Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Jeremy Wilson
    JWTelegraph

Wenger rationale was no point if not improving on Giroud/Welbeck/Sanchez/Walcott and, barring late change, likes of Benz/Cavani unavailable

One final caveat, Arsenal were also not expecting anything on morning Welbeck signed but seems unlikely now unless things change elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bellerin has been called up to the Spain squad. Fair play to him.

How many of these teams have lost a player that needs to be replaced, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Bellerin has been called up to the Spain squad. Fair play to him.

Soon he will be poached by barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Soon he will be poached by barca

Yep they'll find the proverbial Barca DNA in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bar suarez. no one else

Costa, Martinez and Lewandowski to name three and that's without even doing any research.

Basil3 wrote: »
    How many of these teams have lost a player that needs to be replaced, I wonder?

Sure looking at it that way Cech was only a replacement too. You can replace and upgrade like we did in goals.

greendom wrote: »
    But the difficulty we have is in finding the right players that want to come and that the club they are currently contracted to want to sell. No pedantry involved!

But in your initial post you blamed money and needing a rich benefactor which was bull****.

So now your moving the lines or your original statement ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Costa, Martinez and Lewandowski to name three and that's without even doing any research.

martinez is barely any better then giroud and Lewandowski as well.

Only costa out of that set of players make a decent upgrade over giroud and he still not on Suarez or agguero's level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But in your initial post you blamed money and needing a rich benefactor which was bull****.

So now your moving the lines or your original statement ;).

It's a complex situation - we're not dealing in black and whites or straight lines :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

martinez is barely any better then giroud and Lewandowski as well.

Only costa out of that set of players make a decent upgrade over giroud and he still not on Suarez or agguero's level
    I think you're really over rating Giroud if you think he couldn't be upgraded with Lewandowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Now we can move on

It's a complex situation - we're not dealing in black and whites or straight lines :)

Says your man whose initial excuse got found out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Now we can move on

Yep - Have a good day guys! I'm switching off from all of this

3rd or 4th this year lads?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think you're really over rating Giroud if you think he couldn't be upgraded with Lewandowski.

How could we get Lewandowski? Why would Bayern sell their only no 9 ?

It depends if United click or not to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Depends on the teams around us really. City will win the league, if Chelsea get the finger out they'll finish second. 3rd is probably where we'll finish.

• Advertisement

How could we get Lewandowski? Why would Bayern sell their only no 9 ?
    Will you please try and keep up. He moved in 2014 so he is included in the list of players, better than Giroud who have moved clubs in the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I've never said this before, and never wanted anyone else. But I think it might be best if Wenger steps down after this season :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

No excuses for Wenger now, a title challenge at the very least is what I and the fans should accept now. He has gone through the whole summer and hasn't added any outfield player and only spent over £10m. This from one of the richest clubs in the world.

If we don't challenge for the title, what's the excuse? As there is clearly money there and it hasn't been spent again. We are one or two players short again from having a great team. I'll still support the team through thick and thin. I'll believe we can win the title until it's mathematically impossible, but this is extremely frustrating as a fan.

Says your man whose initial excuse got found out ;)

We can't compete wtih the likes of City or Chelsea while they can spend what they when they want. They have benefactors to turn to and don't need to balance books.

At the same time while the club has managed to build a decent cash surplus to go and buy players, the right ones have not been out there. We have not been able to persuade them to come or their clubs to sell them.

So yes Newcastle may have spent 50m on players, but are any of those purchases at a level that could improve the Arsenal squad?

Wont be a truer word spoken all day

https://twitter.com/PR_WhoRu/status/638659230870970368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fair play to Bellerin getting called up to the Spanish squad, what an improvement he's made in just a year. Said it plenty of times he's gonna be a star.

And I'm sure Barcelona are well aware of how he's progressed since we got him off them so I'd be weary of them trying to buy him in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We don't pay super club wages.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    We don't pay super club wages.

Arsene shouldnt be getting super club wages so.

We can't compete wtih the likes of City or Chelsea while they can spend what they when they want. They have benefactors to turn to and don't need to balance books.

At the same time while the club has managed to build a decent cash surplus to go and buy players, the right ones have not been out there. We have not been able to persuade them to come or their clubs to sell them.

So yes Newcastle may have spent 50m on players, but are any of those purchases at a level that could improve the Arsenal squad?

Again you initially said you need a rich benefactor to be successful and I gave examples if clubs would don't have one and are successful.

You said other clubs dont have the money to compete which again was wrong I used Newcastle as an example of a so called smaller club even having the resources to spend 50 million.

The bottom line is no you don't need a rich benefactor and we do have lots of money we can easily spend big on players were just terrible at transfer window we rely on opportunistic deals when it comes to big transfers.

Plenty of players have moved who could improve us our squad or first team so to not sign one single outfield player is criminal.

• Advertisement

"It’s very unlikely Arsenal will make any signings before the deadline. They explored a few options but nothing even got off the ground, let alone coming close. Almost certainly no ins or outs today for the Gunners." - Ornstein.

Seriously, how do you go about getting a job with the 24 hour transfer team? You seem to do about as much the official that stands beside the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Is Gomis better than Giroud?

Think we might finish 2nd, an aguero injury and they might not look so strong. We look so out of form at the moment though.

MaxPower89 wrote: »

Think we might finish 2nd, an aguero injury and they might not look so strong. We look so out of form at the moment though.

A Coquelin/Giroud injury and we're boned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

MaxPower89 wrote: »

Hard to tell as Giroud is most definitely off form and Gomis is most definitely on form. Gomis looks a player at the moment, but i wonder how long it will last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Agreed I would have liked a DM but it's nowhere near as important as a CF is.

Having Giroud as our only recognised CF is criminal a man needs a ton of chances to convert one and has the pace of a turtle just isn't good enough for a club like Arsenal.

We'll know all about that when Coq is injured or suspended and we're relying on Arteta or Flamini against a team like City or Chelsea who can break at speed.

Wenger's problem is dithering too long over what's needed and it's snapped from his grasp or his wish list. You need to get your important business done early in the window, not at the last minute when all the good players have been bought.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Will you please try and keep up. He moved in 2014 so he is included in the list of players, better than Giroud who have moved clubs in the last two years.

maybe you could learn to drop the condescension ?

Anyway the deal between Lewandoski and Bayern was set in stone as soon as he decided not to renew his contract with Dortmund. He was never an option for Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How many "good" players were available to us during this window that were in the positions that needed strengthening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

gandalf wrote: »
    How many "good" players were available to us during this window that were in the positions that needed strengthening?

There were some DM players but Wenger obviously sees Coq as a starter, but a backup would have been nice.

For CF there were really none available that would have been an upgrade on what we have. Someone posted a nice breakdown of all the strikers that were available and only Higuain and Benzema had a better record than Giroud, plus you have to take into account that Giroud was not available for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Wenger and the team will need a good run now or the frustration in the stands at home games will increase noticeably game by game.

Over to Arsene and his players now I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

From readying the last few pages even some of the more regular positive posters are starting to smell the bull.

It amazes me how many Arsenal fans have been fooled into believing Arsene's messages about nothing in the market or nothing better than we have, look at some of the players that moved this summer, whilst not in our preferred positions a lot arguably improve or add something different to what we already have.

I get those who are really really pissed and I get those who are backing Wenger and the club to a point, I'm in the middle of both;

I'm pissed we have a manager who can't find weaknesses in himself or his team but not mad enough to think we are on deaths door, we may well put in a push for 2nd/3rd but when we get there we will see then what the extra signings may have done.

All we can hope for is that Giroud ups his game and Welbeck comes back and has improved drastically. At least he can run the channels.

Cech
    bellerin Gab Kos Monreal
    Coq
    Walcott santi Ozil alexis
    Welbeck

• Advertisement

Now we can move on

The very fact that we "explored options" means that Wenger knows we are not up to strength. If so it's criminal that we have waited until now and are empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The very fact that we "explored options" means that Wenger knows we are not up to strength. If so it's criminal that we have waited until now and are empty handed.

100%. If he tried so many avenues he knows we had gaps. He may not have been able to address all his problems but to not be able to address one of those outfield problems is criminal.

But hey he knows what he is doing, the crowd will be nothing like he has seen before if this back fires

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd take Kokorin now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

jester77 wrote: »
    There were some DM players but Wenger obviously sees Coq as a starter, but a backup would have been nice.

For CF there were really none available that would have been an upgrade on what we have. Someone posted a nice breakdown of all the strikers that were available and only Higuain and Benzema had a better record than Giroud, plus you have to take into account that Giroud was not available for 3 months.

Yeah but he is clearly on record as saying he will only buy if he sees someone that will improve the 1st team so a back up for Coq was never on. Wenger sees Arteta as that.

I'm not sure if Benzema was making positive noises towards Arsenal or not but it is very clear now that he doesn't want to move and unless RM has a replacement lined up for him it never was a possibility.

As for Higuain the price being quoted for him is crazy, again I don't see Napoli selling him especially as they can't replace him now.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd take Kokorin now.

But its a pure panic buy? Is he of "exceptional quality"? If we wanted him, we could have got him in June.

I just can't believe that there wasn't a better striker than Giroud in the world that we could have got.

If we are waiting for someone as good as Aguero, we could be waiting a long time.

We could be here next year having the same debate.

Who is Kokorin?

People trying to slap other clubs for so called panic buys need to think again we panic loan players with broken backs.

But its a pure panic buy? Is he of "exceptional quality"? If we wanted him, we could have got him in June.

Taking a punt on a player like him seems like the only option now.

gandalf wrote: »

I would have bought Schneiderlin as he looks a good player to me. Was very impressive with Southampton and has started well with United.
    Don't know about CF as I don't follow continental football. Gomis looks good for Swansea imo. Better and has more presence than Welbeck for a start.

I would appreciate having either if we have injuries in those positions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement