Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I change my course preference based on predicted points?

• 16-06-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I had applied for Computer Science UCD as my first preference on CAO which had an entry requirement of 470 in the past year, I have a strong feeling that I got lower than 470 and perhaps got about 425, furthermore I did OL math which probably reduced by chances by a huge amount.

Since there are only 105 spaces open for the course, reckon it would be a good idea for me to just change my preference order?

(please don't say "you never really know how things might turn out" because I'm pretty confident I got less than 470)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Why don't you just leave it as your first choice just in case? I don't see the point in taking it off if it's the course you want. You'll still get offered a lower choice anyway if you don't get the points, what difference would it make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

No, no, never. :p You have absolutely nothing to lose by leaving it as your first choice. If you don't have enough points for it but do for your second choice, the CAO for the first round will treat it as your first choice and offer you it, regardless of what's above it. I know you say you're fairly confident but you honestly never know, think of subjects like English where grades can fluctuate so much depending on your examiner.

Looking purely at the merits of the decision, removing it would have absolutely no positive impact on your life, and could quite possibly have a negative one. Don't do it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No because if you don't get offered your first choice you'll get something lower down your list. So it doesn't change things. If you change it now and you end up getting 485 (and the course is 470) you'll be kicking yourself if you put something else as your first choice in August and will post the same on the CAO offers thread.

You don't know if you got 470. It's not possible to predict exactly how you will get on in 7 exams. You don't know how they will be marked. You don't know how other students got on who have applied for this course. You don't know how many people applied for this course.

You basically have no information. If you still want to do this course, leave it as your first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

But let's say for instance that my second choice is Maynooth and there are only 123 places left and 200 people choose Maynooth as their 1st choice and I miss my first choice at UCD. So now I'm at my second choice Maynooth, and have more points than required for their course, will I get as much chance of entry as the 200 students who set Maynooth as their 1st choice? ( let's say 120 out of 200 got more than required points and the rest got exactly the amount of required points)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Luno wrote: »
    You are getting confused between second rounds and second choices I think? If you don't get your first choice it instantly rolls over to your next? There is no preference for first choice, the system does not work like that.

Yeh I am probably getting confused, I've never understood CAO system. I'll just take everyone's word and assume I'll be grand Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tet2015 wrote: »
    But let's say for instance that my second choice is Maynooth and there are only 123 places left and 200 people choose Maynooth as their 1st choice and I miss my first choice at UCD. So now I'm at my second choice Maynooth, and have more points than required for their course, will I get as much chance of entry as the 200 students who set Maynooth as their 1st choice? ( let's say 120 out of 200 got more than required points and the rest got exactly the amount of required points)

When you apply for the CAO you are put onto the list for every course that you apply for. So is everyone else.

When the results are released they are sent to the CAO. They enter your results and listed are compiled with everyone ranked by points for every course , you are on the list for every course you have applied for. At this point anyone who didn't meet the entry requirements would be removed, e.g. failed maths, didn't get a C3 in french or whatever.

So lets day you apply for Computer Science in Trinity first, Computer Science in Maynooth second and Computer Science in UCC third.

There are 100 places in each course. Well if you are in position no 97 on the Trinity list, no 65 in Maynooth and No 1 in UCC, you are eligible for all three courses. They look to see which of those was your highest preference, they see that it is Trinity, so they offer you that place and they remove you from the Maynooth and UCC lists. Everyone on each of those lists moves up a spot and the person who was no 101 for each of Maynooth and UCC now makes it into the eligible places.

This is why you HAVE to put your courses in order of preference not points. Person no. 100 on the list has the lowest points for the course and that is the no. of points published by the CAO. That is why in the second round you see points drop sometimes because students refuse the places they have been offered so they move to the next person on the list.

EDIT: I think the CAO is an amazing system considering that about 60,000 people sit the Leaving Cert. Students who have previously sat the Leaving Cert can apply for the CAO at any time. Students who have repeated the LC may have multiple sets of LC results to apply with. Mature students can apply. FETAC students can apply. A-level students and students from other countries can apply. Students can pick up to 20 courses, between their Level 8 and Level 6/7 list. That's a whole lot of students on a whole lot of lists. The LC results are published on a Wednesday and students receive their CAO offers on a Monday, and it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The cao might be good but I am pretty sure that we broke boards.ie when pics of the newspaper were posted here last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Since there are only 105 spaces open for the course, reckon it would be a good idea for me to just change my preference order?
    No.

Never take off the course you want, or move it down the list because you "won't get the points".

Yoo don't know what points you will get; you don't know what the points will be.

Just make sure sure your no. 2, no. 3, etc., choices are in the right order, that's all.
    So now I'm at my second choice Maynooth, and have more points than required for their course, will I get as much chance of entry as the 200 students who set Maynooth as their 1st choice?
    Where does this one come from every year? :pac:

Whether you have a course at No. 1 or No. 10 is totally irrelevant, the only things which are relevant are 1) do you have the course requirements; and 2) do you have the points?
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The cao might be good but I am pretty sure that we broke boards.ie when pics of the newspaper were posted here last year.
    Meh, they get posted every year, boards hiccups, pulls up its socks and gets on with the job! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Think enough people have said it now, but just to reinforce it, because so many people do it each year, never base your cao courses on what you think you will get in the leaving. BASE THEM ON WHAT YOU PREFER MOST! That has been said over and over again around here, think there's a sticky with it somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

NEVER change based on points.

You'd be surprised how many people that bites in the *ss every year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement