Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marquee Signing ?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Any chances of landing a BIG name this summer ?

We're the 5th best club in the Premier League and the London factor is huge.

Wouldn't it be nice to be genuinely excited about seeing a new proven top quality player in a Spurs shirt instead of mundane signings from the likes of Swansea or the MLS.

Who would be realistic here, I'm thinking along the lines of Dzeko, Schneiderlin etc....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Schneiderlin is a possibility, but only if a team above us don't go in for him. Other than that I can't see anyone else, getting a marquee signing without CL usually means throwing huge piles of cash at a player which will unsettle all the youngsters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

Any chances of landing a BIG name this summer ?

We're the 5th best club in the Premier League and the London factor is huge.

Wouldn't it be nice to be genuinely excited about seeing a new proven top quality player in a Spurs shirt instead of mundane signings from the likes of Swansea or the MLS.

Who would be realistic here, I'm thinking along the lines of Dzeko, Schneiderlin etc....

I cant say I would be in any way excited about Dzeko. Kane is better, in my opinion.

However, I agree. I would like to be excited by a new signing. It's difficult to know who's realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I agree it is a tough one, I think we have a good chance to sign the following types of players:

The best players at non Top 4 PL clubs
    (I'm thinking Song at West Ham, Benteke at Villa or Bojan at Stoke)

Surplus to requirements at bigger clubs
    (I'm thinking Salah, Remy or Marin at Chelsea, Dzeko at City)

European players looking for a move to PL that don't interest the top 4
    (I'm thinking Cabaye at PSG or maybe Llorente at Juve)

Of course there's always the old Spurs way of going relentlessly after a target and getting them (I'm thinking Gazza, Teddy, Klinsmann, Popescu etc....). This obviously isn't the ENIC model but it would generate a bit of excitement amongst the fans.

With the draw of London, the PL, European Football and big wages wI think there are very few that would dismiss Spurs out of hand as a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I agree it is a tough one, I think we have a good chance to sign the following types of players:

The best players at non Top 4 PL clubs
    (I'm thinking Song at West Ham, Benteke at Villa or Bojan at Stoke)

Surplus to requirements at bigger clubs
    (I'm thinking Salah, Remy or Marin at Chelsea, Dzeko at City)

European players looking for a move to PL that don't interest the top 4
    (I'm thinking Cabaye at PSG or maybe Llorente at Juve)

Of course there's always the old Spurs way of going relentlessly after a target and getting them (I'm thinking Gazza, Teddy, Klinsmann, Popescu etc....). This obviously isn't the ENIC model but it would generate a bit of excitement amongst the fans.

With the draw of London, the PL, European Football and big wages wI think there are very few that would dismiss Spurs out of hand as a good move.

Seems like you're actually talking about football DublinSpur, or is this an indirect way to complain about ENIC? I think Song or Bojan would be decent signings, depending on the size of Song's wages and Bojan's transfer fee. I'd love if we got Salah from Chelsea, but would they deal with us and at what cost? Wouldn't touch Marin with a bargepole. Dzeko is a good finisher but a bit of a Pavlyuchenko workrate wise. I've always liked Cabaye but someone here was saying he's been awful for PSG and is not the player he was before. Llorente is one of those names people like to throw out there. Only scored 9 goals in 45 games for Juve last season, albeit possibly a lot of sub appearances. He is 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

I would love to see Cabaye in a Spurs shirt, was by far the best midfielder Newcastle had in their team when he was there, he has premier league experience and think he is someone the likes of mason and bentaleb would benefit from.

Remy would be a good signing to partner Kane but I think Poch will stick to the 1 man up front formation so he would be good for pushing Kane for a starting position.

Bojan is definitely a good player but would we really need another player of his type?? We already have quite a few that play that forward line with Lamela, chadli, eriksen, pritchard coming in and delle ali will be back next season after loan. which I couldn't see him dislodging. I have a bit of faith in Lamela to come good next year and I hope he does. He was riddled with injuries first season and worked his way back into the team by starting to play decent ball near the end of this season. If he can build on that I think he will be like a new signing for us.

We do need to get in a new striker or two though to give Harry competition. Would love to get Benteke, he is one of the best in the league, he's young and so powerful to cause damage to any team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Saw someone on facebook dropping a few names and one of them was RVP.

Not sure what to think about that. Getting on a bit. Has injury record and he's ex scum but he could do a job for us as long as the contract isn't too long and the wages are resonable

Advertisement