Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to primary schools

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on when we should apply to the various primary schools in the area for a place for our son. I had contacted them initially when he was a baby but was told that it is unnecessary to apply until the year before entry.

I just wanted to confirm with other parents that this is the case - I don't want to be left without a place for him. Although of course I'm mindful of the fact that I can't force them to take his details if they won't! :)

Is the year before entry normal procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I believe Educate Together take names as soon as you like (and I mean as soon as they are born). With the opening of the new school, there'll probably be only 2 classes for Junior Infants in Educate Together next year (3 in previous years). It might help to let us know if you have a preference based on religious interest for a more focused response.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 daisybun

Thanks Astrofluff.

I hadn't really been considering the ET as I had understood that they are very heavily oversubscribed. Having said that I am completely open to any and all schools regardless of ethos.
    To be honest I have a preference for St. Brigids and St. Kevins as they are within walking distance of our house and so offer the most practical solution for him.

As I said though, we are willing to consider all the possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Yes, that one applies the November before is still the case except for Educate Together which is more flexible:

http://www.greystoneset.ie/enrol-in-our-school/

For the other primary schools in the parish enrolment forms for Junior Infants are available

from school secretary's office and also online during the first two weeks in November for

those wishing to apply for a place for their child in the school for September of the following year.

There is usually a reminder closer to the time in the local press (usually) i.e. Bray People and free papers

and also in the local churches and in their parish bulletins.

Keep an eye on the school websites e.g. St. Kevin's: http://www.stkevins.ie/index.html

The link for this year's enrolment 2015-16 is at the top of the page ... tho' it is titled 2014-15

Details on enrolment on homepage on the St.Brigid's site:

http://www.saintbrigidsgreystones.ie/

Thankfully the new primary school will take the pressure off parents looking for a place in primary school for their child.

Great schools locally ... and a great choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 daisybun

Thank you Son of Jack, that's really useful. I really appreciate you taking the time to put it all together!

Advertisement