Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We need Campbell and Welbeck to push on

I trust Welbeck he will be our new striker banging them in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

SlickRic wrote: »
    it still amazes me nearly every window.

Arsenal could easily be aggressive and just buy what they need, just for one window, and see what happens. it's not like it's like to risk the club getting top 4.

one striker, one DM, and potentially a CB, and City could actually be challenged.

Reasonable expectation like the above are frowned upon, we are happy we have complete squad we only want top class talent, there are none available if there are name them. everyone else who bought is panic buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Honey Monster who could he have signed?

United like us need a first class striker. They have shot their load on a very talented but still raw 19 year old.

I'm not at all worried that they don't.

That makes no sense
    We need Campbell and Welbeck to push on

I trust Welbeck he will be our new striker banging them in

I rate Welbeck a lot I think he is a player for the bigger away games. Really surprised Campbell is still her I still dont expect he is part of the plans

one striker, one DM, and potentially a CB, and City could actually be challenged.

Until FFP is actually enforced we won't be in a realistic position to challenge sugar daddy clubs like City.

gandalf wrote: »

United like us need a first class striker. They have shot their load on a very talented but still raw 19 year old.

Jaysus Christ Gandalf I'm okay with us not signing anyone but for the love of god can this question be banned from this thread :)

Until FFP is actually enforced we won't be in a realistic position to challenge sugar daddy clubs like City.

FFP is dead in the water it will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Soups123 wrote: »
    That makes no sense

I rate Welbeck a lot I think he is a player for the bigger away games. Really surprised Campbell is still her I still dont expect he is part of the plans

Welbeck will be the real deal I can feel it

Jury is out on Campbell

There's loooooooooads of players, everyone knows that.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Christ Gandalf I'm okay with us not signing anyone but for the love of god can this question be banned from this thread :)

Why its the most pertinent question to be asked. There was a very limited pool of players we could have bought given the desire was to improve on the first team. We sorted the GK position but not the CF or the DM positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I agree with much in here. At least overspending is more fun than checking a large bank balance.

Two points though.

1: we bought 5 outfield players and a GK last year and brought through Coq and Bellerin.

2: Worst window ever! Would have liked Vidal. Not sure anyone else that moved really does a whole lot for us.

Of course, a signing, any signing would have been nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

These drama posts always follow too, most of what you say above does not represent what the majority have said here

Drama, you may call it that sure. It's passion, hope, disappointment...and frustration.
    I won't ask if you're happy with the 4th place trophy every year because you're obviously not, we all want to win a league or a champione league, but please, if you can defend Wengers transfer policy this summer go ahead. It just amazes me every year how we can only be one or two players short of being a title winning side and Wengers inability or stubborness to get the required players just frustrates the life out of me. And whats worse is that I continue to be shocked year after year...

It's been said for years by some fans that Wenger needs to go, that he's gone stale and he somehow manages to win them round by winning FA cups, for me - that's not good enough, and it's not good enough by the high standards Wenger himself has set by having such an amazing start to his Arsenal career, those first few years, the invincible team - fcuking magic!! He has gone stale, more of a company man now...and it's a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

to be fair we have a very strong squad. we have added a world class player every season for the past three seasons.

We don't have a clue or an iota of an idea who Wenger inquired about. most logical people will realise that real top class strikers are unavailable. The stupidest posts you see are on Twitter...throw 60 million at PSG, Real or Bayern for Cavani, Benzema or Lewandowski. as if for a start they need the money...nope...want to part with their top strikers...nope.

then you have lads suggesting that players like Lacazette, Gomis, Bacca, Martinez should be signed or somewhere near this bracket. nonsense.

Manchester United needed a top striker more than us in terms of depth. They ended up paying crazy money for a 19 year old from Monaco. IF that doesn't demonstrate the dearth of talent available I don't know what does.

so again we don't have a clue who we inquired for in the top bracket...and likewise I don't know if we did either but most sensible, logical people would suggest they had a list...didn't get what they wanted and decided not to splash out on another Welbeck/Walcott standard to calm the keyboard warriors across the world who seem to equate transfers near deadline day to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It's not City's fault we consistently fail to being on the players we need.

Basil3 wrote: »
    There's loooooooooads of players, everyone knows that.

Not the Marque signings that everyone seems to be expecting there isn't.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many clubs are happy with this window?

Chelsea? Nope
    United? No way
    Liverpool? Nope
    Tottenham? Nope

I really think city supporters are probably the only happy supporters of the top half clubs. It also helps that they're on 4/4 in the league.

The arguement of "theres no top players available" is more rubbish. The likes of Chelsea, City, Barca, Bayern etc don't wait around for players to become available like we seem to do, they go in and bloody take what they want.

It's a good question though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

They'll say, it's not my job, and around it goes.....
    round and round it's been going for weeks.

The one job that can be done is criticising though :)

The arguement of "theres no top players available" is more rubbish. The likes of Chelsea, City, Barca, Bayern etc don't wait around for players to become available like we seem to do, they go in and bloody take what they want.

Ok who could we have "taken" that they signed then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I said it only a week or two ago but if Sanchez doesn't find the same goal scoring form that he had last year who is going to score the goals this year?

we have signed a world class player every year for 3 years now. what top striker have we clearly failed to recruit owing to the fault being on Wenger/Arsenal this season??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Higuain - Upgrade on Giroud
    Icardi, Lacazette - Young and a different option to Giroud, potentially world class.

Back to bigging up Welbeck. Ah well.

I said it only a week or two ago but if Sanchez doesn't find the same goal scoring form that he had last year who is going to score the goals this year?

We have plenty of players who can score goals when they are on top of their game. The problem at the moment is that our attacking players are misfiring.

As I said earlier in this thread the day they all click the opponents on that day are in for a spanking.

Ok who could we have "taken" that they signed then?

I give up. I really do.

I give up. I really do.

I take it that you are unable to back up your opinion with examples then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Right lads, back to the matches.
    Let's hope we fight to get 3rd again.

better play the full team against Spurs in the cup now. Want the double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I don't think there is much fight in this thread, think most have given up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

At the end of the day, we still have the same outfield squad that finished 12 points behind the champions last season. Unless Wenger sees Cech making up those points by himself, I can't see how he could think we're good enough now to be title challengers.

Icardi, Lacazette - Young and a different option to Giroud, potentially world class.

credible suggestions to be fair. personally not gone on Higuain...misses some absolute sitters too....all round game not as good as Giroud. wouldn't have minded him coming off the bench though!

other two do have great potential. Presume Walcott and Welbeck at similar stages though now in terms of current impact if ha get me.

We got third last year with our main striker and creative midfielder out for 3 months each, along with no DM for the first half of the season, and no Walcott for the entire season.

Why do you think we can't do any better this year?

symbolic wrote: »
    I don't think there is much fight in this thread, think most have given up.

Ah we'll be back on track again in no time.

Was he available? The price I saw him being quoted for was eye watering and I don't think he is a major step up from Giroud.

Yep fair enough you have a point there and I am worried that if Giroud has another injury like last year we are exposed and would have to recall Akpom from Hull.

better play the full team against Spurs in the cup now. Want the double.

We should always play the strongest team against that crowd!

Drama, you may call it that sure. It's passion, hope, disappointment...and frustration.
    I won't ask if you're happy with the 4th place trophy every year because you're obviously not, we all want to win a league or a champione league, but please, if you can defend Wengers transfer policy this summer go ahead. It just amazes me every year how we can only be one or two players short of being a title winning side and Wengers inability or stubborness to get the required players just frustrates the life out of me. And whats worse is that I continue to be shocked year after year...

It's been said for years by some fans that Wenger needs to go, that he's gone stale and he somehow manages to win them round by winning FA cups, for me - that's not good enough, and it's not good enough by the high standards Wenger himself has set by having such an amazing start to his Arsenal career, those first few years, the invincible team - fcuking magic!! He has gone stale, more of a company man now...and it's a killer.

I wasnt referring to your posy I understand your point completely I was referencing the post I quoted???

At the end of the day, we still have the same outfield squad that finished 12 points behind the champions last season. Unless Wenger sees Cech making up those points by himself, I can't see how he could think we're good enough now to be title challengers.

i thought the season was over already?

city has already won, but we have made up the 12 points on last year's champs no problem.

credible suggestions to be fair. personally not gone on Higuain...misses some absolute sitters too....all round game not as good as Giroud. wouldn't have minded him coming off the bench though!

other two do have great potential. Presume Walcott and Welbeck at similar stages though now in terms of current impact if ha get me.

Icardi at the age of 22 and Lacazette at the age of 24 were the top goalscorers in Italy and France last year respectively. Give me them over Walcott/Welbeck any day of the week.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    We got third last year with our main striker and creative midfielder out for 3 months each, along with no DM for the first half of the season, and no Walcott for the entire season.

Why do you think we can't do any better this year?

The others have strengthened and have shown ambition.
    I don't think we have. We have a very good first 11 but when injuries or suspensions happen our back-up is not good enough in my opinion.

will we beat Chelsea in a couple of weeks time?

How many of you would have taken RVP back today?

I take it that you are unable to back up your opinion with examples then?

My point was that we shouldn't be waiting around for players to become available, we're the seventh richest club in the world, that put's us ahead of the likes of Juventus, Dortmund, Inter, Athletico, Napoli...all the likes of the clubs we should be well able to bully.
    The same way the likes of the clubs above us do when they want one of our players like Chelsea, Barca, Manchester Clubs etc. Theres only a few clubs in the world I believe we can't buy off, those ahead of us and PSG where money doesn't matter.

Wenger is showing no initiative in the transfer window, I absolutely hate "who could we have bought" and "buying a player for the sake of it" crap because if Wenger had shown some initiative the same way City and Chelsea did we wouldn't have ended up holding our mickeys again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Reasonable expectation like the above are frowned upon, we are happy we have complete squad we only want top class talent, there are none available if there are name them. everyone else who bought is panic buying

Did City 'need' De Bruyne?
    Did they 'need' Otamendi?

No, not necessarily. they just saw players who could be useful to them, and aggressively went out and bought them, because they want to win at all costs.

Wenger doesn't.

What would stop Arsenal going after John Stones? I know it likely wouldn't have worked as Everton have stayed stubborn, but why not try?

I just think Wenger is so desperate for 'value' that it's actually hindering Arsenal's ability to keep up the way they should be able to. they're just choosing not to spend money that is there.

Icardi at the age of 22 and Lacazette at the age of 24 were the top goalscorers in Italy and France last year respectively. Give me them over Walcott/Welbeck any day of the week.

lacazette couldn't score against any of the top 5 in France or some crazy stat like that. would be a worry. Strange United didn't go in for him.

• Advertisement

lacazette couldn't score against any of the top 5 in France or some crazy stat like that. would be a worry. Strange United didn't go in for him.

He might have been a more riskier prospect but at least he would have been a different option. Cant see a reason for not going for/wanting Icardi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Did City 'need' De Bruyne?
    Did they 'need' Otamendi?

No, not necessarily. they just saw players who could be useful to them, and aggressively went out and bought them, because they want to win at all costs.

Wenger doesn't.

What would stop Arsenal going after John Stones? I know it likely wouldn't have worked as Everton have stayed stubborn, but why not try?

I just think Wenger is so desperate for 'value' that it's actually hindering Arsenal's ability to keep up the way they should be able to. they're just choosing not to spend money that is there.

Wenger is over-cautious but I don't think the solution is to go and buy players we don't need like City.

For all the players they don't need, try seem to still have a lot of needs.

everyone else bought 5 or more, the biggest window spend every and we bought Cech.

TBH now its closed and there is no hope of a signing I'm kinda just meh. Disapointed but onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why its the most pertinent question to be asked. There was a very limited pool of players we could have bought given the desire was to improve on the first team. We sorted the GK position but not the CF or the DM positions.

Nothing against you in particular but this is an common opinion I dont understand.
    There is plenty of room for improvement in the first team, its not like we are league champions or gave a long run in the champions league recently with this bunch of players. We should be looking at all/any options to strengthen any part of the pitch if the chance arises, not just the 1 or 2 obvious areas.
    I said in an earlier post, sometimes the best most suitable signing doesnt have to be an obvious player or a bank buster, thats why the scouting network is there, to find these players.

At the end of the day there is more than Wenger to blame for our lack of activity in the transfer market, you would swear that he is the only one in the club responsible.

Doesn't matter who we sign they'd get injured anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement