Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Think there is room for another winger with goals in them

Yes. If we can't find a CF, then get a scoring right winger.

Coq
    Caz
    Reus - Ozil - Sanchez
    Giroud

Bench: Wilshire Rambo Wally Welbeck Ox

Think I'd be happy with that. I get Wenger's thing about playing a midfielder out wide but surely there's someone who can do that and be a winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Apparently we're linked to Mahrez of Leicester. But it's from the Daily Star, so I don't know why I'm even posting this.

Interesting as well that Newcastle set out to target Le Grande Coq.

They obviously saw him as Arsenal's central figure.

For those with doubts as regards his consistency, it seems he's better than last season and iirc, he's only been booked once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

gosplan wrote: »
    For those with doubts as regards his consistency, it seems he's better than last season and iirc, he's only been booked once.

He's showing some signs that he can use the ball a lot better this season. Last year he was a real passenger when Arsenal were on the attack, prefering instead to make decoy runs to open space for Cazorla or Ozil.

This season so far he's made a number of really good cross field passes (like the one to Chamberlain for Bellirin's penalty claim) along with some forward runs that saw him pick up the ball in some really dangerous areas. I've been very impressed with him so far.

I thought Arteta would have gone straight back into the side for those games where we're expected to dominate possession, but Coquelin beginning to show he's more than just a destroyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

He's showing some signs that he can use the ball a lot better this season. Last year he was a real passenger when Arsenal were on the attack, prefering instead to make decoy runs to open space for Cazorla or Ozil.

This season so far he's made a number of really good cross field passes (like the one to Chamberlain for Bellirin's penalty claim) along with some forward runs that saw him pick up the ball in some really dangerous areas. I've been very impressed with him so far.

I thought Arteta would have gone straight back into the side for those games where we're expected to dominate possession, but Coquelin beginning to show he's more than just a destroyer.

Arteta is still best at moving us forward though for me. I would have taken Ramsey off yesterday and pushed santi further forward but 3 points are all that matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Don't know why you've Ramsey on the bench there gosplan, he created 5 chances yesterday and has been one of our best players this season so far imo, not that we're exactly flush with choice for that.

Santi was woeful yesterday - I like him but he gets a free ride too often. If it came down to it I think Ramsey, Coquelin and Ozil are the 3 in midfield for me with Santi dropping to the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

cson wrote: »
    Don't know why you've Ramsey on the bench there gosplan, he created 5 chances yesterday and has been one of our best players this season so far imo, not that we're exactly flush with choice for that.

Santi was woeful yesterday - I like him but he gets a free ride too often. If it came down to it I think Ramsey, Coquelin and Ozil are the 3 in midfield for me with Santi dropping to the bench.

Agree strongly with this. Ramsey over Santi all day long, dont understand the stick he gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I think as well Ramsey will find the form he had before his injuries knocked him back, and he's going to be a massive player for us. He's only going to get better and more experienced, where as Cazorla is 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

No way Ramsey has been near our best player. I would like to see his stats for misplaced passes.

I think he has been poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wouldn't be happy either of those to be honest Wilson is in the premiership 5 mins and Mahrez didn't exactly pull up any trees last season

Heh, I actually debated that one for ages.

I'd love to see a middle pair of him and Coq work out.

If you look two years forward, that's the ideal future IMO.

Coq-Rambo
    New RW - Ozil - Alexis
    New CF

With Wilshire, Wally, Giroud, Ox being great options to come in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Zelalem started for Rangers, think it's on BT sport at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This might be where the Mahrez story in the Daily Star came from. But it could be the Star thinking 'Arsenal Scout + in-form player on one of the teams' and creating a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

As individuals I think Ramsey and Coq is our best midfield

As a pair I highly doubt it, we need someone in there to set the tempo of our passing which arteta and caz

Coq is best at shielding the defence, Ramsey is best at his non stop runnin off the ball

I don't think they would work together at the base of our midfield at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Zelalem started for Rangers, think it's on BT sport at the moment.

Still baffled by the decision to let him go to Rangers surely he could have went somewhere better or stayed at Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Still baffled by the decision to let him go to Rangers surely he could have went somewhere better or stayed at Arsenal.

He needs toughening up I suspect that's why he has gone there plus they'll win the league and he'll take confidence from that experience

I read somewhere rangers manager wS one of the founding memebers that set up that next gen series, and he have a great track record with young developing players

I read somewhere rangers manager wS one of the founding memebers that set up that next gen series, and he have a great track record with young developing players

If true that's probably more accurate than my guess!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    If true that's probably more accurate than my guess!

There was a good write up in the guardian about it, will link when I get home.

Here ya go: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/19/gedion-zelalem-usa-soccer-star-arsenal-rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Breaking news. Arsenal are making a double swoop for South Korean forward Fu-Kin Nu-Wan and Nigerian Defensive Mid Nobo Dy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

SkySter wrote: »
    Breaking news. Arsenal are making a double swoop for South Korean forward Fu-Kin Nu-Wan and Nigerian Defensive Mid Nobo Dy!

Source?

Coq is better than schniderlin

Gomis have a 7m release clause...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Does anyone know the extent of Ozil's injury? Has Wenger commented on it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sure this O.G. Lad is doing the job for us!

I'm worried that Arsene is going to look at the results this weekend and think we're not actual too bad, when I pray he is thinking one/two quality signings and we've got a real chance.

If he can't get the WC CF I hope he signs someone he thinks could become one #takea****inchance we won't hold it over you !!!

Not the only team who needs a striker by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

At this stage united need a new team :P

In fairness they have Hernandez, I think they under rate him I'd like him as a different type of option

The table looks a lot better after this weekends games. lets get what we need and give City a proper challenge!

The table looks a lot better after this weekends games. lets get what we need and give City a proper challenge!

I really hope this is what the club are thinking, City will have there stumble if we could add then we'd be in with as good a shout as any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

City could have it wrapped up by Christmas!
    Best league in the world me hole!

I really hope this is what the club are thinking, City will have there stumble if we could add then we'd be in with as good a shout as any

Yup agreed. Its up to the chasing pack to strengthen and start a chase because City always go through a dodgy spell. Its not looking good though.

• Advertisement

Being serious here but I would take Ki as our CM signing this summer. Excellent passing range. Good option to Coquelin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/3ixkyw/filtered_list_of_europes_highestscoring_forwards/

Makes for grim reading. I honestly think our best bet is to go for a young striker who may have a lot of potential, something we probably should have done about 2 years ago.

AdamD wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/3ixkyw/filtered_list_of_europes_highestscoring_forwards/

Makes for grim reading. I honestly think our best bet is to go for a young striker who may have a lot of potential, something we probably should have done about 2 years ago.

The striker were looking for just not there at the moment, I'd go winger myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

efb wrote: »

United, Liverpool and Chelsea all losing in the same weekend. Thats why its better. Competition. You dont get that in Italy, Spain or Germany. There is a big gap between the top and bottom of the league in those leagues.

Nobody is under any illusions that the top tier teams accross europe are better than their english counterparts.....we all know that. But the league as a whole is much stronger. When guys like Ayew and Cabeye are joining Swansea and Palace, you know the league is healthy.

Is Pato any good? still only 25

• Advertisement

In fairness they have Hernandez, I think they under rate him I'd like him as a different type of option

There's a reason Hernandez hasn't been a regular starter for any of the teams he's played for, even for Mexico he hasn't regularly for them in ages. Great impact player, doesn't do enough over 90 mins otherwise.
    efb wrote: »

Relax. City have had a relatively benign start imo; WBA away was a decent result, a Chelsea team that clearly aren't firing, Everton away was a decent result but you have to consider Everton have bought no one and have the Stones distraction and generally aren't the team they were, should be beating Watford at home. They haven't had a game yet.

Re signings; take a chance of Fekir or Draxler for £25/30m. Allows us to potentially consider Alexis as a forward option.

Remember we've Welbeck to come back too; if you added one of the above to Alexis, Welbeck, Giroud, Walcott and Chamberlain then between that 6 there should be more than enough to get us goals. Very clear our forwards are under performing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Being serious here but I would take Ki as our CM signing this summer. Excellent passing range. Good option to Coquelin.

Very good player who i'd welcome with open arms.
    Is Pato any good? still only 25

No he's pretty poor these days. Also with his/our injury record there's a high chance he'd die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Nothing to be said for Gomis i thought i read somewhere he has a release clause of 7 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Woj just made a great last minute save as Roma beat Juve 2-1

https://twitter.com/hughwizzy/status/638047288758284288

Could have caught that tbh, he's showboating there.

As regards Gomis - that to me would be buying for the sake of it. And that's a terrible approach imo, that's how you end up with a Park or a Squillaci. Either we buy someone of the quality to come into the first XI right away or we buy someone who has the potential to be world class. Otherwise I'd prefer we signed nobody and gave the younger lads a chance. (On that note Zelalem had an assist or two today I believe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Could have caught that tbh, he's showboating there.

As regards Gomis - that to me would be buying for the sake of it. And that's a terrible approach imo, that's how you end up with a Park or a Squillaci. Either we buy someone of the quality to come into the first XI right away or we buy someone who has the potential to be world class. Otherwise I'd prefer we signed nobody and gave the younger lads a chance. (On that note Zelalem had an assist or two today I believe).
    I don't understand this sometimes.

With our injury record we also be looking to improve our second choice players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm worried that Arsene is going to look at the results this weekend and think we're not actual too bad, when I pray he is thinking one/two quality signings and we've got a real chance.

If he can't get the WC CF I hope he signs someone he thinks could become one #takea****inchance we won't hold it over you !!!

Hopefully he's looking at City and seeing the strength of their squad. Ours just doesn't compete.

What worries me is there are no credible names that have been mentioned recently. With the window closing in 2 days you really would have thought a couple of names would have been brought up.

I fear Tayto maybe right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the extent of Ozil's injury? Has Wenger commented on it yet?

1st indications were that he would be out for a week

Best way to improve your second choice players is to bring in someone who relegates a current first choice to second choice. The Monreal/Gibbs and Bellerin/Debuchy battles being a great example of that.

I think the emergence of Bellerin lends further credibility to trusting the youth players rather than bringing in the likes of Gomis who was suggested earlier in the thread. Had Debuchy gotten injured pre September last year for example, I'm sure there would have been serious clamour on here for us to bring in someone to replace him, as it was Bellerin got his chance and look where we are now - incumbent French International right full back is our 2nd choice in the position.

That's not to say that youth is the panacea to all our shortcomings; but I'd rather defer to youth than bringing in middling players for the sake of it. If we're buying older players then it has to be someone like Ibrahimovic imo & the club seem particularly set against that.

Martial to United? Surely we can find someone out there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement