Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthlone

Options
  • 16-06-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

I'd like it to go on bords tri record...that i think its a f***** disgrace that Tri Athlone get to charge €145 for the National Mid Distance Championships. A f***** disgrace. Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'd like it to go on bords tri record...that i think its a f***** disgrace that Tri Athlone get to charge €145 for the National Mid Distance Championships. A f***** disgrace. Rant over

Must be about four weeks since your last rant. ;) :rolleyes:

As an aside, I completely agree with you. At that price I reckon I'd be using tri an mhi as an early half next year instead, even though it's further away.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057429727

Jesus, just over a month, were you starting to worry that it wasn't coming??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Haha :)

DEfinitely the most expensive sport in Ireland.

I wonder if TI accept Fifa style payments from the likes of Triathlone who get the national championships in moreyears than not

on course nutrition is 32gi which as far as i can see can be purchased nowhere in iReland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

For and against Triathlone:

For:
    - Pedigree of hosting big events
    - Generally well run and organised
    - Appear to be trying to raise the bar - transition bags now like big races, Pros coming to race
    - Location, atmosphere of run etc.
    - Likely to be a great race
    - A little PR but not much by them.
    - Usually live tracking/results

Against:
    - No prize money published and known to be very tight with this, TI were to set rules for this yrs ago but obv haven't.
    - First yr race - again against TI rules for NS/NC but obv bypassed due to History/Relationship.
    - V expensive
    - no closed roads I don't believe
    - Map of route is poor

Bryan - at least its still cheaper than IM and in fairness by a lot.
    A good bit more than Tri an mhi and likely with a minimum prize fund by comparison is the main highlight imo.

Agreed with above though, you seem to complain about the little things which seems ironic having gone to new bike/wheels/coaches costs etc surely a race entry or few isn't that hard to swallow!

Bad swim today? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

As far as I can remember early bird was e110.00 standard entry e120.00 and late entry e140.00.

In fairness e110.00 while expensive is not over the top.

E260 for late relay entry now that's over the top imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ceepo wrote: »
    As far as I can remember early bird was e110.00 standard entry e120.00 and late entry e140.00.

In fairness e110.00 while expensive is not over the top.

E260 for late relay entry now that's over the top imo.

Staggered entry fees are bullsh*t though.

Fazz wrote: »

For:
    - Pedigree of hosting big events
    - Generally well run and organised
    - Appear to be trying to raise the bar - transition bags now like big races, Pros coming to race
    - Location, atmosphere of run etc.
    - Likely to be a great race
    - A little PR but not much by them.
    - Usually live tracking/results

Against:
    - No prize money published and known to be very tight with this, TI were to set rules for this yrs ago but obv haven't.
    - First yr race - again against TI rules for NS/NC but obv bypassed due to History/Relationship.
    - V expensive
    - no closed roads I don't believe
    - Map of route is poor

Bryan - at least its still cheaper than IM and in fairness by a lot.
    A good bit more than Tri an mhi and likely with a minimum prize fund by comparison is the main highlight imo.

Agreed with above though, you seem to complain about the little things which seems ironic having gone to new bike/wheels/coaches costs etc surely a race entry or few isn't that hard to swallow!

Bad swim today? :-)

Lol Ian..no swim today. More like bad race Sat. Am not a fan of the transition bags to tell you the truth. They increase the chances of your stuff being lost. Can understand them alright in a split transition but are they totally necessary in a race were T1 & t2 are in the same place.
    Re bike course they are saying it is technical leaving athlone. Will there be enough volunteers to man all the cross roads and send people in the right direction? Will the swim be in waves? Any idea how many have signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You can be sure some actuary somewhere devised the system of early bird and sliding scale entries. Enter early get cheap price but gamble with fitness / injury risk your money. Play safe on injury front stay late but pay more for the entry.

Would you rather lose €110 or pay €35 for being injury free?

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    You can be sure some actuary somewhere devised the system of early bird and sliding scale entries. Enter early get cheap price but gamble with fitness / injury risk your money. Play safe on injury front stay late but pay more for the entry.

Would you rather lose €110 or pay €35 for being injury free?

Win win for the organisers. IM staffordshire at weekend over 2400 people registered but i read somewhere only 1700 started

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Win win for the organisers. IM staffordshire at weekend over 2400 people registered but i read somewhere only 1700 started

That's a big fall back in numbers, almost 30% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Staggered entry fees are bullsh*t though.

Don't disagree but that's the way race entry's have been going the last no of years in a lot of case's.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Don't disagree but that's the way race entry's have been going the last no of years in a lot of case's.

Commercially run races only it seems. Athy, Athlone, Lough Cutra, IM Dublin, Challenge Galway will be the same.

BTH wrote: »
    Commercially run races only it seems. Athy, Athlone, Lough Cutra, IM Dublin, Challenge Galway will be the same.

Going off topic is DCM a commercially run race now organised by a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »

Of those races at least one is really going to struggle next year

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Against:
    )

Fazz, what do you mean 1st yr race? Do you mean as an national champ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the main problem is you are a minority that worries about entry fees. and most people of this minoroy are people that race quite a bit and what is fine for 1 race becomes a burden for 10 races ( i would assume less than 3 % of triatheltes do more than 10 races a year)
    but the one race a year guy wants the razzmatz it seems and are willing to pay for it.

dublin 265 euro 2000 plus people

tri an mhi ( a fantastic race) 89 euro 250 people.

the only way i see it to change it ,is that TI if they make a race super series or nat champs demand 100 or so places at a knock of price and then offer a scheme to people that do more than 10 triathlons a year at a 40 % discount. ( i have no idea what number and what discount would be right so those are just numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Of those races at least one is really going to struggle next year

this is correct and as somebody wisely said in another thread there is quite a risk putting on races.

peter kern wrote: »
    the main problem is you are a minority that worries about entry fees. and most people of this minoroy are people that race quite a bit and what is fine for 1 race becomes a burden for 10 races ( i would assume less than 3 % of triatheltes do more than 10 races a year)
    but the one race a year guy wants the razzmatz it seems and are willing to pay for it.

dublin 265 euro 2000 plus people

tri an mhi ( a fantastic race) 89 euro 250 people.

the only way i see it to change it ,is that TI if they make a race super series or nat champs demand 100 or so places at a knock of price and then offer a scheme to people that do more than 10 triathlons a year at a 40 % discount. ( i have no idea what number and what discount would be right so those are just numbers.

Its a fair.. tough course and very well organised race but for the extra €39 (when compared to a €50 olympic) alls i got was a bottle of water on the 2nd lap of bike and some dunnes stores cola at km 19 of run...i know there were gels on run course as well but i had my own. Lets say nothing about the €5 head torch thats as useful as tits on a bull ;)
    I'll be back next year though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Fazz, what do you mean 1st yr race? Do you mean as an national champ?

No I mean this is the first time the race has ever been ran.

It's a new course, a new distance in the same starting/ending point as a previously established sprint/olympic race.

This is not the Shadowman ran last yr which is on a diff course.

The bike course is new and goes in the opposite direction/route to previous olympic/sprint races.

TI had stated previously that no race would get NC or even NS status unless it was at least 1-2 years old to prove standards.
    Somewhat understandably, that rule has been bypassed as Triathlone have a solid record of putting on great races and are trying to raise the bar with pro interest it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Proper transfer policies are what's missing from the bigger events, you should be able to transfer up to 2 weeks out. That would make an early bird price value again.

Costs are increasing, the days of a €30 sprint are over except in small club races Imo

Nenagh are trying to buck the trend, well done to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Going off topic is DCM a commercially run race now organised by a club?

DCM is commercial

DCM is commercial

Go on, walk into the trap

No I mean this is the first time the race has ever been ran.

It's a new course, a new distance in the same starting/ending point as a previously established sprint/olympic race.

This is not the Shadowman ran last yr which is on a diff course.

The bike course is new and goes in the opposite direction/route to previous olympic/sprint races.

TI had stated previously that no race would get NC or even NS status unless it was at least 1-2 years old to prove standards.
    Somewhat understandably, that rule has been bypassed as Triathlone have a solid record of putting on great races and are trying to raise the bar with pro interest it seems.

This requirement is dropped quite a bit. *cough* cultra in year one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »
    That's a big fall back in numbers, almost 30% :eek:

worked registration at kilkee two years ago. speaking to the guys from the timing company, they said 30% is average for no shows, they are typically left with 30% of the timing chips remaining when everyone registered

Sure look at the Dublin 70.30 thread. Pretty much everyone that entered and posted on that thread has dropped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Its a fair.. tough course and very well organised race but for the extra €39 (when compared to a €50 olympic) alls i got was a bottle of water on the 2nd lap of bike and some dunnes stores cola at km 19 of run...i know there were gels on run course as well but i had my own. Lets say nothing about the €5 head torch thats as useful as tits on a bull ;)
    I'll be back next year though :)

You also got to race a half ironman and not an Olympic, in fairness.

Regardless of how long it took you, Tri an Mhí had to ensure marshals were out on the route for 8 hours. Numerous people in the club gave up their free time to do this, not to mention all the other work that goes into organising a race. Any profits they made on the race must have been fairly minor.

Your gripes are pretty small.

zico10 wrote: »
    You also got to race a half ironman and not an Olympic, in fairness.

Regardless of how long it took you, Tri an Mhí had to ensure marshals were out on the route for 8 hours. Numerous people in the club gave up their free time to do this, not to mention all the other work that goes into organising a race. Any profits they made on the race must have been fairly minor.

Your gripes are pretty small.

Its not his fault. They've been particularly heavy the last few months :)

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    Any profits they made on the race must have been fairly minor.

QUOTE]

This is were i disagree

260 entrants (with 30% no show rate) v 89 euro= €23,140 euro
    Marshalls aren't paid.

Advertisement