Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rosa gloden showers

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, I'm an extremely amateur gardener so bear with me please. I have a two year old rosa golden showers climbing rose that's a healthy looking plant producing plenty of large blooms BUT they only last maybe two or three days before loosing their petals. Is this normal or should they last much longer as I'd expect? It's planted in a well fertilised bed and gets feeds of miracle go rose feed. The only other thing is there is a campanula planted at the base that's gone rampant, is this possibly the reason for such short flowering??
    vbulletin2ptwi1x.jpg2ptwi1x.jpg

Looks like a love heart :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Rose blooms can only last a few days, especially in hot dry conditions. If the plant looks healthy and it's producing plenty of flowers you should be ok. The only other issue might be the size of bed it's in and the added stress of the campanula. What size is it?

Keep spreading the love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

The rose is about 5 foot high and the bed is approx 3ft square on paving as you can see but I dug it down about 3 feet to the original soil of the garden. I've another climbing rose (climbing iceberg) in large container and the blooms last for a few weeks at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Par for the course for Golden Showers in my experience, another one with a similar problem is Zepherin Drouhin, it may be because they are highly scented and attract lots of pollinators. I don't think the campanula would be much of a problem, it would keep the roots cool, unless the area is droughted.
    As ik67 says, if the rest of the plant looks healthy, no sign of blackspot or aphid problems, then I wouldn't be too worried. Maybe give it a bit of feed if you feel you must do something.

I'm not "overly" worried just the fact that the blooms don't last very long, I was thinking of replacing it with an Iceberg climber which seems to be better all round. I didn't prune back the golden shower either, would that have any thing to do with it?

Pruning wouldn't have affected it. I think it is just down to the variety.

• Advertisement

Here's the offending rose
    skxk5h.jpg

I do think it's down to the variety but it does look a little hungry. Also check it's not drying out. It wilĺ also need some tidying in the autumn or spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yeah, looks fine. Iceberg is a lovely rose but can be a bit of a thug, you'd need to keep it in check in a position like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what a name to pick for a plant.

what a name to pick for a plant.
    :D:D Thanks for all the help Marhay70 & IK67

• Advertisement

Hi folks, another poser for ye on the Iceberg Rose, It's growing well (trying to cover a shed) and bloomed beautifully for a few months but now ther's not one single bud to be seen, is there any specific reason for this??

Advertisement