Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthlone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

zico10 wrote: »
    Any profits they made on the race must have been fairly minor.

QUOTE]

This is were i disagree

260 entrants (with 30% no show rate) v 89 euro= €23,140 euro
    Marshalls aren't paid.

That's not profit - that's turnover!

You will deffo have Ceepos spot as most argumentative poster at end of years awards!

You get very stressed about the small money, you have a coach, go on foreign training holidays to escape the bad weather, I assume a top end bike and equipment yet you complain about spending 89 euros for a well run 1/2 and what you get from it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Tri an Mhi was good value at €89. Exceptionally well run race. Good water safety presence. Good marshalling (and done with a smile too). Great course. The baked potato and free erdinger went down well afterwards. And they appear to have a very generous prize structure for competitors. If they made a profit from the day I think it would be unfair to begrudge it.

If you think the entry is too much, don't pay it. Nobody is forcing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

This is were i disagree

Marshalls aren't paid.

And the costs associated with the no shows?
    The break-even point of the event? Often not met until year 3 or 4 in many cases?

Look at the race numbers dropping around the country and races being cancelled this year, can be pretty sure it is because with 100 or 150 entries it is not hitting breakeven for a club event. Profit has to be made and race organisers have a business to run.

It never ceases to bemuse me how people always complain about race entry costs and have a go at race organiser and their 'profits'. They run a business. They have staff. They have to make money. That is what business is about.

If you can't afford it or don't want to afford it, don't pay it. If it is a race you really really want to do then pay the fee and cut back somewhere else.

catweazle wrote: »
    You get very stressed about the small money...

Amazing the lengths people will go to to save a few bob ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

ahhhh..ooo...ouch

Since when are clubs a business AKW

It s a great race ..great people etc etc etc....but why the fook should any club be entitled to make a profit. this is my issue. Race entry should be encouraging people into triathlon not puttting people off it. My bike club charge €40 for a 16 race bike league which is chipped!!!

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Amazing the lengths people will go to to save a few bob ;):D

boards.ie= amazing lengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ahhhh..ooo...ouch

It s a great race ..great people etc etc etc....but why the fook should any club be entitled to make a profit. this is my issue. Race entry should be encouraging people into triathlon not puttting people off it. My bike club charge €40 for a 16 race bike league which is chipped!!!

You want people to volunteer their time to have races run at cost so races are cheaper for you? With no reward for the volunteers.

Over the last four years what has been the average number of hours a year you volunteered for your club races?

Thought so.

tunney wrote: »
    You want people to volunteer their time to have races run at cost so races are cheaper for you? With no reward for the volunteers.

Over the last four years what has been the average number of hours a year you volunteered for your club races?

Thought so.

Huh..i haven't missed volunteering at my clubs tri in the last 5 years???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

This is were i disagree

Marshalls aren't paid.

They still had to budget for 260, regardless of the no show rate.
    I'm fully aware the marshals weren't paid, but they're club members who gave up 8 hours of their day, so this race could go ahead. It costs money to run a club. How on earth could you begrudge them any profit they made?

Huh..i haven't missed volunteering at my clubs tri in the last 5 years???

Pulse right? €15 euro for an aquathon. 750m swim, 5km run. You telling me thats at cost. Nope its not, massive money spinner there.

Pot and kettle

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    They still had to budget for 260, regardless of the no show rate.
    I'm fully aware the marshals weren't paid, but they're club members who gave up 8 hours of their day, so this race could go ahead. It costs money to run a club. How on earth could you begrudge them any profit they made?

Well this is were tri is all fooked up...go to kilkee...and transition will be a sea of colour...with the latest hoodies...tracksuits.cycle tops from clubs including my own. If your playing football you give your jersey back at the end of each game and your lucky if you get aclub tracksuit once every ten years....not sure about running clubs but i dont recall clubs decked out in the latest tracksuits.....its a farce.

ahhhh..ooo...ouch

Clubs are not a charity and even at that charities don't run loss making events.

Your issue is a club should not make any money from an event yet go to the hassle of organising it? Why would anyone in their right mind do that? Why should any club take a punt on organising an event in the hope that they get numbers on the day to make it worthwhile?

I agree with you that there should be something to encourage people into triathlon but at the same time the people complaining about events prices costs are not those that are new to triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

ahhhh..ooo...ouch

That league used to be €20. They doubled the entry fee for pretty much no added benefit. You also had to pay an additional €70(?) to CI specifically to race the league. Also, it's a club league - which are traditionally run by the members for the members. Completely different.

Well this is were tri is all fooked up...go to kilkee...and transition will be a sea of colour...with the latest hoodies...tracksuits.cycle tops from clubs including my own. If your playing football you give your jersey back at the end of each game and your lucky if you get aclub tracksuit once every ten years....not sure about running clubs but i dont recall clubs decked out in the latest tracksuits.....its a farce.

Jaysus you're in right form! :rolleyes:

So what you are saying is triathletes don't mind shelling out for gear? Last time I checked you buy club gear it's not handed out. And when I was playing football the headache of organising agreement for samples, sizing, design and getting money off lads who all wanted a tracksuit but not pay for it would put you off for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Do you really think €89 is too much to pay for a half? Or are you just defending your rant?

Seems like a good race at a fair price to me.

Jaysus you're in right form! :rolleyes:

So what you are saying is triathletes don't mind shelling out for gear? Last time I checked you buy club gear it's not handed out. And when I was playing football the headache of organising agreement for samples, sizing, design and getting money off lads who all wanted a tracksuit but not pay for it would put you off for life!

Flying :)

€65 for HOTW olympic....dont get me started ;)

Am going to get my snickers. U can all calm down now.

Unique in terms of the level of support and sponsorship IMO. Reputation, supply and demand could mean the club could charge 80/90/100 and still get a full field each year.

Either that or your own sub forum for ranting in ;)

Yet rumours would have you believe that HOTW lost money last year😲

Cant remember where I heard that or if there is any truth in it.

Unique in terms of the level of support and sponsorship IMO. Reputation, supply and demand could mean the club could charge 80/90/100 and still get a full field each year.

Either that or your own sub forum for ranting in ;)

Does the tri mentality sense of achievement from completing a tri. 'I am an ironman ' is it any way responsible for these prices ?

If the cost of HOTW was all in 40-50 euro, why shouldn't Limerick take the extra money and reinvest it in their club? Improve the training and facilities of their members. To do otherwise would be ridiculous. Your own club does it, why should other clubs.

Running a club costs money - the money either comes directly from members or from monetising an asset that they have - which is the time and experience of their members to put on a first class race.
    Does the tri mentality sense of achievement from completing a tri. 'I am an ironman ' is it any way responsible for these prices ?

For the >100 halfs, yes it is.

• Advertisement

Yet rumours would have you believe that HOTW lost money last year😲

Cant remember where I heard that or if there is any truth in it.

I think it was to do with the duathlon europeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I think it's a little ironic that it is this race (Tri an Mhi HIM) that is being picked on in terms of pricing. Tri an Mhi have been extremely progressive with this race IMHO with it being at the lower end of the HIM price scale (I certainly have never raced a cheaper half). They have also raised the bar in terms of prize money like no other race.

There certainly are races where you do not get value for money, but I don't think this is one of them.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I think it's a little ironic that it is this race (Tri an Mhi HIM) that is being picked on in terms of pricing. Tri an Mhi have been extremely progressive with this race IMHO with it being at the lower end of the HIM price scale (I certainly have never raced a cheaper half). They have also raised the bar in terms of prize money like no other race.

There certainly are races where you do not get value for money, but I don't think this is one of them.

whats the title of the thread? Have you read the full thread? Its a gripe with the prices of all tris in Ireland. Have repeated a few times i think its a great race apart from the price imo....
    I think a fair price for tris in ireland would be 30 for a sprint/40 for olympic and 50 for a half and i believe they could still be well run at these prices

whats the title of the thread? Have you read the full thread? Its a gripe with the prices of all tris in Ireland. Have repeated a few times i think its a great race apart from the price imo....
    I think a fair price for tris in ireland would be 30 for a sprint/40 for olympic and 50 for a half and i believe they could still be well run at these prices

There are variables that mean one price cant fit all events, different councils charge different fees, some locations need hire toilets, some need big numbers of marshals some need to feed people some don't. Picking a number from the sky and saying that's a fair price is just delusional.

The biggest variable of all is entry numbers, a 1000 entries at €30 could run a decent race depending on lots of things but try 150 or 200 or 250 all very different prospects and try it not knowing if you will get 100 or 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

The pricing structure even within TI races is a bit crazy but TI drive alot of this as there is no control or guidelines on pricing and mimimal support for promotion or organisation so clubs need to pick it up and this drives costs considerably, commerical races in the mix also make it difficult for club races to price competitively as these races have the sponsorship to throw freebies at competitors,competitors at a small club race for 200 people at €35 have the same expectation for goody bags as they do for the €95 -€150 . I would happily not have a goody bag at any event I attend and save 15% on the entry price but peoples expectations differ .

Profit is not a bad thing and without it I know my own club could not afford to run the 45week swim sessions we do as its subsidised heavily otherwise members would pay another 20% weekly for swim sessions .Add in subsidised coaching , tutorials, lectures supporting juniors etc the money raised from the races goes along way but is not long going. I think most clubs would hold a race even if they only made €1 .
    I also think we shouldnt mix up cost and value . I would happily pay €89 for a cracking event like Tri and Mhi over €40 for an event ran by people who shouldnt have a dog permit never mind a race permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

competitors at a small club race for 200 people at €35 have the same expectation for goody bags as they do for the €95 -€150

Apart from Dublin City Tri the best goodie bags I have got have been from the smaller club races like Lough Derg last year, think around 30euro for race and T shirt. Find the larger more commercial races give the least, like Athy, 60 euro and nothing, just a bag of flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

at the same time this is where i see bryans argument valid would be that why should somebody that does loads of races have to pay as much as somebody that does one race a year.
    and his point is i guess it would not hurt you much doing 10 cycling races but doing 10 tris is certainly a serious cost.
    I would agree with most that he is barking up the wrong tree (ie the cheapest race for a half in Ireland) but initially it was a race that cost 140 euro he talked about.

I do100% agree that clubs should make profits from races but would they make more profits if they give discounts to people that do more races and increase the entrance numbers ?

it is obvious for the people that race 1-3 times a year price seems not and obstical ( see 70.3 dublin) but for people that race frequently the entrance fee is being mentioned frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

peter kern wrote: »
    at the same time this is where i see bryans argument valid would be that why should somebody that does loads of races have to pay as much as somebody that does one race a year.

Refunds on a sliding scale for the faster half of entrants. Charge the slower entrants more (greater drain on resources), Winner pays nothing, slowest gets charged double. It's the fairest way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Refunds on a sliding scale for the faster half of entrants. Charge the slower entrants more (greater drain on resources), Winner pays nothing, slowest gets charged double. It's the fairest way :)

Double of nothing?? I think you should get yourself back to math school young man..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

BTH wrote: »
    Double of nothing?? I think you should get yourself back to math school young man..

100 entrants @ €50 entry each equals a pot of €5,000.

50th place finisher has paid his entry fee (par)
    51st place finisher pays €51 (so owes €1)
    49th place finisher pays €49 (so gets back €1)
    100th place finisher pays €100 (so owes €50)
    1st place finisher pays €1 (so gets back €49)

€50 tax goes to me for patenting the idea.

Advertisement