Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road Layout by Westwood Hotel

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭

The council are idiots. They change the road layout by the Westwood Hotel and have no signs in advance warning its a new layout. Half the drivers are observing the old lanes and half are observing the new lanes. I guarantee there is going to be a crash in the next few days because of this

Edit: I've emailed the council about this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

deisedude wrote: »
    The council are idiots. They change the road layout by the Westwood Hotel and have no signs in advance warning its a new layout. Half the drivers are observing the old lanes and half are observing the new lanes. I guarantee there is going to be a crash in the next few days because of this

Noticed this yesterday, maybe they might put a sign up when they finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's the new layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What's the new layout?

Its the road straight opposite the entrance to the business park.

Left lane is now exclusively for going Moycullen direction
    There is a small middle lane which I assume is for bikes but it doesn't have a bike icon
    Right lane is now for going straight into the business park or turning right

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Coming from the city the left lane was always left turn or straight on, and the right lane only for business park, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

biko wrote: »
    Coming from the city the left lane was always left turn or straight on, and the right lane only for business park, no?

Think he means coming from the hospital direction on N59 (along the side of the Westwood and going straight on would bring you into the business park), not from Upper Newcastle Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah he means coming from the roundabout turning left to Dangan I think

biko wrote: »

Coming from the Brown roundabout. Its still the same from the city direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

The narrow middle lane is a weird one. No arrow or marking at all.

I did hear the road widening there was for the massive wind turbine trucks to be able to turn.

Still no signs this morning warning motorists of the new road layout. Got an email from the council saying they have forwarded the query to someone in transport so typical passing of the buck.

Council couldn't even paint the road right. The far right lane that was pointing straight no longer is.

Motorists are unbelievably confused. While driving in to the business park today a car in all 3 lanes tried driving straight in to the business park. Its an absolute fcuking joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Thomas Hynes Road is the name yeer looking for lads...

• Advertisement

Still no signs this morning warning motorists of the new road layout. Got an email from the council saying they have forwarded the query to someone in transport so typical passing of the buck.

Council couldn't even paint the road right. The far right lane that was pointing straight no longer is.

Motorists are unbelievably confused. While driving in to the business park today a car in all 3 lanes tried driving straight in to the business park. Its an absolute fcuking joke!

The far right lane is pointing straight but also has a right arrow.
    The lane in the middle is wide enough that motorists think it might be for cars. It probably was intended for cyclists.
    It is a screw-up and the people painting it must have recognised that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

<Keep it on this intersection only>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry for stepping up the strictness but in the interest of keeping this on track, stick with this intersection only afore we have yet another general complaining about traffic thread...

Changed again now!!!

The left lane is now for turning towards Moycullen or going straight into the Business Park
    The Middle Lane is still a mystery!!!
    The right lane is only for turning right

Seems to me they completely messed up when painting the road markings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Changed again now!!!

The left lane is now for turning towards Moycullen or going straight into the Business Park
    The Middle Lane is still a mystery!!!
    The right lane is only for turning right

Seems to me they completely messed up when painting the road markings

I saw them altering the arrows as you pointed out deisedude. I'll try and snap a shot on the way home. The middle lane is very odd - I've never seen a road marking that size before. Its good for me going straight normally as it is combined with right. Seeing as they only just finished widening the road its disappointing that it is not 100%. The lights still have bags over the new ones...

Sniipe wrote: »
    I saw them altering the arrows as you pointed out deisedude. I'll try and snap a shot on the way home. The middle lane is very odd - I've never seen a road marking that size before. Its good for me going straight normally as it is combined with right. Seeing as they only just finished widening the road its disappointing that it is not 100%. The lights still have bags over the new ones...

What are the length of the lanes?
    Hopefully this middle lane is a cycle lane - otherwise would have cyclists inside left turning traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

What are the length of the lanes?
    Hopefully this middle lane is a cycle lane - otherwise would have cyclists inside left turning traffic.

Might be something like the central cycle reservation at the exit from mcdonalds/dunnes in westside ?

The road markings are now back to the original arrows. The middle lane is confusing and seems to extend well past the lights. They don't seem to have thought this through at all. People coming from Moycullen have a more awkward right turn.

Not the best shots in the world, but they give you a gist...
    R8OxWuzl.jpg

and

x79oxEjl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Could the central "lane" be to facilitate left-turnng HGVs with a large turning circle, so they don't swing into the right-turning lane onto traffic there?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Could the central "lane" be to facilitate left-turnng HGVs with a large turning circle, so they don't swing into the right-turning lane onto traffic there?

That is the intention. The road was probably built by the company looking to use the road for the wind turbines.

any updates? any further road paintings?

any updates? any further road paintings?

Nothing new. It does seem to be for bikes only. The middle lane extends out about 3 meters in front of the other two lanes...

Sniipe wrote: »
    Nothing new. It does seem to be for bikes only. The middle lane extends out about 3 meters in front of the other two lanes...

It is perhaps a bike lane - but very much doubt the junction was changed for that reason. Is the wind turbine theory the most obvious reason for the change?

Any changes to this junction in the past month?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Would it not be for cars going straight into IDA park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Contact roads @ galwaycity.ie for a definitive answer

snubbleste wrote: »
    Contact roads @ galwaycity.ie for a definitive answer

ha, I just did that 2 min ago. I sent them this picture
    hM7kiUel.jpg

I think its too small for cars 3 abreast...

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote: »
    Would it not be for cars going straight into IDA park.

Its only about 2.8m wide - too narrow for a standard motor vehicle lane. Just wondering had any NEW line painting been done on the junction? Westbound on Thomas Hynes Rd the markings show a lane (not marked as a cycle lane) ending at the footpath. It is all very strange.

Advertisement