Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fruit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

A burnt orange is delicious by the way. You cut it into quarters and put it in the oven...make SURE you put tinfoil over the tray the acid ruins it otherwise.

I do it in the oven...it's a roasted orange actually i think. I think some people do it differently. I don't know how though.

I forget that existed! My mam used to give us roasted grapefruit and it was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

I forget that existed! My mam used to give us roasted grapefruit and it was lovely.

Oh I have never tried grapefruit I must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I agree he can be plain nasty sometimes. Very few raw foodists are completely honest. To be honest I find a lot of people who say they are totally vegan all the time are not honest. Veganing is HARD ...it takes organization if you go out or or are traveling.

DR is just a hypocrite. He has videos on his channel from a few years back slagging off famous people that got there teeth capped, but yet now he has a brand new set of teeth himself. As does Tim VanOrden. Makes you wonder about how healthy fruit actually is if these long term vegans are having their teeth done.

Dan McDonald is too into the whole spiritual bs. Lou Corona is interesting, but keeps crying when telling his story and so comes across as not being too grounded. Doug Graham (who wrote 80/10/10) is also interesting but the whole money laundering stuff makes you think he's not legit. Dr.Robert Lockhart (70 year old raw vegan who does handwalking) another who seems very inspirational but I wonder if his backstory is as he suggest. Then there's Arnold and the raw cafe. Chap seems out of his mind, but seems harmless enough.

Of them all I would say Don Bennett and John Kohler are the ones I'd say are genuine 100% raw vegan.

I wouldn't think anyone is totally 100% raw vegan. Or at least not all year round. I don't believe anyone who says they are to be honest. Or they are ill.

You have to take everyone with a pinch of salt. Don't take them too seriously.

I would worry about anyone who did or thought they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I slice segments off a mango and then score that in to further segments and kind of pluck them off. Probably my fave. Pineapple is great too but I eat too much and get a sore tummy and numb mouth.

Don't buy the coconuts in Aldi, 59c is a tempting price but the milk is sour and the fruit is rancid. I've tried twice and won't go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>Asian market on Moore St have started selling young Thai coconuts. About time. Quite expensive though. €2.50.<<

At least they are available then.Here i pay the equivalent of 50 cent for a large ripe Coconut,delivered to the door.
    Dont ask me about the price of Cheese though as its about 3 times the price in Ireland ;-(

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I slice segments off a mango and then score that in to further segments and kind of pluck them off. Probably my fave. Pineapple is great too but I eat too much and get a sore tummy and numb mouth.

Don't buy the coconuts in Aldi, 59c is a tempting price but the milk is sour and the fruit is rancid. I've tried twice and won't go again.

I had one from Lidl it was fine to me.

You can buy the milk in cartons now like soya milk very cheaply.

Different people react differently though. Pay attention to your own body.

I hate bananas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't think anyone is totally 100% raw vegan. Or at least not all year round. I don't believe anyone who says they are to be honest. Or they are ill.

Or they soon will be. A diet purely of raw fruit and veg will give you horrible scutters.

• Advertisement

anto9 wrote: »
    >>Asian market on Moore St have started selling young Thai coconuts. About time. Quite expensive though. €2.50.<<

At least they are available then.Here i pay the equivalent of 50 cent for a large ripe Coconut,delivered to the door.
    Dont ask me about the price of Cheese though as its about 3 times the price in Ireland ;-(

The Asian market there is very very over priced. I don't go there much. Rarely.

I've been subscribed to dozens of these people for well over ten years.

Trust me, John Kohler and Don Bennett are militant raw vegans:

kylith wrote: »
    Or they soon will be. A diet purely of raw fruit and veg will give you horrible scutters.

Some people can't even thrive on a cooked vegan diet. It's true. You have to pay attention to your own body. And of course pay attention to your doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'd eat honeydew melons until I collapse.
    Grab a spoon and dig in.

I've been subscribed to dozens of these people for well over ten years.

Trust me, John Kohler and Don Bennett are militant raw vegans:

Hmmm...well IF they are I don't think they are healthy. I think it's fine to have meals like that and let it influence the way you eat. Or even a few days. But I think it's too extreme otherwise or at least from what I have read.

anto9 wrote: »

You are lucky :-)

• Advertisement

Grab a spoon and dig in.

I prefer watermelons!

Hmmm...well IF they are I don't think they are healthy. I think it's fine to have meals like that and let it influence the way you eat. Or even a few days. But I think it's too extreme otherwise or at least from what I have read.

Yeah, for sure I don't think a raw vegan diet is for everyone. Most take B12 that I am aware of also. Lots of videos on YouTube of people saying they got sicker after going raw vegan but then there are also lots saying it has changed their life and cured them of illnesses. So, I would certainly take anecdotal videos online with a hefty pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Grab a spoon and dig in.

My nephew did that with watermelon.

Red puke everywhere.

Sliced Bananas in a sandwich .That was one of the treats in my youth .

Yeah, for sure I don't think a raw vegan diet is for everyone. Most take B12 that I am aware of also. Lots of videos on YouTube of people saying they got sicker after going raw vegan but then there are also lots saying it has changed their life and cured them of illnesses. So, I would certainly take anecdotal videos online with a hefty pinch of salt.

Or on forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I don't know I think there should be moves to encourage eating more fruit that we can actually grow here. It makes more sense and is more environmentally friendly I would have thought. It's crazy that most apples you buy aren't Irish when we are perfectly capable of growing them here. I'm not trying to be all "Non-Irish things are evil and bad" or anything, I just think we should be making more of an effort to source locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Banana with peanut butter spread on top - delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Spuds. Mashed Spuds with butter and salt. The fruits of the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Party watermelon - watermelon injected all round with vodka.

I quite like Kiwi too but it drives my work colleagues mental that I eat them unpeeled.
    Spuds. Mashed Spuds with butter and salt. The fruits of the soil.

I think in parts of germany the word for potato is Erdapfel. Which basically translates as Apples of the Earth. The rest of Germany call them Kartoffel which is not nearly as poetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I quite like Kiwi too but it drives my work colleagues mental that I eat them unpeeled.

I think in parts of germany the word for potato is Erdapfel. Which basically translates as Apples of the Earth. The rest of Germany call them Kartoffel which is not nearly as poetic.

pomme de terre = apples from the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone try a sharon fruit yet? I popped my sharon fruit cherry (fruit pen inteneded) last week-a cross betwwen an orange and a peach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Banana's are my go to fruit because they're an easy snack and are very affordable. There's nothing wrong with eating something that's common!

Passion fruit, Pomegranate & even kiwis are messy fruits. I'm sure there's a knack to it but not exactly something you eat while walking to college in the morning.
    Bromelain content. It's quite high. People buy it in tablet form to take as an anti inflammatory. I love drinking fresh Pineapple Juice.

Yes, pineapple is great for any swelling and fantastic for anyone with acne like I do, great stuff. It also helped bring down a swollen ankle very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Strawberry and pineapple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yes, pineapple is great for any swelling and fantastic for anyone with acne like I do, great stuff. It also helped bring down a swollen ankle very quickly.

I've seen fresh pineapple juice used as a meat tenderiser in South America and The Caribbean. Papaya flesh/juice also does the same.

My favourite fruits are all tropical: Soursop, sapodilla, papaya, pineapple, mangoes (especially the Julie variety). The trouble is that they don't travel well and need to be properly sun-ripened to be at their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Nothing like a nice, crisp apple. Gala is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Very misunderstood fruit imo. Love ruby grapefruits with natural yoghurt topping.

Delicious, and great addition to a diet, grapefruits actively burn fat.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I had one from Lidl it was fine to me.

You can buy the milk in cartons now like soya milk very cheaply.

Different people react differently though. Pay attention to your own body.

I hate bananas!

I don't know if you can see the colour properly in the pics but the fruit was actually a dark shade of cream and I've never seen the milk look like that! I'll try one next time I'm in Lidl.

Avocados get my vote. Eat one every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Love avocados, wish they'd ripen faster though! :/ Papaya is pretty good too, got a taste for it abroad, eating it with rice. Love kiwis too but it's quite difficult to find non-bitter ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

A whole pineapple is less than 2 euro. A small pineapple fruit salad is 3 to 4 euro. I'm easily saving a tenner by cutting up my own fruit salad for the week's lunch.
    Gyalist wrote: »
    I've seen fresh pineapple juice used as a meat tenderiser in South America and The Caribbean. Papaya flesh/juice also does the same.

Ah yes, I do that myself!! I add the juice to make sauces as well for fajitas, sweet & sour and Teriyaki (Hawaiian Style!:D). But the juice tastes great on everything. Over freshly boiled rice too. Must buy some papayas. Gonna google some recipes.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I like kiwis and strawberries. Haven't really tried anything too exotic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A perfectly ripe and juicy peach is a thing of beauty. You don't really get them in ireland or the uk though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭circadian

Durian despite the stench. Flavour is pretty nice. Rose apples are nice if they're just ripe, very juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

A perfectly ripe and juicy peach is a thing of beauty. You don't really get them in ireland or the uk though.

We get these wild peaches in the Netherlands, they're flatter and whiter and absolutely gorgeous. I had English friends tell me they can buy them in Tesco where they are called 'donut peaches' because, and I quote "the general public are idiots".

I love most fruits but I hate passion fruit (too strong) and dragon fruit (too mild).

rosie16 wrote: »
    Love avocados, wish they'd ripen faster though! :/ Papaya is pretty good too, got a taste for it abroad, eating it with rice. Love kiwis too but it's quite difficult to find non-bitter ones.

I've gotten quite good at this. Put them in a paper bag with one or two ripe bananas and scrunch up the bag nice and tight. Leave them for about two days and you'll have perfectly ripe avocados. Ripe bananas contain ethylene gas which forces the avocados to ripen faster.

rosie16 wrote: »
    Love avocados, wish they'd ripen faster though! :/

Apparently if you place them in a brown paper bag they a gas they release ripens them faster.

I tried it and it seems to ripen them in around half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I love oranges. So annoying to peel though

Peaches as mentioned .I used grow them in my greenhouse when i lived in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don't know I think there should be moves to encourage eating more fruit that we can actually grow here. It makes more sense and is more environmentally friendly I would have thought. It's crazy that most apples you buy aren't Irish when we are perfectly capable of growing them here. I'm not trying to be all "Non-Irish things are evil and bad" or anything, I just think we should be making more of an effort to source locally.

The bold part I agree with. :) If we can grow nice fruit in Ireland it will be the most popular. If imported apples are the most popular it's probably because they're nicer. Apart from apples, strawberries and tomatoes I'm not sure what we can grow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

The bold part I agree with. :) If we can grow nice fruit in Ireland it will be the most popular. If imported apples are the most popular it's probably because they're nicer. Apart from apples, strawberries and tomatoes I'm not sure what we can grow?

Imported apples are more popular because they are cheaper and available year round. Has very little to do with their quality.

Irish and British apples in season are far better than the under ripe pollytunnel grown ****e we get from The Netherlands and Isrsel in most supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I give the dragon fruit 10/10 for style, 5/10 for taste.

My favorite fruits to eat are pears, cherries & apricots.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

Cherries. Morning, noon and night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nectarines. Raspberries. Mango. Apples if they are proper (small) Cox's or Jonagold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement