Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh curry leaves - how much is enough?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Never tried curry leaves before. I've used fresh Kaffir lime leaves in Thai style curries but this is an Indian style lamb keema curry with 1lb minced lamb.

I was surprised and delighted to see fresh curry leaves and bought them but I'm unsure how many to use and when to add also whether to chop them.

The basic curry is currently simmering.

Help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I would generally throw in a half handful when I am frying my spices at the start. Strong heat helps bring out the flavour.

No harm in putting in the same amount while the curry is already going, however, you may not get the fully curry leaf flavour. I wouldn't bother chopping them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I would generally throw in a half handful when I am frying my spices at the start. Strong heat helps bring out the flavour.

No harm in putting in the same amount while the curry is already going, however, you may not get the fully curry leaf flavour. I wouldn't bother chopping them myself.

Thanks, Hillbilly. I'll do that next time. Tonight, since time's run away with me I'll fry the leaves at the end with some black mustard seeds in a bit of ghee - something I read elsewhere. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Good idea. Hope it went well.

Advertisement