Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road Layout by Westwood Hotel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I got word back from someone in the transportation department and have been told that it is for cyclists only as a right turn lane and that it is currently incomplete as it is awaiting colouring and symbols when weather also permits.

They have 2 sets of traffic lights there for a while also... I wonder when they will be sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

You are wasting your time emailing the council for an answer. I emailed them twice and they passed the buck on to someone else.

Surprised there hasn't been a crash yet to be honest

deisedude wrote: »
    You are wasting your time emailing the council for an answer. I emailed them twice and they passed the buck on to someone else.

Surprised there hasn't been a crash yet to be honest
    Sure I got an answer... I don't feel it was a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sniipe wrote: »
    I got word back from someone in the transportation department and have been told that it is for cyclists only as a right turn lane and that it is currently incomplete as it is awaiting colouring and symbols when weather also permits.

Did they mention the other "proposed cycle lane" I guess now that is on the opposite side of the road. It's a mess - stops at the footpath. As this is the N59 do the NTA not have standards to maintain when it comes to design?

• Advertisement

no mention of anything else. I guess they are holding onto that one as a happy surprise ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

boardzz wrote: »
    Would it not be for cars going straight into IDA park.

Nope, the left most lane is clearly marked for this, and the right most lane is clearly marked for a right turn.

I have seen cars in the "middle" lane indicating right, this is prime for an accident.

They are in the process of installing new lights, I kind of assume when the new lights are fully commissioned, they will finish painting the junction, Perhaps someone more is to change, the requires the "new" lights.

Sniipe wrote: »

What "kind" of weather are they waiting for? It's been there a few weeks now, and we had all sorts of weather, cept snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They were putting in a cycle lane on the side going towards Westside on the Thomas Hynes Road on Friday. The lane for the cars looks extremely narrow now.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    They were putting in a cycle lane on the side going towards Westside on the Thomas Hynes Road on Friday. The lane for the cars looks extremely narrow now.

Any sign of work on the middle lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No, not at the time. I don't see how they can keep that middle lane so wide when the westside bound side is so narrow!

Maybe it's fine it just didn't look fine when I was sitting in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Any sign of work on the middle lane?

Yes middle lane is now that burnt orange colour for cyclists with vehicle lanes either side of it.

Cyclist only stopping area is also burnt orange in front of vehicles' stop line

I took a photo on Friday
    eOScDomFth1qtBH4J-I_ljE54nf_Xpqnh5dZ0yRyt8ba=w1316-h741-no

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Maybe they will turn on the new lights now.They were fitted some months back and it's been work done in dribs and drabs ever since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I took pictures this morning and this looks pretty horrific. A classic example of the city council making cyclists the meat in the sandwich.

358130.jpg

358131.jpg

358132.jpg

It looks as if the intent of this "cycle lane" is to help motorists overtake cyclists while at one and the same time pushing cyclists into a very obvious hazard in the form of a build out.

It would seem the intent of the designers is to encourage motorists to drive right up beside cyclists who normally would be expected to be pulling out around an obstacle.

Classic case of roads engineers using cycle lanes to remove priority from cyclists and reduce safety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They removed a huge chunk of the footpath to facilitate a bike path. Do they have plans to remove the rest :confused:

The whole junction looks a mess now.

Advertisement