Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fruit

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Delicious, and great addition to a diet, grapefruits actively burn fat.

Please dont believe this, eating less calories than you need is the only thing that burns fat

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Peaches, plums, nectarines and kiwis. Can't believe there's not more mention of nectarines. Nothing like taking a mouthful of one and getting all that lovely juice running down your chin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

circadian wrote: »
    Durian despite the stench. Flavour is pretty nice. Rose apples are nice if they're just ripe, very juicy.

You'd also probably like the delightfully named "stinking toe" which is a delicious fruit in the Caribbean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Emsloe wrote: »
    Cherries. Morning, noon and night.

And they're in season! I've been getting through a kilo a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Crumpets wrote: »
    I could live off apples. Especially when you put peanut butter on them!

:eek: I thought I was the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Oh I love slices of apple slathered in peanut butter. Delish!!

I love nectarines, plums and raspberries. I buy mangoes to make smoothies for the kids, the smell off them makes me gag. Papaya are fantastic at easing heartburn. I ate tonnes of them when I was pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

efb wrote: »
    I love oranges. So annoying to peel though

What? Nah the peeling is half the fun. tear off little pieces and then line them up beside you and then decide what they look like. "Ooh, this piece kind of looks like France!" "This one looks like a dinosaur! Raaawwrr!" etc. No?

I'm 30...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

OneOfThem wrote: »
    What? Nah the peeling is half the fun. tear off little pieces and then line them up beside you and then decide what they look like. "Ooh, this piece kind of looks like France!" "This one looks like a dinosaur! Raaawwrr!" etc. No?

I'm 30...

No no no the fun part is trying to peel it without breaking any bits off!

I'm also 30 :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

For anyone who is on a diet or trying to lose weight, You should not eat fruit

Fruit is high in sugar and carbohydrates, and should not be eaten, especially if you don't have an active lifestyle

Fruit punnet of grapes is of-course better than a bag of sweets but its still high in sugar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

My favorite fruit is purple

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Soyokakano wrote: »

Fruit is high in sugar and carbohydrates, and should not be eaten, especially if you don't have an active lifestyle

Fruit punnet of grapes is of-course better than a bag of sweets but its still high in sugar

Im no expert and there are eleventy billion arguments about nutrition so I have no intention of starting another one but would the health benefits of course not negate the sugar? Like I say Im no expert but its not often I hear someone say dont eat fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

This is terrible advice.

Fruits are high in fructose, but they are also high in fibre meaning it is almost impossible to over eat fruits in their natural form.

Avoid fruit juices, yes but the prevailing logic is to eat fruits and vegetables "to abundance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

My favourite are Chicken Balls with Curry sauce

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

KungFuhrer wrote: »
    Once at Dunnes I was asked by the guy at checkout if a pomegranate was an onion! The lady behind me was almost crying from holding back the laughter.

That's hilarious. I almost laughed out loud.

Almost.

Pomegranates are amazing though, beautiful looking too.

etoughguy wrote: »
    Im no expert and there are eleventy billion arguments about nutrition so I have no intention of starting another one but would the health benefits of course not negate the sugar? Like I say Im no expert but its not often I hear someone say dont eat fruit

First of all the 5 a day argument it total Bull shyt. Talking about Fruits and Veg as if they are the same thing or comparable is ridiculous.

Vegetables are a fantastic source of nutrition, High in vitamins and naturally low in Sugar and Carbs.

Fruit on the other hand is loaded with sugar and if you are trying to limit your intake of carbohydrates, eat very little of it or none at all.

Carbs are deadly.
    High Carb foods include, Bread, Rice, Pasta, Potatoes, Breakfast Cereals, Sugar, Chocolate, Fruit and Ice Cream.

If you want to lose weight cut these out of your diet

Whats Good

Healthy fats, Fish & Meat of any kind, Vegetables, Eggs, Nuts, Salads, Full Fat Cheese, Full fat unsweetened yogurts( Alpro Soy is best) Real creamery Butter & full or double cream.

This is terrible advice.

Fruits are high in fructose, but they are also high in fibre meaning it is almost impossible to over eat fruits in their natural form.

Avoid fruit juices, yes but the prevailing logic is to eat fruits and vegetables "to abundance".

If you want diabetes yes eat fruit in abundance by all means. However most people would rather not die of kidney failure.

Juices are worse again. Drink a nice cold glass of water instead,

Veg is completely different. Its good for you. Eat with meals to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pineapple.

Closely followed by grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Apples, red grapes, pineapples, bananas, avocados and chili peppers are my favourites.

I eat chilies daily and find them great for an energy boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Carbs are deadly.

*cringe*

Can you keep your faddy diet to yourself, please? This thread is about our favourite fruits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

My absolute favourites are mangoes, grapes and this. There's another one that I love but I don't know its name in English.

Then strawberries, mulberries, jackfruits, gooseberries, and rambutans (we could never grow lychees)

Honorary mentions go to pomegranates and oranges.

I can't get half of them here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ya can't bate an ould apple!

Love a bit of pineapple and yoghurt too

If you want diabetes yes eat fruit in abundance by all means. However most people would rather not die of kidney failure.

Veg is completely different. Its good for you. Eat with meals to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

This is laughably bad advice.

Even people like David Ludwig and Robert Lustig, men who are leading the "anti-sugar" crusade say that eating fruit is not only not harmful for those trying to lose weight but actually promotes weight loss. Whoever is feeding you this anti-fruit nonsense needs to do some reading.

Here's a good place to start.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had nectarines in Crete recently, and they were utterly unlike the ones I've had from Irish supermarkets. Softer, much juicier, and full of flavour. They were absolutely delicious.

Tough to beat a good auld ripe banana though.

mud wrote: »
    Apples, red grapes, pineapples, bananas, avocados and chili peppers are my favourites.

I eat chilies daily and find them great for an energy boost.

Some studies have shown that Chilies actively boost your metabolism, so yeah, it is a kind of energy boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Some studies have shown that Chilies actively boost your metabolism, so yeah, it is a kind of energy boost.

Isn't that what I said? :)

• Advertisement

mud wrote: »
    Isn't that what I said? :)

Tis tis tis, was just seconding the post really. I eat Chilies a lot as well and I find the days I don't I'm not as bright eyed and bushy tailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

mutley18 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a fruit hipster...
    FYP :p

Strawberries, grapes and bananas are really nice. Oranges and that lovely smell from a ripe one when you slice it open...so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Bullshít, bullshít, bullshít.

Fruit and veg are an important part of anyone's diet. What is it with these threads and the amateur nutritionists coming out of the woodwork to parrot this kind of nonsense?

The only thing that affects weight gain is calories in vs calories out. If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight, conversely if you eat less than you burn you'll lose weight.

Which crackpot website/hollywood diet of the month are you getting this nonsense from?

lizzyman wrote: »
    Bullshít, bullshít, bullshít.

Fruit and veg are an important part of anyone's diet. What is it with these threads and the amateur nutritionists coming out of the woodwork to parrot this kind of nonsense?

The only thing that affects weight gain is calories in vs calories out. If you eat more than you burn you will gain weight, conversely if you eat less than you burn you'll lose weight.

No your wrong. Carbs are the killer. Carbs increase the levels of insulin in the body. Insulin is the hormone that stores fat around the middle. Fat in this area is the leading cause of type 2 diabetes.

Counting calories is a waste of time

• Advertisement

No your wrong. Carbs are the killer. Carbs increase the levels of insulin in the body. Insulin is the hormone that stores fat around the middle. Fat in this area is the leading cause of type 2 diabetes.

Counting calories is a waste of time

The idea of calories in vs calories burned affecting weight has been proven scientifically and there are at least two equations for working out ones BMR and the amount of calories needed to maintain weight - Harris-Benedict back in 1919 and the slightly more accurate and recent Mifflin-St Jeor equation. Once you have your BMR you can adjust it to fit your lifestyle (sedentary or active etc) and then subtract or add calories to lose or gain weight.

Your claims that carbohydrates and fruit are somehow 'deadly' and 'killer' is completely lacking in any scientific or logical basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Anyone can be a nutritionist though, it takes 4 years of study and a degree to be a dietician.

Dietitian is a protected term, nutritionist means very little - if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Donalinger

I love fruit.
    Apples are my favourite. Pink Lady's are delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Pink Lady apple is the ultimate fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I like almost all fruits, especially when they are in season. My favourites would probably be passion fruit, pineapple and bananas.

Advertisement