: while it has certainly aged over the years, it’s still a lively, energetic and pacy game where this is sluggish and overlong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As some one that triggers people on here by pointing out that FF7 isn't the greatest game of all time and has a myriad of flaws, I sincerely hope that playing the remake doesn't put you off the original game because it's a fantastic game and well worth playing. I recently played through it with the fan translation and thoroughly enjoyed it. The original game is so well paced and moves at such a fast clip that it's constantly interesting and keeps your attention. It basically gets through in 3 hours what the Remake stretches thin over 40.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As some one that triggers people on here by pointing out that FF7 isn't the greatest game of all time and has a myriad of flaws, I sincerely hope that playing the remake doesn't put you off the original game because it's a fantastic game and well worth playing. I recently played through it with the fan translation and thoroughly enjoyed it. The original game is so well paced and moves at such a fast clip that it's constantly interesting and keeps your attention. It basically gets through in 3 hours what the Remake stretches thin over 40.

12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Remake is beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I was loving Remake right until the end. That ending was complete garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

McFly85 wrote: »
    I was loving Remake right until the end. That ending was complete garbage.

Same ! Was just like what

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.gif

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

It's hard not to love Tifa, she's so adorable but, "we need to go before they wake up." I'm sorry, are we to believe we're somehow not killing all those guards we're slicing and dicing with our weapons, just putting them to sleep??? Don't make me laugh. :D

I have a quick question: I'm sure I recall the game saying that if you level up a materia to max you no longer have to equip it and that the power is yours forever. Is that correct?

Incorrect
    If you level an ability on a weapon its yours forever and you can then swap to another weapon. Materia you need to equip for their effects. When you max a materia out you get a copy of it starting from level 1.

btw I was surprised at how easy the darts game was but then that's probably because I know how to play darts. Got a nice little trophy for being top dog too and a materia reward for it. :)

yeah the darts is the warmup. its the pull ups you gotta watch for :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    yeah the darts is the warmup. its the pull ups you gotta watch for :D

Holy ****, me going on about loving every second but i forgot about the pull up trophy, the hardest boss fight in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Holy ****, me going on about loving every second but i forgot about the pull up trophy, the hardest boss fight in the game!

Christ the pull up one is KILLER!

Worse than that boss fight we wont talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tifa is fantastic, her combos are the best in game

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Question: I'm assuming you can't get max SP for all your weapons on the first playthrough, even with books?

Some of the books are only available in hard mode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With Kingdom Hearts going Epic Store timed exclusive I can see this being an exclusive there when it comes to PC around April.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With Kingdom Hearts going Epic Store timed exclusive I can see this being an exclusive there when it comes to PC around April.

First thing I thought of when I saw that news too.

Wonder how much Epic have poured into this launcher now. I've bought one game from them and have about 30 games in my library from them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OK, so can you max out a weapon's upgrades during hard mode then?

Yes but not until you complete every chapter and or certain Shinra combat simulator. And once you do there's very little game actually left.

I wouldn't bother wasting time on it specifically. Aim for getting Reprieve on all members but other than that just go wild.

Advertisement