Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's enough in the squad to cover Coquelin, don't give a crap if we don't sign a DM. No striker is unforgivable though, just as baffling as not getting a CB last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's enough in the squad to cover Coquelin, don't give a crap if we don't sign a DM. No striker is unforgivable though, just as baffling as not getting a CB last year.
    100% agree, kinda why the Rabiot link isnt really exciting me! Be deligthed with him but we can manage there.

If we dont bring in something there we only have OG who is a CF in our squad, I would have rather we kept Akpom and had some alternative of sorts.

For me Walcott and Welbeck whilst they offer options out wide are not going to solve any problems in centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

jester77 wrote: »
    I think a bit of perspective is needed regarding the transfer window. We have a pretty solid squad, if we are adding then we need to be adding world class. We need a backup DM and starting CF. We have a very strong midfield and we can change formation easily. CF is an issue, but the talent was simply not available. Look at what Liverpool and Utd just paid for CFs, ridiculous amounts for average or unheard of players. I'm glad Wenger is not panic buying like other clubs and I am disappointed we didn't get a world class CF, but at least we are not throwing around silly money. Unfortunately I think we will struggle with goals in comparison to Chelsea and City which could lead us to contesting 3/4th again.

We need to be adding someone who is better than Giroud, world class is probably not attainable realistically. There is definitely a small market for top strikers but we buy the company line on this too much. This should have been the No.1 priority for us, probably for as long 18 months now.

Maybe playing Alexis up front with Walcott on the wing is an option. Aguero is similar in stature(not the same players I know!) to Alexis and City seem to do ok goalswise.

Something needs to give imo, we will probably win a few games with Grioud up top now, but overall can we win the league with him, mostly likely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mickeroo wrote: »

Agreed I would have liked a DM but it's nowhere near as important as a CF is.

Having Giroud as our only recognised CF is criminal a man needs a ton of chances to convert one and has the pace of a turtle just isn't good enough for a club like Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Having Giroud as our only recognised CF is criminal a man needs a ton of chances to convert one and has the pace of a turtle just isn't good enough for a club like Arsenal.

Turtles are strong swimmers. Don't go dragging turtles down, i turtley won't stand for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I'm glad all these confirmations of what we already know are coming through now. Means I wont be getting my hopes up and constantly checking online. We're not signing anyone

We are gonna miss out on the manager switches next year too.

If we don't sign a CF I think we should at least recall Akpom and give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We are gonna miss out on the manager switches next year too.
    This year was the year to get Klopp in my opinion. The merry-go-round will start again next year and we'll be stuck with Garry Monk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Build a new stadium they said.

compete with the big boys they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If we don't sign a CF I think we should at least recall Akpom and give him a chance.

Or re-sign Afobe.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Or re-sign Afobe.

He'd cost us money when he couldn't cut it the first time, at least Akpom is ours recall him and give him a chance. Has to be worth a try with options we have.

Quazzie wrote: »
    This year was the year to get Klopp in my opinion. The merry-go-round will start again next year and we'll be stuck with Garry Monk.

Haven't you heard? In they Liverpool thread they're saying Klopp is already lined up for when Rogers has a bad run. He likes Liverpool and has huge respect for their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Time to get the best out of what we have

Really hope Welbeck will have a breakthrough season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Flamini on the move it seems:

FLAMINI SET FOR EXIT?

Arsenal fans will want their club to bring in a few new faces today but there could be movement the other way with Mathieu Flamini possibly heading for the Emirates exit door, according to the Daily Mail.

The report claims the Frenchman is surplus to requirements at the Gunners and can leave the club today.

Galatasaray are thought to be interested in the French midfielder. - Skysports

Even Rooney doesn't know who Martial is

"To be honest, yesterday on the plane, Wayne Rooney came to speak to me and asked me who Martial was, because the English press had started to speak," said Schneiderlin.

"I told him he’s a great player with great potential, who has played some good matches with Monaco last season and the beginning of this."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Even Rooney doesn't know who Martial is

"To be honest, yesterday on the plane, Wayne Rooney came to speak to me and asked me who Martial was, because the English press had started to speak," said Schneiderlin.

"I told him he’s a great player with great potential, who has played some good matches with Monaco last season and the beginning of this."

Thats because he's more use to extra-Martial activities.

/gets coat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Some say it's martial law over on the United thread...

/getscoat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Build a new stadium they said.

compete with the big boys they said.

yes by buying players such as Sanchez and Ozil and keeping hold of everyone else it is proving to be a success. Ok this window has been a bit of a disaster but the strategy was the right one.

The real killer has been the virtual ending of FFP. Essentially this means to be a success you need a rich benefactor. Fair play to City and Chelsea for adopting the right financial strategy.

greendom wrote: »
    yes by buying players such as Sanchez and Ozil and keeping hold of everyone else it is proving to be a success. Ok this window has been a bit of a disaster but the strategy was the right one.

The real killer has been the virtual ending of FFP. Essentially this means to be a success you need a rich benefactor. Fair play to City and Chelsea for adopting the right financial strategy.

No point of us getting a rich owner that is willing to invest if we arent even gonna spend what we have right now. New owner and manager should give us a fresh start.

So waiting till the last day, hoping that something pops up was the correct strategy to use. Give it over will ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

we have wellbeck, walcott and sanchez to play CF mate

So waiting till the last day, hoping that something pops up was the correct strategy to use. Give it over will ya.

I've no idea what happened over the course of the transfer window and I'm not going to guess. I was talking about the direction and financial strategy of the club, not this window.

• Advertisement

No point of us getting a rich owner that is willing to invest if we arent even gonna spend what we have right now. New owner and manager should give us a fresh start.

Wenger will spend if the right player is available.

It looks like that's not been the case this Summer.

we have wellbeck, walcott and sanchez to play CF mate

Walcott and Sanchez aren't centre forwards. Welbeck didn't exactly set the world alight and Giroud is a good squad player in the Wiltord mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Essentially this means to be a success you need a rich benefactor.

It's definitely helps anyway.

See the design for Chelsea's new stadium is out. Talk of 500 million, and says will be paid for by Roman. Is that true? Can 500 million just move from Roman to Chelsea like that, or is ther3 more to it?

Rich benefactor excuse is a crock of **** really Chelsea now are self sufficient something most people choose to ignore, do Bayern Munich, Juventus, Athletico Madrid etc live off rich benefactor's?

Plus were not exactly in the depths squalor we could easily spend 100 million so please stop playing that card.

Christ sake even Newcastle have spent 50 million this summer

Rich benefactor excuse is a crock of **** really Chelsea now are self sufficient something most people choose to ignore, do Bayern Munich, Juventus, Athletico Madrid etc live off rich benefactor's?

Plus were not exactly in the depths squalor we could easily spend 100 million so please stop playing that card.

Would we want any player that Newcastle purchased? We are looking for an elite level centre forward. It's plain to see they are not 2 a penny, just look at what Man U spent on a prospect.

• Advertisement

Walcott and Sanchez aren't centre forwards. Welbeck didn't exactly set the world alight and Giroud is a good squad player in the Wiltord mould.

sanchez is a CF mate, just play him up top and job done. Wellbeck has only had one season at arsenal.

give him time and Giroud is above average as a CF. The only players that are better then him are the suarez and the agguero's and those players are not cheap or easily available

Chelsea may be self-sufficient now, but they still have sugar-daddy to back them up...that's why they can sign anybody they want and if it doesn't work they can loan him out in six months time eg: Salah, Cuadrado et al..they have 28 players on loan away from Chelsea...

But Arsenal can't do that...it's hard money so they have to be careful and spend it Wisely...

Would we want any player that Newcastle purchased? We are looking for an elite level centre forward. It's plain to see they are not 2 a penny, just look at what Man U spent on a prospect.

No we wouldn't want any player they signed.

But you just blamed money being the issue holding us back as to why we can't be successful.

I just pointed out that the money excuse is tired and over used we have lots of money and even Newcastle can afford to splash 50 million around the place as an example that your excuse is invalid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah there's no excuse for leaving the squad a player short two seasons in a row, it's just incompetence plain and simple. I fully accept there aren't any world class strikers available at the moment but that doesn't excuse going into the season with only one decent option up front.

Stop being so pedantic. The Newcastle reference is obviously in reference to the amount not the players.

No we wouldn't want any player they signed.

But you just blamed money being the issue holding us back as to why we can't be successful.

I just pointed out that the money excuse is tired and over used we have lots of money and even Newcastle can afford to splash 50 million around the place as an example that your excuse is invalid.

like i said before, only world class players like agguero and that bloke from Juv/Chile(the DM) can upgrade our team and those players aint bloody easy to get.

its pointless getting a dm or a cf thats barely better then what we have now.

At this moment in time, only a world class player can join us, not another squad/average player. complete waste of time and money.

Stop being so pedantic. The Newcastle reference is obviously in reference to the amount not the players.

So you're of the belief that if you have the money, it should be spent....regardless of whether it improves the team?

sanchez is a CF mate, just play him up top and job done. Wellbeck has only had one season at arsenal.

give him time and Giroud is above average as a CF. The only players that are better then him are the suarez and the agguero's and those players are not cheap or easily available

Job done we tried Sanchez last season as a CF it didn't work so clearly not job done.

And yes Giroud is average we need a world class CF. Giroud isn't fit to lace the boots of our past CFs .

Basil3 wrote: »
    So you're of the belief that if you have the money, it should be spent....regardless of whether it improves the team?
    I'll make it as simple as possible. The reference to Newcastle was made to show that the excuse, that we don't have money isn't valid.

Job done we tried Sanchez last season as a CF it didn't work so clearly not job done.

And yes Giroud is average we need a world class CF. Giroud isn't fit to lace the boots of our past CFs .

we hardly played him at cf. one or two games as a cf every 2 months is not enough. play him as a cf for a whole 2months and u will see he is up for the task.

Giroud is above average, on a scale of 1-10 his easily a 6.5/7

Only 8+ will be a worthy upgrade and anyone above 8+ is someone like agguero, suarez etc.

Name me a 8+ player thats available??

Benzema is barely any better then Giroud. a 7/7.5. his not on the same level as agguero or suarez so his a waste of time IMO

• Advertisement

I might get slated for this but all we had to compete against for Sanchez was Liverpool.

Hardly shows we are able to compete with the big boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

really thought we'd get some sort of alternative to Giroud. Didnt think it would be an upgrade but maybe a younger different type of striker.

Giroud is the only player in our squad who can play up front on his own. Welbeck is much better on the wing (but still no good I think) and Walcott and Sanchez arent great in the center either.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I might get slated for this but all we had to compete against for Sanchez was Liverpool.

Hardly shows we are able to compete with the big boys.

and city

we hardly played him at cf. one or two games as a cf every 2 months is not enough. play him as a cf for a whole 2months and u will see he is up for the task.

Giroud is above average, on a scale of 1-10 his easily a 6.5/7

Only 8+ will be a worthy upgrade and anyone above 8+ is someone like agguero, suarez etc.

Name me a 8+ player thats available??

Benzema is barely any better then Giroud. a 7/7.5. his not on the same level as agguero or suarez so his a waste of time IMO

So your telling me in the last two years a CF better than Giroud hasnt moved clubs? Its not just this window we have needed a CF.

Drexel wrote: »
    really thought we'd get some sort of alternative to Giroud. Didnt think it would be an upgrade but maybe a younger different type of striker.

Giroud is the only player in our squad who can play up front on his own. Welbeck is much better on the wing (but still no good I think) and Walcott and Sanchez arent great in the center either.

sanoogo?

So your telling me in the last two years a CF better than Giroud hasnt moved clubs? Its not just this window we have needed a CF.

bar suarez. no one else

I'll make it as simple as possible. The reference to Newcastle was made to show that the excuse, that we don't have money isn't valid.

Wenger certainly isn't saying we don't have the money. The players we want aren't available.

That said, I still don't think we would pay a player £250,000+ a week in wages like some other clubs would.

But the difficulty we have is in finding the right players that want to come and that the club they are currently contracted to want to sell. No pedantry involved!

• Advertisement

and city

I clearly remember Pelligrini saying he loved Sanchez but they had only bought navas and had no room for Sanchez.

Unless you remember it different?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement