Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

MASSIVE 45 minutes coming up. Dropped points here would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Surprised Giroud didn't start, it's one of the few games of the year you expect him to score

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We are playing some really good possession football, but we just haven't created enough. Walcott really should have buried that chance though. I'm confident enough that we will win this, but if we don't than we really are in a bit of trouble, as the lack of goals in the league is alarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

1 goal in 3 and a half games, and there's no striker out there that would improve us?? Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

We really need some kind of plan b when teams go all out defence on us. Ramsey is completely ineffective. Walcotts miss was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No doubt. Starting the only one in the squad would have been no harm either.

True but Wenger probably felt he had to try something given how Giroud has been playing. Hopefully he really pushes before the window closes to get one.

Get in ill take that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Own goal has been a good signing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We've been fine. Created 3 great chances in the first half.

One stonewall penalty, one krul save and a shocking miss from Walcott.

CNk_tpLUcAAIVzI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ramsey has had a much better second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Two things.

Giroud is the ONLY option up front.
    He's still not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

3pts, not great at finishing, clear peno denied, we'll get better. 3 points! Weekend can be peaceful.

Thoroughly deserved 3 points. Leave the back 5 like that now unless someone gets injured/suspended. Get Ozil back for Santi/Ramsey and pick either Walcott/Ox/Welbeck for the RW. Striker upgrade is badly needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Walcott had a woeful game at CF. Poor game, not helped by the fact they were absolute dirt! Could of been a few of them sent off and they'll definitely be getting a fine for the amount of cards they picked up. Main thing is 3 points though at the end of the day I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

dire again but at least we got the points.

il say again about walcott. he is not a centre forward. he is useless in that position

Giroud isnt up to it either.

Sanchez has been poor too imo. should be up to speed by now

Paulista looks very good tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Hard to be optimistic after watching that. Giroud proved at the very end that we won't win the title with him as the main man.

Is an upgrade on Giroud really as hard as some are making out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Really poor match, we cant even ger chances against ten men. And its not like they didnt come at us a bit aswell. Krul had a good game but what are we doing, where is our creativity in the final third, and where are the runs. We are completely static, waiting for the perfect ball but if noone runs then we wont do anything.

And why bring in Giroud at 70"? If you are trying to change the attack, do it at half time, walcott is best when the players are tired and miss his runs.

We were good defensively, thats about it to take from it. Gabriel and Kosc should stay as our main two for now.

Hopefully we get some international goals to regain the faith in the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

IMO this is the best result we could have hoped for, we kept a clean sheet, the back 6 looked fantastic. But most importantly it highlights how much we need another CF, hopefully Wenger agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gosplan wrote: »

We've created tons of chances in the 4 games and scored one goal. You'll forgive me for not agreeing with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

gosplan wrote: »

I hope Wenger doesn't think like you.

We did play well.
    Only for Krul we'd have won that by 3+ goals. We need another CF badly!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Defo red card by the way, having watched it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'm just delighted that we got the three points. It's the start of the season and if we can just hang in there with a decent enough points tally in the first 7 or so matches, than I'll be more confident of our chances. We lost the league last season at the beginning, so need a better start.

It is worrying that we have only scored 3 goals in the first 4 matches, but obviously this will drastically improve once the team starts to click again. Don't think we will sign anyone else, but I hope I'm wrong, it is needed. 3 points was a must so I'm relatively happy.

Walcott had a woeful game at CF. Poor game, not helped by the fact they were absolute dirt! Could of been a few of them sent off and they'll definitely be getting a fine for the amount of cards they picked up. Main thing is 3 points though at the end of the day I suppose

Walcott will only do well against a team that is trying to win, rather than a team that is sitting back. In some ways it's a shame they went down to 10 men, I wanted to see what he could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Still don't think Walcott is good enough to be our primary CF but in fairness to him he didn't get great service today.

Actually when he went off the game opened up a lot and would have suited him more but I'm not sure was it us or them that changed the game at that stage. Would have thought Ox should have been taken off, put Walcott out right and bring Giroud up front.

Also thought Ox and Ramsey were generally poor today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Enjoy the victory lads.

We'll probably argue about the red card and what not for a long time to come and not get anywhere but I'm at least happy that we made you work for it unlike under Carver/Pardew.

We'll never know how it might have played out with 11v11 but well done. Enjoy it.

I now need a few beers, a good cry and all the feelings of rage to come floating to the surface again. :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Basil3 wrote: »
    Walcott will only do well against a team that is trying to win, rather than a team that is sitting back. In some ways it's a shame they went down to 10 men, I wanted to see what he could do.

Yeah, I feel like there'd have been a few more goals if the sending off hadn't happened. Krul was also really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Walcott proves he's not a striker. Bad movement and should have scored at least one. Paulista looks good on a happy note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well at least Spurs will be happy there europa league rivals are losing at Anfield :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Normally I'd agree with you, but, being a man down, the Newcastle back 4 were stretched enough that there were plenty of pockets of space for him to run into. I was very disappointed in him today.

For example, the time Giroud was played in behind not long before the end. A quicker forward would have easily put himself in a one on one situation as the defender was the wrong side. Walcott should have been making those runs but he didn't seem to be trying to break free of his marker.

Other times where there were loose balls in the box (like the situation form which we scored). Coloccini was marking Walcott initially, but drifted away from him and got sucked to the ball (very bad defending actually). That left Walcott free to make a run to the near post and try and get on the end of the shot/cross Chamberlain made but for some reason he stays static at the back post.

To be honest, watching the highlights of the key points of the match again, Walcott's movement made it easy for the defenders. The other thing that becomes obvious was his tendency to loiter in the area at the back post. That works if you're a midfielder/winger and the CF has drawn the defenders to the near post, but if you're the highest up the pitch it just means the CBs plonk themselves in the 6 yard box and beat you to the ball everytime.

Overall, Walcott just doesn't appear to be making any progress with his game. Tactically he's woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

In a word, uninspiring. Its amazing that with all our creative players that we lack so little threat going forward. Fair enough Newcastle defended in numbers but thats something we have to get used to facing.
    Ox was poor but he kept trying, Walcott was woeful up front and did his chances of getting the gig long term very little favours, as someone else mentioned its probably better start with Giroud and bring on Walcott when defences are tiring a little and he can run at them.
    As big a fan of Giroud as I am, that last chance frustrates massively, just stick it away, power bottom corner, we need to be more clinical.
    Cant for the life of me understand how Ramsey got motm either? and much an all as I love Sanchez he gives the ball away far too much, sometimes doing the simplest of things.
    On the plus side Gabriel is looking a really top purchase and Kos looked very composed, hard to see Debuchy getting back in the team as Bellerin is getting better and better
    3 points is all that matters though at this point I guess, will it force Wengers hand in the market? I doubt it somehow

Meh, 3 away points, same issues that some like to ignore are present.

Meh, 3 away points, same issues that some like to ignore are present.

We won. You may continue moaning on Wednesday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Think people are getting carried away with Gabriel - he had literally nothing to do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

cson wrote: »
    Think people are getting carried away with Gabriel - he had literally nothing to do today.

No but he looked good in the 1v1 and he was good again against pool

I would retain him for now at lest we can defend higher up the pitch

Btw Adam & Afellay will miss the match against us after both got sent off today.

Emirates will be a much safer place without Charlie Adam scything around it.

Pretty crazy that at the end of play today, we will probably be tied on 7 points with Liverpool. Without dodgy refereeing decisions, they would be on 3, us 9.

I was impressed with Gabriel. Yes, he had little to do but when he was called upon he looked very good.

• Advertisement

Ings on for Liverpool

Ings on for Liverpool

I assume you meant to post that in the match thread? :pac:

Cos I don't think anyone in here gives a ****e what second rate striker they bring on in their battle for a Europa League place.

cson wrote: »
    I assume you meant to post that in the match thread? :pac:

Cos I don't think anyone in here gives a ****e what second rate striker they bring on in their battle for a Europa League place.

Oops!

I should really pay attention more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Glad to see we're keeping quiet in here....

EDIT: FACK!

Them 3 points at palace are looking mighty fine now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not a great performance by any means, but it's 3 points away which is always satisfying. Had Mitrovic not been sent off I think it would have been the type of game Walcott would have thrived on.

In saying that we shouldn't be playing a lad up front who can only score against teams defending a certain way. Once they sit back hes basically useless which isn't good enough. I'm a massive fan of Walcott and was really excited to hear he'd be playing up front this season but unless he changes something in his game it's not gonna work in the majority of matches

• Advertisement

Them 3 points at palace are looking mighty fine now!

Shush!!

Our performance aside, not a bad day all round ;-)

omega man wrote: »
    Our performance aside, not a bad day all round ;-)

Still wondering how we will bridge the 12 points to Chelsea :D

People forget, this is the premier league. Now, more so than ever, you can lose points anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Still wondering how we will bridge the 12 points to Chelsea :D

People forget, this is the premier league. Now, more so than ever, you can lose points anywhere.

this is so true. Some of the players that the smaller clubs have brought in have been top class. Will see a lot of upsets I think

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement