Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denis O'Brien suing the country

• 16-06-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

http://indo.ie/OnQdZ

so first he silenced the media, failed to silence social media and now is taking legal action against the state. One man shouldn't have so much power.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Not the country, only the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

anyone can sue the state

the Courts will either agree with him or won't...same as anyone

as shown recently the Courts decided the Dail reports could be reported on by media, so it isn't like he always gets his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Why?

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Hopefully he gets his a*se handed to him by the court.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Why not?

For what reason officially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Riskymove wrote: »
    anyone can sue the state

the Courts will either agree with him or won't...same as anyone

as shown recently the Courts decided the Dail reports could be reported on by media, so it isn't like he always gets his way

Can anyone sue the state? Or is it just anyone with money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people aren't happy unless they're involved in some court proceeding or other.

jobeenfitz wrote: »

anyone

obviously money can help but lots of disadvantaged people have sued the state

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

shane7218 wrote: »
    http://indo.ie/OnQdZ

so first he silenced the media, failed to silence social media and now is taking legal action against the state. One man shouldn't have so much power.

So basically he wants to screw the taxpayers.
    Hasn't he form in this regard.
    After all he did leg it to Malta to avoid contributing as a taxpayer.
    biko wrote: »
    Some people aren't happy unless they're involved in some court proceeding or other.

His lawyers must love him.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Like judges

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

What an arrogant pr1ck. Friends in high places not helping him out enough so he sues them. The tax exile cnut should be banned from the country.

Ironically he is suing the state for intervening in another court case he has on the go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

What an arrogant pr1ck. Friends in high places not helping him out enough so he sues them. The tax exile cnut should be banned from the country.
    & his citizenship revoked :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

You'd think with all the cash he's saved from his numerous scams he would sort out a decent barnet for himself, the state of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Anyone can. I myself have sued the State, the United Nations, that funny-looking geezer wot runs the ECB, the Intergalactic Quorum of Twelve Elder Poltroons, and God. My solicitor is a bit mental Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hope he wins . Shouldn't have gombeens spewing any old rubbish and potentially ruining peoples reputations at will.
    Mary lou take note

Ironically he is suing the state for intervening in another court case he has on the go

This is getting terribly complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

kneemos wrote: »
    Hope he wins . Shouldn't have gombeens spewing any old rubbish and potentially ruining peoples reputations at will.
    Mary lou take note

+1.

However, if he wins, it'll be "rabble rabble, corrupt judges, rabble rabble," etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Mary lou take note

Look up the meaning of gombeen will you?

After you have done that you might realise it applies more to Dirty Denis and Filthy Gael. And no, I don't give a flying you-know-what about S.F, Mary Lou , 32 counties or the rest of the crap so don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Talk about biting the hand trough that feeds you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Hopefully he gets his a*se handed to him by the court.

even if the state has wronged him.
    I dislike o'brien as much as the next man but he is entitled to protection under the law like anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Mary lou take note

Ah yea his reputation is in tatters now. We all thought so highly of him a few weeks back before deputy Murphy went on the record...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I'm going to sue the country. Everybody. Yes, even you, who is reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Not the country, only the state.

If he wins he will effectively be suing the country since any money he's awarded will be taxpayer money, not to mention the money the State will fork out on legal fees.

anyone

obviously money can help but lots of disadvantaged people have sued the state
    Money "can help"?

Does boards.ie have an 'understatement of the day' feature?

If he wins he will effectively be suing the country since any money he's awarded will be taxpayer money, not to mention the money the State will fork out on legal fees.

Well it'll make a change from HSE hatchet-merchants costing tens of millions per fcuk-up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Next on Waterford Whispers News "Denis O'Brien issues proceedings against the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission, Ireland, the Attorney General, The Sky, Gaia and Kthulu"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

arayess wrote: »
    even if the state has wronged him.
    I dislike o'brien as much as the next man but he is entitled to protection under the law like anybody.

Whether he has or hasn't been wronged, previous statements by his solicitor indicate he believes he's above the law i.e. stressing his job creation record, as if it was relevant to the Dail statements. Due process has to happen, but I hope he loses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Next Waterford Whispers headline (because we know it will never happen): "State/DPP opens investigation into Moriarty Tribunal findings, and sues Denis O'Brien"

...stressing his job creation record...

I once got six billion Euro from some half-assed bank that had completely lost the run of themselves after the Germans flooded the place with cheap money - I think the lending officer was on cocaine or something when I played golf with him - and then I hired two hundred youngfellas on a salary of €30,000 each. I put them into a field with instructions to scratch their left one, wait ten seconds, then scratch their right one, wait ten seconds, then repeat the cycle. They were to do that from 8am to 4pm five days a week. This went on for eight years - overheads, dontcherknow - until the whole scam came crashing down and my hitherto reputation as a Great-Job-Creatin'-Fellamechappie became mud. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

From the BreakingNews article...
    Denis O'Brien has issued legal proceedings against the houses of the Oireachtas and the State in relation to Dail comments about his banking arrangements with State-owned IBRC.
    The comments, made by TDs Catherine Murphy and Pearse Doherty, followed a High Court injunction stopping RTE broadcasting information about the businessman's dealings with the nationalised bank.

Mr O'Brien's barrister Michael Cush today told High Court President Nicholas Kearns that his client wants to establish the 'correct demarcation between the role of the Oireachtas and the courts'.

So in other words, it seems FG's Uncle Denis is trying again to dictate what democratically elected TD's can say under Dail privilege.

Better wave bye bye to Enda again for a few days as well I'm guessing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

On what basis? Doesn't Dail privilege like other parliamentary privileges protect against things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

steddyeddy wrote: »
    On what basis? Doesn't Dail privilege like other parliamentary privileges protect against things like this.

Hopefully so, has anyone ever tested Dail Privilege like this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've noticed something else as well in the last few weeks... ANY DOB (or even vaguely related to him) report that's posted on news sites now seems to have the Comments disabled by default.

Seems that regardless of the verdict that allowed media to broadcast the comments made in the Dail, O'Brien has achieved his aim anyway!

Isn't there legal action against O Brein relating to his inappropriate receipt of the Digicell license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A moron of the highest order.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Hopefully so, has anyone ever tested Dail Privilege like this before?

I think Parliamentary privilege in the UK was tested. I'll try to dig it up.

• Advertisement

Isn't there legal action against O Brein relating to his inappropriate receipt of the Digicell license?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/substantial-risks-for-the-state-and-the-plaintiffs-in-allowing-cases-to-proceed-1.538237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Mary lou take note

What reputation would that be? His reputation has been in the toilet since Moriarty, but of course this being Ireland, he was/is free to carry on as normal.

jimgoose wrote: »

Thanks, that seems very interesting. I didn't like this part though

The evidence heard by the Moriarty tribunal and the conclusions reached by that tribunal cannot be used as evidence in any High Court case taken by the plaintiffs.

Lol what was the tribunal for? On the plus side they can call witnesses who were present at the tribunal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

I have a pain in my hoop from listening to the news about Denis O Brien running to the fcuking high court..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Dinny hasn't sued me yet. I feel left out and unloved. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Mary lou take note

When are you on in the Comedy club again ?

I always thought the gombeens were the ones with their heads so far up some others ar**es that they could analyse their tonsils.

Shhhhhhh.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

hardCopy wrote: »
    Next on Waterford Whispers News "Denis O'Brien issues proceedings against the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission, Ireland, the Attorney General, The Sky, Gaia and Kthulu"

You mis-spelled Cthulhu
    This means when he gets the summons, he can ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You'd think with all the cash he's saved from his numerous scams he would sort out a decent barnet for himself, the state of him!

There's a rather disconcerting bang of Big Tom off that head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

I agree with the senatiment but not the message,His friends are helping him Enda and co will be hoping he wins this case,Dig deep enough into O'brien and you will find enda kenny staring back at you.....with brown stuff on his face smelling like a public toilet at 2 am on a saturday night......with taco chips lying on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Can't remember the last time we went up against Malta, you'd expect Ireland to win handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement