Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

Soups123 wrote: »
    Really? We havent won a league or competed for one for many a year yet you think we have a complete squad? Thats the mentality I dont get

Spouting that there arent any good players out there doesnt mean much, blind faith or failure to criticise doesnt make you a better fan

Not sure where I was trying to make out I'm a better fan.....

Do you think the last half of last season was a fluke? Do you think us not having key injuries was part of it? You think that winning back to back FA Cups doesn't show that this squad can compete?

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign anyone, I think we need a better striker. I also don't have the attitude that there are lots of good players out there so we should just buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    He is 25

Bit pedantic, but he's 30, so it slightly alters the argument a little! He's not a player we're going to be able to work on and develop in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    You think that winning back to back FA Cups doesn't show that this squad can compete?
    Winning cups, even back to back cups, doesn't mean we're good enough for the league, and that's the one we want to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    Not sure where I was trying to make out I'm a better fan.....

Do you think the last half of last season was a fluke? Do you think us not having key injuries was part of it? You think that winning back to back FA Cups doesn't show that this squad can compete?

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign anyone, I think we need a better striker. I also don't have the attitude that there are lots of good players out there so we should just buy them.

Apologies I wasnt suggesting you do, my point was as fans we are okay to criticise, constantly defending the club is pointless.

I think I have seen the last half of last season in seasons before, the start of the season before as an example. Cup wins are good and delighted to win them but a club like us should have ambition beyond that.

I can't believe you do not see players in world football that can improve us and can be got excluding the Messi's and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Quazzie wrote: »
    Winning cups, even back to back cups, doesn't mean we're good enough for the league, and that's the one we want to win.

Didn't Wigan get to the FA Semi after winning it the previous year? Winning back to back FA cups is fantastic for the club, especially the fans but don't let it fool anyone into thinking it means we're "challenging" for bigger titles. Can we challenge? Yes I think so but I'm not as confident as I was pre season. Not by a long shot.

Is it worth considering that maybe Wenger fell for Mourinho's comments about buying the title? Would Wenger be afraid to splash the cash for fear of not winning it his way, by his principles? Obviously it was a troll comment as he nor CFC aren't concerned about buying success but he obviously mentioned it to specifically get at Wenger wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Really? We havent won a league or competed for one for many a year yet you think we have a complete squad? Thats the mentality I dont get

Spouting that there arent any good players out there doesnt mean much, blind faith or failure to criticise doesnt make you a better fan

100% correct.

We are already chasing Man City this year after 4 games.

We're bound to get our annual injury crisis which if Wenger uses as an excuse he can go jump.

It will be venomous at the net home game if the team don't start to shine.

Wenger reminds me of Clough. One of the great managers but stayed on too long and slowly destroyed his reputation. Albeit Clough won 2 European Cups and wasn't afraid of spending.

I have 2 season tickets and 2 memberships. The most expensive tickets in Europe. I would prefer Wenger to spend and blow the cash than it to sit in the bank account. We can afford to risk the cash. Look at Di Maria. A complete failure but didn't lose that much value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

hUZlS61.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Football fans are a mad bunch. I dont think there is a more truer saying that "In football your only as good as your last game", I mean people comparing Gomis off Swansea to Giroud :pac: Giroud is a much much better player. I am annoyed as much as anybody that we havent added to our squad but lets face it who is available out there for us to get? Theres not a whole lot of talent out there and the ones that is out there are indespensible to there clubs.

Some on here would want us to buy players just for the sake of it.

Nobody is saying Gomis is bettter than Giroud. He would have been good cover.
    He might well be better in time too. I said he's a better option than Welbeck anyway in my opinion.
    Let's see who scores the most goals this season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The meltdowns are brilliant both here and Twitter

What meltdown?

People are expressing how they feel about the lack of cover we have while others seem glad we have a huge bank balance.

I for one didn't expect any signings so i'm not disappointed. I am a little angry though. We could have challenged for a change. Can't see us above third now.

• Advertisement

The meltdowns are brilliant both here and Twitter

I disagree I dont see a meltdown here at all, I see defense of the club and manager and criticism of it but in equal enough proportions.

I think most are reasonably disapointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm losing my mind :pac:

There is no meltdown in this thread. I see a lot of discussion which is warranted but not a meltdown. You need to check other threads on the soccer forum for that at the moment :D

I disagree I dont see a meltdown here at all, I see defense of the club and manager and criticism of it but in equal enough proportions.

I think most are reasonably disapointed

I'd safely say Arsenal have made a nett profit in this window.
    10 million spent on Cech but loads of wages saved on loans and transfers.
    Everybody should be happy except most of the fans.

gandalf wrote: »
    There is no meltdown in this thread. I see a lot of discussion which is warranted but not a meltdown. You need to check other threads on the soccer forum for that at the moment :D

And those clubs are signing players............ maybe Arsene is on to something :cool:

And those clubs are signing players............ maybe Arsene is on to something :cool:

Imagine United could have bought the new Sanogo :D

Looks like Southampton have got some Dijk....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What meltdown?

People are expressing how they feel about the lack of cover we have while others seem glad we have a huge bank balance.

I for one didn't expect any signings so i'm not disappointed. I am a little angry though. We could have challenged for a change. Can't see us above third now.
    Not a single person has said theyre glad we've a huge bank balance. For God's sake..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

@RorySmithTimes: Remember everyone: your team's problems are caused and resolved by what has or hasn't happened in the transfer market. Nothing else.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Not a single person has said theyre glad we've a huge bank balance. For God's sake..

Plenty have mentioned players not being worth so much money, we shouldn't buy such a player at that price etc. Same thing.
    I leave the money side of the club to the accountants. If we need the big players then go and get them whatever the cost. We can afford them apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Plenty have mentioned players not being worth so much money, we shouldn't buy such a player at that price etc. Same thing.
    I leave the money side of the club to the accountants. If we need the big players then go and get them whatever the cost. We can afford them apparently.
    So you leave the money side of things to the "accountants", but you'll happily comment on the "transfer" side of things? Can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What big players? Going around in circles lol. Sure throw 30m at Gomis, I don't care. But when he scores 10 goals in 31 games it won't be the bank balance thats hurt, it'll be our league position. There's more to transfer punts than cost.

AdamD wrote: »
    What big players? Going around in circles lol. Sure throw 30m at Gomis, I don't care. But when he scores 10 goals in 31 games it won't be the bank balance thats hurt, it'll be our league position. There's more to transfer punts than cost.

What if he scores 20 goals lol.

So you leave the money side of things to the "accountants", but you'll happily comment on the "transfer" side of things? Can't have it both ways.

Im not an accountant but Im pretty sure we have 10 times more than we paid for check in the bank.

• Advertisement

Then Arsene is a genius.

Dont buy he is protecting the club

Buy and he fails then he took a chance

With some the club and Arsene is always right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I think your mixing up what people have said. And who has said what.

Anyway I'm disappointed there wasn't some ozil-esque signing, there's still hope..?

But if the team get going they wont be far off anyway. Exciting times ahead regardless of transfer window!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Giroud is about as likely to do that, Gomis has never done it and is older (assuming you mean league goals).

I'd still happily take Gomis as another option though.

Who knows exactly what amount of money we have to spend?
    Accountants.
    If I look at a nice suit in a window and it costs 500 euro then i can't buy it if I only have 400.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Giroud is about as likely to do that, Gomis has never done it and is older (assuming you mean league goals).

I'd still happily take Gomis as another option though.

I wasn't comparing him to Giroud initially. I was talking about Welbeck.
    Gomis is however as likely to score as many as Giroud anyway.

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    I think your mixing up what people have said. And who has said what.

Anyway I'm disappointed there wasn't some ozil-esque signing, there's still hope..?

But if the team get going they wont be far off anyway. Exciting times ahead regardless of transfer window!

Hopefully but if we get a serious injury to Coq or Giroud, as many have said we could, then we have poor back-up. That could be the difference of winning and coming third.

Hopefully but if we get a serious injury to Coq or Giroud, as many have said we could, then we have poor back-up. That could be the difference of winning and coming third.

Ah hopefully the other lads can do a stint if there are serious injuries. I'm banking on no serious ones, they deserve a few months of that at least ha

Ah hopefully the other lads can do a stint if there are serious injuries. I'm banking on no serious ones, they deserve a few months of that at least ha

Again hopefully it won't happen. BUT if we were a goal down and Giroud had to go off i'd rather throw on Gomis than Welbeck.

Again hopefully it won't happen. BUT if we were a goal down and Giroud had to go off i'd rather throw on Gomis than Welbeck.

Oh ya? You think Arsenal should have went for him? Don't know much about him myself, watched him in Swansea United is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im not overly annoyed as such, just disappointed that a window that promised so much with the early signing of Cech failed to deliver. The bottom line is that there is money to spend and its not our job to find the players so stop asking for names. There are plenty of scouts who get paid plenty to do this. Sometimes it doesnt need to be a £50 million superstar but a player with the right attributes to fit into our system and they should be able to be found.

What does annoy me though is the ticket prices, our club charges stupid money to go watch at the emirates and I feel that the fans who pay week in week out deserve better than some silly brush off excuses. If the same failings and injuries derail our season again then I really dont see how Wenger will survive much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Apparently we're the only club in Europe's top five league to have not signed an outfield player this summer. :o

Oh ya? You think Arsenal should have went for him? Don't know much about him myself, watched him in Swansea United is all.

If we needed a striker I would want better than Giroud.
    When we didn't buy i said Gomis would be better than Welbeck as a replacement for Giroud if he was injured.

Apparently we're the only club in Europe's top five league to have not signed an outfield player this summer. :o

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/ar...laide-lequipe/

When we didn't buy i said Gomis would be better than Welbeck as a replacement for Giroud if he was injured.

I must be getting tired! That confuses me :)

So you don't want Gomis ?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    So you don't want Gomis ?

I would prefer him to Welbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Welbz will surely improve, both his overall play and goal scoring.

Giroud is nearly 29 and is probably as good as he is going to be right now. I wish he would run around a bit more.

If we are waiting for one of the top 10 strikers in the world, then we could be in for a long long wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Not even a good fake rumour going now :pac:

https://twitter.com/LaurensJulien/status/638717899822247936

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Think the worst thing is that every time you think we're going to push on we don't. Great finish last season ****e start this one. Buys cech early ignores other problems.

But there arent any players out there who improve us, how in the name of god did all the other clubs find players they think will improve them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not even a good fake rumour going now :pac:

https://twitter.com/LaurensJulien/status/638717899822247936

So if I'm getting this right, we're not actually doing anything or trying anything at all today whatsoever. We 'tried' with PSG yesterday, it didn't work and that was it.

But there arent any players out there who improve us, how in the name of god did all the other clubs find players they think will improve them?

Because they are looking for a lower level of player or have more money? Arsenal fall in between? I dunno! Or was it a rhetorical question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

So if I'm getting this right, we're not actually doing anything or trying anything at all today whatsoever. We 'tried' with PSG yesterday, it didn't work and that was it.

Seems like we are trying to loan that Russian fella who only has a year left on his contract, some faith there in him by Wenger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Seems like we are trying to loan that Russian fella who only has a year left on his contract, some faith there in him by Wenger :pac:

I'd rather Austin than him. But he just tweeted and it looks like he is staying at QPR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger has a previous TV commitment. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement