Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

keano_afc wrote: »
    Are you confident we'll do the business in the next 24 hours to improve the team from last season and challenge for the league?

The team is already improved from last year, with the return of Walcott and the signing of Cech alone.

I'm hopeful we will improve further before the window closes, even if it isn't the WC striker we all want. I'm not going to moan about it until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus fairly scraping the barrel with Michu...

The sooner the window closes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

To be honest, today is the day, unless we want Charlie Austin. The French, Spanish, Italian and German markets close at midnight tonight (six hours earlier in Germany). So any major European club signing we want to make would likely require the selling club to sign a replacement within the next few hours.

Zero new transfer links for us this morning though. We're done, and have been for a long time. Two more seasons of this.

They can still sell, just can't buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

cson wrote: »
    Jaysus fairly scraping the barrel with Michu...

The sooner the window closes. :(

Nobody mentioned anything about buying him, I was curious where did he end up

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned anything about buying him, I was curious where did he end up

Still at Swansea as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Still at Swansea as far as I know.

Yep although there was an article on the BBC a few days ago about them terminating his contract early by mutual consent.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34089924

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

To be honest spending £55m on a Chelsea reject who was only sold for less that half that a year ago is much funnier than a dizzy Gunnersaurus.

To be honest spending £55m on a Chelsea reject who was only sold for less that half that a year ago is much funnier than a dizzy Gunnersaurus.

Who was excellent last season

Honestly can't believe how quiet it is the day before the window closes? Especially as the European Window closes tonight as well. It's either going to be hell for leather tomorrow or another one of those patented "Arsenal sign no-one" days.

At least we aren't the fans panicking the most on the soccer forum these days, the United thread is in dire need of a Prozac injection :D

• Advertisement

Who was excellent last season

But worth nowhere near £55m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

De Bruyne is better than most players we have. Also, Chelsea reject? Like Cech?

Funny is spending £10m and expecting to be title challengers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

But worth nowhere near £55m.

At least he has a good season under his belt, when players like Martial are going for the money touted the days of getting the finished article for the kind of money we spent on Ozil or Sanchez are over.

I'd be pretty peeved if we spunked £55m on de Bruyne to be honest.

Big signings coming today right? Those players that were targeted at the beginning of the window by the transfer team should be ready to sign by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

De Bruyne is better than most players we have. Also, Chelsea reject? Like Cech?

Funny is spending £10m and expecting to be title challengers.

Thats a strange comment, he's had one good season in Germany, and wasn't good enough for Chelsea the previous year in the BPL. Cech was good enough for Chelsea, he just got replaced by one of the top 3 keepers in the world. De Bruyne was kept out of the squad by people like Schurle, Oscar and Salah. Are they fantastic players?
    I would give it a year before you say he is better than any of our players. He may be amazing, but he may also be not suited to the premier league

The Telegraph's 'Arsenal transfer news live blog' is so starved of content that they've ran updates about players we haven't been linked to this summer: Coman to Bayern, Draxler to Wolfsburg, Liverpool looking at Yarmolenko :Dhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-live-blogs/11833909/Arsenal-transfer-news-and-rumours-live.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

De Bruyne a player with most assists in Europe along withave ten goals all while playing in one of the best leagues yea sure who would want that at all.

Chelsea didn't want rid of him he was young though and wanted first team football and wasn't prepared to wait especially under Mourinho who hasn't got a great track record with young players and given a chance has shown what he can do.

Any premier league team would welcome him calling him a Chelsea reject is ridiculous.

People mocking City for bringing in reinforcements and spending money will also be giving out we done nothing I don't care how much a players costs not my concern once the player performs.

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Thats a strange comment, he's had one good season in Germany, and wasn't good enough for Chelsea the previous year in the BPL. Cech was good enough for Chelsea, he just got replaced by one of the top 3 keepers in the world. De Bruyne was kept out of the squad by people like Schurle, Oscar and Salah. Are they fantastic players?
    I would give it a year before you say he is better than any of our players. He may be amazing, but he may also be not suited to the premier league

I don't think that Cech is a Chelsea reject, nor do I think De Bruyne is. I think they're both fantastic players. I'm pointing out the ridiculous situation where certain fans think it's 'funny' that City have spent 55m on the Bundesliga Player of the Year despite the fact they're off to a flyer in the PL and haven't even conceded a goal, whereas we've slogged, signed no outfield players and aren't linked to anyone on the deadline day of the French, German, Italian and Spanish leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Extremely disappointed that we didn't strengthen this summer bar the goalkeeping department. There was an opportunity (again) to push on and to get closer to our rivals. I'm glad though that we haven't weakened the team with no major departures, so it's by no means doom and gloom as we have a decent squad/team, but don't think it's enough to win the league and certainly not good enough to win the champions league.

Having seen the transfer fees banded about for the likes of Sterling and De Bruyne than I can see why Wenger may be hesitant in bringing in the required players as you are probably looking at smashing our transfer fee record, for players that aren't necessarily better than ours. An interesting season ahead, which hasn't started convincingly at all.

• Advertisement

de Bruyne is probably a good player, statistically he definitely is. Hasn't really shone too much in any match I've seen him play.

Unfortunately (or maybe thankfully), our problem isn't creating chances, it's putting the ball in the back of the net.

One goal from 80+ chances this season is definitely a concern.

What's annoying me the most is what is annoying Wenger as well, the whole FFP system appears to have been dropped to facilitate the big money clubs, specifically the ones with patrons from a certain geographical location.

I was under the impression that Man City and PSG were sanctioned but it appears they can spend money without any restrictions at all. The whole system appears to be a complete and utter mockery.

I don't think that Cech is a Chelsea reject, nor do I think De Bruyne is. I think they're both fantastic players. I'm pointing out the ridiculous situation where certain fans think it's 'funny' that City have spent 55m on the Bundesliga Player of the Year despite the fact they're off to a flyer in the PL and haven't even conceded a goal, whereas we've slogged, signed no outfield players and aren't linked to anyone on the deadline day of the French, German, Italian and Spanish leagues.

I dont think the 2 scenarios are linked to be honest mate.

Yes, I find it a bit crazy have City have spent that amount of money on a player like de Bruyne. I dont think he's worth anything close to that. At the same time, I find it insane that yet again we've gone through a summer with next to no transfer activity. Its lazy and downright neglectful management. Last summer apart, we seem as a club utterly incapable of identifying areas of the team that need improving and doing the necessary. Its mind-boggling.

gandalf wrote: »
    What's annoying me the most is what is annoying Wenger as well, the whole FFP system appears to have been dropped to facilitate the big money clubs, specifically the ones with patrons from a certain geographical location.

I was under the impression that Man City and PSG were sanctioned but it appears they can spend money without any restrictions at all. The whole system appears to be a complete and utter mockery.

To be fair FFP was a load of balls anyway put in place to help protect the big clubs and stifle the small clubs.

The legal action by PSG made then relax on the rules

They do need to do something to control wages and spending but FFP was the wrong way.

I agree, they are totally right to improve their squad, we should be doing the same. But to say that De Bruyne is now better than most of our players is a disjointed argument. Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Sanchez Walcott etc have all shown they can play at a top team in the premier league. De Bruyne has not done this, and yes people can say that De Bruyne had a fantastic season last year, but that was in the bundesliga, which is a very good league one of the best in Europe, but regardless is different. The premier league is much more dynamic, cut and thrust style of play based on speed and power.
    Bundesliga I think there's now more of an emphasis on skill and individual technique. You could say the Bundesliga is a hybrid of all European styles. So De Bruyne may not be able to cope with the BPL

So I'm reserving my opinion on De Bruyne until he completes a year

First, they relaxed the rules, but said that sanctions against City and PSG would remain, meaning that they would be restricted for the next 2-3 seasons.

After this, they basically said City and PSG could do whatever they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Didn't wenger say something about it been easier to do something on Tuesday as there would be less people on the market as the euro deadline is tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

just fyi, I'm pretty sure that we could still buy players from those other leagues tomorrow, not that it will make too much difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

just fyi, I'm pretty sure that we could still buy players from those other leagues tomorrow, not that it will make too much difference.

we can buy but they wouldn't be able to replace

I dont think the 2 scenarios are linked to be honest mate.

Yes, I find it a bit crazy have City have spent that amount of money on a player like de Bruyne. I dont think he's worth anything close to that. At the same time, I find it insane that yet again we've gone through a summer with next to no transfer activity. Its lazy and downright neglectful management. Last summer apart, we seem as a club utterly incapable of identifying areas of the team that need improving and doing the necessary. Its mind-boggling.

To be fair to the club and Wenger who is out there and available who realistically would improve us? Not that many?

My heart is hopeful that Wenger and the board have a rabbit to pull out of the hat before cob tomorrow but my head is saying that Arsenal are done with this transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Januzai (spelling?) on his way to Dortmund... Could someone be leaving there???

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    we can buy but they wouldn't be able to replace

Yeah that's what I meant by the not making too much difference comment.

Ki and Higuain would be a very good summer. We will end up with that Leicester lad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Ki and Higuain would be a very good summer. We will end up with that Leicester lad though.

I'd be delighted if we got Mahrez. He's a quality player!

"The French FA have given Monaco striker Anthony Martial permission to leave national team base to talk to Manchester United."
    He any use?

DenMan wrote: »
    I'd be delighted if we got Mahrez. He's a quality player!

Id take him but its supposedly some kid called Dodoo from Leicester that could be coming in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

To be fair to the club and Wenger who is out there and available who realistically would improve us? Not that many?

My heart is hopeful that Wenger and the board have a rabbit to pull out of the hat before cob tomorrow but my head is saying that Arsenal are done with this transfer window.
    We finished 3rd last year, 4th the year before. We've scored one goal in four games this year. How can you state that there isn't many who could improve us?

Quazzie wrote: »
    We finished 3rd last year, 4th the year before. We've scored one goal in four games this year. How can you state that there isn't many who could improve us?

Because there's no real logic to this way of thinking. We have players that aren't in form, and they will return to form at some stage. In order to improve our team, we need someone who will displace one of our starting 11. There's very few players out there that are attainable who will do this.

Look at Chelsea, they have 'strengthened' and are on what, 4 points after 4 matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    Because there's no real logic to this way of thinking. We have players that aren't in form, and they will return to form at some stage. In order to improve our team, we need someone who will displace one of our starting 11. There's very few players out there that are attainable who will do this.

So lets buy a leicester city reserve player.

4th place battle here we come for our annual run-in.

Quazzie wrote: »

There aren't many who are actually available.

Robert Lewandowski would be a big improvement, so would Messi, maybe even Benzema. However none of those are available. Should we chip our hat in for Charlie Adam with United?

If the rumours about Martial to United are true and the figures being quoted are anyway close to whats being offered then things have really gone stir crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

How many times does it have to be said. To claim there are no players out there who can be got and who can improve us is deluded, we havent won a league in 10 years and get knocked out last 16 CL regularily.

There are plenty out there. Signing just Cech is appalling from everyone associated at that level in the club not just Wenger.

Every top team in world football can find and 'try' to improve there squad. It amazes me the amount of Arsenal fans that fall at the feet of the club and Wenger to defend the constant lack of ambition

• Advertisement

If there was a world class striker available I think they'd be on their way to Manchester for a medical at this stage. May as well spunk the entire kitty on someone like Icardi. I'd take anything at this stage. Even that Russian nobody we were linked to last week.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If there was a world class striker available I think they'd be on their way to Manchester for a medical at this stage. May as well spunk the entire kitty on someone like Icardi. I'd take anything at this stage. Even that Russian nobody we were linked to last week.

I wouldnt take anything (just in case Austin is reading) but i would perfectly accept the club taking a gamble on a player who has the potential to come in and do something if the finished article cant be got.

If it doesnt work thats okay atleast we are trying, to think all our answers are already within is mad!

Look at Chelsea, they have 'strengthened' and are on what, 4 points after 4 matches?

Look at City they have strengthened and are top of the league. We've known for a number of years we need a better CF the excuse of theres no one out there is a joke to be honest. How many CF have moved the last two years we could have signed.

If a club doesn't want to sell then make them an offer they can't refuse it's not our money we shouldn't care how much it costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Wouldn't sign that Russian lad, but i would be shopping in Russia - see if we can take advantage of the new anti-foreign player rules Putin brought in. Throw in sneaky bids for Witsel (even if we don't need him), Hulk and Doumbia.

Wishful thinking on my part, as i don't think anything is going to happen today or tomorrow*

*outside of my football manager game this evening.

Soups123 wrote: »
    How many times does it have to be said. To claim there are no players out there who can be got and who can improve us is deluded, we havent won a league in 10 years and get knocked out last 16 CL regularily.

There are plenty out there. Signing just Cech is appalling from everyone associated at that level in the club not just Wenger.

Every top team in world football can find and 'try' to improve there squad. It amazes me the amount of Arsenal fans that fall at the feet of the club and Wenger to defend the constant lack of ambition

Constant lack of ambition? Signing Ozil, Sanchez, Cech etc shows lack of amibition?

It's a tough market. United need a world class striker, seems they have given up on it. Real haven't signed anyone of note even though they were clearly behind Barca last year.

End of the day, Wenger saw Cech as a clear way he could improve the team. He went out and got it sorted. The same happened with Sanchez. This year feels more like what happened with the Ozil signing. They are trying to pull off something big, but if it falls through, I'm sure someone will be signed who will bring something to the squad.

We have needed a striker since 2012 though. This is arguably the first summer United needed one, maybe last season.

Constant lack of ambition? Signing Ozil, Sanchez, Cech etc shows lack of amibition?

It's a tough market. United need a world class striker, seems they have given up on it. Real haven't signed anyone of note even though they were clearly behind Barca last year.

End of the day, Wenger saw Cech as a clear way he could improve the team. He went out and got it sorted. The same happened with Sanchez. This year feels more like what happened with the Ozil signing. They are trying to pull off something big, but if it falls through, I'm sure someone will be signed who will bring something to the squad.

The ambition to date has been to improve the squad and cement top 4, we have yet to assemble a complete squad to really challenge for No1.

We had all summer to address it and leaving it to the last day for the 'big' signing is a huge risk for a club this size. I really hope we pull something out of the bag

Ever other club is doing it but for a lot of our support we are putting it down to them 'panicing' yet if we do it, it was 'planned'

I get the talk about who can we sign for a WC CF I believe if we really wanted 2/3 could be got but below that there are plenty out there with potential who can come in and offer something different to Giroud

We have needed a striker since 2012 though. This is arguably the first summer United needed one, maybe last season.

So being realistic, and knowing that Arsenal won't spend crazy money in one window, which striker would you have signed in the last two years instead of signing Ozil or Sanchez?

This gets missed on so many, its not about this summer only, we have gone 2/3 years with only one recognised striker. We got caught out last year when he got injured so we should have learned.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I wouldnt take anything (just in case Austin is reading) but i would perfectly accept the club taking a gamble on a player who has the potential to come in and do something if the finished article cant be got.

If it doesnt work thats okay atleast we are trying, to think all our answers are already within is mad!

Yeah I think that's the best option available to us now. Combination of poor planning and lack of conviction on our part and a terrible market for the type of player we need means it's all we have left at this stage really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement