Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So the quotes from the devs are that in order to remake the entire game they have to split it up because it's too big otherwise.

Time will tell. I'm probably not going to buy it until all the episodes are out.

Not going to be like any Tell tale game, we'll be lucky if it was 1 a year and still doing well if it was 1 every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Wow thats some epic jumping to conclusions considering there has been no official statement clarifying this.

Its very likely them just understanding people want content sooner rather than later so think the episodic option is a good way to do this.

You will likely buy the full game similar to tell tales stuff and then get updates every couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Not wild about the idea of episodic content but if it means I get to play some of it faster, happy days!

While I'm sure they are aware that they can milk people that little bit more for episodic content (and god knows there will be some ultimate collector's edition at the end) it does make me a little happier that they are not going to try and scrimp on content to make it fit in one disk etc.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Wow thats some epic jumping to conclusions considering there has been no official statement clarifying this.

Its very likely them just understanding people want content sooner rather than later so think the episodic option is a good way to do this.

You will likely buy the full game similar to tell tales stuff and then get updates every couple of months.

No it smells of milking the consumer for extra dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-07-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-episodic

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

"The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy 7 would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning," producer Yoshinori Kitase said. "We still can't share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements."

An episodic JRPG? That'll be an absolute disaster.

Leave Midgar and then wait five months to get to the overworld. Pay an extra €10 to unlock the snowboarding minigame. Don't want to spend all that time hunting the Knights of the Round materia? No problems, for €40 you can unlock it now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From the beginning, we have considered it impossible to remake FF7 into one single game.

Well, apart from that time they did it two decades ago :pac:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-07-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-episodic

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience."

"The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy 7 would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning," producer Yoshinori Kitase said. "We still can't share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements."

An episodic JRPG? That'll be an absolute disaster.

Leave Midgar and then wait five months to get to the overworld. Pay an extra €10 to unlock the snowboarding minigame. Don't want to spend all that time hunting the Knights of the Round materia? No problems, for €40 you can unlock it now!

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No it smells of milking the consumer for extra dosh

Still jumping to conclusions here. We have no idea how much it will cost. They've said nothing about micro transactions either.

And honestly if I can get Knights of the Round exactly where I'm supposed to get it then I really don't care if they do charge to get it early. It will have no impact on my enjoyment of the game (though I don't think they will do this).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Episodic worked for resident evil revelations 2 so no reason it won't work here. Square just aren't that confident that the remake will sell as well as a full new release so are being cautious.

The battle system looks a bit like a cross between crisis core and FF13-3. 13-3 was fantastic so I'm all for something similar.

Still jumping to conclusions here. We have no idea how much it will cost. They've said nothing about micro transactions either.

And honestly if I can get Knights of the Round exactly where I'm supposed to get it then I really don't care if they do charge to get it early. It will have no impact on my enjoyment of the game (though I don't think they will do this).

If one looks at Square Enix and the history over the last two years....micro-transactions are everywhere

They even sneaked them in for the latest Tomb Raider

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have no problem whatsoever with episodic releases. It has worked extremely well for the like of Dreamfall Chapters, Life is Strange and Kentucky Route Zero (even if we have been waiting more than a year for chapter four there ;)). It has definitive commercial benefits, and used capably can have artistic ones too. And sure you can always wait until the whole thing is out! Just on a personal level, I quite appreciate shorter, serialised storytelling with decent gaps, so it avoids the inevitable fatigue that comes with more 'epic' narratives.

That said, we've never seen the 'episode' structure used in a sprawling RPG before. Resi Revelations 2 is possibly the closest we've seen in terms of 'AAA' releases, but that was only a wait of a couple of days per episode. Hitman is obviously going to be the next big experiment - obviously a Square Enix thing! - but that is based around a number of clearly separated maps like the series has always offered, so I don't think that's going to be much of a handicap.

With this, though, a lot of care will be needed. One of the appeals of a great RPG - of which FF7 is one - is the sheer size of the world, that you constantly feel like you're making progress in (both geographically and indeed as a character). It's that slow but steady build from when you enter the world map, to that moment you get a boat, and when you finally take to the sky. There's a coherency and interconnectedness to it all. It's also the way your character continues to evolve. The sense of both vastness and meaningful progress is a pleasure unique to RPGs - and when you break up the game it's something you'd definitely need to seriously compensate for.

Still, there are obvious 'breaks' in the FF7 narrative - certainly the iconic end to disc one, and various other points throughout the game that are reasonably separated segments. However one can imagine the frustration if you hit a point when more of the gameworld is opening up to you and you have to wait until the next part is released (this assuming of course that a 'world map' or more open structure is retained...). Although, as ever, you could always wait...

It's a strange fit for an episodic structure all-in-all - not least because I'm not really sure it would have the same commercial benefits as smaller indie games enjoy from being broken up - but not instant catastrophe. Wait and see, as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If one looks at Square Enix and the history over the last two years....micro-transactions are everywhere

They even sneaked them in for the latest Tomb Raider

So are Ubi, they stripped the latest Rainbow Six game to nothing and are releasing it later as DLC yet charging full whack for an online only bare bones of a game. Just like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This news is taking away my horny. I'll probably just replay to original.

So are Ubi, they stripped the latest Rainbow Six game to nothing and are releasing it later as DLC yet charging full whack for an online only bare bones of a game. Just like this.

That has been confirmed but also there is no charge. , its on the rainbow six thread.
    Barebones? Have you played the game?
    Think you are mistaking it for Star Wars Battlefront.

Nothing to state that this remake will be treated the same way.

It's a strange fit for an episodic structure all-in-all - not least because I'm not really sure it would have the same commercial benefits as smaller indie games enjoy from being broken up - but not instant catastrophe. Wait and see, as ever.

I don't disagree with anything you said in your post but if we take them at face value this is to do with the size of the game rather than being done for narrative or game play reasons.

Though maybe taking them at face value is naive.

I'd just wish we could all wait and see what the model is before going nuts. Maybe it'll be great, maybe it'll be the worst of the worst anti consumer trash, we don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well, apart from that time they did it two decades ago :pac:
    I know you're joking but there's a disturbing number of folk in other discussions saying that with a straight face. :o

As Johnny_ultimate says, there are some clear and logical breaks, apart from the obvious disk change moments in the original. Leaving Midgar seems like an obvious one from a plot point of view as well as a development one. Episode one could focus entirely in Midgar and could go back to the idea that I think Retr0 mentioned before about it originally intending to be entirely in Midgar. You'd get a fuller and more fleshed out city.

I'd also heavily echo the idea of idea of exploration of the world being massively impacted by the concept of episodic content. The last thing I want to see happen to this game is end up with a FFX or FFXIII like corridor to play through the game. It was the sheer sense of exploration to find things like the final limit break for Aeris that will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RedXIV wrote: »
    The last thing I want to see happen to this game is end up with a FFX or FFXIII like corridor to play through the game. It was the sheer sense of exploration to find things like the final limit break for Aeris that will suffer.

I think that's exactly what they're going to deliver. It'll be the FFVII story retold in a FFXIII like engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RedXIV wrote: »
    As Johnny_ultimate says, there are some clear and logical breaks, apart from the obvious disk change moments in the original. Leaving Midgar seems like an obvious one from a plot point of view as well as a development one. Episode one could focus entirely in Midgar and could go back to the idea that I think Retr0 mentioned before about it originally intending to be entirely in Midgar. You'd get a fuller and more fleshed out city.

It was always a nice feeling changing disc on those old games, at least here we won't have to do it when all we want to do is revisit an area.

Don't think it'll be a single episodic game, rather 2-3 standalone games and knowing SE they'll be full price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The world map in ff7 is just an illusion, the game is entirely linear other than some end game sidequests. It's also an exceptionally small over world compared to other RPGS. It wouldn't be that tough to just keep the same over world between episodes and just change the state a little with new character dialogue.

As for linear corridor maps, definitely don't want this. However the linearity of the maps wasn't the problem with FFX and ff13. Ff7 has a far worse and more simple battle satem than either of those two games. However the dungeons in ff7 and short and don't overstay their welcome unlike the other two which just drag on way too long. It's a matter of pacing. Anyway some branching paths didn't hurt either.

However I think square are all for the open world design now, ff13-3 had an exceptional open world and ff15 is going to see the same thing. I'd say it will be a lot more open and they did say they are expanding Midgar.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say it will be a lot more open and they did say they are expanding Midgar.

I'd like to see this, Always felt a little disappointing when you heard about the 8 reactors and you only saw pieces of half the city at best

Varik wrote: »
    It was always a nice feeling changing disc on those old games, at least here we won't have to do it when all we want to do is revisit an area.

Don't think it'll be a single episodic game, rather 2-3 standalone games and knowing SE they'll be full price.

You think the total cost of the game could possibly be €180?

Cmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I have a radical idea. If the game is going to be too big for one disc put it on multiple discs and release it all at the same time. It's crazy and completely unheard of for Final Fantasy, but it just might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You think the total cost of the game could possibly be €180?

Cmon.

People have been waiting and shouting for this for so long, they are just terrified all their hype will be too built up so are already destroying it to avoid disappointment, kinda sad really when zero information is available to back up any of the wild claims being made

Evade wrote: »
    I have a radical idea. If the game is going to be too big for one disc put it on multiple discs and release it all at the same time. It's crazy and completely unheard of for Final Fantasy, but it just might work.

That was due to the size of the fmv files not development costs.

Again we don't exactly know what they mean by episodic, it might be like ff13 where we get 3 full games in a trilogy. I wouldn't turn my nose up at an episode 20-25 hours long set in midgar at full price as long as it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Evade wrote: »
    When they say the game is too big for a single release, they're not talking about the physical size of the game, they're talking about the scale of the project.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That was due to the size of the fmv files not development costs.

Again we don't exactly know what they mean by episodic, it might be like ff13 where we get 3 full games in a trilogy. I wouldn't turn my nose up at an episode 20-25 hours long set in midgar at full price as long as it's fun.

Totally agree with your latter point, I'd love that in fact. Spending 25 hours exploring a fully realised Midgar sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

I always imagined a Final Fantasy 7 Complete edition.Running a polished version of every entry in the series.Ie Shinra-Wutai War - Post Advent children Now that done episodically would be Amazing IMO.

Tom1991 wrote: »
    I always imagined a Final Fantasy 7 Complete edition.Running a polished version of every entry in the series.Ie Shinra-Wutai War - Post Advent children Now that done episodically would be Amazing IMO.

They are already pushed to the limits remaking FF7 as is :D

But the Shinra-Wutai war would be a nice chapter to include. I imagine it would be a bit like Dynasty Warriors as you play with Sephiroth though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

gizmo wrote: »
    When they say the game is too big for a single release, they're not talking about the physical size of the game, they're talking about the scale of the project.
    Oh, I didn't read like that to me.

Advertisement