Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Did he sign it?

I thought he didn't.

I remember Wenger telling in one of his pressers, a new contract wasn't offered to him yet...if he signed, then this news is c**p

Arseblog confirm he wasn't offered a contract yet...

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/08/no-new-deal-on-the-cards-for-monreal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

United going for Martial actually backs up what we've been saying about nobody decent being available. You've all watched him play twice btw, so if you don't know who he is its because he didn't leave any impression.. and Monreal is going nowhere use your heads

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Did he sign it?

I thought he didn't.

Someone here said he had. Must be true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Would the Opinion be same, if we had spent 25+ Mil on him only a season ago...I doubt.

Yes because Flamini and Arteta aren't adequate competition for him.

A title winning side needs strength in depth as well as a strong 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

AdamD wrote: »
    United going for Martial actually backs up what we've been saying about nobody decent being available. You've all watched him play twice btw, so if you don't know who he is its because he didn't leave any impression..

Watched him in the recent U21 tourney too - where he was in the team of the tournament.

He isn't a player for today, but he is the exact type of player you would see Wenger turning WC over the course of 3 or 4 years - pacy with good control.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    Someone here said he had. Must be true :D

I said he had, I was convinced it was confirmed he signed a 4 year contract!

Yes because Flamini and Arteta aren't adequate competition for him.

A title winning side needs strength in depth as well as a strong 11

True, but who competes with Matic for his spot? Fabregas for his? Hazard? Costa?

I still think improvement if what we should be aiming for, especially up front. I've been happy with what I've seen of Arteta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Soups123 wrote: »

It was on the table I think but he didn't sign.

Soups123 wrote: »

Arseblog saying he wasn't offered contract extension yet.

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/08/no-new-deal-on-the-cards-for-monreal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't think anyone has said they want a DMF because Coq was cheap. We want competition for him incase he gets injured or his form dips.

And for when he is suspended. He won't be long hitting the card limit and I'll be mightily surprised if he doesn't pick up a few red cards due to the way he plays.

• Advertisement

True, but who competes with Matic for his spot? Fabregas for his? Hazard? Costa?

I still think improvement if what we should be aiming for, especially up front. I've been happy with what I've seen of Arteta.

You'd have to ask a Chelsea fan that question.

We have direct competition in all positions on the team bar CF and DMF.

Arteta ain't up to it. No one even said go out and spend lots on a DMF Flamini should have been moved on and young prospect should have been brought in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think I said this on here before, but teams don't tend to have more than one decent out and out DM in the squad as far as I can see. That's just my observation of course. Usually there would be players who are comfortable playing a few roles in the centre like Schneiderlin for Southampton last season for example. I think between Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshire (when fit) and worst comes to worst Flamini we have more than enough in the squad to deal with an injury to Coquelin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Arteta ain't up to it. No even said go out and spend lots on a DMF Flamini should have been moved on and young prospect should have been brought in.

Bielek (sp?) is that young prospect. He could break through, couldnt' he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Why would we sell our first choice left back? He's playing well, appears popular in the squad, is no hassle. It's a non story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jester77 wrote: »
    And for when he is suspended. He won't be long hitting the card limit and I'll be mightily surprised if he doesn't pick up a few red cards due to the way he plays.

I don't buy that at all. Granted he was reckless against Palace and picked up a few yellows when he was first brought back from Charlton but that has proved to be the exception, not the rule.

Obviously someone in his position is bound to pick up the odd yellow over the course of a season but I don't see picking up much in the way of red cards (although it is always possible, even Coutinho got one on Saturday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arteta ain't up to it. No one even said go out and spend lots on a DMF Flamini should have been moved on and young prospect should have been brought in.

I think Arteta has looked solid in the few minutes he's played this season. If his injury woes are behind him he could be a very important player for us again.

And Bielik is the young prospect that has been brought in.

I use them as an example because they're the current champions

Pter wrote: »
    Bielek (sp?) is that young prospect. He could break through, couldnt' he?

A bit to young imo and I'm guessing Wenger isn't looking at him breaking through to first team football thus year there's been no mention of him and I think if Wenger saw it like that Flamini would be gone by now in the least

We have Arteta as back up and Bielik is the prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Can't wait for the inevitable ornstein tweet and thus place goes into meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

CNvnBlDWsAAo86a.jpg:large

Draxler gone to Wolfsburg :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Think the term used was he had agreed a new contract believed to worth either 650 or 750 k. Personally I can't see it happening. Think we have the resources to stop that these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I reckon if I were a pro footballer (of any use) id spend all these days trolling fans on twitter
    Some people are so desperate they will read anything minor, put 2+2 together and get 5 and then the rumours snowball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Joel Campbell staying is a surprise

CNvxos3WoAEwAEU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why did we hang onto Miyaichi for so long? It was clear along time ago he was never going to feature for us, spent most of his few years out on loan and now gone to the German 2nd division

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why did we hang onto Miyaichi for so long? It was clear along time ago he was never going to feature for us, spent most of his few years out on loan and now gone to the German 2nd division

The sane could have been said about Coquelin until last year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Higuain hasn't travelled with the Argentina squad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Looks like Campbell on his way out

Surely they will be 1 in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Its not astonishing as it happens so often but im like so many here in my disbeleif we havent addressed our outfield issues. and i dont understand we when we do choose to sign someone its often left to the last minute. it really beggers belief. i dont even care about "world class" anymore, how many wc players do we even have? we need to strengthen numbers to cope with the demands of the season and for the annual injury crisis. still time but i dont see anything happening. maybe a kallstrom like joke. how they seriously think they can compete with the current squad really is truly beyond me

Looks like Campbell on his way out

Surely they will be 1 in

On loan or permanent? We're to?

Deleted twitter ages ago decided I'd download it today keep me up to date in work and stupid Google play stir us acting the maggot and not downloading it

• Advertisement

Its not astonishing as it happens so often but im like so many here in my disbeleif we havent addressed our outfield issues. and i dont understand we when we do choose to sign someone its often left to the last minute. it really beggers belief. i dont even care about "world class" anymore, how many wc players do we even have? we need to strengthen numbers to cope with the demands of the season and for the annual injury crisis. still time but i dont see anything happening. maybe a kallstrom like joke. how they seriously think they can compete with the current squad really is truly beyond me

This squad has shown they are able to compete. The second half of last season wasn't a fluke, the team were playing well together and it was relatively injury free.

As was pointed out on Arsecast Extra today, to win the league you need to score roughly 83 goals. Last year we got something like 72. Currently we are on 3 goals after 4 games. City are on 10. We need to score more goals, and although they can partially come from within, we need somebody who can score off all of the chances we are creating. I'm sure this isn't lost on Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's the team with the best defense that wins the league more often than the one with the best attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's the team with the best defense that wins the league more often than the one with the best attack

Maybe but you also have to score.
    Sky Sports showed over the weekend that we have had the most shots but only 1 goal and 2 OG's to show for it.

Not a hope of winning the league with Giroud/Walcott up front.

batistuta9 wrote: »

True. A couple of years ago, Chelsea only conceded 27 goals but came third, because City and Liverpool scored over 100 goals each.

I would prefer we did well in the league while scoring a truckload of goals. We definitely create enough chances. If we were only converting 1 in 10 chances, we would already be pushing 10 goals this season...it's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Supposedly Wenger is in Paris. World class troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

And flew economy class...he doesn't even spend his own money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

On his way to get Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Probably off getting hole from that French one he was ploughing.

The sooner this window closes the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

France playing internationals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Or just doing his standard TV gig in France during the International break? :pac:

I do genuinely think something is going on in background here, usually it's put to bed early enough by the likes of Ornstein if we aren't doing anything but he's conspicuously quiet. So I'd say something is going on alright.

At this stage it's unlikely to come off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The sooner this window closes the better.

Don't close it too quickly or Wenger could get his lad caught in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Everybody else is getting shiny new players, waddabout us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd love a cheeky punt at Berainho at this stage or even Charlie Austin

United on the other hand are mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Beautiful way with words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    First Tuesday Club of the season is out (at last).

since last thursday
    Maybe but you also have to score.
    Sky Sports showed over the weekend that we have had the most shots but only 1 goal and 2 OG's to show for it.
    True. A couple of years ago, Chelsea only conceded 27 goals but came third, because City and Liverpool scored over 100 goals each.

I would prefer we did well in the league while scoring a truckload of goals. We definitely create enough chances. If we were only converting 1 in 10 chances, we would already be pushing 10 goals this season...it's crazy.

yeah, but keep creating them & they'll go in.
    whatever about signings, i'm looking forward to see how welbeck gets on this year, surely he has to be thinking he can displace giroud in the team easily enough & play as CF, otherwise he'll end up as a jobber out wide for arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Am I alone in thinking Welbeck is pretty poor up the wing? Always has been, he was with united anyway. Not sure why we bought him just to use him in the wrong position. He's far better playing CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Wenger on a flight to Paris. I hope it's for Cavani. :D

11951839_10204496663768774_4763318680673755236_n.jpg?oh=fa21c2207f3862dd5fc003aecd35fc28&oe=5681BEB0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd take a one year deal for Zlatan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement