Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening newbie

Options
  • 16-06-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am getting plant pots built with left over decking board...........plan is to put plastic / polythene into the pot so soil does not leak out.

My question is will this sweat the soil or cause a build up of water??

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

You will need to put a drainage hole or two in the plastic and perhaps a layer of gravel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've built the same type of planter. Just drill holes in the plastic pots to let them drain 3or4 should do it. Put some stones around the holes to stop them getting blocked up

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

perfect thanks!!!

gravel on base and couple of holes doesn't sound to difficult!!!

Anyone any good recommendations for nice colourful potted plants?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Way to many to mention. Pop into any garden centre and buy what you like. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Yep, RA is smack on. Great selection in good garden centres at the moment.

There are some great Hydrangeas around at the moment btw. They do well in pots too, look out for the Black Diamonds range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Personally, I think annuals and small perennials are better suited to containers as you can change the display to suit the season, that is unless you want as little work as possible, then Japanese Acers are a good choice. Camellias are another favourite.
    Don't forget OP, that any plant in a container is totally dependent on you for food and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Thanks for all the info and advice. The below sentence is what I will need to remember :) Looks like I am plant shopping the weekend!

"Don't forget OP, that any plant in a container is totally dependent on you for food and drink. "

Advertisement