Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Basil3 wrote: »
    So being realistic, and knowing that Arsenal won't spend crazy money in one window, which striker would you have signed in the last two years instead of signing Ozil or Sanchez?

Why instead of? We have £70 million to spend so we could have got them and a decent striker. We spent 16 million on Welbeck, add another 20 to that and we could have got Icardi/Dybala/Vietto/Lacazette. Maybe push the boat out for Higuain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

So being realistic, and knowing that Arsenal won't spend crazy money in one window, which striker would you have signed in the last two years instead of signing Ozil or Sanchez?

They arent strikers?

Reverse the question do you think there is not one single player better than Giroud in world football that a club like Arsenal could have signed in the last 2/3 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

It's pretty quiet on transfers.

Do you guys expect us to sign atleast 1 more signing by the end of tomorrow?

I'd be pretty happy if we manage to lure Krychowiak from Sevilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Soups123 wrote: »
    They arent strikers?

Reverse the question do you think there is not one single player better than Giroud in world football that a club like Arsenal could have signed in the last 2/3 years?

I suppose the argument is that we want a player that is significantly better than Giroud, hence the Suarez pursuit. Higuain probably would have been good (may still be worth a shot) but he does have a bit of a reputation as a bottler.

They arent strikers?

What I'm saying is that Arsenal would not spend £35-45m on Sanchez or Ozil + another £40-60 on a world class striker in one window. As much as people would like to dream this could happen, we aren't City. Even Chelsea wouldn't pull this off.

• Advertisement

5star02707 wrote: »
    It's pretty quiet on transfers.

Do you guys expect us to sign atleast 1 more signing by the end of tomorrow?

I'd be pretty happy if we manage to lure Krychowiak from Sevilla.

TBH I dont have a clue not sure whether to be worried or pleased about the lack of noise. Its not looking good but keeping the fingers crossed.

I'm hoping Wengers comments about being the only team in the market come Tuesday means something!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Should just pay 70m for reus

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I suppose the argument is that we want a player that is significantly better than Giroud, hence the Suarez pursuit. Higuain probably would have been good (may still be worth a shot) but he does have a bit of a reputation as a bottler.

Agreed completely, like there are other players, but im not sure how many are a genuine improvement to Giroud. And if we are looking for an alternative we have Sanchez, with the Ox on the wing.

Where is this Higuain bottler stuff coming from? I know he missed a penalty in the Copa America, but i can't think of anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Here's to us hoping for Wenger to pull a magic trick! If by the end of the day we don;t sign anyone I expect us to sign players on January.

Suarez is levels above there are plenty in the levels in between but I get your point. if we cant get better we should be looking for a player with another dynamic. Higuian would still be a super signing.
    What I'm saying is that Arsenal would not spend £35-45m on Sanchez or Ozil + another £40-60 on a world class striker in one window. As much as people would like to dream this could happen, we aren't City. Even Chelsea wouldn't pull this off.

We are well resourced now to buy two players in this bracket, sure look at the last window we bought Sanchez and a lot more. I get for us it will be a marathan and not a sprint in building the squad but to sign just Cech this year is not enough even for the marathan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

DeclanRe wrote: »

Where is this Higuain bottler stuff coming from? I know he missed a penalty in the Copa America, but i can't think of anything else?

Missed a sitter in the world cup final. Still doesn't miss more chances than giroud.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We've signed 4 strikers since RVP left, at least one each window. One was a practical joke (Sonogo), one was a decent enough goal scorer but didn't really work out (Pod), one is an awful finisher but a decent enough squad player (Welbeck and the other is our current main striker but ultimately not good enough to carry the burden by themselves (Giroud).

The position hasn't been ignored just targets haven't been really up to scratch in terms of what we need.

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Agreed completely, like there are other players, but im not sure how many are a genuine improvement to Giroud. And if we are looking for an alternative we have Sanchez, with the Ox on the wing.

We have tried these alternatives and they dont work, how many times do we have to try it before deciding its just not the answer? Walcott is much better coming in from the wing he cant play CF, Welbeck is a better option than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How many times does it have to be said. To claim there are no players out there who can be got and who can improve us is deluded, we havent won a league in 10 years and get knocked out last 16 CL regularily.

There are plenty out there. Signing just Cech is appalling from everyone associated at that level in the club not just Wenger.

Every top team in world football can find and 'try' to improve there squad. It amazes me the amount of Arsenal fans that fall at the feet of the club and Wenger to defend the constant lack of ambition
    When a team brings in Ozil, Cech and Alexis Sanchez over the past two years I don't think it's fair to say there is a lack of ambition.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We've signed 4 strikers since RVP left, at least one each window. One was a practical joke (Sonogo), one was a decent enough goal scorer but didn't really work out (Pod), one is an awful finisher but a decent enough squad player (Welbeck and the other is our current main striker but ultimately not good enough to carry the burden by themselves (Giroud).

The position hasn't been ignored just targets haven't been really up to scratch in terms of what we need.

Welbeck and Podolski are two wingers though or maybe second strikers but none are like for like with Giroud/Van Persie. Sonogo was a joke though, agreed!.

We are well resourced now to buy two players in this bracket, sure look at the last window we bought Sanchez and a lot more. I get for us it will be a marathan and not a sprint in building the squad but to sign just Cech this year is not enough even for the marathan.

Agreed. If Wenger can sign a world class striker for £50-60m, I have no doubt that he would. I just don't think there's any world class strikers out there in that bracket who will come to us.

If United can't tempt one with what they would be willing to pay in transfer fees and wages, then we are relying purely on benefiting from a domino effect and/or a bit of Wenger magic.

Lets call it 3 :)

Pod was a stop gap always had that feel to it but agree he was an option.
    Welbeck was a panic buy when Giroud got injured but he is a good option and still is just short of the level you really want though
    Giroud was a quality signing for what we paid.

Higuain and Giroud would be spot on for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

why not. The money that is there to spend today, is the same money that was there 2/3 years ago.

Probably the same money that's gonna be there in 2/3 years time also.

eagle eye wrote: »
    When a team brings in Ozil, Cech and Alexis Sanchez over the past two years I don't think it's fair to say there is a lack of ambition.

its over 3 summer transfer windows not 2!

When that team needed those players and more and still has huge amounts of money in the bank it really does.

Listen we have made improvements and we have signed players but you and I know that if only Cech is signed this summer then that is not good enough.

Its okay to admit that and still place your faith in Wenger/Club

We're all gonna be a very pissed off group of supporters this season.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Welbeck and Podolski are two wingers though or maybe second strikers but none are like for like with Giroud/Van Persie. Sonogo was a joke though, agreed!.

They aren't wingers just average strikers who get shunted out there.
    Lets call it 3 :)

Pod was a stop gap always had that feel to it but agree he was an option.
    Welbeck was a panic buy when Giroud got injured but he is a good option and still is just short of the level you really want though
    Giroud was a quality signing for what we paid.

Higuain and Giroud would be spot on for me

Agree 100%

its over 3 summer transfer windows not 2!

When that team needed those players and more and still has huge amounts of money in the bank it really does.

Listen we have made improvements and we have signed players but you and I know that if only Cech is signed this summer then that is not good enough.

Its okay to admit that and still place your faith in Wenger/Club

No, I agree we need to sign someone else. I'm just not completely unrealistic.

Reports are currently saying that the Martial to United fee could rise to €80m. You can't tell me that there aren't loads of other players they wouldn't prefer for that kind of money?

Ozil was only signed two years ago, and this window hasn't closed.....which is why I said last two years. You can come back to me on Wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

5star02707 wrote: »
    Here's to us hoping for Wenger to pull a magic trick! If by the end of the day we don;t sign anyone I expect us to sign players on January.

And when we dont sign them in January, there's always deadline day next summer to look forward to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Apparently we have a medical booked today for somebody, maybe a world class striker

Apparently we have a medical booked today for somebody, maybe a world class striker

Elaborate >_<

Probably Diaby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Benzema and Higuain must have agreed to share the one medical.

Says who? Is Kallstrom coming back?

Just seen this on euro sport how reliable it is I have no idea
    http://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive/arsenal-transfer-news-gunners-schedule-medical

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/goonerdave66/status/638280164980453376

https://twitter.com/ElliotR1971/status/638281155205328897

Guessing it's stemming from these tweets, even if something is happening it's going to be underwhelming, if it was anyone decent we'd know who at this stage.

https://twitter.com/goonerdave66/status/638280164980453376

https://twitter.com/ElliotR1971/status/638281155205328897

Guessing it's stemming from these tweets, even if something is happening it's going to be underwhelming, if it was anyone decent we'd know who at this stage.
    Ozil was a well kept secret iirc.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ozil was a well kept secret iirc.

There was rumours flying around for a couple of days I thought in Ozil's case before a medical or anything had been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Suddenly that kid from Leicester looks a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Charlie Austin :P

(ok I'll get my coat!)

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »

(ok I'll get my coat!)

It's getting to the point in the night where the lights are coming on and the DJ will be playing the national anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It's getting to the point in the night where the lights are coming on and the DJ will be playing the national anthem.

Dammit we've got to score ok ok we'll go for the chubby one then :P

Maybe we can still get Zigic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gandalf wrote: »

(ok I'll get my coat!)

Some people (no one with any credibility, obviously!) are suggesting Austin to Bournemouth and Callum Wilson to us.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Have to admit I havent heard of him. Can he play up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well that's just one seriously depressing list. Hope to god its not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

keano_afc wrote: »

Provides a lot of service.

Well that's just one seriously depressing list. Hope to god its not true.

But we only want "exceptional talent" that will improve the first team. If one of them happens, I cant wait to hear the excuses.

keano_afc wrote: »

Played mostly as a second striker I believe. Always rated him.

As good as mahrez has been in the league this month, alexis plays his position so I wouldn't see the point in going for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Lovely to be getting all of these sponsorship deals and getting extra revenue to sign more players..... Oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hmm, Indosat is an anagram of Di Santo. Franco Di Santo is the man!

But we only want "exceptional talent" that will improve the first team. If one of them happens, I cant wait to hear the excuses.

I don't think anyone will be happy if he doesn't sign someone who pushes for a first team place, or pushes one of our starting 11 out.

Just buying anyone keeps all the people happy who just want Wenger to spend money, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

This is from BBC about Cavani:

"IN THE FRAME? Arsenal

WHY? Arsenal desperately need a striker to augment the brilliance of Alexis Sanchez. Olivier Giroud is serviceable and effective but the suspicion remains he is still just short of the very top class.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger had a perfect platform to build from after a superb run towards the end of last season which saw them retain the FA Cup - but even he admits their start to the season has been "very average".

Cavani is the sort of high-profile figure that will not only ease the frustrations of supporters who want to see Arsenal move into the elite market again, but also the sort of striker who might just give them that added dimension to mount a serious title challenge.

HOW MUCH WILL HE COST? £50m

WHERE WILL HE FIT IN? The 28-year-old has a consistent history of goalscoring, with 78 in 104 appearances for Napoli and 34 in 66 for PSG.
    He could be the spearhead of Arsenal's attack with his powerful frame and allow the likes of Sanchez, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mesut Ozil and Jack Wilshere to work around him, depending on what the occasion demands.

WILL IT HAPPEN? Wenger has been dropping subtle hints that he is up to something in the transfer market - and proved he can pull off the spectacular late deal by luring Ozil from Real Madrid for £42.4m on deadline day two years ago.

VERDICT: Will be a spectacular coup if Arsenal can pull it off because PSG will drive a fierce bargain - but the Gunners are up to something."

:D

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34091368

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement