Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH if we are going to panic buy I would prefer someone like Charlie Austin who at least is proven in the Premiership. (Plus it would give the medical staff more practice now that Diaby is gone :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Is Kokorin of exceptional quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

No to both Austin and Schneiderlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

If wenger signs him then yes he is ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Koko(rin) the clown?

His stats say "нет"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Kokorin and Coquelin in the same team, interesting.

But its a pure panic buy? Is he of "exceptional quality"? If we wanted him, we could have got him in June.

he was probably way down on the list of possible captures.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I saw that Kokorin loan story yesterday evening anyway, if there was truth to it it probably would have happened by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    No to both Austin and Schneiderlin.

So you would prefer to have Arteta as back-up rather than Schneiderlin.
    Remember when we went to Chelsea with Arteta as DM and we were hammered out the gate 6 nil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Anyone know anything about this Kokorin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"I decided against Kokorin as it would kill Akpom"

Adebayor is still available.....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this Kokorin?

I'd imagine everyone's knowledge of the player is from their wikipedia page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

keano_afc wrote: »
    Adebayor is still available.....
    He's more proven and has a better scoring record than Giroud

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I saw that Kokorin loan story yesterday evening anyway, if there was truth to it it probably would have happened by now.

Apparently a loan deal is not on as he is in the last year of his contract so Moscow want to sell.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's more proven and has a better scoring record than Giroud

Giroud brings far more to the team than Adebayor ever would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    Giroud brings far more to the team than Adebayor ever would.
    I should've put a smiley face at the end of that as it was a post made in jest.

So you would prefer to have Arteta as back-up rather than Schneiderlin.
    Remember when we went to Chelsea with Arteta as DM and we were hammered out the gate 6 nil?

Schneiderlin looks average enough to me. It's not ideal having arteta as back up enforcer granted.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I should've put a smiley face at the end of that as it was a post made in jest.

I'm on full defensive mode here so it would definitely have helped :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Next summer we will likely need:

A CB to replace Per
    2 CM's to replace Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky
    A top CF
    + Any other areas that turn into weaknesses over the season. So at least 4. The cycle will go on and on and on until there is a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

A CB to replace Per
    A top CF
    + Any other areas that turn into weaknesses over the season. So at least 4. The cycle will go on and on and on until there is a change.

And possible replacements needed for Ozil, Sanchez or Koscielny, who will want out, as they are sick of playing for 3rd/4th

German FA saying Ozil is fit for their matches so at least his injury isn't long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Can't wait for the deadline so we can stop the circular arguments about strikers, quality and transfers so we can back to the important issues and circular arguments about how **** is Giroud...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Martial must be the next Messi.

"Anthony Martial to Manchester United? Well, our man Saj Chowdhury has dug out this nugget... Monaco say the deal is 80m euros (£58.75m) including bonus. The club were reluctant to sell him until United raised the initial fee they were willing to pay to 60m euros (£44m).

That is one almighty amount of cash for a 19-year-old. More eye-watering than a onion enema." - BBC Sport.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    I just can't believe that there wasn't a better striker than Giroud in the world that we could have got.

If we are waiting for someone as good as Aguero, we could be waiting a long time.

We could be here next year having the same debate.

We want names!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

farna_boy wrote: »
    Can't wait for the deadline so we can stop the circular arguments about strikers, quality and transfers so we can back to the important issues and circular arguments about how **** is Giroud...

I was certainly not impressed by our football for the first 4 games. Very ordinary. Giroud looked overweight and unfit. Santi is off the boil too as is Ramsey. Walcott missing a lot of chances. Sanchez not fizzing yet.
    Bellerin, Nacho and Ozil very good.
    We need our sharpness back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What happens if we don't sign a DM or striker? Complete and utter meltdown? I just don't know, I knew this would happen but it's absolutely insanity to do the same thing year after year after year. Something has to change at the club. I'm so disheartened.

On a positive note, we have a settled side, who has won back-to-back FA Cups. They have good team unity, and they all know what it's like to beat Chelsea, City, United etc. I don't feel there's a mental block that used to exist.

Sure, we haven't strengthened at this stage, which is pretty disappointing, but look at some of the other clubs. Despite some people saying Arsenal can afford to get any player in the world, Chelsea couldn't even get Stones from Everton. Man U had to thrown crazy money at an unproven 19 year old. Liverpool only have a net spend around the same as us, I believe.

We have very few players in our squad that we should expect to be on a decline. On the flip side, we have many players who I'd be expecting to take it to another level such as Walcott, Wilshere, Welbeck, Ox.

Really disappointing window, but I hope these players click back into the form they had at the end of last season, and one or two have a breakthrough season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Football fans are a mad bunch. I dont think there is a more truer saying that "In football your only as good as your last game", I mean people comparing Gomis off Swansea to Giroud :pac: Giroud is a much much better player. I am annoyed as much as anybody that we havent added to our squad but lets face it who is available out there for us to get? Theres not a whole lot of talent out there and the ones that is out there are indespensible to there clubs.

Some on here would want us to buy players just for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A CB to replace Per
    A top CF

or...a CB to replace Gabriel on the bench cause we've already replaced Per

...1 CM to replace Arteta. You don't need to replace guys that can't get on the bench

a top CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If Cavani is actually available but we won't stump up the money for him then I just give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If Cavani is actually available but we won't stump up the money for him then I just give up.

Don't worry, he's not.

Who do PSG replace him with given their window is closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I don't know why we're so surprised. Sure Tayto lover told us back in July we'd be signing no one else!!! Truly is our boards ITK!!!

Then again the eternal optimist in me says it ain't six bells yet :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Look I am glad that we are not panic buying, need I remind anyone of Andre Santos and Park Chu Young ???
    Look at the money that Chelsea spent on Cuadrado on the last day of the last transfer window or Luiz Felipe or United on Di Maria or Liverpool on Balotelli, all a complete waste.
    We needs World Class players to improve us and for that to happen A)The club need to want to sell and B) the player wants to come. In Benzema's case neither criteria was forthcoming. In Cavani's case PSG did not want or have any need to sell. So hang onto the money and wait for the right opportunity to arise.
    Wenger cannot win sometimes, if he bought a player the was not successful then he would be hammered for why didn't he wait for the WC player, if he doesn't sign anyone then the 'there are plenty of players we could have signed brigade' will be out in force asking why no one was signed.

Look at Swansea for example, people wanted us to sign Michu a couple of years ago as he was better than Giroud supposedly. What's he doing now ?
    Why didn't we sign Andre Ayew or Gomis, I have heard the question asked ?? Well why didn't Man Utd sign them and they are in worse need of a striker than us.
    We have very good players who can be improved on but the players that could improve us are few and far betwenn and also need to be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Look I am glad that we are not panic buying, need I remind anyone of Andre Santos and Park Chu Young ???
    Look at the money that Chelsea spent on Cuadrado on the last day of the last transfer window or Luiz Felipe or United on Di Maria or Liverpool on Balotelli, all a complete waste.
    We needs World Class players to improve us and for that to happen A)The club need to want to sell and B) the player wants to come. In Benzema's case neither criteria was forthcoming. In Cavani's case PSG did not want or have any need to sell. So hang onto the money and wait for the right opportunity to arise.
    Wenger cannot win sometimes, if he bought a player the was not successful then he would be hammered for why didn't he wait for the WC player, if he doesn't sign anyone then the 'there are plenty of players we could have signed brigade' will be out in force asking why no one was signed.

Look at Swansea for example, people wanted us to sign Michu a couple of years ago as he was better than Giroud supposedly. What's he doing now ?
    Why didn't we sign Andre Ayew or Gomis, I have heard the question asked ?? Well why didn't Man Utd sign them and they are in worse need of a striker than us.
    We have very good players who can be improved on but the players that could improve us are few and far betwenn and also need to be available.

I'll take buying-buying over panic buying, and panic buying over not buying.

Basil3 wrote: »
    We want names!!

Here is a list I have compiled from the internet, maybe others more up on world football can comment on whether they are better than Giroud and whether we could have persuaded them to join Arsenal:

Antoine Griezmann
    Carlos Bacca
    Jonathas
    Alexandre Lacazette
    Max-Alain Gradel
    Claudio Beauvue
    Wissam Ben Yedder
    Rondon
    Quincy Promes

I don't really know who we should go for, as mentioned earlier Gomis was signed for nothing and looks very good to me. Ayew went to Swansea also and looks excellent, his brother(I think also plays in France).

Maybe all these names above are rubbish(I just looked at Spain, France and Russia), but surely our network of scouts can find someone better than Giroud. I like Giroud and he isn't bad, but he won't get us 25 goals, or 20 even.

We will most likely be in this position again at the end of the season. I really don't want to hear the "nobody of exceptional quality" then. Unless we are close to winning the league, why would a "world class" striker come to us anyway. Maybe we should be aiming for a 23 year old who is close to being excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Posts like this miss the point and really annoy me, giving random examples of transfer failures 100s of other transfers worked out for us and other clubs.

Panic buys will only happen because planned purchases were not done early enough. Its deluded of people to think there isnt a single outfield player in world football that could have improved us this season!!!

Wenger has spouted out a message since around July and its amazing how many have just took his word and repeated it.

WE havent signed an outfield player becaise our manager hasnt done his job. More worried about the bank balance than the team sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Cavani is coming

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Football fans are a mad bunch. I dont think there is a more truer saying that "In football your only as good as your last game", I mean people comparing Gomis off Swansea to Giroud :pac: Giroud is a much much better player. I am annoyed as much as anybody that we havent added to our squad but lets face it who is available out there for us to get? Theres not a whole lot of talent out there and the ones that is out there are indespensible to there clubs.

Some on here would want us to buy players just for the sake of it.

He is 25 and has scored 4 in 4, against Chelsea, Newcastle, Sunderland and United in his first 4 games in the league, so he ain't that bad. I watched him against United and his hold up plan was excellent and ran the channels all day.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Posts like this miss the point and really annoy me, giving random examples of transfer failures 100s of other transfers worked out for us and other clubs.

Panic buys will only happen because planned purchases were not done early enough. Its deluded of people to think there isnt a single outfield player in world football that could have improved us this season!!!

Wenger has spouted out a message since around July and its amazing how many have just took his word and repeated it.

WE havent signed an outfield player becaise our manager hasnt done his job. More worried about the bank balance than the team sheet

Disagree with this. He has shown in the last two windows that this isn't the case, and he's willing to spend.

I'm of the attitude that we have a pretty complete squad. When you talk about improving the team in general, we would need to be laying players off (apart from FW and DM).

Which players would you be giving the boot to make room, and who would you be bringing in? Just to spout that there are plenty of good players out there doesn't really mean much.

Cavani is coming

FS I don't want to hear about a South Americans sex life :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    Disagree with this. He has shown in the last two windows that this isn't the case, and he's willing to spend.

I'm of the attitude that we have a pretty complete squad. When you talk about improving the team in general, we would need to be laying players off (apart from FW and DM).

Which players would you be giving the boot to make room, and who would you be bringing in? Just to spout that there are plenty of good players out there doesn't really mean much.

Really? We havent won a league or competed for one for many a year yet you think we have a complete squad? Thats the mentality I dont get

Spouting that there arent any good players out there doesnt mean much, blind faith or failure to criticise doesnt make you a better fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Soups123 wrote: »
    Really? We havent won a league or competed for one for many a year yet you think we have a complete squad? Thats the mentality I dont get

Spouting that there arent any good players out there doesnt mean much, blind faith or failure to criticise doesnt make you a better fan

This is what bothers me. Last night the @GeoffArsenal AKB Twitter account (136k followers) just started calling disappointed fans "Anti-Arsenal" and sarcastically retweeting people calling the way Arsenal is run "a shambles".

One thing is certain now: Wenger is bigger than the club itself. Things will never change while he's manager/coach/head scout/director of football (all his current roles) and there will always be fans who swallow what he says whole and somehow think that makes them better fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement