Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage potential while on probation

Options
  • 16-06-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

While i think i know the answer, its still worth asking the question.

My OH is full time employed and permanent. I have contracted to my work place for 2.5years, and have now been successfully made permanent - but on 12 month probation as per organisations policy.

We met with a mortgage broker, and apparently tick all the boxes and are in a strong position, except for my probation being a rather large stumbling block. The only bank the broker couldnt approach was BoI. This is who we both bank with, and have a good history with.

So in short, and given the above, have we any shot at a mortgage? Just wanna ask the question here before investing any further time into it.

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note Moving to banking. Hopefully someone with more knowledge available to offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Paulw wrote: »
    Mod Note Moving to banking. Hopefully someone with more knowledge available to offer advice.

Cheers Paulw.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

budhabob wrote: »
    Hi all,

While i think i know the answer, its still worth asking the question.

My OH is full time employed and permanent. I have contracted to my work place for 2.5years, and have now been successfully made permanent - but on 12 month probation as per organisations policy.

We met with a mortgage broker, and apparently tick all the boxes and are in a strong position, except for my probation being a rather large stumbling block. The only bank the broker couldnt approach was BoI. This is who we both bank with, and have a good history with.

So in short, and given the above, have we any shot at a mortgage? Just wanna ask the question here before investing any further time into it.

Thanks in Advance.

Just went through this process ourselves. Very very similar situation .

I've been permanent for a number of years but my OH was a contractor for 15 months. She was then made permanent.

4 months into her probation BOI inquired if we were thinking about a mortgage. We were, but thought it pointless because of the probation. We meet with a mortgage adviser and were told it wouldn't be a problem based on the company and industry she was employed in. So I think they do have some criteria with this regard.

A few weeks later we were approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're less concerned with probation and more concerned with length of service. If you've been there 6 months and are subject to a 12 months probation, it'll hurt you. But if you've been there two years and are subject to probation because of a change in contract, it's less of an issue.

gl0Rob wrote: »
    Just went through this process ourselves. Very very similar situation .

I've been permanent for a number of years but my OH was a contractor for 15 months. She was then made permanent.

4 months into her probation BOI inquired if we were thinking about a mortgage. We were, but thought it pointless because of the probation. We meet with a mortgage adviser and were told it wouldn't be a problem based on the company and industry she was employed in. So I think they do have some criteria with this regard.

A few weeks later we were approved.

This is very relevant, as the industry / role I am in would be very stable. This has given me some hope, many thanks.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    They're less concerned with probation and more concerned with length of service. If you've been there 6 months and are subject to a 12 months probation, it'll hurt you. But if you've been there two years and are subject to probation because of a change in contract, it's less of an issue.

Thank you. This is reassuring. Next step.....contact the bank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Each application is looked at on a case by case basis and each lender would have slight variations in their lending criteria so BOI may be willing to approve you based on being with your employer for a number of years before being given a permanent role, albeit with a 12 month probationary period. They are also offering a nice 2% of the purchase price of your home back once your mortgage closes so definitely worth looking in to.

PaulM

Advertisement