Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.)

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

EPAndlee wrote: »
    'Bring the crunch' dlc is finally out

I'll wait for it to drop in price, not a game I'm mad to rush back into

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So i picked this up about 2 weeks ago for €20 and it came with the first one as downloadable. I never finished the first one (but I was about 2 hours away!) so I played the first again, finished it and went straight onto this, and I'm not impressed. TSoT was way better. I hate turn based combat, but TSoT made it bearable. Then they changed it all for TFbH, and I hate it. This lane craic is BS, as I'm on a tank build and 50% of the time I can't attach as I'm not facing someone in a straight line. It has ruined the game for me. I'll try and continue to play it (just done the second story mission for the cops), but i don't even have the remotest bit of interest in going back to it. Shame. If the combat was similar to the first one, I'd have no issue, but I just can't be dealing with this lane nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

So i picked this up about 2 weeks ago for €20 and it came with the first one as downloadable. I never finished the first one (but I was about 2 hours away!) so I played the first again, finished it and went straight onto this, and I'm not impressed. TSoT was way better. I hate turn based combat, but TSoT made it bearable. Then they changed it all for TFbH, and I hate it. This lane craic is BS, as I'm on a tank build and 50% of the time I can't attach as I'm not facing someone in a straight line. It has ruined the game for me. I'll try and continue to play it (just done the second story mission for the cops), but i don't even have the remotest bit of interest in going back to it. Shame. If the combat was similar to the first one, I'd have no issue, but I just can't be dealing with this lane nonsense!

You're not stuck with that class. You can change and combine them later on, and mix and match allies so they can cover more ground. I used Wendy who had some good area attacks a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

chrislad wrote: »
    You're not stuck with that class. You can change and combine them later on, and mix and match allies so they can cover more ground. I used Wendy who had some good area attacks a bit.

Yeah, it can be changed alright but I found that process a bit clunky.

I much preferred the "pickup an awesome weapon and use straight away" approach!

The one thing with the DLC - if the story is amazing then I might just go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It does take a while to get used to, and I agree the combat (and the game overall tbh) isn't as good as TSOT, but once you unlock more classes, buddies and moves, the combat does improve a lot, and you get more used to positioning yourself and buddies to cause the most damage.

That said, there are combinations of powers etc that make the game a complete walkover.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I have 2 classes now, but they're both melee focussed, and the aoe attacks are meh at best. I usually have other melee classes in my group too, and find it hard to pick ones with decent aoe attacks. What annoys me is that some of the direct attacks, such as Superclydes move, goes through my own characters, but my own similar attack won't, need a clear path. I'll probably start it again if I get bored of NMS, just to see what happens.

I had the overpowered bit down to a T on TSOT, get the advantage, use my own special move, then use Professor Chaos and I was able to stop his hammer on the one that stuns them for 2 rounds, drink a PP and repeat. Simples if not monotonous.

I think you can put it on the easiest difficulty level to breeze through the fights

I think you can put it on the easiest difficulty level to breeze through the fights

It's not the difficulty, it's not being able to attack because i'm not on the right square. Is this a new type of turn based fighting or have all turn based games had this? I don't usually play turn based so it's my first time encountering this lane craic (aside from MechWarrior (I think) but I never finished those, and they had decent aoe attacks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

It's not the difficulty, it's not being able to attack because i'm not on the right square. Is this a new type of turn based fighting or have all turn based games had this? I don't usually play turn based so it's my first time encountering this lane craic (aside from MechWarrior (I think) but I never finished those, and they had decent aoe attacks).

You do know you can move, right? :)
    chrislad wrote: »

Yeah, Wendy is OP, the fact she can hit any opponent wherever they are is a very useful asset to have

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I gave up at the strip club, got so bored of it, the combat is really annoying. Must install it again and get through to the end. Some hilarious bits bit not as good as TSOT imo.

• Advertisement

I know I can move, but usually after the first 2 or 3 turns, there is one of my fighters directly in front of one of the enemies, and I can't use my own character to get in and attack. Like Zero-Cool is saying, the combat is really annoying and if it was like TSOT, I would still be playing it. Now, I have no interest in going back to it.

I know I can move, but usually after the first 2 or 3 turns, there is one of my fighters directly in front of one of the enemies, and I can't use my own character to get in and attack. Like Zero-Cool is saying, the combat is really annoying and if it was like TSOT, I would still be playing it. Now, I have no interest in going back to it.

I even like turn based combat and found this game to be a chore

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's why you need to have a variety of moves to help do long range damage too, or moves which can jump you over people. Same with using your buddies attacks for the same.

But I get that if you just have no interest in going back to, that's fair enough. It is understandable as its very different to the first game.

Anyway, I completed the newest DLC last night. It was okay, nothing hectic in it. Last fight was tough enough but nothing extreme.

I'd be less interested in a sequel than I was after the first game. The humour just really didn't do anything for me this time round compared to the first game. This was a lot tamer and more bland in terms of enemies and attacks. It'll be interesting to see if they bother with another game. This probably sold well enough but given the delays in release, it may not have done well enough overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

Played Stick of Truth back in the ps3 when it was released and loved it . Tempted buy it again or buy this ? How good is it ?

brady12 wrote: »
    Played Stick of Truth back in the ps3 when it was released and loved it . Tempted buy it again or buy this ? How good is it ?

Some people will come along and tell you it's better, but I couldn't finish it. I don't like turn based games, but I managed to get through SoT, and they changed it for TFBW and made it far worse imo. Shame, game seemed good but the fighting was ruined for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agree with above. Loved the first one, couldn't finish the 2nd one. Fair play they tried a new combat system but it never clicked with me and i ended up hating getting into fights. I much preferred the super hero theme over the Fantasy of the first but the stick if truth nailed it's jokes way better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I preferred the first as well but still enjoyed the fractured but whole.

Advertisement