Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

power output question

• 16-06-2015 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

The Garmin vector pedals for measuring power output are on my radar.

At present though i'm only thinking of the single pedal option which is on the non drive left side. My issue is that following a bad injury a few years back, I have less than 40% left-hamstring uplift on a pedal stroke.

my question is whether this would lead to a skewed power calculation overall as i overcompensate with my right leg and the downstroke of the left leg.

I suppose the question in really whether the garmin pedal as such is made for only athletes of equal limb quality and control - i haven't found answers to this on their site and I await their email response. would getting just one pedal be a waste.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You don't need accuracy, only consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lumen wrote: »

Ah Lumen...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

But isn't he actually right? As long as the pm is consistent, why does matter if the 100watt is actually 60 or 140?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

do a 20 min FTP test (or a 16k TT at what you think if your hardest) when you get the pedal setup, i.e. torque'd at 34-40 Nm. base your training off that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lumen wrote: »

only if you are comparing who has the biggest eh ............ wattage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

thekooman wrote: »
    do a 20 min FTP test (or a 16k TT at what you think if your hardest) when you get the pedal setup, i.e. torque'd at 34-40 Nm. base your training off that.

you'll need to explain the last bit "torqued at 34/40 NM" please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

godtabh wrote: »
    only if you are comparing who has the biggest eh ............ wattage

Still don't get it do you?

Plenty of threads on this. Expected more from Lumen, not so you.

Anyways.........

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    you'll need to explain the last bit "torqued at 34/40 NM" please?

The pedals need to be correctly installed or the give dodgy readings

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The issue is indeed consistency. If there is an imbalance, a one-leg only powermeter is only useful if the imbalance remains the same across the entire range of power output and across the entire fatigue profile, i.e. if its the same at the beginning of the ride as it is at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I've got the set of pedals and the Torque wrench is essential to ensure you are getting accurate readings if you move them between bikes. I move them between two road bikes/TT bike and can only have confidence in the consistency of the numbers when using a tourqe wrench. This is particularly important for pacing in TT's or longer climbs.

On the question of one sided, I guess consistency is most important and you may get that through one pedal but I paid that bit extra to get total accuracy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement