Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upskilling for next recruitment

• 16-06-2015 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Have been thinking about the AGS for a while - sadly was not available for the last drive in 2013, but am keen to give it my best should the next drive happen within my lifetime (I hear 2016???)

I have a masters of Science, am personable, have people skills, in good physical shape and no criminal record,I also do volunteer work, but Id like to know what else I can do seem more attractive to the AGS?

Also, born 1984, so am towards the upper end of the age limit, but thats viewed as life experience, right?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

What you've outlined is far above the minimum requirements for a career in AGS. There are many intakes with those who have degrees and are one day short of turning 35 when starting in the college.

The only advice? I would suggest plenty of practice on aptitude tests. They're the key factor as to whether you'll be first on the interview ladder or a number well above 3,000.

Once you've achieved that your CV and career experience should assist you greatly through interview stages. Of course there's physical fitness and medical suitability - however the first hurdle can often be the worst given the numbers applying.

And, of course - best of luck! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

POssible that the next recruitment wont have same huge numbers applying due to upturn in economy?

During the campaign in 2004 over 21,000 applied. Not as many as this time around but there was significant interest.

Hmm, must be top of my game when the time comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

Waestrel wrote: »
    Hello all

Have been thinking about the AGS for a while - sadly was not available for the last drive in 2013, but am keen to give it my best should the next drive happen within my lifetime (I hear 2016???)

I have a masters of Science, am personable, have people skills, in good physical shape and no criminal record,I also do volunteer work, but Id like to know what else I can do seem more attractive to the AGS?

Also, born 1984, so am towards the upper end of the age limit, but thats viewed as life experience, right?

Thanks for reading!

I myself are in the boat as you, age wise etc. Concentrated on gaining experience but didn't put enough work in the aptitude tests which let me down and setting me back few more years. Was very annoyed with myself. FGR answer was spot on, work on the tests first.
    One thing I haven't done much of its volunteer work, may I ask what kind of work are you/have you done?

• Advertisement

i-ron wrote: »
    I myself are in the boat as you, age wise etc. Concentrated on gaining experience but didn't put enough work in the aptitude tests which let me down and setting me back few more years. Was very annoyed with myself. FGR answer was spot on, work on the tests first.
    One thing I haven't done much of its volunteer work, may I ask what kind of work are you/have you done?

Some homeless stuff and Samaritans

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

I have just finished my degree and doing a masters in criminology depending on my results ( I am bricking it). I need to do more voluntary work and am planing on joining the Order of Malta to help the application. Is there any site you can use to practice the aptitude test?I use the Shl one but its only got one test so after a while you are just remembering the answers rather then doing anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

FGR wrote: »
    During the campaign in 2004 over 21,000 applied. Not as many as this time around but there was significant interest.

How many actually participated in the competition though?

carzony wrote: »
    How many actually participated in the competition though?

To be honest I'm not sure. I can only remember from the aptitude tests my place amongst the total number of ~21k. Whether that included literally all those who went forward to do the test or those who didn't even turn up I don't know.

FGR wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not sure. I can only remember from the aptitude tests my place amongst the total number of ~21k. Whether that included literally all those who went forward to do the test or those who didn't even turn up I don't know.

probably everyone who signed up online from the most dedicated to the true half assers who did it for lack of anything better. Those who really want to be in AGS is presumably a much smaller number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement