Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Streaming Movies & Browsing

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Finally narrowed down what I want my system to do and how best to manage my downloading and data storage.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

1. What is your budget? Willing to spend up to €300.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Streaming movies, internet browsing. I would like to get as much as I can for my money so I don’t need to consider upgrading in the next couple of years

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? No, need HDMI out though to connect to TV

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboad & Mouse (wireless).

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Never tried but if there is a benefit to be had I’m willing to give it a go

8. How can you pay? Can pay any method.

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next 6 months. No rush, I’m willing to pick the parts up as I go, as I see offers etc

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Going to try building myself

I’m going to store movies etc on a Synology server so don’t need much storage in the computer
    I would like a neat small case so I can leave the computer on my current TV stand where my PS3 used to live
    I think I want to include a Blue-Ray drive as well, just so I have the option of playing movies/disks that aren’t already on my NAS

I would be willing to use second hand parts once I know the spec to look out for.

It doesn’t have to be a custom build either, if there is something ready built out there that can be upgraded as needed but would fit my needs I’ll consider that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably looking at an intel i3 cpu (1150 socket), h87 or h97 board (mini-itx form factor, 1150 socket), 4gb ddr3 1600MHz RAM, 128gb SSD, 350W PSU, mini-itx case.

A case could be made for a AMD APU if they release anything of note soon and you want to play some last gen titles, but even then i'd recommend just making that choice down the line and getting a small form factor GPU. If you do think you'll stick a GPU in there you'll probably want to bump the PSU up to 400-450W just to be safe.

This might come to approx 400 if bought in one go though, so checking around for deals is a good idea. I'm being general here so i'd recommend using the information i've provided to do some research. To get the best deals you will have to understand what you are building and what fits into what :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As you have the storage covered and essentially this is a TV appliance (streaming & browsing) I would suggest an Intel NUC.

Just add memory and a HDD/SSD and the operating system of choice and you should be covered.

The NUC has an IR receiver so if you run something like Kodi for the media you can control everything with a remote control.

Of course this does not have an optical drive .... but maybe one could be either fitted to the NAS or else an external USB connected optical drive could be used when required.

A Celeron NUC would do all you specified but higher spec NUCs are also available.

Some of them use a M.SSD instead.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Would a Gigabyte Brix 2807 be okay ?
    Got a flubit offer for €114 plus Ram & SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

will56 wrote: »
    Would a Gigabyte Brix 2807 be okay ?
    Got a flubit offer for €114 plus Ram & SSD

It should be, but I have no personal experience of using one.

The Celeron NUC uses a 2820

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-board-dn2820fykh.html

A comparison of the CPUs
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celeron-N2820-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2807

Some further reading
    http://liliputing.com/2014/06/12-intel-powered-mini-pcs-for-300-or-less.html

I think I'm going to go with the Intel NUC DN2820FYKH.
    Its not the most powerful but when I thought seriously about what I wanted it seems to be the best option, IR receiver, small form factor :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I recently went through this also, ended up just being a cheap chromebook in PC world during a sale, was about €175 I think. It's been sitting happily under my telly since!

..Brian.. wrote: »
    I recently went through this also, ended up just being a cheap chromebook in PC world during a sale, was about €175 I think. It's been sitting happily under my telly since!

I've looked at the Chromebooks and Chromebox but I prefer the extra functions with Windows.
    Thats why I'm trading up from my Android box really, for those times when you want to copy files to a USB stick or even upload stuff

Advertisement