Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Ff7 a true game I'll always remember and only the starting renake tonight, just beat the scorpion first go.

I've actually dodged this thread for months because didn't want anything spoiled.

I'll leave the major thoughts till I dive in more but 2 things...
    Really enjoying the combat side of it and,

The music is so bang on from the original and even better, its so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Dave0301

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Ff7 a true game I'll always remember and only the starting renake tonight, just beat the scorpion first go.

I've actually dodged this thread for months because didn't want anything spoiled.

I'll leave the major thoughts till I dive in more but 2 things...
    Really enjoying the combat side of it and,

The music is so bang on from the original and even better, its so good.

It is a great looking game and the music is very good. If you have nostalgic memories of the original, you will probably enjoy the rest of the game.

Definitely feels padded out in some areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

RedXIV wrote: »
    Agreed, there are plenty of places that just pad for the sake of padding.

There are definitely parts I think that help a lot of the game "growing" up. I like the mission to Jessie's house, I like the idea of walking through sector 8 after the explosion (but the ruin it with flashbacks straight away) and I personally like the idea of "hubs" like sector 7 slums and wall market. But the chapter where you're on the way to reactor 5 is the first point where you really feel they are making you work for this, and then Hojo's lab is ridiculous.

But Zero-Cool has the right idea, replaying on hard mode is much more fun because you spend more time on the fun part.

I'm still not a fan of the ending but I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying the debate between episodes happening while people try to decipher it. Reminds me of people trying to figure out what the hell was happening in season 1 of Lost :D

I am hoping that they left it vague so they could make future games based off of the crowd reaction.

I loved seeing people debating avalanche and whether they are good or a menace. A small touch but added a lot of realism to the game. As well as seeing the lower sections of the plate as well (even if that was a bit silly at times). Hard was definitely the most fun. Even if someone has no intention of getting achievements that is highly recommended.

The back story to the minor characters was great as well.

I agree parts dragged a decent bit though at the time I just didn't want the nostalgia to end so didn't mind too much. Not sure on replay ability. Will have to see in the future. I didn't quite 100%. Didn't manage the pull ups and the big nasty optional boss. Granted only tried it once. Failing the pull ups really sapped my motivation for that fight.

I have seen a few (not many) saying they wanted a flat remake which would have been bad. I don't buy games for the graphics and would have had no need to pay 60quid for a game I already own with better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

About 3 hours into this and the first section was great but now I'm in Midgar hunting rats and finding cats and it is sloowwwwww. The pop in is unreal too. Game looks good at first glance but try run through a street with more than 3 NPCs and it all falls apart. Music is awesome. Hoping it picks up again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I downloaded this the other day as it's one of the games included with PS+ but I gave up and uninstalled it after a few hours.
    Not my cup of tea at all. I didn't enjoy the combat system to be honest, but I'll admit that's probably just a case of preference given that so many people really seem to enjoy it.

I thought the world felt incredibly artificial though, it actually reminded me of sonic adventure in terms of interacting with NPC's on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

This is my first time playing a FF game. I like it, it's good, not great but for a free game I'm happy with it.

I need 300% stagger and to complete it in hard for platinum. Does anyone know do you have to start a new game in hard mode or can you do chapter select and choose hard mode to get the trophy?

micah537 wrote: »
    This is my first time playing a FF game. I like it, it's good, not great but for a free game I'm happy with it.

I need 300% stagger and to complete it in hard for platinum. Does anyone know do you have to start a new game in hard mode or can you do chapter select and choose hard mode to get the trophy?

Just pick Chapter 1 and play it on hard mode and you will play through the game linearly. You can do them in any order though and it will still count.

300% is easy to get with Tifa and using one of the fights in Chadley's VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Just pick Chapter 1 and play it on hard mode and you will play through the game linearly. You can do them in any order though and it will still count.

300% is easy to get with Tifa and using one of the fights in Chadley's VR.

300% easiest done on
    Fat Chocobo

Vicxas wrote: »
    300% easiest done on
    Fat Chocobo

It is indeed. I knew it was a fat something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

I guess this would be fantastic as a free game on ps plus if I hadn't bought it like most here last year. I agree with most of the reviews here too. Too much filler for the sake of filler. Hojos lab damn near broke me, I might go back through it to master the combat but to be honest I'm in no rush. It was impossible to no have high expectations for this, the original is many peoples favorite game of all time. It's certainly not bad, but it's not amazing either.

• Advertisement

Question for those who have the platinum or at least the dresses trophy: I know some dresses are affected by the amount of side quests you do. Do I need to replay side quests I already did in my first playthrough? For instance in chapter 3 I've already done all the side quests and selected 'sporty' for Tifa. Do I need to now redo all the side quests there and select 'exotic'?

ETA: Also, on chapter select is that little paper icon next to the music disc the manuscript icon?

Yes, I think that is the manuscript icon.

I would need to look it up to remember the dresses exactly, but the number of quests you do in the slums relate to the dress Tifa gets.

First play through I did all the quests to get that dress.
    Second play through I did a certain number but not all of them.
    Third play through I did no quests.

For Aerith, it depends on which quest lines you follow in Wall Market.

Optimal way would be to get one set on the 1st play through, a 2nd set on a hard play through and then use chapter select to tidy it up.

Hope that helps, but it has been a while since I've played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Yes, I think that is the manuscript icon.

I would need to look it up to remember the dresses exactly, but the number of quests you do in the slums relate to the dress Tifa gets.

First play through I did all the quests to get that dress.
    Second play through I did a certain number but not all of them.
    Third play through I did no quests.

For Aerith, it depends on which quest lines you follow in Wall Market.

Optimal way would be to get one set on the 1st play through, a 2nd set on a hard play through and then use chapter select to tidy it up.

Hope that helps, but it has been a while since I've played it.

For Tifa it depends on the answer you give after doing all side missions in sector 7. There is a default one if you don't do the sidequests so choose the other two to reduce the number of runs required.

For Aerith the number of sidequests completed in sector 5 are the trigger, none, half and all.

Clouds are triggered by completing the two different sidequest lines in Wall Market and not completing either.

Thanks, I've figured it out. One other question. I just did chapter 3 via mission select and it continued on to chapter 4 where I had to skip about 5 cut scenes in a row just to be able to get to the menu and seelct 'system'. The problem is my play log is not updating my stats;...it's the same as when I first compelted the game for the first time and I know i have 2 dresses for Tifa and 19/20 battle intel reports completed yet it says 1/3 for Tifa and 18/20 for battle intel. Is that normal?

It won't update until you get past Wall Garden and see the dresses.

Once done with chapter 3 you can skip to the sector 5 slums.

But what about the battle intel reports?

Iirc you need to do 1-19 to unlock number 20 and it doesn't unlock until near the end.

I mean the play log stats. I've already got number 20 but the problem is the play log is showing I've completed 18/20 when I know I've done 19/20.

Might want to check to see if there are any incomplete ones in your menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Is it cheap? In FFXIV we just call that an enrage, just means you've got to kill dragon butt more quickly :)

The main tip I'd have is just use lots of purple materia, in particular the one called 'ATB Assist'. Atb Assist gives a chunk of ATB gauge to other party members when the one with it equipped uses two ATB skills back to back (they can maybe be used 2 seconds apart or so, not sure of the exact timing)

It's good to have on Cloud cause he has a skill called Disorder which changes his stance into punisher and gives him back some ATB, Tifa can do the same with focus strike. That way you're constantly building ATB across the team as well as with other purple materias like ATB stagger, ATB guard, skillmaster etc. Use Barret's overcharge on cooldown if he has less than 2 ATB slots filled, Aerith's tempest also builds up ATB massively if it's fully charged but the enemy has to be stationary for it to work

Beating the VR stuff on hard is the hardest thing in the game so there's no real reason to do it to beat the main game.

I also don't think hard mode scales all that high anyway, once you level up a bit some of the boss fights actually end up being squishier for some reason. To the point you will regularly skip stagger gauges cause of it.

Pairing a green materia with an elemental materia is how I went about hard mode for the mobs, saving MP for boss fights.

If you know the main elemental weakness for enemies in the chapter it makes short work of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So is it recommended to start this on Hard whenever it comes to PC for an old school difficulty lover?

Hard mode isn't a hard mode as such, it is a 'play the game again with high level characters' mode.

Also it's so far from being like an old school game anyway, it's a genuinely forward looking idea for turn based battle systems imo (which some problems that hopefully the sequels fix). Got lots of problems with the complete package of FFVII Remake but they split the balance between action and turn based decision making in a really smart way which brings in ideas not just from the old game but also more fast paced action titles and even MMOs. Should have been a mess but wasn't (imo)

WRT difficulty I was disappointed to see the PS5 re-release doesn't have a super hard mode that actually demands fully maxed characters. When I went back I tried to beat some of the boss fights with unupgraded weapons and it feels much closer to what a truly 'hard' mode for ffvii remake should feel like. But I'd prefer the game provide that itself somewhere.

The PC version could be a good place to find a more balanced hard mode in the form of a mod which ends up more rewarding. The default main game lacks anything which rewards knowledge of mechanics I found

The final boss is pretty easy and disappointing I think. The game excels at these big scale almost raid style battles against giant behemoths but when it gets a bit too character action-ey it's a much more flakey combat system I find. Cause human characters are easier to read and punish (except Rufus who has the weirdest design for a boss fight I've seen, still don't really get that one tbh)

• Advertisement
Advertisement