Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours cat

• 16-06-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has a number of cats that drive my dogs ballistic by coming into the garden when they are in their pen. I had asked them to try control their pets so not to enter my property
    Last week his new kitten was on my window sill upstairs trying to get in so I banged the window to scare it off.

This morning I was woke up by rummaging in my back bedroom. His older cat had got through the window and was in my back bedroom. I went in to confront what was there which in truth could've been a burglar. The cats start hissing at me so I ran it out of the house.

I'm obviously not happy as I could've had a child in the room with a dangerous animal entering. My neighbour doesn't seem to feel that he has to control his pets as "cats roam, it's what they do".

Does anyone know what I can do to force him to control them and keep them off my property completely. I don't feel I should be taking safety measures against his animals.

My two dogs have never been on his property,if he's of the opinion hos cats roam then surely I can slide a fence panel and allow my dogs to run around his garden.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hannibal wrote: »
    My neighbour has a number of cats that drive my dogs ballistic by coming into the garden when they are in their pen. I had asked them to try control their pets so not to enter my property
    Last week his new kitten was on my window sill upstairs trying to get in so I banged the window to scare it off.

This morning I was woke up by rummaging in my back bedroom. His older cat had got through the window and was in my back bedroom. I went in to confront what was there which in truth could've been a burglar. The cats start hissing at me so I ran it out of the house.

I'm obviously not happy as I could've had a child in the room with a dangerous animal entering. My neighbour doesn't seem to feel that he has to control his pets as "cats roam, it's what they do".

Does anyone know what I can do to force him to control them and keep them off my property completely. I don't feel I should be taking safety measures against his animals.

My two dogs have never been on his property,if he's of the opinion hos cats roam then surely I can slide a fence panel and allow my dogs to run around his garden.

There is fencing you can install on top of pre-existing fencing that deters cats from entering the property. You can also close your windows (I don't know many parents that would leave a window open in a room where a baby is unattended, so that really isn't a valid point of debate now ;) )

You cannot allow your dogs into his garden as that would mean you do not have effectual control of your dogs, thus breaking the law and giving him right to contact the dog warden.

If they were stray cats, you would be able to do squat. Same in this situation, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Hannibal wrote: »

He's not just of the opinion that they roam. It's a fact. Refusing to accept that cats and dogs are fundamentally different is just stubborn and petty.
    His older cat had got through the window and was in my back bedroom. I went in to confront what was there which in truth could've been a burglar. The cats start hissing at me so I ran it out of the house.
    You make it sound like you're being attacked by these cats, and the most they've done to you is hiss. They don't do that unprovoked - they would normally feel quite threatened to have to do that. All they're doing is looking for food, which they'll always do even if they're well fed.

Obviously it is a nuisance for your dogs, but I'm sure you may have heard something about them not getting along before. Try to have some compassion for these animals, recognise they're not dogs or children that you can control. Above all don't do anything drastic.

The fencing sounds like a good idea. They might still find their way into your garden but they won't continue to go into the house if they don't feel safe, which is probably already the case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's nothing you can do to compel him to keep the cats off your property I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I'm convinced that Cats love nothing more than taunting/annoying dogs. Sadistic little feckers :D

Mine does it, as well as the ferals, to my dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I'm convinced that Cats love nothing more than taunting/annoying dogs. Sadistic little feckers :D

Mine does it, as well as the ferals, to my dogs!

Nothing annoys me as much as this. I had neighbours threatening me with the cops because of my dogs barking at cats taunting them, and I've had to spend lots of time with all the windows at the back of the house covered so that the dogs can't see the neighbourhood cats. If it wasn't for the fact that Tegan is dead and Rani's too crippled with arthritis to get down the steps alone it's how I'd have spend much of the last week.

It's fcking annoying to have to have all your windows and doors shut and blinds drawn and not be able to enjoy your own garden with your pets because some people can't be bothered to do what's necessary to keep their pets on their own property. And even more irritating to have people make out like you're the selfish one with the problem because you don't want them on your property.

People who don't have cats, don't like cats, or have dogs that don't like cats do not necessarily want cats in their garden. 'It's in their nature to roam' is not an answer because it is in literally every animals nature to roam. If you make the decision to get a pet it behoves you to take your neighbours into consideration. Just like you may not want to wake up and find their spaniel shtting in your garden they may not want to wake up and find your cat shtting in their garden. Shrugging your shoulders and saying something along the lines of 'It's a cat, what're you gonna do' doesn't help the image of cats or cat owners in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    (I don't know many parents that would leave a window open in a room where a baby is unattended, so that really isn't a valid point of debate now ;) )

of cou4se its a valid point of discussion, if there is no bed under a window a baby couldn't even reach a low windowsillnever mind a standard height one. You dont know the layout of the ops house so cant make that call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

kylith wrote: »
    Nothing annoys me as much as this. I had neighbours threatening me with the cops because of my dogs barking at cats taunting them, and I've had to spend lots of time with all the windows at the back of the house covered so that the dogs can't see the neighbourhood cats. If it wasn't for the fact that Tegan is dead and Rani's too crippled with arthritis to get down the steps alone it's how I'd have spend much of the last week.

It's fcking annoying to have to have all your windows and doors shut and blinds drawn and not be able to enjoy your own garden with your pets because some people can't be bothered to do what's necessary to keep their pets on their own property. And even more irritating to have people make out like you're the selfish one with the problem because you don't want them on your property.

People who don't have cats, don't like cats, or have dogs that don't like cats do not necessarily want cats in their garden. 'It's in their nature to roam' is not an answer because it is in literally every animals nature to roam. If you make the decision to get a pet it behoves you to take your neighbours into consideration. Just like you may not want to wake up and find their spaniel shtting in your garden they may not want to wake up and find your cat shtting in their garden. Shrugging your shoulders and saying something along the lines of 'It's a cat, what're you gonna do' doesn't help the image of cats or cat owners in this country.
    I think that's the main problem with cat owners. They want a pet cat which is fair enough but it's the height of ignorance for them to automatically presume all their neighbours are happy to have their animal and predator prowling around their property.

Just to elaborate on the original post, I don't have children. I was being hypothetical to say I could have had a child or even budgie or a hamster but the point being I shouldn't have to worry about keeping my windows closed at all times to facilitate somebody else in having a predator.

If I was living in a country like Australia with natural wild predators of course I'd take measures to protect my home whether it is a deterrent or a trap. The fact being pet cats should be under their owners control even if it means keeping them on a lead or in a cage. If they can't keep their animal under control and within their own boundary then they should consider the possibility that pet cats aren't the right animal for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

aaakev wrote: »
    of cou4se its a valid point of discussion, if there is no bed under a window a baby couldn't even reach a low windowsillnever mind a standard height one. You dont know the layout of the ops house so cant make that call

Never, ever, ever assume that a baby could not reach something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Never, ever, ever assume that a baby could not reach something.

ok :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Seve B and Hannibal
    I have deleted the past two posts you've made, as they are both inflammatory (in this forum at any rate), and pretty offensive (on any forum).
    Let's stay on-topic now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Cats don't taunt dogs. They do however feel most safe on the move if they can do it at a height and garden walls are perfect for them to perambulate their territory. Much to the frustration of many's a dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

DBB wrote: »
    Seve B and Hannibal
    I have deleted the past two posts you've made, as they are both inflammatory (in this forum at any rate), and pretty offensive (on any forum).
    Let's stay on-topic now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

<snip>
    Do not argue with mods on-thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement