Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.)

Options

Comments

Penn wrote: »
    I'm a bit torn on the combat. Having to move around for attacks definitely adds a new element to it, but since you no longer have to use weapons, and stickers to improve your gear and weapons to add status effects etc, it's feeling a bit bland. I've barely paid any attention to anything I've collected because it seems like it's all just used for recipes and stuff.

I'm still early enough in the game anyway and just unlocked artifacts which I guess are the replacement for the stickers & weapons, so I'll keep belting away anyway.

Game is great so far anyway. Some really funny moments.

Yeah I'm not really impressed with the looting. I hate crafting. I'm only an hour in but the world feels empty because its just crafting ingredients everywhere. I'm not really arsed checking every room for useless stuff like that. Combat is strange. I like the added complexity but are you given all your abilities from the very start? Surely not, but all my characters seem to have four abilities each already. There's a few too many "collect them all" quests so far (well just two). I think I'll plow through the main quest and see if I'm arsed coming back for the rest afterwards. I was arsed in TSOT so here's hoping it keeps my attention. I'm loving the game regardless; really enjoying the character interactions and potential of whats to come. Your characters back story and Melvin were great.

I went for a black character. I've yet to notice any further difficulty. Maybe that slider was just a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I'm not really impressed with the looting. I hate crafting. I'm only an hour in but the world feels empty because its just crafting ingredients everywhere. I'm not really arsed checking every room for useless stuff like that. Combat is strange. I like the added complexity but are you given all your abilities from the very start? Surely not, but all my characters seem to have four abilities each already. There's a few too many "collect them all" quests so far (well just two). I think I'll plow through the main quest and see if I'm arsed coming back for the rest afterwards. I was arsed in TSOT so here's hoping it keeps my attention. I'm loving the game regardless; really enjoying the character interactions and potential of whats to come. Your characters back story and Melvin were great.

I went for a black character. I've yet to notice any further difficulty. Maybe that slider was just a joke?

I think they confirmed it was just a joke. That being said, after visiting Mr.Mackay in the school
    I said my character was transgender and got attacked by a load of rednecks after leaving the school. But I assume you get attacked by a different group regardless of whichever you pick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I think they confirmed it was just a joke. That being said, after visiting Mr.Mackay in the school
    I said my character was transgender and got attacked by a load of rednecks after leaving the school. But I assume you get attacked by a different group regardless of whichever you pick

Yeah, you do. Which is funny because:
    I went with a straight cisgendered male and to hear the rednecks saying they don't take to my kind around here was funny! :D

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah, you do. Which is funny because:
    I went with a straight cisgendered male and to hear the rednecks saying they don't take to my kind around here was funny! :D
    Really? I assumed it'd just be a different group, like maybe PC Bros attacking you for saying you're straight & cisgender because there's nothing wrong with being trans or something. Makes no odds I suppose. I only went with trans to see how it'll throw up different dialogue throughout the game.

Make sure you gross out token in a fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Way too much useless collectibles. The game is full of skins. Was the first one like this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Way too much useless collectibles. The game is full of skins. Was the first one like this?

No, the way too much useless collectibles in the first were Chinpokomon, instead of skins. You can the see the box of them dumped in a box in someone's garage at the start of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Spear wrote: »
    You can the see the box of them dumped in a box in someone's garage at the start of the game.

I thought that was gas when I saw it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's much safer than sot. I'm not far into it but have visited the church, school, police station, every house I've come across, etc but it feels much tamer than the last game so far. The scrap and items in the game are very boring, I've stopped looking at what I'm even picking up anymore.

The combat is.... Different. It's more complex than sot but since fights go on longer than they should.

Need to lash into it a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My friend got me this game (as an apology for getting my LOL account that I lend him banned).
    Downloaded it last night, looking forward to giving it a go.

Really enjoyed the first one. Anyone know how long it is....10 hours ? more ?

I've read its longer than the original. I'm 6 hours in and still feel like the main quest hasn't got goingyet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I finished this last night and it is definitely a lot longer than The Stick of Truth. Great game though, I thoroughly enjoyed it despite some niggling flaws.

In case anyone on PC suffers from the bug where a NPC or your character can't/won't take its turn, press Alt + Esc to switch to Windows desktop and then go back into the game. It forces the turn to be taken. This became a serious issue facing the
    'Many Assed Cats in Mephisto's Lab
    . Somehow I managed to discover the solution and it has worked for me and others. Hopefully, it will be fixed by UbiSoft in the first patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

This game is just getting funnier as it's going on,
    the fight in the old folks home, "the vigilante wants to take our Percocet"
    had me in tears.

Yeah it took a while but finally the enemy types are becoming much more varied as you progress and requiring different tactics
    (the ninjas who can summon more ninjas, Raisin girls using Charm etc)
    . Plus the story and some of the things you come across are becoming more "South Park", as everything just felt so ordinary and phoned in for the first few hours of the game. Enjoying it a lot more now.

One particular boss fight was the f*cking darkest humour I think I've ever seen in a video game
    Jared the Subway Guy... Holy sh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is it worth getting the gold edition of this or should i just pick up cheapest version i can find (Which is where? ha)

One particular boss fight was the f*cking darkest humour I think I've ever seen in a video game
    Jared the Subway Guy... Holy sh*t...
    He grabbed my proboscis!
    :D

Is it worth getting the gold edition of this or should i just pick up cheapest version i can find (Which is where? ha)

Gold Edition just has the season pass, so future DLC. The names and synopsis of the DLCs have been announced but no idea on quality or what they'll add to the game, so hard to tell if it's worth it or not. If you played and liked Stick of Truth I'd say go for it (which is what I did). If it's your first South Park game, probably best stick to the vanilla edition and see if you like it first.

I'm rather underwhelmed by this game. I really wanted to like it. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Perhaps if I did care for crafting and skins I'd feel differently.

It's more of the same but at a lower, more drawn out quality.

The battles while appearing more complex are just longer.

Far too many of the quests are needlessly time consuming revolving around collecting useless items (selfies, anime posters, that detective's photo, toilet minigame). I completely stopped doing the toilet minigames as I couldn't be bothered. It's the same thing ever time and for what? Just to get a +1 to the quest? Same with the selfies. The thought of having to get one with every single person is frustrating to say the least.

Worst of all is how this game rewards you along the way; the items are absolutely terrible. Five common crafting items and useless skins. What the **** were they thinking. I see one of those little windmill icons that I can use to fly up onto a roof to get a bag. But what's the point? To get some ****ty skin or nameless crafting item? I've completely lost the desire to explore. I've literally walked past things like that as I couldn't be bothered sitting through the process of farting up there. If anyone claims that optional cosmetics don't ruin games and they are just a player choice, this game is a perfect argument against that.

The story flows quite poorly. You travel around for half the game to rather unconnected locations until it gets going.

It's only saving grace is it's humour which can still be hit and miss. I've had enough of fart jokes by now. I'll finish it this off but unless something dramatically changes, I won't be getting any sequels.

I'm rather underwhelmed by this game. I really wanted to like it. Perhaps my expectations were too high. Perhaps if I did care for crafting and skins I'd feel differently.

It's more of the same but at a lower, more drawn out quality.

The battles while appearing more complex are just longer.

Far too many of the quests are needlessly time consuming revolving around collecting useless items (selfies, anime posters, that detective's photo, toilet minigame). I completely stopped doing the toilet minigames as I couldn't be bothered. It's the same thing ever time and for what? Just to get a +1 to the quest? Same with the selfies. The thought of having to get one with every single person is frustrating to say the least.

Worst of all is how this game rewards you along the way; the items are absolutely terrible. Five common crafting items and useless skins. What the **** were they thinking. I see one of those little windmill icons that I can use to fly up onto a roof to get a bag. But what's the point? To get some ****ty skin or nameless crafting item? I've completely lost the desire to explore. I've literally walked past things like that as I couldn't be bothered sitting through the process of farting up there. If anyone claims that optional cosmetics don't ruin games and they are just a player choice, this game is a perfect argument against that.

The story flows quite poorly. You travel around for half the game to rather unconnected locations until it gets going.

It's only saving grace is it's humour which can still be hit and miss. I've had enough of fart jokes by now. I'll finish it this off but unless something dramatically changes, I won't be getting any sequels.

I do think they messed up by changing the system from the last game where your clothing and items have stats and you can apply stickers to make them more powerful etc. I get that they removed weapons in favour of being able to pick and choose powers at will, but they should have at least kept it for clothes. The artifacts and crafting systems are a poor replacement which interest me very little, doing it out of necessity rather than trying to find a good balance whenever I pick up something new.

It does take a while for the story to get going too, but having finished it last night, I enjoyed it. Picked up a lot towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

I enjoyed the combat system more so in TFBH, seemed somewhat more varied as it did get more tedious the more you progressed in the SOT but I agree 100% correct about the crafting system and skins hopefully they just abolish that idea in the third instalment.

Cant see myself loving it as much as the SOT as that felt more light-hearted... reminded me more of the older episodes at there best but I am enjoying TFBH all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MARKone84

What a title for a video game!!

Having not played the SoT, I can't make that comparison buy I'm loving this game. It started off good but it did take a little dip but I kinda viewed this as their way of letting you come to grips with the game.

After a few hours it picked back up and has been well paced since, I'm not finished but I've completed the
    Timmy battle
    so I don't think there's a lot left. I wouldn't generally play games using this combat system and while it started of pretty basic, the depth now is very surprising, I have my classes, attacks, artifacts and all bonuses in sync. The available options are vast so for people experienced in this I'd say they are also pretty content.

I'm playing on herioc (normal) and have only had to redo a few major battles so you might need to crank the difficulty up to get the most out of the combat system.

Beat
    Morgan Freeman
    last night. Was a tough fight the first time I fought him as I went in with completely the wrong strategy, team and powers. After reading a few quick tips online, ended up being a lot easier (though still tricky) than I thought. Never even knew about the Timefart Summon power. Really wish I'd had that earlier in the game.

Might go for the Platinum. Wouldn't mind trying things out in different ways as, as with SoT, I tended to rely on the same powers and tactics for most of the game. I think after I collect everything and do all the side stuff, the only trophies left would be play as a black character and defeat the game on hardest difficulty, so would only have to play through the story stuff then and now worry about collecting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Finished this last night and really enjoyed it. Took 19 hours in total.

I'd imagine, even going as fast as possible, and according to HLTB, that it would take 14 hours to replay it as a Black character for the Trophy/Platinum.

Can't see myself doing tbh, just not worth it right now, maybe in a year or two.

Will get a few of the trophies I missed, might leave the toilet mini-game one out too, as tbh I din't really understand some of what the f**k i'm meant to be doing there

I'd imagine, even going as fast as possible, and according to HLTB, that it would take 14 hours to replay it as a Black character for the Trophy/Platinum.

Can't see myself doing tbh, just not worth it right now, maybe in a year or two.

Will get a few of the trophies I missed, might leave the toilet mini-game one out too, as tbh I din't really understand some of what the f**k i'm meant to be doing there

Yeah some of them I'm not sure if you're meant to hold the button/stick etc. It wasn't really too well implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hold on, I only started this properly last night!
    Left the "difficulty" slider where it was by default.
    Do I have to do 2 play throughs to 100%?
    I don't really mind about achievements, as it's only on Uplay. And nobody gives a shíte about Uplay achievements :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There is a trophy/achievement for playing the entire game as a Black character and having the game on Mastermind difficulty. I did neither

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/6749-south-park-the-fractured-but-whole/7-the-token-experience

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah some of them I'm not sure if you're meant to hold the button/stick etc. It wasn't really too well implemented.

If there's arrows either side you wiggle, if it's flashing you bash the button and if it's arrows going around you just rotate the analogue sticks in that direction.

If you want to 100% just go with black/mastermind from the off, That's what I've done and it's not been difficult at ll. Think I only had to retry one fight yet (
    spontaneous bootay
    ). Difficulty could ramp up yet though I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There is a trophy/achievement for playing the entire game as a Black character and having the game on Mastermind difficulty. I did neither

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/6749-south-park-the-fractured-but-whole/7-the-token-experience

Nuts to that!
    I always play games on the lowest difficulty.
    I'm a hardcore casual :D

Advertisement